Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ULM discussion

APP93
School: Appalachian State

Re: ULM discussion

Unread post by APP93 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:09 am

This game worries me for some reason, be it the classic let down after big win or ULM getting no respect (-28).

They are much improved...I know I am stating the obvious, but have to expect CCU to win out. In order to make SBCG and get another crack at ULL App must not have any slip ups the rest of the way.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:17 am

APP93 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:09 am
This game worries me for some reason, be it the classic let down after big win or ULM getting no respect (-28).

They are much improved...I know I am stating the obvious, but have to expect CCU to win out. In order to make SBCG and get another crack at ULL App must not have any slip ups the rest of the way.
Hopefully the UL game taught them a lesson about having to show up each and every week.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:06 am

ULM's QB, Chandler Rogers, threw for 369 yds and 4TDs against South Alabama. He was 25/35 with no picks, and he got another 40 yds on the ground. He was playing opposite Jake Bentley, who threw for 320 yds and 4TDs himself.

ULM got shelled by Kentucky, Coastal, and GaSt, and had a very close win against Jackson State, but they're trending up, have a two-game streak against decent teams with winning records, and would love to ruin our party.

We're lining up against quality teams every week. ULM and South Alabama will both give us plenty of trouble. Arkansas State is down, but Louisiana only beat them by a point and we're their homecoming game. Troy isn't bad at 4-3 and they haven't been blown out all year. And GaSo sucks, but that's never stopped them from beating us before.

1-0 every week. There is NO ONE to look past. We have no gimme games. And yeah, I know that's what they say about every game, but it really is the case. Our conference is trending up and we've got to fight each week.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:04 am

The part that worries me most Saturday is turnovers on a wet field. Our turnover margin is the worst in the Sun Belt (116th nationally). Monroe has the best turnover margin in the conference (5th nationally).

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:20 am

If the team is not as focused on this game and the rest as they were for Coastal then there is a chance we drop another loss before seasons end. Stay focused, play to your potential, win out. Still not sure what happened in Louisiana sure hope we don't see that team show up again ever.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:16 pm

I think Clark mentioned in his monday press conference App is -5 on the year in turnover margin? I have wondered what it is about this team that can't force turnovers. Any ideas?

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:16 pm
I think Clark mentioned in his monday press conference App is -5 on the year in turnover margin? I have wondered what it is about this team that can't force turnovers. Any ideas?
Short answer?...all the guys who had a knack for forcing turnovers graduated

Long answer?...There is A LOT of tape available of the offense which allows opponents to scheme away the potential for a turnover. Our opponents have improved over the past years which is why we are having such close games. And finally this is something I don't think we give the team and coaching staff enough credit for is that every opponent gives us there best game. A win or close lose to App can make a season for any one of our opponents so they aren't going to be an easy out.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:52 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:16 pm
We just want to keep it close to give the other team a chance.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 pm

College football is a strange fun world. 2003 App goes 7-4 no playoffs 15 Year I offense coach Jerry Moore has the urge to change things up and a sophomore QB with the right abelites. Coach Moore sent his O coaches to West Virginia to learn about a new novel offense called the spread option. WV being one of the at the time only two(Oregon the other) major college teams running it this new "gimmick". HC coach Rich Rodrigues obliges the App Coaches and the new offense is installed for the 2004 season. 2004 season was not so good but 2005 2006 2007 well you know.
2007 FCS App beats BCS Wolverines with the still new to the world spread attack. The following week Dennis Dixon and Oregon sweeps the floor with Michigan for a double whammy lesson in the effectiveness of the spread. The football world took notice and so did UM hiring Rich Rodrigues away from to WV to replace the fired coach LLoyd Carr at the end of the season. The Spread doesn't go well at UM and Rich is out after 3 years, on to Arizona.
Rich does reasonably well but still sometimes falls short of the big wins. 2018 had Rich canned again for an off field pillow and blanket kerfuffle. A quick one year stint at Ole miss as OC and then Kiffin does not his renew contract.
Terry Bowden son of one time (6 year) VW coach Bobby Bowden steps in and rescues Rich. Now this Saturday Rich Rodrigues gets to come to Boone as the War Hawks OC to witness what he helped along almost 20 years ago. I may not like the guy's personality or character, but must recognize his achievement in changing college football. A hefty tip of my cap for his willingness long ago to share with little old App State. College football is a strange fun world.

