Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ponce Speculation

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Ponce Speculation

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:48 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 am
Do you think that there are coordinators at schools who know what they are doing, put in good game plans and call plays but look down on the field and say to themselves- “god this team stinks, doesn’t have enough talent and can’t execute these plays?” Fans watch their team and often expect a miracle worker to transform the players on the roster into some juggernaut. We bitch and moan because a run play on 3rd and 5 was called instead of a sure fire pass that would have worked. You have to think that a coordinator worth his salt calls a play based on the defense in front of him and fully expects those 11 players to execute. Guess it doesn’t always work out that way and sometimes the stud we think we have isn’t as good as the dude lining up in front of him.
Some coordinators think that for sure but we had talent. Not all teams do. I think some fans can often have lofty expectations but it doesn’t always mean a group is wrong when they complain about a certain OC. His firing from Illinois, and reasons I heard offline, in just a year was confirmation of the things we had happen. He isn’t the worst ever but we could get better for sure. Many of his issues were during the week as well and Illinois dealt with it.

I remember some on here, and 247, gloated that Tony must not be that bad because Illinois hired him but they are quiet now. He didn’t last long just like many of us expected.
I'm not going to defend Petersen in any way, but I think you have to take 2020 for what it was worth. Just like Petersen didn't mesh with our offense, Chase Brice and David Cutliffe (who has a reputation of working well with QB's) did not work last season. Brice mentioned during a podcast that it was a really hard year because there was not a normal amount of practice repetitions leading up to the season and that there was the constant COVID distractions, meeting room protocols, etc.

In our program, add to that three coaching staffs in three years, a revolving door at TE due to injury last season, WR (including no Corey Sutton and an injured Hennigan for half the season) and three different starting RB's last year (Marcus Williams, Harrington, and Peoples) and the year was chaotic.

Hopefully, we keep Ponce next year, because there should be improvement in play calling due of the consistency of having a second year with Brice and the receiving corps (yes, there will be branch new starters, but they have been on the practice field and in meetings together), plus all four running backs are back. Not only does this affect play calling, it also affects the ability to make an adjustment at the line of scrimmage. While it's not college football, the TD that the Chiefs scored in OT this week was not the called play. Travis Kelce communicated to Patrick Mahomes that he was going to run a different pattern and the result was a game winner. Familiarity in an offense can lead to that type of success.

With that said, the numbers that Miami is willing to pay it's OC is nearly 5 times Ponce's current salary (and much more than a typical Sun Belt HC makes). If our assistant coaches are successful, there are always going to be bigger opportunities for them.
My issue with the excuses for 2020 is that some teams did win their league despite the weird year so throw that out. Injuries are fair to bring up and they hurt. Pretty sure our players are glad TP is gone regardless.

I’m with you on Ponce and understand if he leaves. That is a lot of money. I just don’t want to hear the different OCs in different years excuse if he goes. We need a coach who fully believes in our QB as a good OV can win with Burger, if he is good. Hiring an OC who disrupts the continuity of what we want in a QB or who doesn’t like Burger would be a mistake.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 am
WASU 93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Do you think that there are coordinators at schools who know what they are doing, put in good game plans and call plays but look down on the field and say to themselves- “god this team stinks, doesn’t have enough talent and can’t execute these plays?” Fans watch their team and often expect a miracle worker to transform the players on the roster into some juggernaut. We bitch and moan because a run play on 3rd and 5 was called instead of a sure fire pass that would have worked. You have to think that a coordinator worth his salt calls a play based on the defense in front of him and fully expects those 11 players to execute. Guess it doesn’t always work out that way and sometimes the stud we think we have isn’t as good as the dude lining up in front of him.
Some coordinators think that for sure but we had talent. Not all teams do. I think some fans can often have lofty expectations but it doesn’t always mean a group is wrong when they complain about a certain OC. His firing from Illinois, and reasons I heard offline, in just a year was confirmation of the things we had happen. He isn’t the worst ever but we could get better for sure. Many of his issues were during the week as well and Illinois dealt with it.

I remember some on here, and 247, gloated that Tony must not be that bad because Illinois hired him but they are quiet now. He didn’t last long just like many of us expected.
I'm not going to defend Petersen in any way, but I think you have to take 2020 for what it was worth. Just like Petersen didn't mesh with our offense, Chase Brice and David Cutliffe (who has a reputation of working well with QB's) did not work last season. Brice mentioned during a podcast that it was a really hard year because there was not a normal amount of practice repetitions leading up to the season and that there was the constant COVID distractions, meeting room protocols, etc.

