Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ponce Speculation

App1995
School: Appalachian State

Ponce Speculation

Unread post by App1995 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:45 pm

Yosef84

Re: Ponce Speculation

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:07 pm

Well, that would suck. It would be a great opportunity from Ponce's perspective so couldn't blame him but would suck from the App perspective.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:06 pm

Understandable.If it is to happen , the sooner the better.

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:55 pm

Yea i would hate to see him go but thats the price for success at our level...coaching carosouel

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 pm

NO, stay away from our guy! Regardless of all the analysis and stuff we discuss about our Offense and tweaking, etc. We have a guy we want to keep for a while and let him refine his craft at App. I want to see what Clark and Ponce do over the next few years as both mature their coaching skills.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:27 pm

Would hate to see Ponce go…but I hear Tony Petersen is available. 🤓 (Please don’t throw anything…just joking).

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:52 pm

I like Ponce and would like to see him develop as an OC but I really want to have some continuity at OC for a few years to let our offense settle into some consistency. At this point we have had 4 different OC's in 4 yrs.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:54 pm

They must pay Justin Dottavio well. That's some detailed analysis.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:27 pm
Would hate to see Ponce go…but I hear Tony Petersen is available. 🤓 (Please don’t throw anything…just joking).
He is at Illinois State now! Thank goodness! So glad for him to land there!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:56 pm

Fired from Illinois after one year. He wasn’t good I don’t care who defended him.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:43 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 pm
AppYosef! wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:27 pm
He is at Illinois State now! Thank goodness! So glad for him to land there!
Thanks for the update. I did not realize he had found a new gig.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:10 am

As long as his GIG in NEVER at App State again, that will be good. Petersen was horrible!!!!
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 am

Do you think that there are coordinators at schools who know what they are doing, put in good game plans and call plays but look down on the field and say to themselves- “god this team stinks, doesn’t have enough talent and can’t execute these plays?” Fans watch their team and often expect a miracle worker to transform the players on the roster into some juggernaut. We bitch and moan because a run play on 3rd and 5 was called instead of a sure fire pass that would have worked. You have to think that a coordinator worth his salt calls a play based on the defense in front of him and fully expects those 11 players to execute. Guess it doesn’t always work out that way and sometimes the stud we think we have isn’t as good as the dude lining up in front of him.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:21 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 am
Do you think that there are coordinators at schools who know what they are doing, put in good game plans and call plays but look down on the field and say to themselves- “god this team stinks, doesn’t have enough talent and can’t execute these plays?” Fans watch their team and often expect a miracle worker to transform the players on the roster into some juggernaut. We bitch and moan because a run play on 3rd and 5 was called instead of a sure fire pass that would have worked. You have to think that a coordinator worth his salt calls a play based on the defense in front of him and fully expects those 11 players to execute. Guess it doesn’t always work out that way and sometimes the stud we think we have isn’t as good as the dude lining up in front of him.
That is true but that same point "sometimes the stud we think we have isn’t as good as the dude lining up in front of him" can also apply to the coaches. Don't get me wrong, I am not of the extreme attitude of some that think Peterson was really awful but I just wasn't convinced he was as good as we can do in that role at App. We don't have to get into that point as it is just two levels of opinion both leaning the same way.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:44 am

Neither did the Illinois..after one year..
Lol
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:48 am

By the way what I said had nothing to do with Petersen, just a general question.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Some coordinators think that for sure but we had talent. Not all teams do. I think some fans can often have lofty expectations but it doesn’t always mean a group is wrong when they complain about a certain OC. His firing from Illinois, and reasons I heard offline, in just a year was confirmation of the things we had happen. He isn’t the worst ever but we could get better for sure. Many of his issues were during the week as well and Illinois dealt with it.

I remember some on here, and 247, gloated that Tony must not be that bad because Illinois hired him but they are quiet now. He didn’t last long just like many of us expected.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:10 pm

He must give one hell of an interview.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:48 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Some coordinators think that for sure but we had talent. Not all teams do. I think some fans can often have lofty expectations but it doesn’t always mean a group is wrong when they complain about a certain OC. His firing from Illinois, and reasons I heard offline, in just a year was confirmation of the things we had happen. He isn’t the worst ever but we could get better for sure. Many of his issues were during the week as well and Illinois dealt with it.

I remember some on here, and 247, gloated that Tony must not be that bad because Illinois hired him but they are quiet now. He didn’t last long just like many of us expected.
I'm not going to defend Petersen in any way, but I think you have to take 2020 for what it was worth. Just like Petersen didn't mesh with our offense, Chase Brice and David Cutliffe (who has a reputation of working well with QB's) did not work last season. Brice mentioned during a podcast that it was a really hard year because there was not a normal amount of practice repetitions leading up to the season and that there was the constant COVID distractions, meeting room protocols, etc.

In our program, add to that three coaching staffs in three years, a revolving door at TE due to injury last season, WR (including no Corey Sutton and an injured Hennigan for half the season) and three different starting RB's last year (Marcus Williams, Harrington, and Peoples) and the year was chaotic.

Hopefully, we keep Ponce next year, because there should be improvement in play calling due of the consistency of having a second year with Brice and the receiving corps (yes, there will be branch new starters, but they have been on the practice field and in meetings together), plus all four running backs are back. Not only does this affect play calling, it also affects the ability to make an adjustment at the line of scrimmage. While it's not college football, the TD that the Chiefs scored in OT this week was not the called play. Travis Kelce communicated to Patrick Mahomes that he was going to run a different pattern and the result was a game winner. Familiarity in an offense can lead to that type of success.

With that said, the numbers that Miami is willing to pay it's OC is nearly 5 times Ponce's current salary (and much more than a typical Sun Belt HC makes). If our assistant coaches are successful, there are always going to be bigger opportunities for them.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:55 am

I don’t think Frank’s role at Miami would be as an OC. They have already hired a WR coach/Co Offensive Coordinator. That person would likely be in charge of the passing game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”