Sorry for being so rambling.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:21 pm

That is a good little tid bit but our current offense does not resemble our spread years of the mid 2000s much if any at all.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:22 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 pm
College football is a strange fun world. 2003 App goes 7-4 no playoffs 15 Year I offense coach Jerry Moore has the urge to change things up and a sophomore QB with the right abelites. Coach Moore sent his O coaches to West Virginia to learn about a new novel offense called the spread option. WV being one of the at the time only two(Oregon the other) major college teams running it this new "gimmick". HC coach Rich Rodrigues obliges the App Coaches and the new offense is installed for the 2004 season. 2004 season was not so good but 2005 2006 2007 well you know.
2007 FCS App beats BCS Wolverines with the still new to the world spread attack. The following week Dennis Dixon and Oregon sweeps the floor with Michigan for a double whammy lesson in the effectiveness of the spread. The football world took notice and so did UM hiring Rich Rodrigues away from to WV to replace the fired coach LLoyd Carr at the end of the season. The Spread doesn't go well at UM and Rich is out after 3 years, on to Arizona.
Rich does reasonably well but still sometimes falls short of the big wins. 2018 had Rich canned again for an off field pillow and blanket kerfuffle. A quick one year stint at Ole miss as OC and then Kiffin does not his renew contract.
Terry Bowden son of one time (6 year) VW coach Bobby Bowden steps in and rescues Rich. Now this Saturday Rich Rodrigues gets to come to Boone as the War Hawks OC to witness what he helped along almost 20 years ago. I may not like the guy's personality or character, but must recognize his achievement in changing college football. A hefty tip of my cap for his willingness long ago to share with little old App State. College football is a strange fun world.

Sorry for being so rambling.
Seems like I remember Urban Myer at Utah having a hand in our spread adoption too?
BLACK SATURDAY

mfrench

Unread post by mfrench » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:13 pm

Two weeks ago vs. ULM, GA St ran 87 plays, rushed for 300+ yds and held the ball for 35 mins......oh yes also scored 55 pts......might be a recipe for success....

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 am

Do we lose perception if we don’t blast ULM as Coastal did?
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:03 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 am
Do we lose perception if we don’t blast ULM as Coastal did?
What perception?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:22 am

Man some of you glass half empty worry wart guys crack me up. What does this team have to do to satisfy some of you? It’s like if we don’t win 50-0 intercept 5 passes, commit no turnovers and allow under 100 yards to the other team we have issues. Why do we have to match what CCU does? We beat them. I want us to play complete games and win out but I really don’t think style or margin of victory means much now. Our destiny is pretty much set now. Win out and we aim the East, win the CCG and we go to the same old bowl game to probably play any of the usual 5 or so possible opponents.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 am

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:21 pm
That is a good little tid bit but our current offense does not resemble our spread years of the mid 2000s much if any at all.
Really... who knew, :shock: come on pizza don't you think I know this? tough crowd. :? LoL

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:58 am

I was very surprised to see the spread -27. Thought that was way too much

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:14 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:22 am
Man some of you glass half empty worry wart guys crack me up. What does this team have to do to satisfy some of you? It’s like if we don’t win 50-0 intercept 5 passes, commit no turnovers and allow under 100 yards to the other team we have issues. Why do we have to match what CCU does? We beat them. I want us to play complete games and win out but I really don’t think style or margin of victory means much now. Our destiny is pretty much set now. Win out and we aim the East, win the CCG and we go to the same old bowl game to probably play any of the usual 5 or so possible opponents.
Yep, and I would rather rotate in the younger guys to give them some experience once the game is in hand. It also reduces the chances of injury for our 1s and 2s. The W is what's important.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:17 am

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:14 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Yep, and I would rather rotate in the younger guys to give them some experience once the game is in hand. It also reduces the chances of injury for our 1s and 2s. The W is what's important.
Outside of QB, we do that throughout the game already.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:22 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:17 am
Rick83 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:14 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Outside of QB, we do that throughout the game already.
Yeah, I know. My point was that I believe that's the best approach as opposed to keeping the starters in longer to run up the score.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”