In our program, add to that three coaching staffs in three years, a revolving door at TE due to injury last season, WR (including no Corey Sutton and an injured Hennigan for half the season) and three different starting RB's last year (Marcus Williams, Harrington, and Peoples) and the year was chaotic.

Hopefully, we keep Ponce next year, because there should be improvement in play calling due of the consistency of having a second year with Brice and the receiving corps (yes, there will be branch new starters, but they have been on the practice field and in meetings together), plus all four running backs are back. Not only does this affect play calling, it also affects the ability to make an adjustment at the line of scrimmage. While it's not college football, the TD that the Chiefs scored in OT this week was not the called play. Travis Kelce communicated to Patrick Mahomes that he was going to run a different pattern and the result was a game winner. Familiarity in an offense can lead to that type of success.

With that said, the numbers that Miami is willing to pay it's OC is nearly 5 times Ponce's current salary (and much more than a typical Sun Belt HC makes). If our assistant coaches are successful, there are always going to be bigger opportunities for them.
My issue with the excuses for 2020 is that some teams did win their league despite the weird year so throw that out. Injuries are fair to bring up and they hurt. Pretty sure our players are glad TP is gone regardless.

I’m with you on Ponce and understand if he leaves. That is a lot of money. I just don’t want to hear the different OCs in different years excuse if he goes. We need a coach who fully believes in our QB as a good OV can win with Burger, if he is good. Hiring an OC who disrupts the continuity of what we want in a QB or who doesn’t like Burger would be a mistake.

Well, SOME team ALWAYS wins their division. That's how the system is set up. Yes, some teams did better than others. There's a difference in "excuses" and analysis though. Some folks seem to want to boil things down to a single reason and that is rarely the case. 2020 was a total crap cocktail. Everyone had similar ingredients but not in the same proportions. It was disappointing regardless of what the reasons are that you believe contributed. I haven't heard a single person who said we did the best that we could have done.

I agree that we need an OC who doesn't disrupt what we have developing. I hope that it is Ponce, but if not, I'll trust Clark to find someone who fits.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 am

I hope Frank stays but I am sure Shawn is ready to make some calls if he leaves.Who would you suggest?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 pm

You guys can spin in any direction that you want. You want to lay the disappointment of 2020 solely at the feet of the departed, cool. I do find it interesting that the frustrations of 2020 haven’t been heaped on FP in the same manner for 2021. Fewer yards per game, lowest 3rd down % in years. I get that TP was not a cultural fit. I get that players were frustrated. Yada yada. But in the win or go home world of arm chair QBs, this year wasn’t any better than 2020. Yes, we made it to the CCG, where we lost to the same opponent twice. Before this spins out of control, I’m not bashing Ponce for the season. After all, he had to play with a QB that wasn’t ideal for his system. Or is that considered a valid “excuse”?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:33 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 pm
I get that TP was not a cultural fit. I get that players were frustrated. Yada yada.
If you don't think running players away from the game isn't a big issue, that is on you. There are at least 3 all-conference players that chose to not come back because of Petersen. Additionally, this wasn't Petersen's first rodeo.

Ponce, while he is a genius in game planning, was a rookie play caller. Petersen was not.

Petersen single handily ruined the game for several players. Ponce did the exact opposite. That is as big, if not bigger, than calling the Xs and Os.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:42 pm

I think it’s telling that Illinois already ran TP off and that their fans rejoiced at his departure.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
You guys can spin in any direction that you want. You want to lay the disappointment of 2020 solely at the feet of the departed, cool. I do find it interesting that the frustrations of 2020 haven’t been heaped on FP in the same manner for 2021. Fewer yards per game, lowest 3rd down % in years. I get that TP was not a cultural fit. I get that players were frustrated. Yada yada. But in the win or go home world of arm chair QBs, this year wasn’t any better than 2020. Yes, we made it to the CCG, where we lost to the same opponent twice. Before this spins out of control, I’m not bashing Ponce for the season. After all, he had to play with a QB that wasn’t ideal for his system. Or is that considered a valid “excuse”?
I can only speak for myself, but I was every bit as frustrated in 2021 as I was in 2020 with the seeming lack of offensive fluidity. The difference, for me, is twofold. First, Ponce was a first-time playcaller and Peterson was a veteran. Second, and most important for me, is that I haven't heard of any players having issues with Ponce. That was not the case with Peterson.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:01 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:33 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I get that TP was not a cultural fit. I get that players were frustrated. Yada yada.
If you don't think running players away from the game isn't a big issue, that is on you. There are at least 3 all-conference players that chose to not come back because of Petersen. Additionally, this wasn't Petersen's first rodeo.

