Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching is the issue

ASUFan4863
School: Appalachian State

Coaching is the issue

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:00 pm

Last year we blamed it on Covid & turnover. This year, what is the issue? We played scared against Miami, and absolutely crushed by Lafayette. This is embarrassing. This is not App State Football. Don’t chalk this up to “One game” BS. This is a troubling trend and honestly, are we even the 3rd best team in the Sun Belt now?

yosefederation

Re: Coaching is the issue

Unread post by yosefederation » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 pm

Soon to be 2nd best in SBC after next Wednesday 👍🏈💪

SLOANASU

Unread post by SLOANASU » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:52 pm

I usally stick by the HC but he has to go.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:13 pm

SLOANASU wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:52 pm
I usally stick by the HC but he has to go.
Who are you going to hire? You think coaches are going to want to come here if you do that?

Gtfo

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:00 pm
Last year we blamed it on Covid & turnover. This year, what is the issue? We played scared against Miami, and absolutely crushed by Lafayette. This is embarrassing. This is not App State Football. Don’t chalk this up to “One game” BS. This is a troubling trend and honestly, are we even the 3rd best team in the Sun Belt now?
Which Miami game did you watch? :roll:

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:13 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 pm
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:00 pm
Which Miami game did you watch? :roll:
The one where we had Miami on the ropes at the end of the half and decided to run the clock out. Where we continuously run the ball on 3rd and medium to long in the redzone. Where we continuously come out flat and get beat in the trenches (SC is an O-Line Coach!!!!! That should NOT happen). Clark is a good assistant, but he is not what we need as head coach, unless we want a 9-3 record to be our ceiling for the rest of our time.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:21 am

Wave bye-bye to that fictitious AAC invitation and all of the NY6 speculation!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ASUTed

Unread post by ASUTed » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:36 am

We had no chance at ny6 with a loss already anyway. One game also is not going to scare away any conference, what App has built does not decay in one game or even one season.

Also, it’s pretty clear the coaches don’t trust Brice to do much more than play action and hand off. That is why we run on third down and medium/long because he has shown he cannot be trusted with the ball in his hands and they could not afford another turnover. At times you have no choice but to let him do his thing as we were down big, but you see what happened. Multiple turnovers from the QB position is not something we are used to and absolutely not something you can have playing an opponent of this caliber on the road and still come out victorious. If he bounces back against costal then I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but if not then I think we look to one of the young guys to get some game experience as the season is pretty well a wash at that point, camellia or myrtle beach bowl bound at best.

teller

Unread post by teller » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:02 am

Younger guys at QB? Uhh, how about give huesman a shot?

But agreed, with the talent on this years roster it all comes down to coaching and turnovers.

We didn’t just take an L last night, we got taken out to the woodshed and worked.

Last night was all the evidence needed to make the change at QB. Turnovers do not equate to winning football. Period.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:32 am

Yeah, my confidence levels are super low with this staff, we need to use a new QB imo, Brice can make good throws but clearly intercepted a lot

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:41 am

I said this when it was announced and agian last season: I did not like or understand the Clark hiring. It looked to me like the AD was so busy looking for another job that he just gave Clark the job. That said, this is probably App State football. I expect a lot of 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons. Averaging nine or so wins a yeas isn't bad and is probably the best we can do. I'm not sure we can take this program to the next level. When Heupel left UCF, they paid Malzahn over 2 million. Fickell makes over 3 million at Cincinnati. Kalani Sitake makes over a million at BYU. In the Sunbelt, Napier makes 2 million (Chadwell makes 850,000) Clark makes less than 500,000. My point is, we don't seem to have the money to be a consistent top G5 program.

Gears

Unread post by Gears » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:55 am

I’m not ready to throw Clark out the window but I definitely feel a shakeup at QB needs to be considered. IMO, he simply cannot win the tough games. Granted we were missing several folks but that is when he needs to step up…I thought our offense just looked a little flat and disorganized. And why in the heck does Ponce keep running Noel up the middle on 3rd down..Nate is not John Riggins for God’s sake. That is just frustrating to watch when you are 14 points down.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 am

I agree Chase had a rough game. I also agree that Nate is undersized and can’t be an every down back. However, our biggest issue is offensive line. Even an undersized back should be able to pick up 2-3 yards per carry if we have blocking and a push up front. Our offensive line has been bad for the past 2 seasons, and last season we had ALL veterans on the line. Coaching…that’s the problem. SC is not a head coach, yet. Cardwell is way over his head as an offensive line coach. And Dale Jones is a good coach, lots of experience, but I’m still not sold on him having the intuition and innovation to be a DC.

ASUTed

Unread post by ASUTed » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:52 am

teller wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:02 am
Younger guys at QB? Uhh, how about give huesman a shot?

But agreed, with the talent on this years roster it all comes down to coaching and turnovers.

We didn’t just take an L last night, we got taken out to the woodshed and worked.

Last night was all the evidence needed to make the change at QB. Turnovers do not equate to winning football. Period.
Huesman is a 6th year senior, I am talking about getting prepared for next year IF we take a big L against costal. If not, we push the gas with chase and take it as it comes.

Gears

Unread post by Gears » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:00 am

It was just painful to watch…That was not App State football last night.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:22 am

Beat Coastal and this loss while a head scratcher with plenty of blame to be spread over the whole program considering the magnitude of the opponent is moot. We’ll have another shot at “double redemption” in the championship game. We all know this display wasn’t our team we’ve watched this year, nor was Louisiana, which played almost flawlessly. I’m expecting a bounce back win against Coastal…..
BLACK SATURDAY

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:27 am

Lol I love these threads after a loss. Look, I have caught plenty from saying how Chase hasn’t wow’ed me yet, but to say there needs to be a QB change is ridiculous. It wasn’t all his fault. He missed some throws, especially the one that should have been a touchdown coming out of the half, but receivers were dropping them too. We also didn’t have a run game to open up the passing. Last night was poor coaching, poor planning, and poor execution. You mix that with a Louisiana team that wants to prove last years win wasn’t a fluke and you get the whooping we received last night.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:35 am

Definitely a bad game right from the start. I agree with 10 days to prepare they should have looked sharper. Please correct me if I’m wrong but over the last year and a half I have not seen a complete game from App where I felt comfortable from start to finish. Hopefully the team and coaching staff continue to grow.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 am

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:31 am

I won't attempt to play armchair qb. There were a lot of issues last night. What UL did to us is what we usually do to other teams. It was hard to watch, and the final score was tough to swallow. But, let's be real, this was just one game out of 12 and we can still win the conference. Let's right the ship, make mid year adjustments and destroy everyone else on our schedule. Finger pointing won't solve the issues. After a bad loss like this is when our team needs our support the most. Let's get behind them and show them that we're always proud of them for giving their all for App State! Even if we lost by 100, I wouldn't want to be a fan of any other program in the country! It's great to be a Mountaineer!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”