Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Video Board / Sound

HurricaneYosef
School: Appalachian State

Video Board / Sound

Unread post by HurricaneYosef » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 pm

I've seen mixed reviews on the sound in different posts here. Thought it would be interesting to see what people were experiencing and where at.

If you were at the game Saturday comment below what section and if the sound from the video board was:

1. Way too quiet
3. Just right
5. Way too loud

Also leave any other thoughts if you'd like

These were the comments I had on the video board and sound from Saturday:
Off Topic
2. Videoboard was terrible in many ways. Videos looked choppy and like they were exported at 15 FPS. Motion graphics are the exact same as they were when the video board was put in, and like the videos they were choppy at times. Too little replays shown. We have the best video team in the country year after year and it's sad that we can't even have their videos shown on the video board properly.

3. Sound was bad. Idk if the Luke Combs concert led to some sound things being changed and then not correctly changed back because of that. We could barely hear anything in section 201. This was my first time sitting in this section so maybe it was normal (bad sound should never be normal in any venue) since it is on the NEZ side and not the Hill side but I could barely hear anything the announcer said or the lyrics of any of the songs played (Songs will be mentioned below).

4. The Music played in the stadium during the game has not changed since like 2016, and it wasn't even good then. Just absolute poor song choices all around, that definitely played a part in the somewhat underwhelming student section energy.

AppState89

Re: Video Board / Sound

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 am

1- Waaaay to quiet. Can't even hear anyone talking when videos are being played. The sound by the announcer appeared to be fine. Turn up the sound!!!
2- Not many replays at all
3- Would like to see other scores around the country
4- **Which is my #1 and has been for many years**... Keep the stats of the game on the video board. It's nice to see how many yards, 1st downs and other stuff both teams have.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

ASUBlack Diamond

Unread post by ASUBlack Diamond » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 am

Glad someone brought this up. I was wondering if it was just me. From the NEZ front row I found the sound to be way to quiet. I know the video has the potential because when they first stood that thing up you could hear it it VA!! :)

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 am

Agreed. Sometimes it sounded ok, sometimes couldnt hear a word the announcer was saying. Basically no replays? They need to add that Luke Combs song coach tweets out after a W. Love that video part of that too

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 am

we were in 201 as well. Could not hear announcers at all really and never heard any ref comments on penalties etc.

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am

very few if any replays, no scores of other games, no sing along music, no halftime stats, & poor announcer sound. Due to concession problems please allow us to bring 1 water or turn on fountains.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 am

In 203 and never really could hear the audio system. When I did hear something it was unintelligible. Overall it was not the best experience.

mountaineeryosef

Unread post by mountaineeryosef » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am

Section 206. Could not hear the sound at all in the beginning, but it seemed like they got the message and turned it up because by halftime it was fine. The App - State chant worked when it was displayed on the board, so it would be great if that was displayed more often. When the students start the chant themselves, it's way too fast and doesn't catch on. Videos were clear and sound was good. It would be great to move some of the mandatory announcements to pregame to allow for more fan involvement during timeouts, but I realize that might not be the agreement with sponsors.

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:01 am

We were in 112 (30 yard line, hill side), and I thought the video board sound was way too loud. Even ear piercing at times. It's like all the sound was directed to the East side.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am

ugmw177 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 am
we were in 201 as well. Could not hear announcers at all really and never heard any ref comments on penalties etc.
I forgot to state that above. I NEVER heard what the ref's comment on penalties were at all. Everyone around was asking what was just said. Good one, glad you brought up that concern.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 am

Silver lining: Didn’t have to be blown-out by canned music between every play. Actually heard the band play between plays!!!!!! They sound good! We heard (although not enough) actual cheers!
Bad points: couldn’t hear announcer or the referee.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:25 am

Another thought: How come the local EMC shows people cheering at a Tennessee football game? We can give them video of App fans if they need it!

havefunkc

Unread post by havefunkc » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 am

Sec 205: canned music played thru the board was audible. ANY human speaking (announcer, refs, in-between play events) was garbled and not comprehensible. Even the pre-made App highlights we not audibly clear. We heard better from the NEZ echo. It detracted from the game experience.

When game stats were displayed they were wrong and not updated (4 yards of rushing). Did not recall seeing any outside game scores. Several Replays were 'stuck' or did not show the play. And what gives with the NC Electric Coop ad showing the University of TN game audience? And didn't we used to see some live fan shots in the past?

I did like the App State Wins display at the end of the game.
And I AM a Mountaineer!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:18 pm

all points above I concur.

My question is, Why all the mismanagement? All the stuff said should have been ready in advance, sound levels should have been tested and ready, replay operations, accurate stats, information about other games, etc. All of this stuff should have been "practiced" numerous times before the big event. When I have a team within my company planning to present/meet/big conference etc. we plan and rehearse so when real event occurs you are ready. What if the team came into a game that ill prepared. I just don't get it. Whoever is in charge doesn't seem to take it seriously. I can't believe in a 20k University we don't have folks that can manage our scoreboard and sound system.

I am just very disappointed that we have spent so much money on a state of the art scoreboard/video screen and don't have anybody that can drive it.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 pm

If they need extra help with audio and replay, I’m sure some of us would volunteer to help out. DG has got to fix this. If I was a casual fan I likely would not go back.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:31 pm

I really want the band mic’d up and I want them to play more. I also want the band to take those stupid black COVID horn coverings off their instruments so they can be heard at Howard’s Knob. Putting those things on do not stop the spread outside.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Are you serious? The band coverings to stop the spread of Covid?

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Blackshirt68 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:25 am
Another thought: How come the local EMC shows people cheering at a Tennessee football game? We can give them video of App fans if they need it!
Yep, I thought it was just bad color on the video. It's definitely orange.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 pm
Blackshirt68 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:25 am
Yep, I thought it was just bad color on the video. It's definitely orange.
Been this way for several years and I have commented on it before. i am sure it is a canned promo but that has to be fixed.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:51 pm

On the subject of audio. Clark's presser today is like amateur hour. The mic is at his bellybutton. Hard to hear hom. In addition, questions coming in from zoom... cannot hear them..just get Clark's answer
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”