Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

First game issues?

97grad
School: Appalachian State

Re: First game issues?

Unread post by 97grad » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:04 pm

I'm inclined to cut them a little slack given the situation but it would take a hell of a lot to excuse the situation Saturday. We missed kickoff despite getting to the gate by 3:10. I've been too all the highest attended games and never had this problem. Someone in line said the West side was worse. Beer lines were fine, unfortunately getting a non-alcoholic beverage was literally a 1 hour ordeal.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:06 pm

I put this on the wrong thread:

My bad fam, I only put it on Twitter but should’ve posted here prior to the game. For those of you who have perused other boards, leading up to our first game back at the Rock, you would’ve known the one constant complaint other fans were dealing with is slow entry into the home venue. I don’t know if it’s a staffing shortage or lack of staff experience but it was easy to see what was going to happen for the first game back being a sell out. Most every fan base that doesn’t play in an NFL or larger stadium with more than a few entry points is dealing with slow entry.

They really need to figure out a better set up for concession lines. Walking through the concourse is a headache when trying to weave in and out of concession lines. Guessing we can’t do aisle/lane ropes due to fire code but maybe they could paint concession lanes on the ground to help ease traffic flow.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:21 pm

I watched people leave seats near me to apparently go get concessions and were gone at least a quarter. There is nothing I ever need that badly to stand in a line and miss the game. As far as getting in the game goes I think that the scanning technology has greatly slowed down the process. People have tickets on their phone so they have to pull them up, move their screen around and the ticket person has to often try several times to zap the barcode. Doing that brutal process over and over kills the line.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:26 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:30 pm
9Steelman wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 am
no one at our gate west side checking bags. So back up just trying to get them in. I could have taken 1 chicken leg, 2 devil eggs, 3 ham biscuits and 4 waters in my wife's clear bag with no problem. would have saved 30 minute wait in concession line only to be told out of food.
If concessions are going to be such a problem, maybe they need to go the NASCAR route and let people bring in at least waters/sodas, if not snacks/food as well
I was going to suggest that, but I am sure there would be security issues.

In the 80’s under the home stands, there was a long wooden table that was loaded with souvenir cups full of either ice or Pepsi products (I can’t remember if they were pre-filled or the bottles were sold separately.) Your first stop was always to stop in that line a grab your drink pre-game and it always moved quickly (cash was helpful back then). No food was available.

A similar set-up might at least get things started on the right foot (duplicated on both sides)

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Our line was long , I mean loooong , but it zipped .I was pleasantly surprised. I agree about bringing in sealed water bottles and being able to refill them. That's all I buy at the stadium though ,other than a program.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:06 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:26 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:30 pm
9Steelman wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 am
no one at our gate west side checking bags. So back up just trying to get them in. I could have taken 1 chicken leg, 2 devil eggs, 3 ham biscuits and 4 waters in my wife's clear bag with no problem. would have saved 30 minute wait in concession line only to be told out of food.
If concessions are going to be such a problem, maybe they need to go the NASCAR route and let people bring in at least waters/sodas, if not snacks/food as well
I was going to suggest that, but I am sure there would be security issues.

In the 80’s under the home stands, there was a long wooden table that was loaded with souvenir cups full of either ice or Pepsi products (I can’t remember if they were pre-filled or the bottles were sold separately.) Your first stop was always to stop in that line a grab your drink pre-game and it always moved quickly (cash was helpful back then). No food was available.

A similar set-up might at least get things started on the right foot (duplicated on both sides)
The reason they don't let people bringing in their own drinks has nothing to do with security. If it is ok for for races, it's ok for football games.

Perhaps, another option could be self-serve drink stations for refillable souvenir bottles similar to those found in theme parks. They could be sold online, in the bookstore, or from kiosks around and even outside the stadium. They could be purchased at different price points to be used either on a single game or for the duration of the season. They could even be a free perk for certain levels of season ticket holders or YC members.

*Insiders money saving tip down at the ridiculously expensive Mouse House in Lake Buena Vista FL. Unlike many other theme parks, "the happiest place on Earth" let's you bring in your own food. Back when we had a stroller to carry it around all day, we would bring in a cooler full of homemade sandwiches, snacks, and drinks. More recently, we bring backpacks filled with as much food and drinks as we are willing to lug around.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:31 pm

It’s crap like this that makes visiting fans think we’re bush league.

