Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Game week in Boca

fjblair

Re: Game week in Boca

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:39 pm

The finish to this season was a complete disaster, and extending Clark was premature. Not saying he's not the guy, but he has not proven that he is at this point. This team did not meet expectations and seems to be regressing. We were never really "in" either of the last two games, the most important games of the season.
Last edited by fjblair on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:39 pm

4-4 against teams with winning records.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:40 pm

Listen…turnovers were our bugaboo all year. 3 turnovers…we lost by 21. That isn’t scheme or adjustments. We ran into a hot team today yet we piled up 600 yards of offense. Other than turnovers today we didn’t get more than 3 rushing most of the day. I admit I’m spoiled but I’m a realist. I do have every confidence we will get it done again next year. And like all of you I loved Armanti but that is ancient but memorable history now. Eyes Forward.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:40 pm

Not gonna lie, I was amped with the Brice pickup and thought much of his woes at Duke were the Oline. He just has a knack for missing 2-3 wide open throws per game. Combined with taking sacks at the worst time or turning the ball over too much. By no means is Brice to blame for us giving up 50+ points. I just don't think he is the put the team on your back and go win a game when you need him type QB. Do I expect us to always have an Armanti Edward's every year, of course not. But a ZT type at least had the leadership you wanna see from QB 1.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:41 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:30 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:05 pm
AE would have had this team at 12-1 or perhaps better.
He would not have made it through the year, go back and look at how many hits Brice has taken. AE would have taken twice that many. Look at how our backs stayed banged up this year.
Actually he would take half the hits or less.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:44 pm

WKU just scored again.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:45 pm

We have gotten too predictable. That's on both sides of the ball. Look at our 3rd down defense this year, worst I can remember. Offense struggled at times too. Thinking we need to get bigger on the offensive line too. If we're going to run, we need guys that can plow some dirt. Teams are figuring out how to play that zone stretch, especially when they can read our offense like some seem to be able to do.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:49 pm

I'm sorry but I was not as high on Zac as some of you are. Zac regressed from what he showed he was capable of against Penn State, he also was limited in his ability to throw, and struggled with some things I won't discuss here on an open thread (coaching changes def a part of it). He had the threat of running, and was really good at it, so it coveted up for his other limitations. Brice is a solid pocket QB, and for some reason we brought in Ponce who seemed to not grasp the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel very well. As has been noted, he is a first year PC, so with that in mind, it's not like he had already built and established an offensive strategy here. You would expect a first year guybtonbuild around his personnel, not be building "his" offense without consideration for the personnel.
The Appalachian State

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:53 pm

These two losses can be used to motivate the younger players. Good times lead to weakness, tough times lead to strength. This is a cycle and Mountaineers tend to rebound fairly well.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:59 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:40 pm
Not gonna lie, I was amped with the Brice pickup and thought much of his woes at Duke were the Oline. He just has a knack for missing 2-3 wide open throws per game. Combined with taking sacks at the worst time or turning the ball over too much. By no means is Brice to blame for us giving up 50+ points. I just don't think he is the put the team on your back and go win a game when you need him type QB. Do I expect us to always have an Armanti Edward's every year, of course not. But a ZT type at least had the leadership you wanna see from QB 1.
That is exactly right. Brice is not a bad QB by any means. He is just not as good for a total game as some we have had in the past. Stats are all well and fine but stats don't always win games. Stats don't necessarily happen when you need them to win a game. Today we scored enough to win most games. Today the defense came up against the best team we have played in a very long time. One of the best QBs we have played in a long, long time. Excellent receivers we are not used to coming up against. Then finally a running game that anyone would be happy to have and nobody expected. We were just whipped by better talent. Could we have been better prepared? Maybe, but to lay this all on coaching is just plain ridiculous.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:03 pm

I cannot remember AE taking many hits.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:11 pm

Man did I miss the game? I was busy mowing the rain off my grass.

Welcome to the curse of the mid majors. You get hot, get a streak for a time. Coaches ride the wave to higher paying jobs. Then you take the safe hire back to mediocrity. Then you make another splash with a new coach. They move on. The next coach rides that wave and moves on. Then you make a safe hire to make people happy. And back to mediocrity. Then Splash!

But....that is why culture matters. Churn out more NFL talent. Keep the brand popular even during 8-6 seasons. Become a destination for recruits with pro aspirations. It won't matter as much when we are in the safe hire part of the boom bust wave if we have these types of things going for us. We will still have a valued program. Above all else.....put your butt in a stadium seat if at all possible.

