Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Why

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: Why

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:06 pm

I have come to hate the NY6 deal. It’s like a little prize for the junior varsity. I see Cincinnati getting into a major bowl anyway. We lose one tough game and for some folks we have nothing to play for.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:19 pm

"I think our guys are a few bad plays against Miami from going undefeated for the season.

Throughout recent history, App has a tendency to lose one game per season which they should have won. With that said, I believe that game was played last week in Florida.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:46 pm

I believe we’ll see an uptick in CP6 carries moving forward. As a coach, there’s no need to run your thoroughbred into the ground so early in the season, especially knowing this game was never in doubt. Getting NN those carries around the goal line is good experience for him to learn from in the long run even if we don’t like the immediate results. I would’ve liked to see Smith get a few more touches in this game just to get that experience in the offense in case we need to rely on him later in the season.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 pm

Elon had a good game plan and executed it about as well as they could .Were we looking past them? I think that's likely.I believe you will see a different focus Thursday evening.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:06 pm
I have come to hate the NY6 deal. It’s like a little prize for the junior varsity. I see Cincinnati getting into a major bowl anyway. We lose one tough game and for some folks we have nothing to play for.
The crux of success. We are obviously spoiled and carry high expectations. Both us fans and the team.

Let’s face it, we expect to be in the Sun Belt championship every year, which on its own is a pretty high bar.

And if that’s the expectation it means year in and out, we are in contention for the next step, NY6. And many of our fans will focus on that.

It never stops though. Alabama isn’t content winning just one national championship. It’s “how do we win 10?” or “perfect season”, “greatest team ever”. There’s always another level to aspire to.
YNWA

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:01 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
The crux of success. We are obviously spoiled and carry high expectations. Both us fans and the team.

Let’s face it, we expect to be in the Sun Belt championship every year, which on its own is a pretty high bar.

And if that’s the expectation it means year in and out, we are in contention for the next step, NY6. And many of our fans will focus on that.

It never stops though. Alabama isn’t content winning just one national championship. It’s “how do we win 10?” or “perfect season”, “greatest team ever”. There’s always another level to aspire to.
Oh I totally agree with you on all points. It wasn’t that long ago that we got jacked up big time for what seemed like “huge” SOCON games that were critical for winning the conference. Winning that title was big. Obviously going to the FCS playoffs was the next step and winning the title the ultimate prize. Once we moved up playing in a bowl game was an amazing accomplishment. I guess the team goals don’t seem as great with a playoff even though our chances of ever actually participating are remote at best. Many people have voiced displeasure with any notion of a G5 playoff as it rings of FCS again. Since teams like App have already been officially tagged as basically a subdivision program anyway I think it might be cool if there was a G5 playoff- highest rated 2 teams outside of the top 8 who square off for the NY6. If, say a Cincinnati finishes unbeaten and ranked about 6th they would get a big bowl slot anyway so perhaps an App would face BYU for the NY6. In that scenario we could go 12-1, win the belt and still be in the hunt.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:22 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

This. Fans and Coaches have expectations for teams. The difference is that coaches expectations are set to what they know. Fans have them based on what they want. Where it gets very unfair is when fans start to apply pressure to administrations for change when their expectations aren’t being met. A Coach’s internal expectations for their team is to always compete, but a six win season is very real given experience and depth. But they have to play to the fan base and constantly sell the team to keep fans engaged.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am

I wanted us to come out and jump on them quick and put them down early and coast later. In the first two games I said the coaches did a phenomenal job. In this one I would have preferred a more aggressive D. I don't think there was anything they did Saturday that was not within their game plan. Sutton can't drop balls on the goal line, nobody can. Brice was crisp most of the day. I reminded myself that we have had two tough/physical games prior to this one. This was our tune up/rest/regroup game. It was the time to offload some of the workload to depth players. We did. At the end of the day nobody will pay attention to this game other than we took care of business at 44-10. Should have been 51-10. They will not go digging in stats or anything else, simply we beat a FCS team easily. Box checked.

After what I saw in game 1 and 2, I am NOT concerned nor believe that game 3 was our best team. Nobody can believe that. Game 3 was just a tune-up game period. I have no doubt we will be ready for the tougher teams on our schedule.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:45 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am
I wanted us to come out and jump on them quick and put them down early and coast later. In the first two games I said the coaches did a phenomenal job. In this one I would have preferred a more aggressive D. I don't think there was anything they did Saturday that was not within their game plan. Sutton can't drop balls on the goal line, nobody can. Brice was crisp most of the day. I reminded myself that we have had two tough/physical games prior to this one. This was our tune up/rest/regroup game. It was the time to offload some of the workload to depth players. We did. At the end of the day nobody will pay attention to this game other than we took care of business at 44-10. Should have been 51-10. They will not go digging in stats or anything else, simply we beat a FCS team easily. Box checked.

