Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

TV Revenue?

mike87
School: Appalachian State

Re: TV Revenue?

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:28 pm

This rolled from financial to recruiting real fast. I don't have any idea about what's rolling through the mind of a 18 year old. I'm so far beyond those days it's like they never existed. I do know what's important to me though and I'm one of those supporter people that Yosef is begging for. I want some dang Saturday football. I don't want Tuesday in Lafayette, I don't want Thursday in Charlotte, (maybe occasionally), I don't even want Wednesday in Boone. I want some dang Saturday football at the Rock and we aren't getting our share of it this year!

But I'll be there Wednesday night.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm

mike87 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:28 pm
This rolled from financial to recruiting real fast. I don't have any idea about what's rolling through the mind of a 18 year old. I'm so far beyond those days it's like they never existed. I do know what's important to me though and I'm one of those supporter people that Yosef is begging for. I want some dang Saturday football. I don't want Tuesday in Lafayette, I don't want Thursday in Charlotte, (maybe occasionally), I don't even want Wednesday in Boone. I want some dang Saturday football at the Rock and we aren't getting our share of it this year!

That’s totally reasonable. To be honest, the weekday games make it difficult to market mini season packets as well.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm
mike87 wrote:

That’s totally reasonable. To be honest, the weekday games make it difficult to market mini season packets as well.
It is starting to make me think about my full season tickets. Weeknight games get me home at 3:00 AM and that just isn't fun. So I bought season tickets for 3 games this year?
Last edited by bcoach on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm
mike87 wrote:

It is starting to make me think about my full season tickets. Weeknight games get me home at 3:00 AM and that just isn't fun. So I buy season tickets for 3 games this year?
I hear you. It’s difficult for a lot of people. It would be cool if App could do a mini season ticket plan like Clemson, where you can a la carte your experience. Of course, every solution creates another problem. How do you handle parking assignments? Do full season ticket holders get priority? How do you accommodate mini ST holders? I think that it’s worth exploring.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I would like to see a realistic cost/benefit analysis of the week night vs. Saturday games.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:20 pm
I would like to see a realistic cost/benefit analysis of the week night vs. Saturday games.
I would too.

I’m betting The Boone Chamber of Commerce could pull the numbers together. If only we had an inside source.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 pm
Stonewall wrote:
I would too.

I’m betting The Boone Chamber of Commerce could pull the numbers together. If only we had an inside source.
Businesses in Boone certainly see a hit on week night games. The athletic department sees a very minimal, if any, hit. Sure, less concessions, but also less staff to pay as well.

Additionally, the private vendors are in contract for the entire season -- week night games or not. So they are paying the same amount regardless of when the games are.

I'd estimate maybe a $5000 hit per week night game. That's worth it for the guaranteed amount of money from the conference that runs the entire department.

I would bet the TV revenue is about to go up with the realignment. I'd guess the current contracts with AAC and Sun Belt will be (if not already) renegotiated since ESPN essentially picked who is going where.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 am

Lots of guessing. Wonder what the real numbers are.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 am
Many years ago I worked for a large poultry company who maintained a small plant (for many years) in a small NC town. Frequently we would get flack and complaints from the local water and sewer company about our usage, sewage, etc. I wasn’t involved with plant operations but I heard the issues. We were, on occasion, threatened with closure, fines and other stuff. Our company higher ups often said that if we were shut down or forced to close it would seriously impact the small community. I did some research to see how much we spent at local businesses to include a hardware store, utilities, etc. We also had employees who dined regularly at the few restaurants, rented houses and otherwise poured income back into the community. Well the plant finally closed and nobody moved into the facility. I have not been back except to drive through the town a few times. Needless to say they are hurting. Long story but the point I was hoping to make is that you can’t always quantify the economic impact unless you include everything.

There is a push every year for season ticket sales but they become less appealing when one or two games are mid week. I have to believe that we lose (net) far more than $5k a game. If we have 6 Saturday games at hopefully 28-30k or more versus 4 and 2 mid week at 12k that’s a huge drop in walk up ticket sales, possibly fewer season ticket sales, fewer concessions, far fewer breakfast, lunch or dinner (post game) sales locally. Fewer hotel stays, etc.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:45 am

There's also students playing in these games that have classes midweek.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 am
bcoach wrote:
Many years ago I worked for a large poultry company who maintained a small plant (for many years) in a small NC town. Frequently we would get flack and complaints from the local water and sewer company about our usage, sewage, etc. I wasn’t involved with plant operations but I heard the issues. We were, on occasion, threatened with closure, fines and other stuff. Our company higher ups often said that if we were shut down or forced to close it would seriously impact the small community. I did some research to see how much we spent at local businesses to include a hardware store, utilities, etc. We also had employees who dined regularly at the few restaurants, rented houses and otherwise poured income back into the community. Well the plant finally closed and nobody moved into the facility. I have not been back except to drive through the town a few times. Needless to say they are hurting. Long story but the point I was hoping to make is that you can’t always quantify the economic impact unless you include everything.

