Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AAC just lost their big 3

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: AAC just lost their big 3

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:42 am
Not trying to apologize for this fiasco, but please keep in mind that the staff is severely short handed. Resources, or lack there of, is a major route cause for the ineptness.
Renewals were done in Aprilish.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:52 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:42 am
Not trying to apologize for this fiasco, but please keep in mind that the staff is severely short handed. Resources, or lack there of, is a major route cause for the ineptness.
Renewals were done in Aprilish.
Yes. I would agree that whatever the plan was, it didn’t work.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 am

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:02 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:27 am
Worth a read

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/08/b ... o-reaction
Dose of reality not even being mentioned as a possible candidate but the one hit wonders and Char are. Thanks to all those huge App fans out there who can’t manage to throw a few bucks Yosef's way. You don't like sports, I totally get it. You’re the 1% who love the Apps but truly cant afford 50 bucks a year, I hear that. The rest of those 15k at the games (not students), or folks that complain when we lose or play poorly, this slap in the face is sponsored by them. I know its a personal choice, but so is my choice to rant. One article doesn't mean it wont happen, and maybe we don’t want to go AAC, but not being mentioned sucks. Thanks huge “fans”. PS, don’t give me TV markets if their looking at Boise.
I can understand Charlotte for the tv market and success of a few programs. Although it’s a stretch for such a new football program but I guess thats what’s being located in Charlotte gets you.
But coastal? One baseball championship and one good football season during a pandemic and they vault into the discussion?

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:24 am

So this is probably going to ruffle some feathers here, but this is something that was hammered into me while in the Navy: don't bring problems, bring solutions. We all know what our limitations are as an Athletic Department, they are not new. So instead of us lamenting on message board about the disparity between the amount of donors v. Living Alumni; why can't we formulate a new way to engage those alumni. There are enough of us here who are constantly engaged and we all want to see the App brand grow, but it's not just going to magically happen. If we are being completely honest with ourselves we have no model to follow. We can't be UCF; we just can't have that level of enrollment (50k+) and be home to one of the largest media markets in the region. Now Boise State is closer to us in enrollment size, but what institutes are they competing with for fans? Idaho? Idaho St? Washington? Washington State? The point is they don't have to compete with 4 in state P5s(plus Tennessee and VT near by) another G5 in a Media Hub(Char) and another G5(ECU) with a decent history and large following. Essentially we HAVE to reinvent the wheel if we want to grow and prosper. I fully believe we can do it and increase our financial giving base, but we need to do more than post things like "give to yosef" or "donate the score" (btw those are great things but we need more). There are some very smart, dedicated people on this board and there is absolutely no reason we can't make something happen......What say you?
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:59 am

Stewart Mandel wrote yesterday that App should be one of the four added to the AAC. There are lots of people on the message boards who want App in the AAC. I don't know if it will happen, or if I even want it to happen, but taking one article where we weren't mentioned is not an accurate gauge of the thoughts out there.

We are a fringe candidate, at best, for the AAC. We don't fit their profile for public universities, and our budget is way smaller than a lot of the other schools being considered, but we are in the conversation.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:27 am

My final thought is that too many of us look at things from the App perspective. Look at this from the AAC perspective, what's Appalachian's upside. UAB could be the next UCF. Charlotte, the next Memphis. Colorado St., the next Bosie. We are much better than those football programs now, but we are not and may never be in a position to regularly draw 40k+ to our games or play a head coach 2 million.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:31 am

