Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching is the issue

AppState89
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coaching is the issue

Unread post by AppState89 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:39 am

Last time I looked Dean Smith and Mike Krzyzewski started out a little suspect and we know the history of 2 of the best coaches to ever coach.

Dean Smith (8-9, 15-6, 12-12) <-- first 3 years
Mike Krzyzewski (17-13, 10-17, 11-17) <-- first 3 years at Duke

You have to crawl before you walk, you have to walk before you run!! SC will be fine, he is still in a learning process. We will be okay. All teams have bad games from time to time.

Go Apps!!!!! Beat the chickens 1-0.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:45 am

AppState89 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:39 am
Last time I looked Dean Smith and Mike Krzyzewski started out a little suspect and we know the history of 2 of the best coaches to ever coach.

You have to crawl before you walk, you have to walk before you run!! SC will be fine, he is still in a learning process. We will be okay. All teams have bad games from time to time.

As frustrating as that was to watch, I can't wait till Weds, I will be in the stands. That game was hopefully a learning experience for all.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:49 am

ULL might have the best overall coaching staff right now, but CCU has the best offensive play caller in the conference. Buckle up.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:50 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:45 am
AppState89 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:39 am

As frustrating as that was to watch, I can't wait till Weds, I will be in the stands. That game was hopefully a learning experience for all.
100% agree with your comment.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:52 am

Oldlknapp wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 am
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:01 pm
Napier runs the Saban system and it's 365\24\7 .If you aren't familiar with it you might research it.It's the reason they ground us into the turf last night and as long as he's there they will have no real drop off , year to year.As to our staff , next week will answer most , perhaps not all of our questions.IF we lose our championship goal crumbles.If we win ,we have the tiebreaker and just need to win out against teams we should beat to get the rematch with LaLa.

Now that you mentioned it... back in the national championship game, just before the game Ohio State was jumping up & down getting pumped up for the game while Saban side appeared to be “all business”. Likewise, Tuesday night, the App coach & players were jumping up & down getting pumped while the Napier side appeared to be more “all business”.

Drink had that "all business" approach and it got us beat by GS. There's nothing wrong with getting pumped up as long as the players don't lose focus. Saban is successful because he consistently has a top 3 recruiting class and he knows how to manage his staff to keep things rolling along. I'm not a Saban fan in general, but can't deny his results.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:55 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:49 am
ULL might have the best overall coaching staff right now, but CCU has the best offensive play caller in the conference. Buckle up.
Louisiana played better against us last year than Coastal did. The only reason the game was closer is they kept shooting themselves in the foot. We match up better with Coastal. In my opinion, UL is the better team and would have beaten them in the CCG is Coastal has played it. Just an opinion since it didn't get played. That said...I agree we should Buckle Up Wednesday and play App football. I don't see another self-sabotaging night like this last one....at least I sure hope not

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 am

Personally, I believe CCU is a much better team than last year as well. The QB has another year of experience. Cannot tell if if LaLa is better or worse than CCU as they have not played... With that said. Let's Go App. St. !!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:04 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:35 am
mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:38 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:41 am
I said this when it was announced and agian last season: I did not like or understand the Clark hiring. It looked to me like the AD was so busy looking for another job that he just gave Clark the job. That said, this is probably App State football. I expect a lot of 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons. Averaging nine or so wins a yeas isn't bad and is probably the best we can do. I'm not sure we can take this program to the next level. When Heupel left UCF, they paid Malzahn over 2 million. Fickell makes over 3 million at Cincinnati. Kalani Sitake makes over a million at BYU. In the Sunbelt, Napier makes 2 million (Chadwell makes 850,000) Clark makes less than 500,000. My point is, we don't seem to have the money to be a consistent top G5 program.
Look, I’m not on the “fire Clark!!” train, even after last nights result, but I said it at the time - it was a lazy hire. Doesn’t necessarily mean a bad hire, but definitely lazy. It sounds harsh, but the only reason Shawn Clark has the job is because it says graduate of App State on his resume. Hope he has them ready to roll a week from now.
that's a cheap shot. Clark earned the hire and it was a good one. And i'm proud to have App State on my resume.
You are missing the point I believe. All of the players were clamoring for Clark at the time, so DG had no choice but to hire him essentially. We didn't even look for the best football minded coach. PLeasing those guys may end up costing us everything Moore and Satterfield built.