There is a push every year for season ticket sales but they become less appealing when one or two games are mid week. I have to believe that we lose (net) far more than $5k a game. If we have 6 Saturday games at hopefully 28-30k or more versus 4 and 2 mid week at 12k that’s a huge drop in walk up ticket sales, possibly fewer season ticket sales, fewer concessions, far fewer breakfast, lunch or dinner (post game) sales locally. Fewer hotel stays, etc.
From a purely statistical analytics stance, I applaud your recognition of accounting for all of the variables. I would say that when factoring in attendance, are you accounting for students? I imagine that you would remove 7-8k from your attendance for students. From a simplistic approach, let’s say that on average, ticket paying customers spend on average $300 per game, (hotel, concessions at the game, merchandise, food before and after). It maybe more, but you have to account for no-shows and locals.

So, using my very crude math, a crowd of 30k, minus 8k students would bring $6.6 mil. A crowd of 16k minus 8k students would bring in $2.4 mil to the community. These are very crude numbers but it could be pretty significant hit to Boone.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:22 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
bcoach wrote:

The town of Boone certainly does lose a lot as I said. The department does not though.

You do bring up a good point about being able to sell more season tickets if there weren't a few week night games. Say we increase the total by 25% and get 1000 more season ticket holders at $35 a piece.

That's 35,000 for the season. Divided by 6 is just under 6,000 per game. Because of this, I'll change my estimate to $10,000 lost on week night games to the athletic department.

This year, that would be $20,000 total we lost. We earned more than that with our 7th "home" game against ECU. Additionally, we earn more than that with the SBC tv deal annually.

Sure it sucks. But it's how we stay afloat.
tAPPedInSports.net

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:29 am

How much tv revenue do we get? I'm starting to think it's time to work on different networks to get Saturday games.....

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:29 am
How much tv revenue do we get? I'm starting to think it's time to work on different networks to get Saturday games.....
One only needs to look at the current state of CUSA to see how this would work, or NOT work.
WE ARE YOSEF!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:23 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 pm
Stonewall wrote:
I would too.

I think you have to figure in exposure from ESPN/ABC/Disney. I would hate to lose that relationship. I would like to see us (Sunbelt) hold out for 1 home weeknight game a year. ESPN matters. I think you will see a HUGH difference between UNCC without ESPN and UNCC with ESPN. I am a little worried. I do love that ESPN is going to own the AAC and Sunbelt.....It should help us with scheduling home and home games with some decent teams in Football and Basketball. I could see an AAC/Sunbelt/Mac scheduling alliance. Add Marshall and USM to our schedule and it will be a great football schedule.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:22 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
bcoach wrote:

The town of Boone certainly does lose a lot as I said. The department does not though.

You do bring up a good point about being able to sell more season tickets if there weren't a few week night games. Say we increase the total by 25% and get 1000 more season ticket holders at $35 a piece.

That's 35,000 for the season. Divided by 6 is just under 6,000 per game. Because of this, I'll change my estimate to $10,000 lost on week night games to the athletic department.

This year, that would be $20,000 total we lost. We earned more than that with our 7th "home" game against ECU. Additionally, we earn more than that with the SBC tv deal annually.

We are still guessing at numbers. As a Side note I think I am getting screwed. My season tickets are more than $35.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:57 am

I felt violated from the $15 fee from ordering one ticket on the website for the Marshall game, not sure I'll do that again.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:59 am

biggie wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:57 am
I felt violated from the $15 fee from ordering one ticket on the website for the Marshall game, not sure I'll do that again.
Then you should go buy tickets off of Ticketmaster. That’ll make you feel like Jodie Foster in The Accused.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:40 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:22 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
bcoach wrote:

We are still guessing at numbers. As a Side note I think I am getting screwed. My season tickets are more than $35.
Absolutely its a guess.

It depends on where your sears are. Club level is certainly more. But, I was going off the idea if we can increase 25%, majority won't be going Club level and higher. Most are going to be at the lower tier -- which is $35 a piece per game.
tAPPedInSports.net

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:59 am
biggie wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:57 am
Then you should go buy tickets off of Ticketmaster. That’ll make you feel like Jodie Foster in The Accused.
Yeah probably the reason I haven't done it on there in a long time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”