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:24 am
So this is probably going to ruffle some feathers here, but this is something that was hammered into me while in the Navy: don't bring problems, bring solutions. We all know what our limitations are as an Athletic Department, they are not new. So instead of us lamenting on message board about the disparity between the amount of donors v. Living Alumni; why can't we formulate a new way to engage those alumni. There are enough of us here who are constantly engaged and we all want to osee the App brand grow, but it's not just going to magically happen. If we are being completely honest with ourselves we have no model to follow. We can't be UCF; we just can't have that level of enrollment (50k+) and be home to one of the largest media markets in the region. Now Boise State is closer to us in enrollment size, but what institutes are they competing with for fans? Idaho? Idaho St? Washington? Washington State? The point is they don't have to compete with 4 in state P5s(plus Tennessee and VT near by) another G5 in a Media Hub(Char) and another G5(ECU) with a decent history and large following. Essentially we HAVE to reinvent the wheel if we want to grow and prosper. I fully believe we can do it and increase our financial giving base, but we need to do more than post things like "give to yosef" or "donate the score" (btw those are great things but we need more). There are some very smart, dedicated people on this board and there is absolutely no reason we can't make something happen......What say you?
I say OK! Here are a couple of suggestions (and they may already be in the works). 1- designate someone/or a committee to find out what needs to be done to get Luke Combs his degree from Appalachian State University. It’s been reported that he’s just a semester short and with on line school and remote learning, it seems ( provided he’s willing/ able) easier to get him “Degreed”. Then make a big deal out of it.(news release, ceremony or something). Use that to approach him about becoming a benefactor. (Eric Church as well). 2- we do have a fair number of NFL players. They have incomes WELL above the average ASU alum. Approach them individually, or better still, as a group to help financially.
3- Each Yosef Club member should be asked to bring in 1 new member EACH YEAR.( I know we are doing something like this already) make it work by giving rewards for more than one new member. Make it an annual thing. Maybe give extra points to members accounts. Most of the folks on this board are smarter than I and I am confident we can come up with more and better ideas. One more thing( and like Navy App , this may ruffle some feathers) … what we are doing now isn’t showing the results we need, so please do not respond to my post by telling me why these things won’t work, try to be as positive as possible and give NEW ideas, at least, a fair review.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:33 am

AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Worth a read

Dose of reality not even being mentioned as a possible candidate but the one hit wonders and Char are. Thanks to all those huge App fans out there who can’t manage to throw a few bucks Yosef's way. You don't like sports, I totally get it. You’re the 1% who love the Apps but truly cant afford 50 bucks a year, I hear that. The rest of those 15k at the games (not students), or folks that complain when we lose or play poorly, this slap in the face is sponsored by them. I know its a personal choice, but so is my choice to rant. One article doesn't mean it wont happen, and maybe we don’t want to go AAC, but not being mentioned sucks. Thanks huge “fans”. PS, don’t give me TV markets if their looking at Boise.
I wouldn't put much stock in the SI article, this dude just picked random names from CUSA/SBC.
Every negative for App is magnified for CCU. They are a much lower ranked regional uni with a lower budget, worse basketball and less students.

Ark St is rarely mentioned as well.

UNCC probably is having regular conversations with the AAC due to their zip code though.

UAB does appear to have near universal support though.

If App is not going to the AAC, the best thing for us is for the AAC to go the marketz route and invite UNCC, Ga State etc.

Yeah we'll have to deal with the UNCC fans beating their chest and talking about how they've "finally" passed App, but they already did that when they got the CUSA invite. Hell they do that now and they can't even sell out their FB stadium for an instate ACC school and our mens bball has passed them.

Whats going to happen when Memphis gets their ticket out of the AAC? The marketz schools are going to get in and play schools no one cares about and all that will be left of the AAC is the memory of achievements by schools no longer in the conference.

Meanwhile we can get to the business of inviting Marshall and one other to the SBC and just pass them in FB anyway.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am

Looking at the SI article - I just don't see why a MWC school would leave for the AAC, they just surpassed the AAC by UCF, Houston and Cincy leaving. If anything the MWC may even look at adding SMU. Also, If I'm Navy - I'm seriously considering going Independent again in Football.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:40 am

Why are we not up in arms about not applying for a Big 12 invite? :D
WE ARE YOSEF!

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:12 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:33 am
AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Worth a read

I wouldn't put much stock in the SI article, this dude just picked random names from CUSA/SBC.
Every negative for App is magnified for CCU. They are a much lower ranked regional uni with a lower budget, worse basketball and less students.

Ark St is rarely mentioned as well.

UNCC probably is having regular conversations with the AAC due to their zip code though.

UAB does appear to have near universal support though.

If App is not going to the AAC, the best thing for us is for the AAC to go the marketz route and invite UNCC, Ga State etc.

Yeah we'll have to deal with the UNCC fans beating their chest and talking about how they've "finally" passed App, but they already did that when they got the CUSA invite. Hell they do that now and they can't even sell out their FB stadium for an instate ACC school and our mens bball has passed them.

