Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Moore Statue and Plaza Dedication

YosefsMarchToTheSea
School: Appalachian State

Coach Moore Statue and Plaza Dedication

Unread post by YosefsMarchToTheSea » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:22 pm

For those of you who didn’t get to see the dedication, wanted to share a video I took.

App_in_Maiden

Re: Coach Moore Statue and Plaza Dedication

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:25 am

Absolutely amazing. Well deserved. Wish I could have been there.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 am

Love it! Thanks for posting!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 am

Chancellor Evert's speech was great. Wonder who wrote that for her because she has not been visible or heard from to much extent during our years of success in football so I can't help but wonder where she got the details.

Thanks, for posting, Yosef'sMarch.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:58 am
Chancellor Evert's speech was great. Wonder who wrote that for her because she has not been visible or heard from to much extent during our years of success in football so I can't help but wonder where she got the details.

I've spoken to her at two different away games where she came up to me and my family outside of the stadiums to say hello and talk about game.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:53 am

NewApp wrote:

She was literally in tears if you watch her reaction after the win at UNC-CHeat. It is only for a second but she is on some of the video I have watched. Granted that is not her speaking but her emotions were there. I think she hugged the coach at the same time.

And she likely did have a speech writer. She was not around for Coach Moore and I don't expect nor want her spending hours doing research on something like this. She needs to stay in the loop and informed but she can pass off some things to others.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:00 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am
NewApp wrote:

I've spoken to her at two different away games where she came up to me and my family outside of the stadiums to say hello and talk about game.
That's good to hear because the announcers nor the radio personalities nor many members of this board ever mention her to much extent. With Peacock it was the opposite in every respect. Guess he spoiled some of us.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:06 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:53 am
NewApp wrote:

She was literally in tears if you watch her reaction after the win at UNC-CHeat. It is only for a second but she is on some of the video I have watched. Granted that is not her speaking but her emotions were there. I think she hugged the coach at the same time.

And she likely did have a speech writer. She was not around for Coach Moore and I don't expect nor want her spending hours doing research on something like this. She needs to stay in the loop and informed but she can pass off some things to others.
She's just seldom mentioned or heard from in regards to our football program, the stadium or athletics in general. And my mistake...I thought she was chancellor the last couple years of the Moore era.
I disagree that she should not have spent a lot of time researching Moore. He's an institution and meant a lot more to ASU than just a coach. . This was a big deal.
I just hope it's a long time before expansion wipes out the plaza and the statue. The wall on Owens that had bricks of many of the names from the past contributed in honor and memory of many athletes, etc was torn down and disposed of with hardly a mention. I know many, including myself, who would have liked to have had the brick back for a keep sake.
Not being a negative Nellie. Just one who appreciates nostalgia and legacy more than some.

First place I'm heading next time I'm on campus is the Plaza and to make sure my brick is there. :)
Google SUX

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Everts time at App St. began after Moore retired from App. St.
I could care less if she completed research on a former football coach at App. St. It is great we have a great football history. However, I believe she has more important ideas and other strategic issues to be concerned with in running the university. I am perfectly satisfied that she knows of him and that he had a long legacy as football coach and mentored athletes while he was the coach. IMO, that is really all she needs to know. There are others should maintain and carry on that legacy....AD, Asst. AD, YC, alumni, etc.
A comparison to Peacock and Everts is like comparing apples to oranges. You really cannot. He was pretty much a "ilfer" at the university as to Everts entering the university as Chancellor. Peacock built an internal following through the business school, etc. prior to becoming Chancellor. It seems she is involved and shows her backing of the football program In her own way. It is a tough being someone from the outside following a person who spent many years of his career at App. St. prior to becoming Chancellor. In addition, there are many that will (to this day) not let her forget about the fact that she followed Peacock and how much he did things that are different from her approach.

My exposure to Peacock was awesome as he was Dean of Business School. I try not to compare the to.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:47 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:06 pm
NewApp wrote:

She's just seldom mentioned or heard from in regards to our football program, the stadium or athletics in general. And my mistake...I thought she was chancellor the last couple years of the Moore era.
I disagree that she should not have spent a lot of time researching Moore. He's an institution and meant a lot more to ASU than just a coach. . This was a big deal.
I just hope it's a long time before expansion wipes out the plaza and the statue. The wall on Owens that had bricks of many of the names from the past contributed in honor and memory of many athletes, etc was torn down and disposed of with hardly a mention. I know many, including myself, who would have liked to have had the brick back for a keep sake.
Not being a negative Nellie. Just one who appreciates nostalgia and legacy more than some.

First place I'm heading next time I'm on campus is the Plaza and to make sure my brick is there. :)
Moore left is 2012 and Everts arrived in 2014. A small gap in time and I had to look it up myself to be sure of the timeline.

Two quick stories.

Everts was in White Hall when our oldest daughter was moving into White Hall and this was Fall 2014 just after Everts became Chancellor. I am not sure if we were the very first room she visited on the top floor of White but we were the first husband and wife alumni couple with a 2nd generation child entering App State that year that she met. She commented on that herself.

