Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching is the issue

Saint3333

Re: Coaching is the issue

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:42 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:52 am
Oldlknapp wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 am
Stonewall wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:01 pm
Napier runs the Saban system and it's 365\24\7 .If you aren't familiar with it you might research it.It's the reason they ground us into the turf last night and as long as he's there they will have no real drop off , year to year.As to our staff , next week will answer most , perhaps not all of our questions.IF we lose our championship goal crumbles.If we win ,we have the tiebreaker and just need to win out against teams we should beat to get the rematch with LaLa.

Now that you mentioned it... back in the national championship game, just before the game Ohio State was jumping up & down getting pumped up for the game while Saban side appeared to be “all business”. Likewise, Tuesday night, the App coach & players were jumping up & down getting pumped while the Napier side appeared to be more “all business”.

Drink had that "all business" approach and it got us beat by GS. There's nothing wrong with getting pumped up as long as the players don't lose focus. Saban is successful because he consistently has a top 3 recruiting class and he knows how to manage his staff to keep things rolling along. I'm not a Saban fan in general, but can't deny his results.

Saban in the NFL over eight seasons he was 65-63. His second stringers are a top 10 team at Alabama.

18-22 aged young adults are unpredictable, but there is a range of outcomes from them and some teams 25th quartile results are greater than others 75th.

JohnnyBurrito
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by JohnnyBurrito » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:47 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:39 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:23 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 am
mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:38 pm

Look, I’m not on the “fire Clark!!” train, even after last nights result, but I said it at the time - it was a lazy hire. Doesn’t necessarily mean a bad hire, but definitely lazy. It sounds harsh, but the only reason Shawn Clark has the job is because it says graduate of App State on his resume. Hope he has them ready to roll a week from now.
that's a cheap shot. Clark earned the hire and it was a good one. And i'm proud to have App State on my resume.
How's is it a cheap shot? What did Clark do to esrn the hire? Please tell me how an offense line coach and co offensive coordinator earned the head spot.
You mean other than serving as the associate (or was it assistant) head coach for Drinkwitz and being "second in command" so to speak. And his years of knowledge of Appalachian football, the culture, the schemes we run, etc?

Besides those things, I guess all he did was be an associate/assistant head coach at Kent St, put multiple players at his position group in the NFL, won is only bowl game (at the time of hiring) as the head coach, and was highly recommended by the previous two head coaches.

You're right, he really didn't do anything besides sit around for his previous 4 years in Boone!
This x1000. He interviewed for this job everyday that he showed up to work. He earned it. He deserves it.

I was in Boone for 5 years, including grad school, and my phone never rang. Weird

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:50 am

Last time I looked Clark had used up his eligibility years ago.
Seriously, Im a retired pastor who spent nearly 50 years dealing with human beings in leadership role. Ergo, Ill defend the coaches. Leadership has many dynamics in play. Most of them come from the ones being led. One can preach or teach until you puke peach seeds. It won't work until all dynamics are in place. Last week a dynamic slipped a cog somewhere. For one thing, I noticed the guys looked tentative and scared; like they had a ton to lose. They did not play loose to have fun. They looked much like the team did when we played Miami in Boone, tentative, afraid to make a mistake. The result being their worst fear was realized. Clark tells them to relax and have fun like Coach Moore said to the teams. I hope this message of having fun is heard just as much as game plan and x's and o's are. If so the result on the field will definitely improve.
Last edited by appstate77 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:13 pm

77, you are exactly right. I was there at Cajun field and couldnt quite put my finger on what i saw. the entire team looked tentative and afraid to make a mistake. it was something i had not seen before, except maybe at the first USA game where we got our head handed to us. i dont agree that same thing happened at the Miami game in Boone. At that game, App was too excited to focus on playing the game.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:22 pm

Could it be a simple case of looking past the game with #15 team coming to town? I'm still stumped otherwise.

goapps1

Unread post by goapps1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:33 am

Good Lord he is a season and a half into his tenure. Quit over analyzing. Just because we’re Appalachian doesn’t mean we can’t get blown out in a game.

— Brian

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:09 am

Ironically other schools recruit and sign really good athletes, hire really good coaches, practice and prepare for games and on occasion beat their opponents and every now and then whip their opponents. Maybe just maybe we don’t have the absolute talent that we think we have. I’m not discounting our coaches, players or abilities I’m just speculating that perhaps we sometimes over expect and when we come in second in a game it’s not always someone’s fault. Shite happens especially in sports. Regroup and beat Coastal!

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Obviously no team in America will fire a coach at 4-2. So I'm not calling for that...but I also know it is unlikely that Clark can handle this.

Clark has been in 6 games where we were not heavy favorites. Marshall, Coastal, Louisiana, Miami, Marshall and Louisiana. He has 1-5 in those games and the one time we won was a 1 point win over Marshall.

These last 2 years are as veteran of a team as you can have, and we have 0 ability to make in game adjustments. I dont even want to think about next year...we could be legitimately horrible. But that's another topic.

To mismanage this type of talent is criminal. I've heard the argument of our need for bigger Lineman based on last week's results....outrageous. South Alabama and Nicholls State didn't need bigger Lineman to compete. Louisiana hasn't man handled anyone except us.