This seems pretty easy to figure out. If they can’t physically hire enough people, relax the rules. If they’re being cheap, it’s bush league.

Fix it.

HurricaneYosef

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 pm

The Bad:
1. Took us 31 minutes to get into the stadium. Arrived at 39:00 until kickoff (saw it LED board), sat. at our seats after the national anthem around 8:00 until kickoff). Should never take that long.

2. Videoboard was terrible in many ways. Videos looked choppy and like they were exported at 15 FPS. Motion graphics are the exact same as they were when the video board was put in, and like the videos they were choppy at times. Too little replays shown. We have the best video team in the country year after year and it's sad that we can't even have their videos shown on the video board properly.

3. Sound was bad. Idk if the Luke Combs concert led to some sound things being changed and then not correctly changed back because of that. We could barely hear anything in section 201. This was my first time sitting in this section so maybe it was normal (bad sound should never be normal in any venue) since it is on the NEZ side and not the Hill side but I could barely hear anything the announcer said or the lyrics of any of the songs played (Songs will be mentioned below).

4. The Music played in the stadium during the game has not changed since like 2016, and it wasn't even good then. Just absolute poor song choices all around, that definitely played a part in the somewhat underwhelming student section energy.

5. Piggybacking off of 4. What in the world was that we will rock you clap beat thing they tried to do before the team ran out of the tunnel? An App State chant, or honestly anything else, would have done more to bring better energy to the stadium.

6. NEZ seats looked 25% full for the duration of the game, a little underwhelming I hope it does not turn into the Blue Zone chapel hill has where those seats are always empty because of no shows / people attending staying inside for 90% of the game

7. Concessions were ridiculous, but you all have mostly covered that above. If App can't get the staffing right they need to just offer complementary bottle fill up stations. Don't add clear bag policies and not allow drinks / waterbottles into the stadium if you can't adequately offer concession services that don't take 45 minutes plus to wait in.

The Good:
1. We won

2. NEZ facility looks great, love the bier garten addition field level (only saw it did not experience it). Field also looks great. So much better without that track!

3. Miller Hill was PACKED. Always an impressive feat

4. There was a moment Coach Kerns was in the student section front row wearing the black and gold overalls. Photo op or not, very awesome to see!!

5. We get to do it again on Thursday! Beat Marshall!!!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:09 pm

HurricaneYosef wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 pm
The Bad:
1. Took us 31 minutes to get into the stadium. Arrived at 39:00 until kickoff (saw it LED board), sat. at our seats after the national anthem around 8:00 until kickoff). Should never take that long.

2. Videoboard was terrible in many ways. Videos looked choppy and like they were exported at 15 FPS. Motion graphics are the exact same as they were when the video board was put in, and like the videos they were choppy at times. Too little replays shown. We have the best video team in the country year after year and it's sad that we can't even have their videos shown on the video board properly.

3. Sound was bad. Idk if the Luke Combs concert led to some sound things being changed and then not correctly changed back because of that. We could barely hear anything in section 201. This was my first time sitting in this section so maybe it was normal (bad sound should never be normal in any venue) since it is on the NEZ side and not the Hill side but I could barely hear anything the announcer said or the lyrics of any of the songs played (Songs will be mentioned below).

4. The Music played in the stadium during the game has not changed since like 2016, and it wasn't even good then. Just absolute poor song choices all around, that definitely played a part in the somewhat underwhelming student section energy.

5. Piggybacking off of 4. What in the world was that we will rock you clap beat thing they tried to do before the team ran out of the tunnel? An App State chant, or honestly anything else, would have done more to bring better energy to the stadium.

6. NEZ seats looked 25% full for the duration of the game, a little underwhelming I hope it does not turn into the Blue Zone chapel hill has where those seats are always empty because of no shows / people attending staying inside for 90% of the game

7. Concessions were ridiculous, but you all have mostly covered that above. If App can't get the staffing right they need to just offer complementary bottle fill up stations. Don't add clear bag policies and not allow drinks / waterbottles into the stadium if you can't adequately offer concession services that don't take 45 minutes plus to wait in.

The Good:
1. We won

2. NEZ facility looks great, love the bier garten addition field level (only saw it did not experience it). Field also looks great. So much better without that track!

