Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

First game issues?

beav910
School: Appalachian State

Re: First game issues?

Unread post by beav910 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 am

I must have gotten lucky. Our group walked right into the stadium, grabbed a pizza, grabbed a beer, went to the bathroom a few times, I never really experienced a long line.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 am

We're in Music lot and the one issue I saw is that they sold the parking space next to ours twice...both people had the correct lot, game, and space number...they had just sold 2 of them...2nd car had to leave, IDK where they ended up parking.

We were in NEZ and wanted to get in early so I think we got in line around 2:30 and had no issues getting in. The food wasn't already set up when we got in there, but that wasn't an issue for me because I ate at tailgate. By the time I wanted it I had no problems getting it or paying. Only 1 bathroom for men and women, which I had been concerned about but it wasn't an issue, never a line.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 am

canes_mj wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 am
We're in Music lot and the one issue I saw is that they sold the parking space next to ours twice...both people had the correct lot, game, and space number...they had just sold 2 of them...2nd car had to leave, IDK where they ended up parking.

We were in NEZ and wanted to get in early so I think we got in line around 2:30 and had no issues getting in. The food wasn't already set up when we got in there, but that wasn't an issue for me because I ate at tailgate. By the time I wanted it I had no problems getting it or paying. Only 1 bathroom for men and women, which I had been concerned about but it wasn't an issue, never a line.
I’m really liking the NEZ. We got in early as well. The staff there was all new. The bathrooms are nice. There is also two family bathrooms as well. I was a bit surprised that we didn’t have to go through security to get in.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 am

Blackshirt68 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 am
New way to make some money for the athletic Department: “Twenty dollar bill and you can sit on Miller Hill”!
Miller Hill needs seats plain and simple. Deep down nobody really wants to be there watching a game from a mile away. In my opinion it looks high schoolish.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:20 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 am
Blackshirt68 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 am
New way to make some money for the athletic Department: “Twenty dollar bill and you can sit on Miller Hill”!
Miller Hill needs seats plain and simple. Deep down nobody really wants to be there watching a game from a mile away. In my opinion it looks high schoolish.
Seating on Miller Hill would cut down attendance as no way could seating accomodate as many as it does now.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am

Well UVA and Clemson are two that immediately come to mind that have a hill in the endzone - don't look high schoolish to me
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

gastonapp91

Unread post by gastonapp91 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:34 am

I 100% agree with all comments. We stood in line about 35 minutes to enter the stadium (West side) and navigating the concourse was just nuts. The concession line remained long (from counter to back of concourse) from before the start of the game, well into the 4th quarter.

Beer lines were short and quick.

We didn't have the issue of students in our seats (Sec 204) but the row behind us did and the row in front of us did. I feel bad for the students if the student section is full, they really have no option, other than the Hill. My son is sophmore and a Student Yosef member and had to sit on the hill.

Did I miss something that the Tweetsie train horn is no longer being played for touchdowns? I liked the "fireworks" but that horn was awesome.

Hopefully some fixes will be in place for Thursday. I'm sure the crowd will be much lighter, although I wish it would be packed. #beatmarshall

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:37 am

People who like sitting on the hill really like it. Families with young kids like it...kids like to run around on it. The hill is a lightning rod and this topic comes up from time to time...I personally think it's one of the worst views in the stadium...so I don't sit there. But so what, others do like it....1. it is pretty and 2. if those people like it and want to sit on it and that's how they enjoy the game then it doesn't bother me...just be yo-sef and they do the same.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:43 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 am
A friend had a Legend’s parking pass. Got there and was turned away. They told him Legend’s had been oversold! If I’m that season ticket holder (it was gifted to him), I’m beyond pissed. Guess that warrants a call to YC.
Oh boy...that would be the last straw for me. I gifted a Legends pass to a friend for the Elon game because I had made prior commitments and he was able to get in no problem, but after sending a few emails (none of which received responses which is a whole different can of worms) about my disappointment being in that lot as it relates to my dollar amount donated, if I get turned away at the lot in any of the upcoming games I may just lose my s***.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:46 am

canes_mj wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:37 am
People who like sitting on the hill really like it. Families with young kids like it...kids like to run around on it. The hill is a lightning rod and this topic comes up from time to time...I personally think it's one of the worst views in the stadium...so I don't sit there. But so what, others do like it....1. it is pretty and 2. if those people like it and want to sit on it and that's how they enjoy the game then it doesn't bother me...just be yo-sef and they do the same.
There were a ton of people on the hill Saturday. Maybe the most I’ve ever seen. The vast majority were there because they didn’t have a seat to sit in. I love the way it looks and they did do a fantastic job bringing it closer and regrading it.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:51 am

Fill up on food at your tailgate, only drink beer in the stadium, and wear Depends. Problems solved. :lol:

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 am

I've seen a few people mention the sound from the video board on the West side, but I think those of us on the East side had a different experience. The sound on the board was BLARING on that side of the stadium. We were about 30 yard line (hill side), and often times the sound from the board overpowered people's ability for chants, etc. I'll also say the fans on the East side weren't as ready to be loud and into the game, but it was quite hot in the first half in the sun.

