Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AAC just lost their big 3

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: AAC just lost their big 3

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:11 pm

97APP wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am
Looking at the SI article - I just don't see why a MWC school would leave for the AAC, they just surpassed the AAC by UCF, Houston and Cincy leaving. If anything the MWC may even look at adding SMU. Also, If I'm Navy - I'm seriously considering going Independent again in Football.
There are two reasons; more money and playing more games in better time zones. West Coast football is at a severe disadvantage for TV dollars and viewers because of three and four hour differences in what everyone on the east coast is doing.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:04 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:14 pm
Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:24 am
Boise has a lot more eyeballs. I'm with you on the rest though. I don't understand how we're so bad at raising money. it's kind of impressive how NOBODY donates. I try to get my friends to and they're like, well I go to games or give all kinds of reasons why they can't donate. Even if 15,000 people of the 100,000 living alumni donated $50, that would be huge, but for whatever reason we can't get that. We'll never get to that next level without more money donated by the fanbase and that's the reality.
I'm hoping this will change, and maybe moving to the AAC will change this marginally, but people donate to what they're passionate about. While I would say everyone registered on this board is at least moderately passionate about App football, most people go to the game (if they even go to the game) and don't think about App football at all until the next time they step in the stadium.

Most people on this board are into the stats, who's starting, what went wrong, what went right, injuries, etc. Most people who go to the games have no idea Chase Brice went to Clemson and Duke. Unfortunately, if we're being honest, most people don't get excited or care about teams like Louisiana, App, Coastal, Troy, or any other Sunbelt team. Even though incredibly inaccurate, we're still perceived as one of the worst G5 conferences.

As has been said many times before, we have very very few traditions for such a storied program. Those traditions are what gets and keeps people passionate about their team. They may not care much about the team on the field but they'll care about the feeling of being a part of something as they do the same thing as the 30,000 people around them. I think that's what got ECU to as many donors as they have because they have a rich tradition in Purple Haze and a handful of other things despite dealing with mostly the same roadblocks as App. For some reason every time we get a semblance of a tradition going, the power's at be decide to change it up. Even from my time at App, 95% of the "traditions" we did in the student section get strange looks if you do them in the student section now. That's not how you build passion.
I agree with the "traditions". I hate when we bring in something from some other college team or pro team. I think it should be all about the players and students. The great fuzzy feeling you get in your "50's" is watching those kids have as much fun as you did. No need to create new traditions. I didn't care for a lot of music played under Satterfield but I think he let the players choose some of it. now I like many of the songs. (They grew on me and I saw how much the players liked them) Let the students choose some of it. Let the players choose some of it. If it was me we would here nothing but "Chilli Peppers" but that was the music when I was at App. I try to remember...others have "their" music. I would like our own traditions. We have them but they keep getting overridden by forced stuff. I think Football we are fine but Basketball makes me sad. Basketball games used to be a lot of fun. That would be my number one goal if I was in charge of AppState. If the students filled the Holmes Arena, we would get better recruits and the students would have a blast.

It would be a shame not to play/hear "Long neck ice cold beer never broke my heart" at every game this year. That could be a tradition and maybe sell some $8 beer.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:02 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:06 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:56 am
I would like to be a member of the new AAC. That said, I have zero expectation that it will happen. In fact, I’d bet against us getting an invite for all the reasons we know.

I’m also not going to be upset if it doesn’t happen. It’s not a need, it’s a want.

The Sun Belt has proven to be a great conference and if the “worst case” is status quo, that’s damn good.

We will just keep winning ball games.
I agree we are in a good position of not needing a conference invite to achieve our goals. I said on twitter this is a win-win for us. Either the AAC weakens itselt relative to the Sunbelt by excluding us, or they invite us and maintain their reputation as the strongest G5 conference.
Exactly. I’m over here thinking “AAC…please DO invite Ga State, UNCC and ODU. Do us all a favor and add three doormat teams and become the new CUSA.”
Exactly, if they go after markets then the SBC will be in prime position to be the top G5 league. Especially if we add a couple of good programs from CUSA.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:57 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:45 am

Get rid of Georgia State, add Marshall. That would also give us an overall win record against teams in the AAC and should last for a long time.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:05 am

The SBC should not get rid of Ga. St. Long-term view is the Atlanta market and television screens if they were to ever get good. Other than a rival back in the old Southern Conference days, Marshall adds no value to an ESPN TV contract...which is what is driving the changes between conferences.

