Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Week 9 polls

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: Week 9 polls

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:05 pm
One voter still has CCU at 8, up from 9th the week prior. These voters don't watch games, much less pay attention to the outcomes.
That guy got called out for it all over Twitter and claimed it was a mistake - he realized it after submitting.

Basically the guy didn’t pay attention to what he was doing and just put CCU in assuming they had beaten another unranked opponent.
Give 'em hell!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:54 pm

So, not saying that we should be ranked at the moment, but I'm shaking my head that it's the 3rd best team in the Sun Belt that is the one that is ranked...

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm

We win out regular season, win SBC rematch, win bowl game....then there may be a slight possibility we are ranked..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 am
If i were Cincy and undefeated and didnt get a shot...I'd sue the crap outta the Committee
Conspiracy, collusion, restraint of trade, Sherman anti-trust action, and my fallback, just being a bunch of prigs.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 pm

I like to watch this poll. I am not sure who the voters are but I like to be near the top of these rankings.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/art ... 42URLw4SJc

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:37 am

mike87 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:11 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:16 pm
App 5 votes….

Coastal 24 th
We need to lose one more time so we can stop the top 25 discussion LOL. Seriously though, I don't think any of us in the SBC should be getting votes right now. CCU has no quality wins, CCU is our only quality win, we got blown out by UL who got blown out by unranked Texas, and we lost to a Miami team who is not even receiving votes at this point. UTSA has a weak schedule so far and probably should be receiving a few votes but not actually ranked. If they make it to 10-0 then I would say throw them a bone but I still don't think they are one of the 25 best in the nation. No way UTSA would beat Texas, Miami, App, Pitt, Clemson, Arkansas, etc. type teams.

I also don't think 12 G5 teams should be getting votes at this point. As of now, I would drop BYU, CCU, SDSU, and UTSA for Arkansas, NC State, Virginia, and either Arizona State or Texas in at 25. I do think those G5s are not far off from them but I feel like we need more resume to see who deserves it and I don't believe that the G5 teams should make up 1/5 of the top 25.

I would think people would pay even less attention to these polls after a voter put CCU at #8 after he had them #9 last week. I know it was an error but a mod should have caught it and asked or he should be double checking his ballot to make sure. The fact he does not take his vote that seriously tells me perhaps he should have his vote revoked. AP mods need to do a better job of checking ballots to make sure errors that look goofy like that don't happen.

A lot of teams in the polls around us are playing other schools who are on there as well so it will be interesting to see results this week. I'm intrigued to see how they look in 3 weeks or so when I feel like we should have enough of an idea on the G5s to know who is for real.
Dude, you gotta find 25 you like somewhere.
Here are the 25 teams (by league) that I would rank now. I will note that I would put BYU in there if they beat UVA this week. I think my list is pretty fair. I just can't rank a G5 without a win over a ranked team, 2 P5 wins, or at least key wins over 2+ RV teams.

AAC: Cincinnati, SMU
ACC: Wake Forest, NC State, Pitt, Virginia (Clemson could still argue for 22-25 range.
Big 12: Oklahoma, OK State, Baylor, Iowa State (Texas should be close and wins the next 2 weeks should put them in)
Big Ten: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa
CUSA: None
Ind: Notre Dame (BYU would replace UVA if they win)
MAC: None
MWC: Nobody now but I would slide in SDSU if they win the next 2
Pac-12: Oregon (Arizona State and Oregon State should be super close)
SEC: Georgia, Kentucky, Alabama, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arkansas (Florida should be super close)
Sun Belt: None (App, Coastal, and Louisiana all should be in that top 10-12 just outside of it right now)

SDSU, UTSA, Coastal, and BYU all need a key win and as mentioned above I think BYU has a chance to show it this week. They got bad losses that a top 25 should not lose. P5s get more chances for key wins so G5s have to look impressive against unranked and play close with ranked teams. We really need to win out and rebound with a win over Louisiana for me to say we deserve to be ranked.

Most of the voters simply look at records. A 3-loss team can be better than a 1-loss team. Have to look at who they play and how competitive they are. Texas was superior to Louisiana but Texas is behind them in votes? Goofy stuff like that is why I put ZERO stock in the polls. About 1/2 of the voters should have their voting privileges revoked.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:01 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:45 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:05 pm
One voter still has CCU at 8, up from 9th the week prior. These voters don't watch games, much less pay attention to the outcomes.
That guy got called out for it all over Twitter and claimed it was a mistake - he realized it after submitting.