The concessions HAVE to get fixed or please allow (at least) bottled water into the stadium. Panthers games allow 2 sealed bottles per person. No reason whatsoever why KBS can't do the same, especially when they're running out of bottled water at the concessions you can't get to because the lines are too long. I couldn't get a non-alcoholic drink in the 2nd half, which is just unacceptable.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:32 am

Need more people who want to solve problems, not using App as a stepping stone athletic job. People who have black and gold in their veins. Not everyone but could definitely use a few more.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 am

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:32 am
fjblair wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:03 am
Nobody wants to work, it's a staffing issue and it's not just ASU.
This 100% Doug/App need to do be more proactive with their communication about what to expect. Fans of other teams in my neighborhood were bombarded w communication about delays in entering tailgate areas, ticketing and concessions. We need that. Perfect storm this week, first game, extra logistics w NEZ and Jerry festivities, largest crowd of the year, and of course the crippling staff shortages across the country. We know our budget constraints, there was no avoiding this. The only thing that was inexcusable to me was the running out of water at so many locations. You cant do that on a hot day. It will be better going forward with 8k less minimum in the stands. Eat before you come folks.
Would food trucks be an option? They usually have decent food, and the university could charge 10% to 20% of sales or a set fee.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:13 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:43 am
booneboy92 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 am
A friend had a Legend’s parking pass. Got there and was turned away. They told him Legend’s had been oversold! If I’m that season ticket holder (it was gifted to him), I’m beyond pissed. Guess that warrants a call to YC.
Oh boy...that would be the last straw for me. I gifted a Legends pass to a friend for the Elon game because I had made prior commitments and he was able to get in no problem, but after sending a few emails (none of which received responses which is a whole different can of worms) about my disappointment being in that lot as it relates to my dollar amount donated, if I get turned away at the lot in any of the upcoming games I may just lose my s***.
I actually called YC this morning… They said that the attendants gave wrong info, and that they had not overassigned parking. Apparently, in more lots than just Legend’s a lot of students didn’t heed the “will be towed” warning, thus the lots were full at times until they could get the violators towed. I actually did see at least three cars towed out of Legend’s at different times. Anyway, the call made me feel better, and she said all parking passes have a space available.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:24 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:13 am
I actually called YC this morning… They said that the attendants gave wrong info, and that they had not overassigned parking. Apparently, in more lots than just Legend’s a lot of students didn’t heed the “will be towed” warning, thus the lots were full at times until they could get the violators towed. I actually did see at least three cars towed out of Legend’s at different times. Anyway, the call made me feel better, and she said all parking passes have a space available.
How anyone is around App's campus for longer than a week and decides to not heed parking warnings is beyond me.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25 am

Sounds like basically everything has been covered in previous statements but I will add my point of view.

Lines at entries, lines at concessions, running out of water are ALL inexcusable. They knew well in advance there would be 30k attendees. You NEVER run out of water, have trucks pulled up with plenty on a hot day, and haul some away at end but never run out. Should have had more entry points, no excuse, easy math for 30k attendees. Whoever is planning for staffing concessions with people and food should know better. It is not rocket science. This has been done so many times before at App and many other places. For water/sodas just have a bunch of tables with coolers sitting around taking cash.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:16 pm

Is anyone compiling this list and submitting it to the athletic department or are we all just talking into the ether?

There were some major issues. Our seats were triple sold (we all had the same tickets), long lines to get in, forever long lines for water. First game in 2 years kind of issues combined with short staffing everywhere…I’m sure they’ll get it all ironed out but legit issues need to be submitted appropriately
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm

I did notice that the water fountains were all blue taped and closed. Yeah, I drink from water fountains. 30,000 can pack the stadium but don't drink out of a water fountain!

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:39 pm

mike87 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm
I did notice that the water fountains were all blue taped and closed. Yeah, I drink from water fountains. 30,000 can pack the stadium but don't drink out of a water fountain!
They closed all the fountains on campus due to Covid but most are reopened.
May be that or it may be something in the agreement with the new concessions vendor.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”