We don't know what looking was done, at least I don't. I do think Clark had earned his shot. I tend to agree that "lazy" is a bit of a cheap shot. As you said, the players were 100% behind him...that's no small thing. He had shown leadership in the bowl game two years in a row. He brought a strong resume and frankly, maintaining stability is no small thing. Just look at Arkansas State to see what happens when you keep the revolving door turning too much. I don't think hiring Coach Clark will bite us (personal opinion). I think he has made strides since last year and he will continue to make those strides. Whether we win the Conference Title or not this year, he will keep us at the top and we will continue to compete for championships. Expecting to win the championship every single year is an absolutely reasonable goa, but it isn't a reasonable expectation. Second guessing after a bad game is easy. Let's just hope App gets it done against Coastal. I'm sure everyone on this board agrees with that last part.

IT'S GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 am
Personally, I believe CCU is a much better team than last year as well. The QB has another year of experience. Cannot tell if if LaLa is better or worse than CCU as they have not played... With that said. Let's Go App. St. !!
That's possible, but it's really hard to tell based on their schedule. Literally, the only decent team they've played was a 3 point win. I do think Coastal is good and very dangerous. I'm not minimizing that. I don't think we really know much until Wednesday about how good they really are though.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:07 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:49 am
There is an old saying, "You get what you pay for."
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:10 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 am
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
That's possible, but it's really hard to tell based on their schedule. Literally, the only decent team they've played was a 3 point win. I do think Coastal is good and very dangerous. I'm not minimizing that. I don't think we really know much until Wednesday about how good they really are though.
Before the second touchdown on Tuesday night, I thought we'd beat ULL and Coastal like we got our ass handed to us by the end of the first quarter. I'm looking for a bounce back and being half right by the end of next Wednesday.
BLACK SATURDAY

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:21 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:10 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:05 am
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Before the second touchdown on Tuesday night, I thought we'd beat ULL and Coastal like we got our ass handed to us by the end of the first quarter. I'm looking for a bounce back and being half right by the end of next Wednesday.
You and me both. That about sums up where I am right now too.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:31 am

If you look way back in the football threads there is one calling for Satt to be fired that included pictures of for sale signs. Fast forward and there were I believe 2 threads called Fire Roof. I think we had one calling for our Offensive coordinator to be fired. I’m sure we had something at some point calling for Jerry to be fired as well. Where is that huge bag of money required for the buyout and the additional $2m needed for the stud coach in waiting that won’t ever let this happen again?

I was one of those guys bitching and moaning Tuesday night but I let it go. I questioned the running back decisions because Daetrich looked ok but apparently he was on a 2 run pitch count. I guess Smith was on a short leash as well and maybe the fumble ended his night. So much for Little Riggins- did he even play? On the last TD run by La they showed the camera behind the offense and I swear I saw 4 guys bouncing around totally confused. Whenever they showed Ponce he had his play sheet in hand. It must have been limited to page 1 because we didn’t try much- no receiver screens, very few slants, no real sideline throws to Corey, etc. When we kicked off La had 4 guys up front and we had a great opportunity to try an onside kick. Fail or succeed it would have at least been something different and exciting.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:44 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:31 am
If you look way back in the football threads there is one calling for Satt to be fired that included pictures of for sale signs. Fast forward and there were I believe 2 threads called Fire Roof. I think we had one calling for our Offensive coordinator to be fired. I’m sure we had something at some point calling for Jerry to be fired as well. Where is that huge bag of money required for the buyout and the additional $2m needed for the stud coach in waiting that won’t ever let this happen again?