Basically the guy didn’t pay attention to what he was doing and just put CCU in assuming they had beaten another unranked opponent.
I hope he meant to list them at 18 but I don't know what the method of submission is for the AP for that to even be possible mistake. I would say though that someone with the AP should have caught the vote and asked him if he meant to do that. If so, then okay it is a bad look but it is his opinion. It still would not have changed their rank.

AP could gain a lot of credibility after this year if they stopped doing an in-season poll until late October and purge their voter list to drop 15-20 of them and then add some folks who actually do more than slot teams up and down.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:33 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:37 am
mike87 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:11 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:16 pm
App 5 votes….

Coastal 24 th
We need to lose one more time so we can stop the top 25 discussion LOL. Seriously though, I don't think any of us in the SBC should be getting votes right now. CCU has no quality wins, CCU is our only quality win, we got blown out by UL who got blown out by unranked Texas, and we lost to a Miami team who is not even receiving votes at this point. UTSA has a weak schedule so far and probably should be receiving a few votes but not actually ranked. If they make it to 10-0 then I would say throw them a bone but I still don't think they are one of the 25 best in the nation. No way UTSA would beat Texas, Miami, App, Pitt, Clemson, Arkansas, etc. type teams.

I also don't think 12 G5 teams should be getting votes at this point. As of now, I would drop BYU, CCU, SDSU, and UTSA for Arkansas, NC State, Virginia, and either Arizona State or Texas in at 25. I do think those G5s are not far off from them but I feel like we need more resume to see who deserves it and I don't believe that the G5 teams should make up 1/5 of the top 25.

I would think people would pay even less attention to these polls after a voter put CCU at #8 after he had them #9 last week. I know it was an error but a mod should have caught it and asked or he should be double checking his ballot to make sure. The fact he does not take his vote that seriously tells me perhaps he should have his vote revoked. AP mods need to do a better job of checking ballots to make sure errors that look goofy like that don't happen.

A lot of teams in the polls around us are playing other schools who are on there as well so it will be interesting to see results this week. I'm intrigued to see how they look in 3 weeks or so when I feel like we should have enough of an idea on the G5s to know who is for real.
Dude, you gotta find 25 you like somewhere.
Here are the 25 teams (by league) that I would rank now. I will note that I would put BYU in there if they beat UVA this week. I think my list is pretty fair. I just can't rank a G5 without a win over a ranked team, 2 P5 wins, or at least key wins over 2+ RV teams.

AAC: Cincinnati, SMU
ACC: Wake Forest, NC State, Pitt, Virginia (Clemson could still argue for 22-25 range.
Big 12: Oklahoma, OK State, Baylor, Iowa State (Texas should be close and wins the next 2 weeks should put them in)
Big Ten: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa
CUSA: None
Ind: Notre Dame (BYU would replace UVA if they win)
MAC: None
MWC: Nobody now but I would slide in SDSU if they win the next 2
Pac-12: Oregon (Arizona State and Oregon State should be super close)
SEC: Georgia, Kentucky, Alabama, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arkansas (Florida should be super close)
Sun Belt: None (App, Coastal, and Louisiana all should be in that top 10-12 just outside of it right now)

SDSU, UTSA, Coastal, and BYU all need a key win and as mentioned above I think BYU has a chance to show it this week. They got bad losses that a top 25 should not lose. P5s get more chances for key wins so G5s have to look impressive against unranked and play close with ranked teams. We really need to win out and rebound with a win over Louisiana for me to say we deserve to be ranked.

Most of the voters simply look at records. A 3-loss team can be better than a 1-loss team. Have to look at who they play and how competitive they are. Texas was superior to Louisiana but Texas is behind them in votes? Goofy stuff like that is why I put ZERO stock in the polls. About 1/2 of the voters should have their voting privileges revoked.
You have one flaw in your thinking. You should look at home vs away. We lost to Miami by 2...Tarheel beat them by 3 at home....Wolfpack lost by 3 I think at Miami. In my ranking all four of those are very close teams a loss at home should hurt you more than a loss away. Especially if the loss away was close. Louisiana is going to hurt us, but if we blow them out in a second game and win a bowl we will be ranked 20th to 23rd.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:14 am

