Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Some perspective

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Some perspective

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:17 am

For those of you that know more than the coaches, please listen and remember this the next time you feel the need to gripe about how we win. Happy Thanksgiving.

HighPointApp

Re: Some perspective

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:27 am

Great post. That’s why I ignore 99% of what is negative on here.

Coach Saban is so good at communicating this. I would like to shadow him for a whole season just to watch him operate.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:30 am

We need to re-post this after every game...LOL!!! Some of our fans are delusional too.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:35 am

Yes we do and I agree
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:06 am

I saw this last night and saved the tweet. Im planning on posting it mid way through the second quarter in each game thread from here to eternity. A lot of people on this board need to watch it over and over and over…
Give 'em hell!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:20 am

Love the heart of our team.

I do hope we keep the sport at “non-professional” level, that is in jeopardy.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:22 am

First, I feel the Bama fans Saban are talking about are the ones whose been criticizing his team nonstop, talking about how this Bama team is weaker than many others, has defensive issues and has taken advantage of a conference that is probably not as good as pollsters think.

His sentiment means well and I think this was calculated more for his team going into a trap game at the Iron Bowl. He knows what he's doing.

IMO it's perfectly OK to criticize coaches. They're getting paid good money and they should be able to take it. That's part of their job.

Players, you can wish they played better, but a lot of criticism of them should be off limits IMO.

For those like me who do criticize in hopes of wanting better, I feel the far other side trying to stifle all negativity is toxic and can breed "the emperor has no clothes" mentality.

I'm going to be wrong sometimes in my thoughts. Discussion is fine. If there's one thing I've learned from local government is that no matter how heated the conversation is, once the vote is cast, all involved should be behind and suppor the majority decision.

I believe in Clark as head coach. I believe there are some things he could be better at, but I want him to win every game

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 am

And for T-Dog's comment here - there is no problem with discussing or criticizing strategy but when the attacks become personal against the coaches and most importantly against the players that crosses the line - and that has nothing to do trying to "stifle negativity"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:43 am

How many years have several of us said the same things on this board??? - every fanbase has idiots but it is a little surprising that Alabama seems to have some REALLY stupid fans - what is it - 6 National Champions during Nick's time ---

Thanks to 94 for posting this and thanks to Beau for his plan to post in all future games!!!

And let's not forget - Coach Saban is a West BY GOD Virginia!!! as is Coach Clark
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 am

Criticizing a coach that makes a lot of money is not off limits and doesn’t make you an idiot.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:22 am
First, I feel the Bama fans Saban are talking about are the ones whose been criticizing his team nonstop, talking about how this Bama team is weaker than many others, has defensive issues and has taken advantage of a conference that is probably not as good as pollsters think.

His sentiment means well and I think this was calculated more for his team going into a trap game at the Iron Bowl. He knows what he's doing.

IMO it's perfectly OK to criticize coaches. They're getting paid good money and they should be able to take it. That's part of their job.

Players, you can wish they played better, but a lot of criticism of them should be off limits IMO.

For those like me who do criticize in hopes of wanting better, I feel the far other side trying to stifle all negativity is toxic and can breed "the emperor has no clothes" mentality.

I'm going to be wrong sometimes in my thoughts. Discussion is fine. If there's one thing I've learned from local government is that no matter how heated the conversation is, once the vote is cast, all involved should be behind and suppor the majority decision.

I believe in Clark as head coach. I believe there are some things he could be better at, but I want him to win every game
I believe that he is responding to a caller, but yes, he is quite calculating in his responses. The overarching sentiment that fans often cross the line with commentary on things that they have very little understanding of. He is spot on about fans complaining about not winning by enough. To me, criticism without an understanding of why it happened, isn’t productive.

This last comment isn’t directed at you. Just a general statement. Before anyone should criticize, there should be two thoughts. 1) Coaches generally have forgotten more than we fans know. 2) Coaches absolutely no way more about their team than we do.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:52 am

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 am
Criticizing a coach that makes a lot of money is not off limits and doesn’t make you an idiot.
Without an understanding as to what happened to warrant the criticism is ignorant.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:55 am

yosef69 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 am
Yeah, he came off a bit whiney to me.

Sometimes it’s entertaining to gripe. Even ironically.

I’m imagine he’s referring to people that take it WAY too seriously (message players, coaches, poison trees, etc.)
YNWA

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:06 am

I got on here to post a link to that but someone had beat me to it. When I read the article all I could think is you could replace AppState with the word Alabama throughout the article.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:10 pm

I agree that’s it fine to gripe about play calling and we do it a bunch every game. The threads that call for coach firings along with pictures of for sale signs (Satt several years ago) and I believe 2 “fire Roof” threads get out of hand. People who completely lose perspective and forget that it’s a damn game have issues. Many of us on here will absolutely lose their minds if and when we slip up and go 4-8 one season. I’ll have to say that Saban does these rants a little too often but has zero problem cashing those big checks. As for the comments about his players not getting paid- not completely true but I get it.

I’ve said one thing many times- the teams we play actually recruit, coach up players, lift weights and even prepare and compete to win. When we reach that point of thinking that App should roll every opponent 50-0 is insane.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:39 pm

Saban complains from time to time about stupid questions - or at least, questions he feels are stupid - I appreciate his honestly while other coaches just use their normal "coach speak" - I doubt seriously this was calculated - do you think he really needs to pull a stunt to get his team motivated for this week and next?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:31 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:10 pm
As for the comments about his players not getting paid- not completely true but I get it.
Yea he could've made his point without bringing this up because everyone knows his players are getting paid without him having to tell us that his players aren't getting paid. This was true before NIL and remains true.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 pm

moonshine wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:31 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:10 pm
As for the comments about his players not getting paid- not completely true but I get it.
Yea he could've made his point without bringing this up because everyone knows his players are getting paid without him having to tell us that his players aren't getting paid. This was true before NIL and remains true.
Really?? - are you saying Saban cheats?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:39 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:06 am
I got on here to post a link to that but someone had beat me to it. When I read the article all I could think is you could replace AppState with the word Alabama throughout the article.
You could insert any college football school name in here and it would fit. As long as they have passionate fans who care. Some choose to take it a bit far for every school unfortunately.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:40 pm

This one is a better. It speaks more appropriately to some of our fans that think that transitive property applies to college football.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”