She was cordial to us and had a handler, which is fine. That can come off as cold and it was all PR, at the end of the day, but I give her credit for visiting incoming families and we had a photo op. That was a good first impression and to be sure if I had not met her under those conditions I might not be so eager to defend her.

My magnet school took a field trip to App State on 3 April 2019 and at first I was not invited. But being at the time the only App alum on staff and I had a lot of students going on the trip I talked myself in riding ahead in a separate car so I could get into Boone a few minutes early and set up a few things before others arrived. Also I was staying around for the WBI championship game our women won which is the real reason I took my own car. Anyway Owens bricks were almost all gone by then but a couple students wanted to see the football stadium so I walked them over and just happened to be near a construction employee and he took the time to get me 2 bricks from Owens. I have one and my daughter has the other. Funny how a few things had to work out and most was not planned by me beyond just talking myself into being part of the trip.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:26 pm
Everts time at App St. began after Moore retired from App. St.
I could care less if she completed research on a former football coach at App. St. It is great we have a great football history. However, I believe she has more important ideas and other strategic issues to be concerned with in running the university. I am perfectly satisfied that she knows of him and that he had a long legacy as football coach and mentored athletes while he was the coach. IMO, that is really all she needs to know. There are others should maintain and carry on that legacy....AD, Asst. AD, YC, alumni, etc.
A comparison to Peacock and Everts is like comparing apples to oranges. You really cannot. He was pretty much a "ilfer" at the university as to Everts entering the university as Chancellor. Peacock built an internal following through the business school, etc. prior to becoming Chancellor. It seems she is involved and shows her backing of the football program In her own way. It is a tough being someone from the outside following a person who spent many years of his career at App. St. prior to becoming Chancellor. In addition, there are many that will (to this day) not let her forget about the fact that she followed Peacock and how much he did things that are different from her approach.

My exposure to Peacock was awesome as he was Dean of Business School. I try not to compare the to.
Good points. Can't argue with those.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:47 pm
NewApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Moore left is 2012 and Everts arrived in 2014. A small gap in time and I had to look it up myself to be sure of the timeline.

Two quick stories.

Everts was in White Hall when our oldest daughter was moving into White Hall and this was Fall 2014 just after Everts became Chancellor. I am not sure if we were the very first room she visited on the top floor of White but we were the first husband and wife alumni couple with a 2nd generation child entering App State that year that she met. She commented on that herself.

She was cordial to us and had a handler, which is fine. That can come off as cold and it was all PR, at the end of the day, but I give her credit for visiting incoming families and we had a photo op. That was a good first impression and to be sure if I had not met her under those conditions I might not be so eager to defend her.

My magnet school took a field trip to App State on 3 April 2019 and at first I was not invited. But being at the time the only App alum on staff and I had a lot of students going on the trip I talked myself in riding ahead in a separate car so I could get into Boone a few minutes early and set up a few things before others arrived. Also I was staying around for the WBI championship game our women won which is the real reason I took my own car. Anyway Owens bricks were almost all gone by then but a couple students wanted to see the football stadium so I walked them over and just happened to be near a construction employee and he took the time to get me 2 bricks from Owens. I have one and my daughter has the other. Funny how a few things had to work out and most was not planned by me beyond just talking myself into being part of the trip.
I meant the bricks engraved with donors names. Those should have been offered to families of the donors or the donors themselves. Are those the bricks you were referencing? If so, whose did you get.
Google SUX

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:51 pm

What happened to the bricks on the wall and later in the walkway?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:17 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:47 pm
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:47 pm
NewApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Two quick stories.

I meant the bricks engraved with donors names. Those should have been offered to families of the donors or the donors themselves. Are those the bricks you were referencing? If so, whose did you get.
All I got were generic bricks. Nothing engraved. I agree those bricks should be reused or given back or used in some fashion.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:28 pm

I loved Peacock but he could be a bit of a show pony at times. Everts while an “outsider” has stayed in the background and absorbed the nuances of our culture. She ain’t so bad at all and she did get Help get Jerry back in the fold.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:42 pm

She and DG work extremely well together. The coaches that I know speak highly of her. I know what I have seen ,and experienced these past several years .....

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 pm

I think it should be mentioned and much respect given to the Hallier family for the statue and other iconic installations through Boone and campus.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:22 pm

Blackshirt68 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:51 pm
What happened to the bricks on the wall and later in the walkway?

Those are what I was asking about.
Google SUX

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:01 pm

I have been assured the bricks were to be relaid around the rock. I did not take time Saturday to check, but I will Thursday.
As for Everts, I see her on social media all around campus.
Bring Your A Game!

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm

Coach Moore must have slept well Saturday night. With the dedication at 1:00, then standing a couple hours in the hot sun signing autographs and posing for photos with fans, then appearing during the game too… he had to be exhausted. One of the all-time greats!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”