Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

College football- interesting

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

College football- interesting

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:55 am

appst89
Site Admin

Re: College football- interesting

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:02 am

Something will remain, but this is the death of college athletics.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:22 am

Congress will end up getting involved because otherwise college sports just won't survive. Too many people don't realize that every non revenue college sport is dependent on the revenues of football and basketball. If those revenues are taken away, or the operating costs are greatly increased by paying players, the non revenue sports will be the first to die.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:30 am

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:22 am
Congress will end up getting involved because otherwise college sports just won't survive. Too many people don't realize that every non revenue college sport is dependent on the revenues of football and basketball. If those revenues are taken away, or the operating costs are greatly increased by paying players, the non revenue sports will be the first to die.
What a terrible situation! I agree! It’s awful to want congress to get involved in anything but it appears that’s all that’s left to save college football as we know it.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:10 am

So what ever happened to the structure of the NCHSAA with our idiot state legislature wanting to do away with the Association and running it themselves? - I'm asking because I don't know -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:22 am

IF this does go down the path projected in article, and it may, I think there will become a big divide in the colleges, those that pay (significantly) and the those that can't. IMO, there will be a group that can but most will not. I will no longer consider teams that pay athletes (and most of team) substantial money as true college/amateur programs. They will be a form of professional sports in my mind and I just can't see how that compares to any form of college athletics we have traditionally supported. At that point, I might as well go watch the pros. It won't a game to have a Professional team play an amateur team. It won't be fun to watch as it won't be a game. So what will happen in that scenario is all the paying schools will go off and play each other and the non-paying will go play. Will the non-paying games be worth watching? I don't know but that will be the reality for me.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am

I get why it’s annoying to athletes to make their school millions while getting “nothing,” but at the end of the day I think back to my baseball playing days and I would have killed for an opportunity to keep playing at a D1 school, especially if that meant my school was paid for AND I had the opportunity to be coached by the best to give myself a shot at making millions at the next level.

Seriously, how different are college athletics than a full time job? You get “paid” to do your entry-level job by means of a scholarship, you do your work, and if you’re good enough you get the opportunity to move up. And by the way, entry-level employees as a whole also make their company millions while being paid pennies. I get athletes put their bodies on the line, but no one is forcing them to go out there. They can quit at any time. I agree with the NIL, but not in its current state. There should have to legit be a business plan for each athlete showing how it will generate an ROI and it should have to be approved by someone. Giving every bench warmer a full ride and calling it based on the NIL is stupid.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:42 pm

Like others have said, this impacts non revenue more than revenue. Could App potentially pay football players? Yes... Could App pay same players and also keep other sports....much more difficult. Which brings me to TITLE 9.

Compensation could never be equitable because of the difference in revenue. So I don't see how under the current structure schools even large schools can do it.

I see the future looking something like Non scholly/ Davidson football but instead, we will offer scholarships, NIL and maybe stipends versus a full on salary.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:35 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:10 am
So what ever happened to the structure of the NCHSAA with our idiot state legislature wanting to do away with the Association and running it themselves? - I'm asking because I don't know -
They had a joint meeting. The NCHSAA is still running things with some of the changes legislative wanted. Some of the penalty situations are handled differently. I don’t know about the money.
Bring Your A Game!

AppBox

Unread post by AppBox » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Once the athletes are all just employees I'll miss my season tickets.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:41 pm

The only change I would support is if the athlete wants to major in "FOOTBALL", create a program that is about football. Taylor Lamb could have majored in football and looks like he will make money in football. Same for basketball, softball or any sport. If that is what the athlete wants to major in...let it be. In exchange for all of the coaching and equipment and facilities to improve your skill, just like a business major, you get a degree if you can prove proficient. NIL should be treated like a part time job and anyone that signs an NIL and wants to say the word Appalachian State or wear an Appalachian State shirt should compensate APPSTATE. I had a part time job as a business major and I made as much as my skills allowed (which wasn't much..no skills). Let the athletes create as much money as they can with their skill. Their skill (NIL) should not include the word AppState in the marketing/advertising unless App is compensated or consents.

If I were an FBS president it is what I would push for - NIL is just a job. If NCAA Basketball video game comes out and the AppState jersey with number 20. Delph does not get paid. But, if the stats or the game say Delph anywhere on the game or jersey...Delph gets paid. To me it very simple.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:58 pm

The difference is in baseball you do not have to go to college to play, you can go straight from high school into the majors. Basket ball was the same way as well as hockey. College football is changing, but it is not the end. I am sure that there were people that thought allowing freshmen to paly was the end, as well as the forward pass, and having players just play offense and defense instead of both ways.

