Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Stink game thread

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: Stink game thread

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:31 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:24 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 pm
Bootsy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:52 pm
Now that Helton is clearing the decks in Statesboro, I wonder where Sloan will end up?
We usually have to replace some assistants... And Mrs. Sloan REALLY likes Boone...

I have no intel on this one right now, but it would not surprise me if he came back.

But he will also have other options...
I’m not sure how I’d feel about this. I don’t mind coaches going and coming back, but he went THERE. True Appalachian people don’t go THERE.
He came from there initially....
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:34 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:31 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
Now that Helton is clearing the decks in Statesboro, I wonder where Sloan will end up?
We usually have to replace some assistants... And Mrs. Sloan REALLY likes Boone...

I have no intel on this one right now, but it would not surprise me if he came back.

I’m not sure how I’d feel about this. I don’t mind coaches going and coming back, but he went THERE. True Appalachian people don’t go THERE.
Fool me once…
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:34 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Fool me once…
Anything can happen, but currently, neither his or ANYBODY else’s defensive services are needed. 😉

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:10 pm

booneboy92 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:34 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Fool me once…
Anything can happen, but currently, neither his or ANYBODY else’s defensive services are needed. 😉
From your mouth to God’s ears.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:34 am

AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

He had coached there previously but he didn't come from there to App.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:41 am

Sounds like he's got a lot of years in the Georgia state employee system and retirement bennies.

So maybe he stays down there? GAST runs something similar to what we do on defense, but maybe Elliott could bring him on as an analyst or something?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:12 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:34 am
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

He had coached there previously but he didn't come from there to App.
Correct. But he was an Iggle before he was a Mountaineer. So going off the "True Appalachian people don't go THERE" sentiment, I guess he wasn't ever a Mountaineer.

Side note -- Mrs Sloan HATES Statesboro. She was really mad when the Georgia Southern administration essentially forced the Sloan's hand in going there.
tAPPedInSports.net

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 am

Can some one on this board help me out who knows a little more about football than me?

I was at the game Saturday and all though GSU ran a lot and controlled the clock, they passed more than I expected and to me seemed like they did not run what I consider a traditional "triple option" offense.

I know the new coach is supposed to move away from it completely, but their offense seemed a little different than in years past.

Was GSUs offense still considered a triple option attack? Seemed more of like a hybrid to me while watching...thoughts?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am

APP93 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:53 am
Can some one on this board help me out who knows a little more about football than me?

I was at the game Saturday and all though GSU ran a lot and controlled the clock, they passed more than I expected and to me seemed like they did not run what I consider a traditional "triple option" offense.

I know the new coach is supposed to move away from it completely, but their offense seemed a little different than in years past.

Was GSUs offense still considered a triple option attack? Seemed more of like a hybrid to me while watching...thoughts?
Triple option attack still, but not the traditional flexbone/wingbone/wing t that is generally perceived to be triple option.

Coastal also runs a triple option, but out of the spread. What GaSo has tried to get to the last couple of years is more of that type offense, but their fan base isn't patient enough to let it happen.
tAPPedInSports.net

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 pm

I don't post on these game threads often during the game. I usually scan through them pretty quickly afterwards because I kind of know what to expect. That said, I was very frustrated at half time. I never thought we were going to lose, but we didn't execute well on offense. That said, it's easy to forget that it is a 4 quarter game and the half-time score really doesn't mean anything. Inferior teams OFTEN hang around for the first half playing on adrenaline, etc. That's even more true in a rivalry situation. ANY win over GS is a good win! I am very proud of the team this year and I feel optimistic about a rematch with Louisiana.

Regarding Coach Sloan at GS, if we had a need and he fit that need, I would have no problem with him returning to App. He was a good recruiter and, when he left, they offered him a step up after we had passed him over for promotion (if I recall correctly). He has a right to pursue what is best for his career. If he put the black and gold back on he would give us everything he has got.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:36 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:12 am

Side note -- Mrs Sloan HATES Statesboro. She was really mad when the Georgia Southern administration essentially forced the Sloan's hand in going there.
Explain the red glow part if you can.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:31 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:36 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:12 am

Explain the red glow part if you can.
There was an offer on the table, but he hadn't officially accepted it yet knowing Nate Woody could be moving on and he would be next in line at App for DC.

GaSo administration had a press release and announced him as the new DC. Being the good man and friend of Lunsford, he didn't push back. He, and Mrs Sloan, would have rather stayed in Boone. Lunsford reportedly drove up to Boone that night to personally apologize.
tAPPedInSports.net

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:28 pm

APP93 wrote:

Georgia Southern hasn't run a true veer/triple option since 2013, Monken's last year. They ran a flex/shotgun option in 2014 and 2015 with Fritz, ran a stupid mix of pro style and option in 2016 and 2017 with Summers, then Lunsford tried to run his version of the gun option with some more wrinkles. Whitley, the interim coach and GS grad, seemed to continue that and simplify it more.

GS ran multiple QBs because neither seemed to be completely comfortable running the offense. They really missed Shai Werts this year, cause he could make up for their deficits in other areas.

Triple option is more of a play with the B back in motion behind the under-center QB and A-back. Army still runs it.

I'd be very surprised if Clay Helton runs the veer/triple option. If they wanted to do that, they'd have hired Bohannon from Kennesaw State.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 pm

Also, I believe Sloan got like double the pay or something close to it at GaSo.

The story I heard was that it was requested that GaSo announce Sloan after App's bowl game, but they announced it beforehand.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:44 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:28 pm
APP93 wrote:

Georgia Southern hasn't run a true veer/triple option since 2013, Monken's last year. They ran a flex/shotgun option in 2014 and 2015 with Fritz, ran a stupid mix of pro style and option in 2016 and 2017 with Summers, then Lunsford tried to run his version of the gun option with some more wrinkles. Whitley, the interim coach and GS grad, seemed to continue that and simplify it more.

GS ran multiple QBs because neither seemed to be completely comfortable running the offense. They really missed Shai Werts this year, cause he could make up for their deficits in other areas.

Triple option is more of a play with the B back in motion behind the under-center QB and A-back. Army still runs it.

I'd be very surprised if Clay Helton runs the veer/triple option. If they wanted to do that, they'd have hired Bohannon from Kennesaw State.
Veer is a blocking scheme -- not an offensive scheme. Veer is typically used in a triple option attack, but it is also used in other schemes. In fact, our zone scheme is based on veer principles. Also, looking at tape, Georgia Southern did run veer block scheme a lot still.

Like T dog said, they haven't ran a true flexbone/wing t in a few years, but they still used triple option principles -- just passed more out of it.

Helton will not run a triple option attack. Also, it's a good bet their fan base won't give him enough time to get players needed to run anything other.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:51 am

This is from a few years past, but if you want to get into the weeds of the GaSo Triple Option, here's a 58 page playbook:

http://www.playbookexchange.net/playboo ... thern1.pdf

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”