Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Just my two cents on expansion of the SEC and the 12 team CFP

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Just my two cents on expansion of the SEC and the 12 team CFP

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:57 pm

When I heard about the 12 team CFP, I was of the opinion that conferences would get smaller...Maybe break back out to 8 team conferences. An 8 team ACC would have a good shot at getting one of the highest rated 6 conference spots and would lead to more regionalized (probably not a word) conferences. The power 5 would become the power 8. I feel like winning a conference championship every 16 years has really hurt some pretty good past teams. IE Florida State, NC State.

With the news that SEC is expanding, now I am thinking the big break away is coming.

If the break away does not happen there are going to be some really pissed off teams and fans when they don't sniff a conference championship. Some believe Clemson is good because of money. Boston College gets the same amount of money but the good kids don't want to go there because they are "Losers" in an 18 year-old's mind. The new SEC can only have one champion. It will lead to the new big? to have a new champion and get good fast. If the AAC stays at 10 if raided it will lead to their champion to get better quickly. Kids want to go to the university that is winning. Florida State, Southern California, UCLA, Nebraska were at the top for a long time but it is hard to get back once you start losing. In the new 20 team SEC some so called "Blue Bloods" are going to finish 8th or worst OFTEN!!!!!!!!! fans will lose interest quickly and it is hard to claw your way back to the top when all the talent starts going to the one that is winning.

Long live App being at the top in a small conference.

Stonewall

Re: Just my two cents on expansion of the SEC and the 12 team CFP

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:19 am

Kids are now also making decisions based upon NIL and where they can make the most money.It's been reported that some Bama players are already under seven figure contracts.We have a new professional league.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:29 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:19 am
Kids are now also making decisions based upon NIL and where they can make the most money.It's been reported that some Bama players are already under seven figure contracts.We have a new professional league.
off topic, relating to NIL. I heard there is 3 star basketball player that went to a mid major that got a 7 figure contract from a shoe company because his dad is a famous rapper? My the world is passing me by. :lol:
BLACK SATURDAY

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am

It is apparent that the SEC's motivation is to control their own destiny, not be dictated by NCAA or other entities, while maximizing their revenue stream. By collecting the major players (schools) they have more control and more per capita revenue. I think the old model of conferences and size are changing. The largest players (SEC) will dictate the rules of engagement and others will have to adapt as best as possible.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:40 am

Stonewall wrote:
Saban is going to offer kids based on their ability to maintain the football standards. That is his focus and that is his expectation of focus for his players.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 am

The SEC is clearly going to a pay for play model (hell it has been that way for some players for years anyways). They have the power, the money and the willingness to do so. Go back and listen to Sankey's speech at media days. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I realize the foreshadowing that he was eluding to when he said that the SEC must have a "legally defensible" system. No question in my mind he is talking about directly paying athletes. Once this happens, it will become another NFL (which I haven't followed for over a decade) and the best players will go wherever they can get money regardless of winning. Hell, it can be strongly argued now that the majority of P5 recruits don't really care about winning in choosing a school because more than half the schools don't win and the kids still willingly go there. I really fear this expansion is going to lead to a result that not many fans really like or want, and I usually don't have a debby downer outlook on life.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:00 pm

Just some what-ifs and extreme hypothetical situations.

If the SEC goes to 20 schools I assume the other Prig conferences will try and do the same power grab. But what if the other Prig conferences decide to continue more or less as they have either because they like the current set-up or they just can't pull off what the SEC seems to be trying? Yes they would continue to have more money and prestige but the remaining Prig 4 schools and the other 110 FBS schools and the other 300 DI schools just completely ignore the SEC and do not schedule them for ANY OOC games for any sports. Just shut them out. I know football is scheduled way far out but most sports are not scheduled more than a year out or maybe two years out.

The human polls can rank as they see fit. but from my understanding the computer polls do work at some level due to the interconnections that come from OOC games where the OOC games serve as a stand-in for the entire conference when they weight opponents and opponents of opponents and such.

There are some other collegiate athletic organizations beyond NCAA and NAIA. There is also the NCCAA for smaller Christian and Bible schools. Generally DI is not going to do much with non NCAA schools but I know App basketball has played some NAIA teams as a member of the Sun Belt it seems, and NC A&T was playing a NCCAA school in Lynchburg when they were in the cellar before their turn to better football a few years ago. A bylaw that allowed some of these other organizations to be included in scheduling while excluding the SEC might could be done. It would require someone to step up and help out the WCU schools that need that paycheck from an SEC school.

I don't have a problem with NIL and I support some form of collective bargaining for college athletes but with limits and the understanding this is still about amateur sports. So I am not directly opposed to the SEC being a conference that can and does pay players in some modest fashion.