AppBox

Unread post by AppBox » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:25 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:58 pm
The difference is in baseball you do not have to go to college to play, you can go straight from high school into the majors. Basket ball was the same way as well as hockey. College football is changing, but it is not the end. I am sure that there were people that thought allowing freshmen to paly was the end, as well as the forward pass, and having players just play offense and defense instead of both ways.
I am sure it will not come to an end. It will change and it will thrive in its own way. I just have no interest in going to/supporting something with no real affiliation other than a check. I can enjoy watching pros with a shorter drive and better concessions :)

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:38 pm

Some of these ads are humorous...Give kids credit... cashing in on NIL

Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:11 pm

At this point the only way to save college football is for the NFL to develop a feeder league like MLB so that the cream of the crop skip college.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:44 pm

If you are honest there are things that could be improved in college athletics by having athletes sign a contract and get paid instead of just a 'free education'. Just off the top, the kids deserve healthcare that extends beyond their playing days. It would benefit the schools to have a commitment to return, especially in basketball. If NCAA would take the lead on this and develop the contract the current situation could be improved. A base salary that covers tuition, room and board and allows for "bonus income" for certain situations isn't all that bad and wouldn't wreck the current system.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:06 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am
I get why it’s annoying to athletes to make their school millions while getting “nothing,” but at the end of the day I think back to my baseball playing days and I would have killed for an opportunity to keep playing at a D1 school, especially if that meant my school was paid for AND I had the opportunity to be coached by the best to give myself a shot at making millions at the next level.

Seriously, how different are college athletics than a full time job? You get “paid” to do your entry-level job by means of a scholarship, you do your work, and if you’re good enough you get the opportunity to move up. And by the way, entry-level employees as a whole also make their company millions while being paid pennies. I get athletes put their bodies on the line, but no one is forcing them to go out there. They can quit at any time. I agree with the NIL, but not in its current state. There should have to legit be a business plan for each athlete showing how it will generate an ROI and it should have to be approved by someone. Giving every bench warmer a full ride and calling it based on the NIL is stupid.
Your thought process is logical and to a large extent I agree with you. I believe what your missing is the perspective of the athlete and/or the entry level worker, especially in this day and age. We are in a time where a 4 year degree doesn't mean what it used to so the scholarship isn't worth what it used to be.

Players know how relevant and popular the game is in our society, they know how much coaches make, they know how much everyone on the periphery makes....all off their efforts. Its only fair to get a piece of the take. Much like in business world today qualified and capable entry level talent knows the market value of their abilities and is cashing in. Its only fair to expect college football players to do the same.

I don't feel that the vast majority of players should be making millions or even hundreds of thousands of dollars but I do feel they need to be compensated appropriately via TV & Broadcasting dollars. If that means my SLING/ESPN+ subscription go up then so be it.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 pm

The current players didn't create the infrastructure that allows them to succeed from the athletic standpoint, nor the greater college or University as a whole. And that investment is millions upon millions . and paid by others .I always figured that in as part of their compensation along with the free education. Speaking of which, what is the lifetime value of that? The overwhelming majority will never be professional athletes. Be careful what you wish for as all that glitters ain't gold.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:24 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am
I agree with the NIL, but not in its current state. There should have to legit be a business plan for each athlete showing how it will generate an ROI and it should have to be approved by someone.
This is mostly off topic, but relates to NIL. My youngest daughter recently bought a pair of Erin Matson branded shin guard socks to wear when she plays field hockey. Who is Erin Matson you say? She is currently the star of the UNC-CH field hockey team, and arguably the best field hockey player in the US.

I get a little squeamish on the NIL rules for the super stars who will be going to make big bucks or where there is motivation for corruption, but it is really nice that someone who will not have the opportunity to make millions as a professional in their chosen sport but is geting a chance thanks to the NIL rules to make a little something on the side as a reward for all their hard work and dedication to their sport.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:35 am

For me the key and difficult word in this whole thing is “appropriately “, as in the athlete should be paid appropriately. What exactly is that amount of money? If you just consider the P5 schools as a separate entity and put every current football player on a list how many of them are truly legit stars who people want to watch? If those schools broke away into a semi-pro football league how much is the 3rd string punter at Vanderbilt making versus the first team receiver at Alabama? If the punter at Syracuse stinks is that guy at Vanderbilt going to enter a portal to attempt to grab that spot at Syracuse in hopes of better pay?

If there is no breakaway but Title 9 (?) kicks in does Alabama have to pay the women’s field hockey team the same as the football team in terms of non NIL money? Would you see poorer kids going to the huge schools happy to sit the bench simply for a paycheck?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”