Whats going to happen when Memphis gets their ticket out of the AAC? The marketz schools are going to get in and play schools no one cares about and all that will be left of the AAC is the memory of achievements by schools no longer in the conference.

Meanwhile we can get to the business of inviting Marshall and one other to the SBC and just pass them in FB anyway.
If the AAC is in conversation with UNCC because of their zip code, they are being short sighted. As referenced by others previously, it means nothing if they do not have fans engaged enough to fill the stadium or watch games on television; it is only geography. If real numbers are considered over phantom numbers, Appalachian is a much better media draw for the CLT region.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:24 am

AppOrange wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Worth a read

Boise has a lot more eyeballs. I'm with you on the rest though. I don't understand how we're so bad at raising money. it's kind of impressive how NOBODY donates. I try to get my friends to and they're like, well I go to games or give all kinds of reasons why they can't donate. Even if 15,000 people of the 100,000 living alumni donated $50, that would be huge, but for whatever reason we can't get that. We'll never get to that next level without more money donated by the fanbase and that's the reality.

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:30 am

97APP wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am
Looking at the SI article - I just don't see why a MWC school would leave for the AAC, they just surpassed the AAC by UCF, Houston and Cincy leaving. If anything the MWC may even look at adding SMU. Also, If I'm Navy - I'm seriously considering going Independent again in Football.
Agreed. That's message board wishful thinking level suggestions. A full strength AAC couldn't get Boise and a few others to bite. There's no way they'll move for a lateral money move at best. Especially if it means going cross country for all sports.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:56 am

I would like to be a member of the new AAC. That said, I have zero expectation that it will happen. In fact, I’d bet against us getting an invite for all the reasons we know.

I’m also not going to be upset if it doesn’t happen. It’s not a need, it’s a want.

The Sun Belt has proven to be a great conference and if the “worst case” is status quo, that’s damn good.

We will just keep winning ball games.
YNWA

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:24 am
So this is probably going to ruffle some feathers here, but this is something that was hammered into me while in the Navy: don't bring problems, bring solutions. We all know what our limitations are as an Athletic Department, they are not new. So instead of us lamenting on message board about the disparity between the amount of donors v. Living Alumni; why can't we formulate a new way to engage those alumni. There are enough of us here who are constantly engaged and we all want to see the App brand grow, but it's not just going to magically happen. If we are being completely honest with ourselves we have no model to follow. We can't be UCF; we just can't have that level of enrollment (50k+) and be home to one of the largest media markets in the region. Now Boise State is closer to us in enrollment size, but what institutes are they competing with for fans? Idaho? Idaho St? Washington? Washington State? The point is they don't have to compete with 4 in state P5s(plus Tennessee and VT near by) another G5 in a Media Hub(Char) and another G5(ECU) with a decent history and large following. Essentially we HAVE to reinvent the wheel if we want to grow and prosper. I fully believe we can do it and increase our financial giving base, but we need to do more than post things like "give to yosef" or "donate the score" (btw those are great things but we need more). There are some very smart, dedicated people on this board and there is absolutely no reason we can't make something happen......What say you?
I don't think you are ruffling feathers here as a starter. As for bringing solutions, that works in most cases well and I actually quote that from time to time with my staff at work, but this is a message board, so venting is allowed.

My frustrations start in my own personal circles. I ask folks to join and they don't, yet they go to games and complain when we loose, like the worst kind of complaining. It just irks me because they are not giving their all, but they expect everyone else to. Help or shut up is where I am at lately. I know If I am experiencing this, others on here are as well. As for solutions, I am not as connected to the Athletic Dept./YOSEF Club as some on here are, but I do know we are not set up for success like we should be. I know the financial situations of my family and friends who went to App and we are just not properly cultivating to raise big money. As a professional fundraiser for 25 years, I will say, you have to spend money to make money and you have to have the right people in place to make it happen. Structure, plans, an army of volunteers that you build, the willingness to buy prospecting software/information on your alumni, all that (and a whole lot more) has to be done to truly make money. I have a friend who left our organization to go raise money for the pirate club for a few years and the resources at his finger tips were immense. We can't be doing a lot of that, and not because people in the AD/Yosef club don't want to, but perhaps they either don't know how OR are not being given the resources (which is what I think). I don't have all the answers and won't pretend to, but I know enough, and without going into to much detail, we can do more.