3. Miller Hill was PACKED. Always an impressive feat

4. There was a moment Coach Kerns was in the student section front row wearing the black and gold overalls. Photo op or not, very awesome to see!!

5. We get to do it again on Thursday! Beat Marshall!!!
Pretty spot on. Everything . The video/scoreboard is such important thing for the entire stadium experience. It was awful. They even announced the score backwards a few times. Leon 3 Apps 10 . Just a really big way to make a show and it wasn’t.

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:19 pm

Not gonna lie it was an embarrassment for me as a yosef member to watch what we put out there for a GameDay experience. My wife had to ring herself up for 2 cups of ice and a water bc the girl had no clue what she was doing and tried to charge her 3.50 for chips. My wife literally scrolled the machine herself to get to cup of ice. It was the worst I have ever seen. Oh and event staff there was ZERO IN SIGHT. Kids coming in late sitting in wrong seats packing the isles standing in front of YC member seating and no one to regulate it.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:19 pm

smokeshow wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:19 pm
Not gonna lie it was an embarrassment for me as a yosef member to watch what we put out there for a GameDay experience. My wife had to ring herself up for 2 cups of ice and a water bc the girl had no clue what she was doing and tried to charge her 3.50 for chips. My wife literally scrolled the machine herself to get to cup of ice. It was the worst I have ever seen. Oh and event staff there was ZERO IN SIGHT. Kids coming in late sitting in wrong seats packing the isles standing in front of YC member seating and no one to regulate it.
That shit drives me nuts, having to kick some brat out of my seat every game.

TonyTigger
School: Gardner-Webb

Unread post by TonyTigger » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:27 am

smokeshow wrote:
Looking for a response from DG today! Still debating about Thursday night, Saturday was so frustrating......we looked like rookies.....not the team!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:53 am

So, I will say this about the NEZ attendance. It is 80% full so there is that. Secondly, those seat holders are spread out among the seats, the field patio, and the concessions, indoors. I watched the 1st quarter from the field but I was in my seats the rest of the game. I didn’t go inside during the game so I can’t speak to how many were in there. It was Christmas Day for a lot of us so we were all taking it in. Section 405 is into the game. We all get excited when the teams line up for a kick. We all want to catch the ball and cheer those that do.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:03 am

Nobody wants to work, it's a staffing issue and it's not just ASU.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 am

TonyTigger wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:27 am
smokeshow wrote:
Looking for a response from DG today! Still debating about Thursday night, Saturday was so frustrating......we looked like rookies.....not the team!
Thursday night should be better. The crowd should be 1/3 less and hopefully most people will eat prior to the game, which will ease up on concessions. This is my biggest fear. That our Game Day "lack of/negative" Experience affects future attendance.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:30 am

fjblair wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:03 am

That is certainly true, but you have to adapt.

Athletes from other sports used to staff the concessions. Is this no longer a thing?

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:32 am

fjblair wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:03 am
This 100% Doug/App need to do be more proactive with their communication about what to expect. Fans of other teams in my neighborhood were bombarded w communication about delays in entering tailgate areas, ticketing and concessions. We need that. Perfect storm this week, first game, extra logistics w NEZ and Jerry festivities, largest crowd of the year, and of course the crippling staff shortages across the country. We know our budget constraints, there was no avoiding this. The only thing that was inexcusable to me was the running out of water at so many locations. You cant do that on a hot day. It will be better going forward with 8k less minimum in the stands. Eat before you come folks.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 am

Apparently a moment of silence was held, however, no one could hardly hear that because volume was so low for audio. Could never hear the PA person (Not Steve White) anymore, but that individual needs more energy. I was in 206 close to board and couldn't hear anything until like quarter 4. Much like a concert or any other productive, does a sound check not take place? I try to never complain about anything related to my Mountaineers....BUT....these are things that are common sense, audio/video/concessions....same ol stuff that seems to be constant issues. These are not rocket science things.

Avoiding the issues with audio and video do NOT tie into budget constraints...so those will never get a pass on they are not working properly.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 am

Club seats were awesome. No lines, clean bathrooms, booze. Great day at the Rock.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 am

New way to make some money for the athletic Department: “Twenty dollar bill and you can sit on Miller Hill”!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”