I was one of those guys bitching and moaning Tuesday night but I let it go. I questioned the running back decisions because Daetrich looked ok but apparently he was on a 2 run pitch count. I guess Smith was on a short leash as well and maybe the fumble ended his night. So much for Little Riggins- did he even play? On the last TD run by La they showed the camera behind the offense and I swear I saw 4 guys bouncing around totally confused. Whenever they showed Ponce he had his play sheet in hand. It must have been limited to page 1 because we didn’t try much- no receiver screens, very few slants, no real sideline throws to Corey, etc. When we kicked off La had 4 guys up front and we had a great opportunity to try an onside kick. Fail or succeed it would have at least been something different and exciting.
To be clear, any App fan who WASN'T bitching and moaning Tuesday night wasn't watching the game! There are some valid questions related to coaching / play calling in that game that will need to be addressed. I just don't think it represents a trend at this point and certainly doesn't rise to the level of "hot seat" discussions.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 am

Yeah , we stunk it up.Anyway , Saban wins because he has developed and tweeks , the best system in the game.It's brillant , and a lot of hard work.Napier runs the same system.Now for fun from the rumor mill....Chadwell to Miami , Napier to LSU.Again just rumors from someone I know who pays attention to scuttlebutt .

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:20 am

Billy rug pulled SC for sure but growing pains happen. Hodor needs to show some progress form here for sure.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:23 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 am
Yeah , we stunk it up.Anyway , Saban wins because he has developed and tweeks , the best system in the game.It's brillant , and a lot of hard work.Napier runs the same system.Now for fun from the rumor mill....Chadwell to Miami , Napier to LSU.Again just rumors from someone I know who pays attention to scuttlebutt .
Don't forget to give credit to Alabama's pharmacy too, for success there. :shock:
BLACK SATURDAY

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 am

mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:38 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:41 am
I said this when it was announced and agian last season: I did not like or understand the Clark hiring. It looked to me like the AD was so busy looking for another job that he just gave Clark the job. That said, this is probably App State football. I expect a lot of 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons. Averaging nine or so wins a yeas isn't bad and is probably the best we can do. I'm not sure we can take this program to the next level. When Heupel left UCF, they paid Malzahn over 2 million. Fickell makes over 3 million at Cincinnati. Kalani Sitake makes over a million at BYU. In the Sunbelt, Napier makes 2 million (Chadwell makes 850,000) Clark makes less than 500,000. My point is, we don't seem to have the money to be a consistent top G5 program.
Look, I’m not on the “fire Clark!!” train, even after last nights result, but I said it at the time - it was a lazy hire. Doesn’t necessarily mean a bad hire, but definitely lazy. It sounds harsh, but the only reason Shawn Clark has the job is because it says graduate of App State on his resume. Hope he has them ready to roll a week from now.
that's a cheap shot. Clark earned the hire and it was a good one. And i'm proud to have App State on my resume.
How's is it a cheap shot? What did Clark do to esrn the hire? Please tell me how an offense line coach and co offensive coordinator earned the head spot.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 am

Yosef84 is correct on all points - as you guys who have been on this board for decades know I rarely criticize coaches and never call out a player by name for his "play" on the field (stupid, loss of cool penalties don't qualify as "play" on the field) - I was stumped enough to text 94 about the offensive play calling during the game (I don't do that) - I totally understand our offensive concept of banging and pounding and banging some more so that in the 4th Q we have our opponent's D worn down - I just don't think that strategy works with a 5'9" 175lb RB handling basically the entire load - We need Cam back to make that work and the use of a 3rd back as well on occasion - All the running plays caused me to wonder what was going on?
By the way - LaLa beat us at our own game - they pounded us all night with 3 RBs and the mobile QB and our guys were struggling in the 4th Q -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:32 am

the "lazy hire" is a ridiculous cheap shot and you can spin it anyway you choose but it doesn't change the stupidity of the statement -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”