There are a few reasons the NFL is the national sport and baseball no longer holds that position. One reason is the parity across the league that allows big markets and small markets to have a shot at the title. Baseball not so much. CFB is getting to be more like baseball and what the SEC does here is likely to make it even more so. March Madness is exciting, at least in my view, for the Cinderella stories, not for another Prig5 school winning, which usually happens.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:22 pm

Is there any chance the SEC "assists" a couple of their current teams to find a new conference?
WE ARE YOSEF!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:46 pm

No way that happens, the SEC really is all about unity hence why it was a unanimous vote to let in Tx and Ok.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 pm

Is signing day going to be even more of a fiasco? Are some of these guys going to have different sponsors hats on the table? How about those delusional guys who have been told by crazy uncles that they are the best? How many Alabama recruits are expecting paydays that aren’t gonna happen? Going to be a shit show.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:46 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:22 pm
Is there any chance the SEC "assists" a couple of their current teams to find a new conference?
If I was an SEC University CEO I would ask for decades worth of SEC TV money to make up for the difference. At that point it would be financially better to just keep the schools. Are there provisions to kick a school out of the Prig5 conferences. I am sure there is something for flagrant rules violations but without proof a judge would issue an injunction to stop the forced removal so the only way anyone is leaving is under their own accord, and that means paying them off and that would take hella money.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:46 am

$55 million per SEC school last year.
BLACK SATURDAY

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 pm
Is signing day going to be even more of a fiasco? Are some of these guys going to have different sponsors hats on the table? How about those delusional guys who have been told by crazy uncles that they are the best? How many Alabama recruits are expecting paydays that aren’t gonna happen? Going to be a shit show.
If a kid signs with Bama he's going to make money on day one.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:40 am
Stonewall wrote:
Saban is going to offer kids based on their ability to maintain the football standards. That is his focus and that is his expectation of focus for his players.
And those kids are going to make money .The top programs have increased their recruiting advantages through NIL.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
And those kids are going to make money .The top programs have increased their recruiting advantages through NIL.
I think that it could certainly change the tone of the pitch in recruiting. But the bottom line is that the good coaches are going to recruit on the field talent and a kid that is foolish enough to outwardly admit that NIL opportunities are a factor, isn’t going to sit well with a coach. If you have a chance, go watch the Georgia Southern press conference from Sun Belt media day. One of the players was asked about NIL. He had the perfect response from what you want the mindset of the players to be. He said, and I am paraphrasing, that while he is open to entertaining offers, he understands that he is only getting those offers because of his play on the field. My point is that a kid going to a certain school is going to get more opportunities than others, but if he doesn’t put in the work to become a starter, then there is diminished value in that NIL.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:58 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
I think that it could certainly change the tone of the pitch in recruiting. But the bottom line is that the good coaches are going to recruit on the field talent and a kid that is foolish enough to outwardly admit that NIL opportunities are a factor, isn’t going to sit well with a coach. If you have a chance, go watch the Georgia Southern press conference from Sun Belt media day. One of the players was asked about NIL. He had the perfect response from what you want the mindset of the players to be. He said, and I am paraphrasing, that while he is open to entertaining offers, he understands that he is only getting those offers because of his play on the field. My point is that a kid going to a certain school is going to get more opportunities than others, but if he doesn’t put in the work to become a starter, then there is diminished value in that NIL.
Dude, could you have at least changed team reference to some other. Now we have to live with a good quote from a Stink on the message board for as long as this thread lives.,,, 😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:25 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:58 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am
Stonewall wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
Dude, could you have at least changed team reference to some other. Now we have to live with a good quote from a Stink on the message board for as long as this thread lives.,,, 😂
You know, I really wanted to. But in all honesty, it was a good presser. The first guy asking questions called Lundsford Coach. He immediately quipped back, “you can call me Chad.”

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 pm

Not sure that key players on big programs are going to need to put the work in before they get paid. Alabama's sophomore QB Bryce Young has yet to start a game and has already SIGNED over 800,000 in NIL deals with larger ones still pending. Only work he has demonstrated is the high school film that had him as the number 1QB recruit in the nation and limited mop up duty against well beaten teams last year. This guy is almost a millionaire simply because he is the projected starting QB at bama. He could blow an ankle and never play and he would still have a really really good nest egg for his future. This won't be the last guy to become rich without starting through NIL. It's like in the NFL before they restructured the draft payments for QB, the unproven rookie (many of which never did squat) was one of if not the highest paid players on the team without even playing a down. If there aren't some type of limits, it will get that way in college as well. The top high school recruits will be millionaires before playing a down, and we all know how often a top high school guy never does anything in college football.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:47 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 pm
Not sure that key players on big programs are going to need to put the work in before they get paid. Alabama's sophomore QB Bryce Young has yet to start a game and has already SIGNED over 800,000 in NIL deals with larger ones still pending. Only work he has demonstrated is the high school film that had him as the number 1QB recruit in the nation and limited mop up duty against well beaten teams last year. This guy is almost a millionaire simply because he is the projected starting QB at bama. He could blow an ankle and never play and he would still have a really really good nest egg for his future. This won't be the last guy to become rich without starting through NIL. It's like in the NFL before they restructured the draft payments for QB, the unproven rookie (many of which never did squat) was one of if not the highest paid players on the team without even playing a down. If there aren't some type of limits, it will get that way in college as well. The top high school recruits will be millionaires before playing a down, and we all know how often a top high school guy never does anything in college football.
I wonder if the percentages of college players getting all this big money that will become broke from crapping their money mirrors the ones in the professional leagues?
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:52 pm

The closer we've caught up to the big boys, could the NIL make us further behind?
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”