If the remaining teams remain in the AAC, the best place for App. St. would be in the AAC along with ULL. This is based upon just the overall teams played, etc....not considering any additional costs to complete. My personal opinion is that if we are in that conference it would help recruiting even more as well as make getting a ticket for home games more in demand. Would I want to buy a ticket for Memphis or Texas St. Memphis 8 days a week.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 am

We can’t afford to move to the AAC. We don’t have the funds necessary to increase our budgets to compete.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:18 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:57 pm
https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/statu...11297?s=21

Sun Belt could add 2 new members.
I'm not convinced we should go to the AAC (if that was even an option), but if Sunbelt only adds 2 teams, with one of those being ODU as rumored, that would be a let down. There is a chance to really make some waves with this re-alignment, but that doesn't move the needle for me much. Marshall would be a good addition, but I would like to see more than that

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 am

Somebody convince me that Marshall is a good add for the Sun Belt. And please don’t say we were once in a conference together.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:34 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 am
Somebody convince me that Marshall is a good add for the Sun Belt. And please don’t say we were once in a conference together.
I see the Sun Belt as a Group of Five (football) power. Thus, Marshall would be a good fit. Otherwise, I see your point.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:06 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:34 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
I see the Sun Belt as a Group of Five (football) power. Thus, Marshall would be a good fit. Otherwise, I see your point.
Yep, that's really the only argument needed - good G5 program with fans that show up on gameday. The also have decent basketball.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:10 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
none are great and bring that much value, so go with one you can create more regional rivalries with and maybe create some better games and gameday atmospheres that the conference is lacking.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:16 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:11 pm
97APP wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am
Looking at the SI article - I just don't see why a MWC school would leave for the AAC, they just surpassed the AAC by UCF, Houston and Cincy leaving. If anything the MWC may even look at adding SMU. Also, If I'm Navy - I'm seriously considering going Independent again in Football.
There are two reasons; more money and playing more games in better time zones. West Coast football is at a severe disadvantage for TV dollars and viewers because of three and four hour differences in what everyone on the east coast is doing.
Not sure the more money will hold true once Houston, UCF and Cincy leave. Their TV contract will certainly be reduced. I do agree the MWC has limited east coast exposure which the AAC can offer and that in itself has value. But would you leave a strong MWC simply for additional east coast TV exposure that may or may not be realized in additional money over the contract you already have in hand? I see the MWC leapfrogging the future AAC in perceived strength once the moves are made (regardless of the AAC additions).
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Good football and basketball most years, certainly in the top half of the SBC in both. If we were to pick our top choices from CUSA they'd be in the top 3. Who do you prefer?

I like the SBC being proactive. Get the best you can now, versus letting ours dictate the fallout. The SBC has more leverage today than it may have in the coming months, strike now.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:36 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
A winning tradition. An entire community of support. An immediately distinguishable brand. A passionate fanbase that travels well and will bore you to death telling you about their program without asking. Top 15 in football attendance in the G5. Mountain people.

They sound like someone familiar I just can’t put my finger on it…
YNWA

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:47 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
Good football and basketball most years, certainly in the top half of the SBC in both. If we were to pick our top choices from CUSA they'd be in the top 3. Who do you prefer?

I like the SBC being proactive. Get the best you can now, versus letting ours dictate the fallout. The SBC has more leverage today than it may have in the coming months, strike now.
I’m not averse to considering Marshall. I simply don’t know enough about the program as it is today to make a judgement. I worry that some of our fans remember the huge group of visiting Marshall fans at KBS decades ago and think that is what’s going on today.

ODU fits my version of a Goldilocks program for App — drivable but not likely to impact us in recruiting, huge new television market, plenty of room for growth within the football program, and solid non-football programs.

Off-hand, other programs I hope the Sun Belt considers are Charlotte, UAB and East Carolina (I know, not likely). I’m guessing Liberty and James-Madison will want on that list too.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:00 am

97APP wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:06 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:34 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
Yep, that's really the only argument needed - good G5 program with fans that show up on gameday. The also have decent basketball.
And, geographical location.

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 am

just say never to LIberty

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:19 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 am
We can’t afford to move to the AAC. We don’t have the funds necessary to increase our budgets to compete.
Give me a break. This is the same tired loser’s mentality we heard from people when we started considering moving to FBS.

Don’t want to hear anything about budgets. We win in football and the rest will come, money included. It’s as simple as that.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:35 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:47 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 am
AppGrad78 wrote:

I’m not averse to considering Marshall. I simply don’t know enough about the program as it is today to make a judgement. I worry that some of our fans remember the huge group of visiting Marshall fans at KBS decades ago and think that is what’s going on today.

ODU fits my version of a Goldilocks program for App — drivable but not likely to impact us in recruiting, huge new television market, plenty of room for growth within the football program, and solid non-football programs.

Off-hand, other programs I hope the Sun Belt considers are Charlotte, UAB and East Carolina (I know, not likely). I’m guessing Liberty and James-Madison will want on that list too.
Not many people watch ODU, so they're not going to bring much value and they're at the bottom of their conference every single year. no thanks. no thanks to liberty too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”