Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Turf/scuffed rubber

yosef95
School: Appalachian State

Turf/scuffed rubber

Unread post by yosef95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:05 am

New stadium additions look great, but still cant believe we have 2 yr old turf and it is covered in black spots/rubber. I know fieldturf is a work in progress, but most of the newer ones I see are flawless. Wonder if App can follow up with the installation company and fix it. I know it's nitpicking, but the field is the main focal point of a stadium and the only thing you see on tv

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Turf/scuffed rubber

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 am

If you are speaking about how it looked on TV (I was not personally at the game) they had a hard time adjusting their picture - sometimes too bright, sometimes too dark, the field actually didn't look anything like the pictures I have seen - It was good to hear David and Avery "again" but they must of not had any mics around the field as I couldn't hear the crowd, the band and they didn't even have a connection to the ref's mic - Thank goodness for David and Avery!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:28 am

I've seen it on tv, but was at Kidd Brewer Sat. Looked terrible before the game even started. I was watching a Citadel tv game and their turf was perfect. Some said it takes time to break in, but it's broken in now

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am

It might be how they drag it out and sweep the field. If it’s not in a pattern and just haphazard, it’ll look strange similar to mowing stripes on turf. It’s all light reflection….imho

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am

bring back the old end zones with "Appalachian" or at the very least "App State" in gold and black in the background.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:47 am

I am no turf expert, but I think it is supposed to be that way. A high end turf to keep ankles from turning. Hopefully someone can expand on this statement.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:48 am

I think yall r toodam picky!!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am

The stadium and the turf were gorgeous in person.
WE ARE YOSEF!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:58 am

While you can have too much infill on a synthetic field, it is a much bigger problem to not have enough. Heavy rains and other adverse weather can remove the infill from the playing surface, which increases the possibility of injury and decreases the life span of the turf.

Does it look as perfect as it could? Nope. Is it better to have a little more than needed at this very moment in order to protect players and the integrity of the field? For sure. App needs all hands on deck to take care of day to day operations, and having someone whose main daily responsibility is to monitor the pellet levels for optimal viewing pleasure is not feasible.
Give 'em hell!

gctrivett

Unread post by gctrivett » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:58 pm

An artificial turf field can have between 20 to 40 tons of infill rubber which is made up of ground up tires. It must be groomed on a regular basis. Wind ,water and movement on the field can move the infill material around. It also can gather in any low places on the field. Keeping it all distributed evenly is vey hard to do.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:41 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:58 am
While you can have too much infill on a synthetic field, it is a much bigger problem to not have enough. Heavy rains and other adverse weather can remove the infill from the playing surface, which increases the possibility of injury and decreases the life span of the turf.

Does it look as perfect as it could? Nope. Is it better to have a little more than needed at this very moment in order to protect players and the integrity of the field? For sure. App needs all hands on deck to take care of day to day operations, and having someone whose main daily responsibility is to monitor the pellet levels for optimal viewing pleasure is not feasible.
The only things I know about this issue have been gleaned from articles and message boards over the years, so I'm DEFINITELY not an authority, but this is my understanding as well. I always thought that App used a higher amount of the infill than many but it helped in injury prevention and had a benefit. I would hope someone who knows more than I do is monitoring this issue. I thought the field looked great on TV myself. Wish I had been able to be there in person!

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:49 pm

I'm interested to see how the stadium will look on tonight's game. No offense to anyone involved with the ESPN+ production, but the picture quality wasn't doing the stadium any favors.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:29 pm

Yes, tonight we are on the mothership and I expect the production value to be top notch. ESPN+ is great because it allows me to see all of our games, but the production value leaves a lot to be desired. Can't wait for this game.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 pm

gctrivett has given the perfect explanation. You got to get that machine out and “drag it” after a heavy rain because those pellets gather in the low places when water moves them.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:37 pm

field looked great on tv tonight - everything was first class
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 am

High angle camera man / truck crew seemed to be having a pretty tough time with the color balance last night. A white player’s face would have gray splotches all over it. Corey Sutton’s tattoos turned into dark gray splotches. The turf looked gray too. But once they cut to an on-field angle it looked gorgeous. Height, lighting, alternating bright and dark green on the field all could’ve contributed.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”