As for TV Market size, I think we sell ourselves short with our proximity to large markets. In this age of streaming/digital media, should we be that concerned about butts that can go to a game? Not according to ESPN who sacrifice our capacity Saturday games for Wednesday night aluminum fests. They put on nationally, so the interest must be there. Our market is fine in this era of media (maybe we have some PR work to do selling this), our brand is strong, we just need more givers and perhaps a shifting on how we spend the money we do have set aside for athletics.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:56 am
I would like to be a member of the new AAC. That said, I have zero expectation that it will happen. In fact, I’d bet against us getting an invite for all the reasons we know.

I’m also not going to be upset if it doesn’t happen. It’s not a need, it’s a want.

The Sun Belt has proven to be a great conference and if the “worst case” is status quo, that’s damn good.

I agree we are in a good position of not needing a conference invite to achieve our goals. I said on twitter this is a win-win for us. Either the AAC weakens itselt relative to the Sunbelt by excluding us, or they invite us and maintain their reputation as the strongest G5 conference.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:14 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:24 am
Boise has a lot more eyeballs. I'm with you on the rest though. I don't understand how we're so bad at raising money. it's kind of impressive how NOBODY donates. I try to get my friends to and they're like, well I go to games or give all kinds of reasons why they can't donate. Even if 15,000 people of the 100,000 living alumni donated $50, that would be huge, but for whatever reason we can't get that. We'll never get to that next level without more money donated by the fanbase and that's the reality.
I'm hoping this will change, and maybe moving to the AAC will change this marginally, but people donate to what they're passionate about. While I would say everyone registered on this board is at least moderately passionate about App football, most people go to the game (if they even go to the game) and don't think about App football at all until the next time they step in the stadium.

Most people on this board are into the stats, who's starting, what went wrong, what went right, injuries, etc. Most people who go to the games have no idea Chase Brice went to Clemson and Duke. Unfortunately, if we're being honest, most people don't get excited or care about teams like Louisiana, App, Coastal, Troy, or any other Sunbelt team. Even though incredibly inaccurate, we're still perceived as one of the worst G5 conferences.

As has been said many times before, we have very very few traditions for such a storied program. Those traditions are what gets and keeps people passionate about their team. They may not care much about the team on the field but they'll care about the feeling of being a part of something as they do the same thing as the 30,000 people around them. I think that's what got ECU to as many donors as they have because they have a rich tradition in Purple Haze and a handful of other things despite dealing with mostly the same roadblocks as App. For some reason every time we get a semblance of a tradition going, the power's at be decide to change it up. Even from my time at App, 95% of the "traditions" we did in the student section get strange looks if you do them in the student section now. That's not how you build passion.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:41 pm

ECU never went 1AA .The Med School and some big time wins over the years that gave them a lot of brand loyalty,"Anytime,anywhere".We have surpassed them in some ways but their base is larger and I believe as passionate.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:06 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 pm
ah59396 wrote:

I agree we are in a good position of not needing a conference invite to achieve our goals. I said on twitter this is a win-win for us. Either the AAC weakens itselt relative to the Sunbelt by excluding us, or they invite us and maintain their reputation as the strongest G5 conference.
Exactly. I’m over here thinking “AAC…please DO invite Ga State, UNCC and ODU. Do us all a favor and add three doormat teams and become the new CUSA.”
YNWA

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:36 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:06 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 pm
ah59396 wrote:

Exactly. I’m over here thinking “AAC…please DO invite Ga State, UNCC and ODU. Do us all a favor and add three doormat teams and become the new CUSA.”
Something like that is best for App if you get left out. Either no SBC teams are taken or someone you probably could do without like Ga State.

That's the difference between Boise and Memphis in this recent expansion round. Both missed out on the golden ticket to the Big 12. But Boise goes home to the status quo, an unchanged MWC. Meanwhile, Memphis goes home to a depleted AAC.

If App comes out like Boise, everything will be alright.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”