After what I saw in game 1 and 2, I am NOT concerned nor believe that game 3 was our best team. Nobody can believe that. Game 3 was just a tune-up game period. I have no doubt we will be ready for the tougher teams on our schedule.
While tailgating before the game some of us were talking about what we hoped to see. The consensus was that we should and probably would stomp Elon. Personally I figured that if we were up 28-0 after the first and 42-0 at the half the second half would consist of the reserve QB mostly handing off the ball to reserve backs with very little passing. Lots of ball control running out the clock foot off the gas not wanting to embarrass the opponent play calling. Obviously nobody wanted us to be sweating out the game in the 4th quarter. Now that I’ve had a few days to read stuff and digest it I’m fine with the outcome. Like you said nobody really cares if we had won 58-10 or 44-10. We ultimately took care of business. Every FBS win over FCS isn’t going to be a 67-0 OU trouncing of WCU. With a short week and a huge came Thursday we absolutely didn’t need some stupid injuries.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm

I think a really good coach once said that "they play pretty good football at the FCS level." Don't discount that, Elon had a good team and a good plan to take the air out of the stadium and keep our offense off the field. Their lines were big and well coached. Nothing wrong with our showing.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:31 pm

mike87 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm
Their lines were big and well coached.
Leon has one of our own former players and OL great, Mario Acitelli, on their staff. Mario coaches the ST, TE's and Tackles.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:51 pm

moonshine wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:31 pm
mike87 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm
Their lines were big and well coached.
Leon has one of our own former players and OL great, Mario Acitelli, on their staff. Mario coaches the ST, TE's and Tackles.
Actually at the end of August he became an offensive analyst at LSU, leaving Elon.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Kafarmer

Unread post by Kafarmer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Some of you amaze me. Lackluster performance? We just won 44-10. Some issues to correct, but never in doubt. Not enough Peoples? Perfect game to try a few things with Noel for future reference. On defense, a little banged up. Their QB is pretty good, so he made us pay some when we gambled. I’m betting the Apps run the table rest of the year. Certainly not doubting them right now. Let’s see what Thursday night brings!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:49 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:

The extending of the ball into the end zone has become one of the most mistake prone plays in football. I'd love to see coaches start coaching against it (unless it's 4th and goal, or an end of the game scenario).

With that said, it was an effort play. Sutton was doing everything he could do to fight his way into the end zone. I appreciate the hustle. He is getting back into game shape and has a big year ahead of him.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:33 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

The extending of the ball into the end zone has become one of the most mistake prone plays in football. I'd love to see coaches start coaching against it (unless it's 4th and goal, or an end of the game scenario).

With that said, it was an effort play. Sutton was doing everything he could do to fight his way into the end zone. I appreciate the hustle. He is getting back into game shape and has a big year ahead of him.
I believe CS has done that before. Appreciate the effort but we can get 2 yards and score.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:45 am
AtlAppMan wrote:

While tailgating before the game some of us were talking about what we hoped to see. The consensus was that we should and probably would stomp Elon. Personally I figured that if we were up 28-0 after the first and 42-0 at the half the second half would consist of the reserve QB mostly handing off the ball to reserve backs with very little passing. Lots of ball control running out the clock foot off the gas not wanting to embarrass the opponent play calling. Obviously nobody wanted us to be sweating out the game in the 4th quarter. Now that I’ve had a few days to read stuff and digest it I’m fine with the outcome. Like you said nobody really cares if we had won 58-10 or 44-10. We ultimately took care of business. Every FBS win over FCS isn’t going to be a 67-0 OU trouncing of WCU. With a short week and a huge came Thursday we absolutely didn’t need some stupid injuries.
It amazes me that App Fans...of all fans....should not have this mentality for any team. Read your paragraph above and substitute the team Michigan (US) and App for Elon. I imagine Michigan's tailgate sounded a lot like that. I remember hearing Tennessee fans saying the same thing before that game as well. The "Touchdown Citadel" still haunts me. Elon looked pretty good. Just like our FCS days the fresh players we can send in with their players gassed was the difference in that game in the second half.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:45 am

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:51 pm
Actually at the end of August he became an offensive analyst at LSU, leaving Elon.
Quite the step up! Good for Mario.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:33 am

Kafarmer wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:05 pm
Some of you amaze me. Lackluster performance? We just won 44-10. Some issues to correct, but never in doubt. Not enough Peoples? Perfect game to try a few things with Noel for future reference. On defense, a little banged up. Their QB is pretty good, so he made us pay some when we gambled. I’m betting the Apps run the table rest of the year. Certainly not doubting them right now. Let’s see what Thursday night brings!
You haven't been around long then. We could have a RB run for 300 yards and 5 TDs and people will be complaining it should have been 350 yards and we just aren't good any more.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:33 am
Kafarmer wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:05 pm
You haven't been around long then. We could have a RB run for 300 yards and 5 TDs and people will be complaining it should have been 350 yards and we just aren't good any more.
This. Or, why aren’t we throwing more? Having a great running game is great, but we need to go vertical. Some people are never satisfied. A Win is a Win and they are hard to come by at this level.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:49 am

What does surprise me is that this is still going on the Tuesday after playing an FCS team when we have Marshal coming in 2 Days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”