Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thoughts/Questions about Bowls-Playoffs-CFP Rankings

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:01 am

On a neutral field I firmly believe that App plays Cincinnati tough and if we play mistake-free we can beat the team I saw yesterday. How many kicks got blocked? That FG block was doomed. We certainly could not afford the dumb holding penalties that would put us in 2nd and 18 type situations. We would have to play sound football especially in the secondary. I absolutely don’t believe that Cincinnati is going to hang with any of the other 3. It would be interesting.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:18 am

Cincy wasn't nearly as good as I expected - their defense is really tough and Ridder is top quality QB but as I mentioned in another thread they couldn't run the ball on ECU - into the 4th Q they had only about 80 yards rushing and the stat was posted that into the 4th right before they blocked the FG for scoop and score they had 34 yards total offense in the 2nd half. Clearly one of the top couple of G5 teams but just don't think they can beat the top playoff teams - ECU didn't play well at all and should have been within one TD in the 4th Q - Look, I am a100% believer in the thought that an Ugly win is better than a pretty loss, so they deserve credit for going 12-0
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:31 am

The margins between a good and great team at this level are pretty slim.

The talent can be there but maybe not the execution. Or maybe they execute but there is a lack of discipline which leads to occasional play breakdowns, penalties or other blunders.

So for me, aside from making the plays and scoring points, I look for consistent excellence. And that’s something Cincinnati has now done for two straight seasons.

We should know full well how difficult it is to have a combination of talent, coaching, team cohesion and keep all that rolling.

That undefeated 2019 LSU National Championship team gave up 40 points to Vanderbilt. And scraped by a lousy Texas team.

Just win baby.
YNWA

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:00 pm

If you guys didn't get to see the 4th Q and OTs of the Bama-Auburn game you missed a classic - After that, I say The Tide is in the Final 4 win or lose against UGA (unless they get blown out)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:07 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:59 pm
Since Cincinnati and Notre Dame have been discussed on this thread. Here's some information that may be surprising based the success Cincy has had by being the first G5 to actually be ranked by a CFB Playoff committee. App has had enviable success as a football program, what would it take to match the level of Cincinnati? Without researching I thought the disparity of Cincy and APP was a handful plus of 4 star HS talent. App has made a good living getting the overlooked talent, looks like Cincinnati has too based on 0 Four Stars on their roster. Maybe APP really isn't that far removed from rhyming with Cincinnati's success. Is it possible?

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/fo ... cincinnati

Vegas is usually a good source to get a feel of who is a better team in a match up. Cincinnati -14 to our common opponent ECU this Saturday
We would need the school and their students/alumni pump SIGNIFICANTLY more money into the program and also a bigger “market” because that’s clearly the only thing conferences care about

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:12 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:39 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Since Cincinnati and Notre Dame have been discussed on this thread. Here's some information that may be surprising based the success Cincy has had by being the first G5 to actually be ranked by a CFB Playoff committee. App has had enviable success as a football program, what would it take to match the level of Cincinnati? Without researching I thought the disparity of Cincy and APP was a handful plus of 4 star HS talent. App has made a good living getting the overlooked talent, looks like Cincinnati has too based on 0 Four Stars on their roster. Maybe APP really isn't that far removed from rhyming with Cincinnati's success. Is it possible?

Vegas is usually a good source to get a feel of who is a better team in a match up. Cincinnati -14 to our common opponent ECU this Saturday
Any you guys have an opinion after seeing Cincinnati play ECU? Is Ridder the main difference? Defense looked really good, ECU was offensively ineffective. Could we hang? Their D got after ECUs immobile QB pretty good. 12-0 is a tall order as we know.

Before this weekend

Sagarin has Cincinnati a 9 point favorite over APP on a neutral field.
If we had a better QB situation then I think we could beat them if we had the perfect day

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:00 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:53 pm
What we are seeing now with our latest drop in the rankings after completely demolishing a middling opponent is why I have told folks on this board repeatedly, you have to get into top 25 early and rise as high as possible throughout the season or else you won't be in it late. You cannot just say, "Oh, it only matters at the end of the season." Folks, if you are not in earlier it is very difficult to get back in from our SBC world. Our loss to Miami hurt us and that is just the way the system works. Pooh pooh them all you want but that is how the game is played.

I believe Clark has some compensation on the line for ending season ranked so there is financial implications at stake.
I'd think it would be a hard sell not to rank us if we can beat Louisiana in the CCG. If we pull that off, we would have beaten two ranked teams this season. That's got to count for something.

Appstrong

Unread post by Appstrong » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:31 am

I would almost prefer we not be ranked until the very end, as I believe it would drive our players more to “prove something” these last 2 games.

