Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Students acting the fool

scatman77

Students acting the fool

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:12 pm

Twitter is all a-twitter with the video of a small group of our students cursing, flipping off, throwing stuff, and spitting on the Marshall players after the game. I'm embarrassed for our university and tremendously pissed that the "5% Rule" from my teaching days still applies: 5% of the group makes the other 95% look bad.

I've sent Doug Gillan the following note:
"I’ve seen the short video clip of the absurd and ridiculous behavior by some of our students as it was directed at the Marshall players.  I hope athletics and security identify them and take severe and swift action.  This type of behavior is indicative of Georgia Southern, not Appalachian State University.  

Thank you in advance and as always:  if you’re lucky enough to be a Mountaineer you’re lucky enough." 
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appalum2003

Re: Students acting the fool

Unread post by appalum2003 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:37 pm

Good for you?

Yosefus
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Yosefus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Not the kind of news we need to be in. Great win and now all its remembered for will be those idiots acting stupid.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:21 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:12 pm
Twitter is all a-twitter with the video of a small group of our students cursing, flipping off, throwing stuff, and spitting on the Marshall players after the game. I'm embarrassed for our university and tremendously pissed that the "5% Rule" from my teaching days still applies: 5% of the group makes the other 95% look bad.

I've sent Doug Gillan the following note:
"I’ve seen the short video clip of the absurd and ridiculous behavior by some of our students as it was directed at the Marshall players.  I hope athletics and security identify them and take severe and swift action.  This type of behavior is indicative of Georgia Southern, not Appalachian State University.  

Thank you in advance and as always:  if you’re lucky enough to be a Mountaineer you’re lucky enough." 
Awesome. Might want to send it to Chancellor Everts as well.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm

God what an embarrassing thread. Let’s go expel these guys for yelling some swear words. “Severe and swift action” What in the world.

Good to know you all were perfect angels when you were 20 years old.
YNWA

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Unfortunately, this isn't going away and is going to be talked about all weekend on television. After such an unbelievable looking television game environment Thursday night stadium full and a win that the icing on that was on the cake just got wiped off by some bratty stupid people.

https://thespun.com/college-football/ki ... -state/amp

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been enough official statement yet.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:03 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm
God what an embarrassing thread. Let’s go expel these guys for yelling some swear words. “Severe and swift action” What in the world.

Agreed. Good grief guys step back from the ledge. This happens EVERYWHERE, and like it or not, it’s gonna happen here. Put a cop over there for the next game and move on.

GO APPS!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:12 pm
Twitter is all a-twitter with the video of a small groups of our students cursing, flipping off, throwing stuff, and spitting on the Marshall players after the game.
No such video exists that I’ve seen and I’ve regrettably been super plugged into this issue all day today.

There’s a video of a Marshall player spitting on our students. There’s a video of fans jeering Marshall players where you can make out one F bomb. There’s an unsupported accusation from a Marshall fan about cursing and flipping off. Not even Karen van Karen accused our students of spitting.

Can we combine threads? When you log in to YC late in the day after a game and something really famous has happened you might want to check a thread or two to see if the topic has already been posted.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:13 pm

ah59396 wrote:

Maybe i wasnt the perfect angel then but i sure as hell am now. So i feel imminently qualified to speak on this topic. this behavior sucks. All alums and students and faculty should be embarrassed as hell by it. Other message boards have already noticed this chit. The culprits should get punished in a way that changes behavior. Banning for the rest of this seasons games might work. On a second offense ban them for life from all sporting events.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:17 pm

ah59396 wrote:

Poke fun at my comments all you want. This very type of behavior caused the SoCon to force the stink to board up stands behind the visiting team bench.

No, we nor I were angels when we were 20 but we didn’t stoop to this level.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:27 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:17 pm
ah59396 wrote:

Poke fun at my comments all you want. This very type of behavior caused the SoCon to force the stink to board up stands behind the visiting team bench.

No, we nor I were angels when we were 20 but we didn’t stoop to this level.
I do remember and GSU will always be remembered for that. I know we have had some bad fans over the years but GSU will always have the worst. Unfortunately, we had a few students act really bad to the visiting team and were caught saying things that they should not have. These students definitely need to be embarrassed.

I will say that I hope our SIDs revoke the credentials of that fan who somehow is getting credentials to games. She is a big Marshall fan and was looking to make us look bad. She was also not suppose to be in that area as legit working media at that time. She conveniently avoided seeing what Marshall players did and apparently was not in the press conference area if she was taking that video. The fact she was hanging out where the Marshall players were going to the locker room just makes me think she was tipped off or just hanging around to see if she could find something.

I'm sure Gillin will make appropriate changes such as a cop or something to prevent the taunting when visitors enter and leave. Games will take over this weekend and everyone will move on. I don't think the young guys need to be cancelled for the rest of their lives but hope they learn from this and grow up.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 pm

These students need to act better, and they should be embarrassed, but if it was no more than words, fix it and move on.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:38 pm

Ill repeat what i said in the other thread. I wish it was a real tunnel and not that awkward walkway thing. We aren't talking millions of dollars here. Its like we built this whole beautiful venue and got to that point and the builders were just like naaahh we're done.

I want the other team to stand there inside the tunnel and feel the shaking thunder of the stands.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:40 pm

FWIW, I could see most of the interactions from my seats in 206. The Marshall players were doing as much if not more before the game and going into the half. They were flipping students off, grabbing their crotches, and yelling back and forth.

As Gonzo mentioned, plenty of video out there to prove what I saw, including the Marshall playing spitting on an App fan.

It is what it is, put a cop over there and move on. This pearl clutching and hand wringing is pretty ridiculous and embarrassing.

GO APPS!!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... ar-AAOM8kL

All of the attention on this really sucks for the university after such a great showing last night.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:58 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:40 pm
FWIW, I could see most of the interactions from my seats in 206. The Marshall players were doing as much if not more before the game and going into the half. They were flipping students off, grabbing their crotches, and yelling back and forth.
I noticed The Marshall players getting chippy on the last play of the game, go back and check it out. I'm not excusing our fan behavior, however, I'd say the Marsha players were just as guilty.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:07 pm

Happens at many other venues. Sometimes you don't want to see how the sausage is made, but it still tastes good when fried right. Rope off the area where the opposing teams walk through so no one can be there as they come on and off the field and move own. No need to unleash the PC police.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:24 pm

All of the deflecting folks want to do does nothing to negate the bad publicity that it has generated. Frankly from my view in 206, it was a pretty embarrassing sight. It’s amazing how brave people can be when they are protected by a brick wall.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:40 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 pm
These students need to act better, and they should be embarrassed, but if it was no more than words, fix it and move on.
Here here. Outside of this message board, it’s already forgotten about. Stick an officer there or put a roof on it and we are all set.

I’m sure some other fanbase will do something dumb tomorrow. There’s a full slate of games.
YNWA

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:49 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:40 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 pm
Here here. Outside of this message board, it’s already forgotten about. Stick an officer there or put a roof on it and we are all set.

I’m sure some other fanbase will do something dumb tomorrow. There’s a full slate of games.
Upon looking at my thread title I now see that it should have been "Fans acting the fool." I sincerely have no idea that it was all students. Also apparently a journalist associated with the Herd was also somehow involved. I shouldn't have convicted students, but I still stand by my opinion that this behavior is unacceptable and those spitting, throwing things should be dealt with.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”