Rankings are nothing more than beauty contests. Hide behind all the metrics that you want, our ranking still tend to be skewed by what we “think”. Decide it on the field. Let the conferences decide their champion however they wish. (The conference championship game would be the de facto first round) then let’ em play! Rankings are crap.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:38 am

Rankings are crap but unfortunately they matter. TV exposure, recruiting, donations, etc., improve when our ranking improves.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:20 am

Capt. Ed wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:38 am
Rankings are crap but unfortunately they matter. TV exposure, recruiting, donations, etc., improve when our ranking improves.
Ditto, everybody agrees we don't like how the rankings are created but they do matter whether you want to admit it or not. Capt Ed just listed many of the key reasons. Those are ALL important to App Nation's future recognition in the college football world.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:29 am

Here is how I see rankings.
There are buckets of teams were rankings should matter.
For example:
Top 5ish group.
Mid top 25 group - 6-15 rankings
lower top 25 - 16-25
26-50 teams
51 and lower

IMO, if you are ranking you should get teams into those groups, that doesn't mean upsets do not occur but regardless of record that is how they should be listed. That being said, if a team has a high ceiling but fails to perform consistently then that is a factor (App somewhat fits that category in my mind, our ceiling is higher but our consistency is lacking). Consistency is a factor in a team's ultimate ranking.

Using this approach, once you get into each bucket anything can happen on any day so a single position in a ranking doesn't really mean you are better than the other or not.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:39 am

So Coastal could win out, win a bowl game, finish ranked and 12-1. App could win out, win the Conference, win a bowl, finish 12-2. I’ll take the Championship.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:25 pm

Why is there a posted coach’s poll? It’s an absolute joke.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:25 pm
The AP started a poll for the "experts" that could keep up with it all, which mean newspaper journalists which expanded to other media. UP and then UPI was the other major news wire back then so the grabbed the coaches for a poll. After UPI stopped others took over just to keep it going as it will sound like real experts can do a better job.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:00 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
The AP started a poll for the "experts" that could keep up with it all, which mean newspaper journalists which expanded to other media. UP and then UPI was the other major news wire back then so the grabbed the coaches for a poll. After UPI stopped others took over just to keep it going as it will sound like real experts can do a better job.
Yep I guess after the voting coaches wrapped up their games yesterday, after a little dinner they went home or to the office to fill out that ballot as the ranking comes out early every Sunday.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:23 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:00 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Yep I guess after the voting coaches wrapped up their games yesterday, after a little dinner they went home or to the office to fill out that ballot as the ranking comes out early every Sunday.
Don't forget where they all join in on a group phone call in years gone by or now a group text message and discuss all 120+ games that week that include both FBS and FCS since the App rule allows FCS to receive votes. I feel VERY confident it is all done by THE head coach of each team only after ample deliberation with his peers. And of course they all wait to start this only after Hawai'i or some Pac-12 or MWC team finishes at 1:30 in the morning on the east coast. /s

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:52 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:39 am
So Coastal could win out, win a bowl game, finish ranked and 12-1. App could win out, win the Conference, win a bowl, finish 12-2. I’ll take the Championship.
Agree here. I would say there is a scenario that App, CCU, and ULL could all finish ranked and I hope it happens. I know the AP and Coaches are all seen but the CFP matters most and supersedes them all so I'm hoping that in the last one both of us are ranked. I'm not surprised but it was interesting that the CFP had nobody from SBC and the others have 2 SBC teams.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:01 pm

All of you CCU lovers take note... Newsbreak, 247 Sports, ESPN and numerous other sources are reporting that 'Coastal Carolina was without star QB Grayson McCall in Saturday’s game against Georgia Southern due to a serious upper body injury that will sideline him indefinitely. According to Chanticleers head coach Jamey Chadwell, it could be something that keeps him on the sidelines for an extended period of time. “It is our interpretation that this is a long-term thing,” Chadwell told reporters.' The injury is not considered to be life-threatening.

The Chants have three games remaining...Ga St and Tx St in Conway and Sou Al in Mobile. That Sou Al game could be a big prob for their ranking later this month. Maybe Chadwell can get SBC and NCAA waivers to bypass the last three games but still count them as wins. He's attempted krazy krap before.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:02 pm

:shock:
Last edited by asu66 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”