RCYosef

Unread post by RCYosef » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:04 am

Sun Belt Bowl Tie-Ins, Affiliations

Highest-ranked champion from the AAC, C-USA, MAC, MW & Sun Belt will play in a New Year’s Six bowl – either a College Football Playoff semifinal, Peach Bowl, or Fiesta Bowl.

The Sun Belt will get five bowl slots available to eligible teams.

ESPN owned and operated bowls get the first pick of Sun Belt teams, and it gets third and fourth picks. The New Orleans gets the second pick of the bunch, and the LendingTree has the fifth selection.

2. R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Conference USA
5. LendingTree Bowl vs. MAC

To be determined among the Group of Five conferences. The Sun Belt will get spots in at least three of these bowls …

– Camellia Bowl vs. C-USA or MAC
– Cure Bowl vs. Group of Five or Army
– RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs. Group of Five or Army
– Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl vs. Group of Five or Army
– Myrtle Beach Bowl vs. American Athletic or MAC

The Sun Belt has an affiliation to fill-in if needed …

– Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs. MAC or Mountain West
– New Mexico Bowl vs. C-USA or Mountain West

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:59 am

Appstrong wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:31 am
I would almost prefer we not be ranked until the very end, as I believe it would drive our players more to “prove something” these last 2 games.
I don’t see any chance we are ranked today. Beat Louisiana and we should be but the end is all that truly matters and if we win our last 2 then we certainly will be ranked. Minnesota is going to take a lot of votes from us and Clemson is going to pick up a lot after their shutout.

AppUSMC

Unread post by AppUSMC » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:12 am

For the top 25:

#2, #10, #14, #15, #22 all lost. Miss State and Penn State both were ahead of us in votes and both lost. We could barely slip into the top 25. My gut says we’ll be at the top of “others receiving votes”.

As for the CFP ranking, who knows since Louisiana isn’t ranked.
Last edited by AppUSMC on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:13 am

Yeah I’m not concerned about ranking. Win 2 more games make it 12-2.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:03 am

Jerry palm has us projected to play Florida in the Cure Bowl. I could get down with that

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:13 am

OK - as we have completed another Saturday of great college football give us your Final 4 and if different then who you think will be the Final 4
My 4 --- Georgia - Michigan - Alabama - OK State
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:47 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:13 am
OK - as we have completed another Saturday of great college football give us your Final 4 and if different then who you think will be the Final 4
My 4 --- Georgia - Michigan - Alabama - OK State
Georgia in no matter what.
Alabama has to win
Michigan has to win
Cincinnati has to win

If Alabama or any of the three (Alabama, Michigan, Cincinnati) lose it will be Oklahoma St, if they win. If all Three lose....Notre Dame is in.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:02 pm

Howard Street Hooligan wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:12 am
Black Saturday wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Any you guys have an opinion after seeing Cincinnati play ECU? Is Ridder the main difference? Defense looked really good, ECU was offensively ineffective. Could we hang? Their D got after ECUs immobile QB pretty good. 12-0 is a tall order as we know.

Before this weekend

If we had a better QB situation then I think we could beat them if we had the perfect day
In my opinion and 40 seasons of APP football, we have the best passing QB we’ve ever had. Now he’s on the other end of the see-saw in running effectively. If we had a better runner and less of a passer, then all that Super Senior receiving talent doesn’t come back or is wasted. I’d say no QB in our conference would make us a better team. So, scratching my head on how we get a better situation.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:38 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Before this weekend

In my opinion and 40 seasons of APP football, we have the best passing QB we’ve ever had. Now he’s on the other end of the see-saw in running effectively. If we had a better runner and less of a passer, then all that Super Senior receiving talent doesn’t come back or is wasted. I’d say no QB in our conference would make us a better team. So, scratching my head on how we get a better situation.
I think Brice has been a pleasant surprise and I would say he is the best passer we have had in 10 years for sure. Do you think Brice is just more accurate than Burchette or that he has the better arm? I feel like Burchette had the biggest cannon we ever had. I also think Steve Brown and Armanti Edwards have to get mentioned in there. I want to see what Brice does next year with some less experienced but arguably more or equally talented group of young guys from a speed/talent standpoint. We saw yesterday some guys who could fly but just did not come away with catches that I think they haul in next season in those situations. Horn, Davis, Wells, etc can run and then we got Stroman, Pinckney, Brown, Strowman, Coen Sutton, etc who have potential.

I think you have to acknowledge McCall though. He is likely going to be named the OFF POY or POY by the coaches. Brice should be 2nd team for sure.

Hopefully Brice can get us out to an early lead against Louisiana. I would love to see how Napier reacts in play-calling if we finally jump out to a fast start. Brice could certainly make himself an App State legend in our last 2 games.

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:47 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:

Before this weekend

I agee completely! I am scratching my head on that comment as well.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:40 pm

Sports Illustrated has us playing LSU in the Birmingham Bowl. That would be awesome.
December 28th.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:45 pm

Cure Bowl against UCF.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”