Unlike most issues, I admittedly don't have a solution in mind for this team. Of course if we win out, nab a ranked win, a conference title and a bowl win....Then all is well in the world. And I suppose it's possible...its just hard to imagine App State football in this place, when we have so much talent and experience.

Im personally not 'angry' with coach (not that my anger would matter anyway). Just ashamed and humiliated about how we underperform. Many of us put our heart, time and money into this program. 1 game doesn't erase what we've built...but this team should be Sun Belt champions. Let's see if we can take care of step 1 vs Coastal.

goapps1

Unread post by goapps1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:09 pm

There’s a lot of people on this thread that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

— Brian

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Can't cure stupid ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:53 pm

3 games last we were limited due to covid and/or limited/out due to injuries.
I think it is pretty obvious that EVERY team or most every team is stacked with super seniors.
New OC each of last 4 years. New HC last 3 of 4 years.
New HC learning on the fly on how to be a HC during a covid year.
Not sure who "we" are, but do not believe HC is calling anyone out of the stands to play Wednesday
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:22 pm

A few things to keep in mind while some of you stew in your misery.

1) It’s OK to be upset over a loss. However, no one here is more upset than the coaches and players that put a weeks worth of time and effort in trying to win the game.

2) To assume that there were NO adjustments made only shows your level of appreciation for how hard it is to actually win a football game. Both teams make adjustments throughout the contest. Just because it didn’t work, doesn’t mean that they weren’t made.

3) We picked a bad night to play a bad game. Levi Lewis had been struggling all year. He and his teammates played their best game in quite some time. It happens.

4) You can’t win them all and you certainly can’t win them all convincingly. Say want you want about records, but that was the first game in a long time where we didn’t look like we were able to compete. I doubt that it happens again.

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:47 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:36 pm
Can't cure stupid ---
1. If any post you will ever have is violently opposing any criticism...there is no reason for you to be involved in fan message boards. If all you are going to say is "we tried our best" or "things happen" then you are not bringing anything to the table.

2. Calling me stupid? You would never say that to my face. You are a keyboard warrior.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:53 pm

Actually I would say that to anyone who makes these kinds of statements when clearly you have no idea what it takes to be a coach -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:57 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:53 pm
Actually I would say that to anyone who makes these kinds of statements when clearly you have no idea what it takes to be a coach -
Great! I PMd you my name and number. See you at the game Wednesday! You can tech me how to coach!

Go App!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:19 pm

AppSt12 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:47 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Can't cure stupid ---
1. If any post you will ever have is violently opposing any criticism...there is no reason for you to be involved in fan message boards. If all you are going to say is "we tried our best" or "things happen" then you are not bringing anything to the table.

2. Calling me stupid? You would never say that to my face. You are a keyboard warrior.
What is that you are bringing to the table? Why are you against people telling you that “it happens?” You are complaining about stuff that you have no control over. You admittedly state that you don’t have the answers to your perceived issues with the team. If any exist. So that translates to you whining.

Did you watch any football games today? Florida committed 4 turnovers and LSU’s RB had a career day. LSU had no business winning that game, but here we are. It DOES happen.

As for your comments to WVAPPeer. While you take exception to using the word Stupid, Fair enough. But I know that WVAPPeer has been coaching football longer than you have been alive.

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:26 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:19 pm
AppSt12 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:47 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Can't cure stupid ---

What is that you are bringing to the table? Why are you against people telling you that “it happens?” You are complaining about stuff that you have no control over. You admittedly state that you don’t have the answers to your perceived issues with the team. If any exist. So that translates to you whining.

Did you watch any football games today? Florida committed 4 turnovers and LSU’s RB had a career day. LSU had no business winning that game, but here we are. It DOES happen.

As for your comments to WVAPPeer. While you take exception to using the word Stupid, Fair enough. But I know that WVAPPeer has been coaching football longer than you have been alive.
My only issue is his personal insult. I never said anything about him. He's a keyboard warrior. Nothing I said was crazy. You may not agree, but all sound diagnostics on the issues based on my opinions. That is what these message boards are for.

I'm an app graduate, yosef club member and financial supporter of the program. I have the right to express what I see. I have disrespected no one. But I have PMd this fellow, he has my name and number and I'd be glad to allow him to educate me more on the game of football in person. I have invited him to reach out to me so we can meet up at the Coastal game and he can teach me some.Xs and Os
Last edited by AppSt12 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Just for clarification - I didn't specifically call anyone stupid - I made a declarative statement, however it was implied about the comments - and thanks for the support 94 but he probably has been alive longer than I had coached but I appreciate the point you made :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:30 pm
Just for clarification - I didn't specifically call anyone stupid - I made a declarative statement, however it was implied about the comments - and thanks for the support 94 but he probably has been alive longer than I had coached but I appreciate the point you made :D
Hey brother I pmd you my info. Would love to meet up at the game so you can teach me to avoid such stupid opinions.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:45 pm

AppSt12 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:34 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:30 pm
Hey brother I pmd you my info. Would love to meet up at the game so you can teach me to avoid such stupid opinions.
Please let us know whose sack is bigger. I recommend meeting at the top of the hill during the game. I think that is the best place to drop drawers and compare. It may require a third party to make the final decision so you may have to flag down a sideline journalist.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”