Here is a recipe for sour milk:

Ingredients
1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup of milk just a little less
Instructions
To make exactly 1 cup of sour milk put 1 tablespoon of vinegar OR 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a measuring cup and fill it up with milk until you get to the 1 cup mark. Give it a stir.
Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes so it can become soured and it’s ready to use.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:17 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:40 pm
Have you ever watched (in person) the kind of hits he takes after he throws the ball? 10 times worse than the sacks. Yet he never ever hesitates to take a hit. He is made of steel.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:19 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:38 pm
NewApp wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:21 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:19 pm
ASU-FTW wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:21 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:18 pm
It would look to be that we have some coaching issues on the defensive side of the ball.
Yep. Not a huge Dale fan myself
I was disappointed that we brought Mark Spier on as an analyst. We need youth on coaching and fresh ideas from different perspectives.

Who was first on your list instead of Mark Spier, Highland?

Someone who has coached under different systems.

There is a bunch of chatter on this board about playing AppState football and hiring AppState guys. That is is exactly how Georgia Southern got where they are today; by trying to keep doing the same old thing over and over. "AppState Football" is letting a young coach talk an old coach searching for answers to go visit Rich Rod at WV and learn an innovative new offense. Getting the "old gang back together" never works in anything especially not a game that changes with new innovations and wrinkles annually.
An Analyst’s job is to game plan and scheme through film study. Not recommend and install new tactics. There isn’t a reason to learn a new offense, there isn’t a reason to scrap the 3-4. We are the fifth winningest program in the FBS outside of some pretty big names. Which pretty much means that we are the winningest G5 team in that time frame. Did we have a bad year? There are a lot of teams and fanbases that would kill for a 10 win season. We do not what we do. Is it broken or in need of repair? I guess we can all have different opinions on here. But I’m going to go with what the coaches think.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:20 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:29 pm
Yosef1986 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:53 pm
On a positive note - the blueprint on how to beat us is now in the open. We should have an off season agenda - watch film and adjust. We will still have the talent for next year - however, we do need to adjust. Maybe a few different wrinkles and looks would be beneficial.
Go Apps! Looking forward to 2022.
Yeah! I mean, all ULM and South Alabama have to do is switch to an air raid offense and get an NFL caliber QB who will break the single season passing and TD records! Uh oh! Sounds like we are in trouble!
Not my point - looking at the entire season - beat the teams we should and struggled with the better teams.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Yosef1986 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:20 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:29 pm
Yosef1986 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:53 pm
On a positive note - the blueprint on how to beat us is now in the open. We should have an off season agenda - watch film and adjust. We will still have the talent for next year - however, we do need to adjust. Maybe a few different wrinkles and looks would be beneficial.
Go Apps! Looking forward to 2022.
Yeah! I mean, all ULM and South Alabama have to do is switch to an air raid offense and get an NFL caliber QB who will break the single season passing and TD records! Uh oh! Sounds like we are in trouble!
Not my point - looking at the entire season - beat the teams we should and struggled with the better teams.
The offense we run is beatable if you don't dominate the line of scrimmage. Teams knew this, packed and packed the box.

We didn't win because the offense couldn't change enough to keep defenses honest and the RBs are polar opposites and also predictable which doesn't help.

Recipe for losing to good teams late in the year

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:19 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:

I was disappointed that we brought Mark Spier on as an analyst. We need youth on coaching and fresh ideas from different perspectives.

There is a bunch of chatter on this board about playing AppState football and hiring AppState guys. That is is exactly how Georgia Southern got where they are today; by trying to keep doing the same old thing over and over. "AppState Football" is letting a young coach talk an old coach searching for answers to go visit Rich Rod at WV and learn an innovative new offense. Getting the "old gang back together" never works in anything especially not a game that changes with new innovations and wrinkles annually.
An Analyst’s job is to game plan and scheme through film study. Not recommend and install new tactics. There isn’t a reason to learn a new offense, there isn’t a reason to scrap the 3-4. We are the fifth winningest program in the FBS outside of some pretty big names. Which pretty much means that we are the winningest G5 team in that time frame. Did we have a bad year? There are a lot of teams and fanbases that would kill for a 10 win season. We do not what we do. Is it broken or in need of repair? I guess we can all have different opinions on here. But I’m going to go with what the coaches think.
We're the 5th winningest G5 team because of what has happened in the past, with 2 coaches and staff no longer here. We need to focus on the now and the future, where we currently look weak and listless. As stated above, GSU has already taken the stagnant but glorious path of historical accomplishment.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:33 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
NewApp wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:18 pm
It would look to be that we have some coaching issues on the defensive side of the ball.

"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

Boonegoon

Unread post by Boonegoon » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:41 pm

Gotta say I’m not going to miss many of you on this board this off season. We’ve won 10 games and had 4 turnovers today and were in this track meet the whole time. Utilizing a pocket passer in a system that basically leans on a mobile qb. You’d think we were Bama with some of these bs takes. Maybe just maybe we weren’t as good this year as some thought. Maybe we actually over performed. I don’t know about that but I do know y’all don’t know either. But the incessant wining has made visiting this board so unenjoyable. Merry Christmas you filthy animals.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:43 pm

I’m invoking Saban’s comments about fans….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”