Blackout at ECU

Blackangold4

Blackout at ECU

Unread post by Blackangold4 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 pm

This Saterday :) I’ll be attending my 5th opening App State game in a row. The first opening game I ever attended was Michigan and no one in the entire world could have asked for a better one.

At the beginning of this week I began to think about what I was going to wear to this year’s opener. Midway through the week I decided I would go with my black shirt instead of my golden one and here’s why you should too.

Yes it will be hot, regardless of what color you wear its going to be a warm one and you’ll be sweating no matter what. So the little temperature difference from wearing the darker of the two colors is negligible to me.

ECU’s colors are Purple and Gold. One reason I won’t be wearing gold is because they wear it too. I want people to see me from 200 yards away and know exactly which team I’m supporting. I want someone on the opposite side of the stadium to scan the crowd and immediately be able to tell who I am cheering for. I want CUSA and the rest of the FBS to know exactly how many rabid mountaineers we bring to each and every away game. I want them to know where every single one of my brethren is in the stadium as we proudly cheer our boys on to the best game they can play.

I hope those of you attending will join me in making this game a blackout with the same results as the first time I attended an opener. GO, FIGHT, KICK APPS!!!

DaphneUrquhart
School: Appalachian State

Re: Blackout at ECU

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 am

I'm one who's almost always in a black shirt on game day. The last time I did that in extreme heat was the ECU game in 2009, though I'll say Chattanooga in 2010 and VaTech in 2011 were pretty warm as well. With temps looking to be in the 90's and a noon kickoff, I'm still debating on whether I can manage a black shirt this year. I'm thinking I may go with a white shirt and black shorts. There will be no doubt of my Appalachian-ness regardless of my attire. See you in the flatlands! Go App!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 am

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your POV), 99% of my ASU shirts are black. I have a grey one but It's cotton and I'm thinking the black poly might actually be better. I was *really* hoping for a reprieve on the heat this year, but we're not going to get it :(

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 am

If you're going to wear black, start hydrating now! Hopefully the team started hydrating yesterday or Wednesday.

Does anyone know if ECU is making App wear the black uniforms this year? I think it would be sweet if they broke out the corn cob alternates for TV.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 am

Do they even have the option of "forcing" us to wear the blacks? Regardless, to do that at their own place would be lame IMO.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 am

I'm pretty sure home team gets to pick uniform color. I know the Citadel has made App wear black in Charleston.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 am

moonshine wrote:I'm pretty sure home team gets to pick uniform color. I know the Citadel has made App wear black in Charleston.
The home team has to have the visiting team agree to the change:
NCAA rules state that the visiting team must wear white jerseys. The color of the numbers for the visiting team’s jerseys has to be different from that of the home team. Visiting teams may only wear colored jerseys to away games if both teams agree in writing to wearing colored jerseys for that particular game. The home team’s respective conference must also officially certify that the visiting team’s jersey colors contrast with the home team’s jersey colors.

Home teams wear colored jerseys in contrasting colors to visiting team’s jerseys. If the color of the home jersey has white in the design, it is limited to numbers, number outlines, insignias, college name, sleeve stripes, collar border and side seam. Sleeve stripes and collar borders cannot exceed one inch wide and the side seam cannot exceed four inches wide. Home teams may wear white jerseys if its conference certifies the colors contrast with the visiting team’s jerseys and both teams agree to it in writing before the game.
Give 'em hell!

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:21 am

Yeah, I thought there was more to it than "whatever the home team wants". Hopefully ECU will have the class not to ask, though even if they did I'd imagine we'd decline.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 am

We wore white in '09 so I would assume we would stick with wearing white this year.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:51 am

In 2009 I was just recovering from a broken leg and I survived in the top benches in the sun wearing BLACK. I'm much healthier today and the color never crossed my mind - BLACK.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:16 am

I wear black for every App game. It will be well worth it to avoid being mistaken for an ECU fan.

appgrad81

Unread post by appgrad81 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:51 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:I'm one who's almost always in a black shirt on game day. The last time I did that in extreme heat was the ECU game in 2009, though I'll say Chattanooga in 2010 and VaTech in 2011 were pretty warm as well. With temps looking to be in the 90's and a noon kickoff, I'm still debating on whether I can manage a black shirt this year. I'm thinking I may go with a white shirt and black shorts. There will be no doubt of my Appalachian-ness regardless of my attire. See you in the flatlands! Go App!
I am right there with you. I am wearing a White ASU t-shirt and black shorts. I think we will be fine in anythng Black/Gold or White/Gray because the Pirates are having a Purple Haze Day, everyone in Purple! They are very proud of their PURPLE in Greenville, even the fire truck is Purple, so Black could blend in with the Purple, White is what will stand out.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Kudos to you folks. I find the difference to be quite large when wearing a dark colored shirt vs a white. I won't be at the game, so no worries on my end. Good luck to those of you wearing black! GO APP!

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:24 pm

I wore black and I think I regret it. Still recovering from the heat even after a 3 hour drive in air conditioning.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 pm

I wore black and I don't think it would have been much better in white. It was stupid hot regardless. Fortunately staying in Washington so only had to endure a short drive before my shower ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”