Ponce, while he is a genius in game planning, was a rookie play caller. Petersen was not.

Petersen single handily ruined the game for several players. Ponce did the exact opposite. That is as big, if not bigger, than calling the Xs and Os.
I get your point and I respect your opinion, as you have a unique vantage point of the game. My point is that no one would be complaining about him if we had won those games last year. There aren’t many on this board that care about problems behind the curtain if we are winning. And as I am sure that you have more contact with people inside the program than I, I can appreciate the feedback that you have gotten. I can say however, that not everyone within the program shares you sentiments.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:01 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I get your point and I respect your opinion, as you have a unique vantage point of the game. My point is that no one would be complaining about him if we had won those games last year. There aren’t many on this board that care about problems behind the curtain if we are winning. And as I am sure that you have more contact with people inside the program than I, I can appreciate the feedback that you have gotten. I can say however, that not everyone within the program shares you sentiments.
Ponce certainly isn't perfect. There are things "behind the curtain" that some are unhappy about with him. The difference is two fold -- Ponce is willing to listen and make changes based on feedback.

The second part of the fold is the most important part -- not once did a player have to meet with Clark and say "I am not playing another game for Ponce." That was a daily occurrence under Petersen.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:20 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Well, SOME team ALWAYS wins their division. That's how the system is set up. Yes, some teams did better than others. There's a difference in "excuses" and analysis though. Some folks seem to want to boil things down to a single reason and that is rarely the case. 2020 was a total crap cocktail. Everyone had similar ingredients but not in the same proportions. It was disappointing regardless of what the reasons are that you believe contributed. I haven't heard a single person who said we did the best that we could have done.

I agree that we need an OC who doesn't disrupt what we have developing. I hope that it is Ponce, but if not, I'll trust Clark to find someone who fits.
Yes someone had to and even though we had the talent they failed to get it done. There were a lot of reasons and I’m pretty sure people are glad he moved on. I felt like pressure was on because I saw 2020 as a title year but expected to take step back to UL in 2021 and we lose a lot this year so I don’t expect more than 10 wins this year. I just hope we finish with more than 8.

Definitely has to fit. If we take an OC who has a very different blueprint for what they want then it just sets us back.

I am a little frustrated at things I saw with Ponce but I think he is less stubborn than TP and he was in first year. I also wanted to give him a chance to grow because I saw what he did with Zac. I will be very frustrated if in 2023 we don’t see a solid QB he developed and if we don’t see some improvement with Brice this year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:25 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Ponce was in first year where as TP was suppose to be this big hire who had experience.

Not having a QB ideal for his system is actually a bad reason. I say that because he took the job knowing what we have. A good coach should adjust. I don’t hear that excuse for new OCs at Alabama or anywhere else. Just because you didn’t pick a guy doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to get a lot or do him. If Brice is such a bad fit then don’t take the job or go get another QB. We can do what Clark wants with Brice. I don’t think Brice is great but he is a solid QB who can make the throws and pick up yards when we need it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:27 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

So true here! TP was suppose to be this veteran and he definitely did not look like a savvy veteran playcaller. There is a reason a guy with his experience just had to take a huge step down a couple levels.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

If we have major issues regardless of winning then I care and want to know. I know many of us were not happy with some of what Cobb had going on even though we were growing and won those titles. If Ponce was doing stuff he shouldn’t but winning I hope we don’t overlook it. We can win the right way and treat people right while doing it. It’s like Iron Mike got results but nobody wants him back regardless of those results.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:32 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:15 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Ponce certainly isn't perfect. There are things "behind the curtain" that some are unhappy about with him. The difference is two fold -- Ponce is willing to listen and make changes based on feedback.

The second part of the fold is the most important part -- not once did a player have to meet with Clark and say "I am not playing another game for Ponce." That was a daily occurrence under Petersen.
That is sad it happened. I’m sure some liked Tony but the majority didn’t. I had talked with one of our star players this year after a game and he mentioned how he liked Ponce way more than previous OC. Could tell there was some frustration with it for sure.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:08 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Question(s). If players were in with Clark on a daily occurrence, as you suggest, stating that they weren’t playing another game for Peterson. 1) why didn’t Clark make a move sooner? 2) why did they keep showing up and performing? and 3) why didn’t Clark bench them?

Look, I get that players want to feel heard. But telling your coach that you aren’t going to play for the guy anymore is borderline, “inmates running the asylum.”

Last post on this because it a pointless argument. I get that this is Frank’s 1st year calling the plays. But c’mon. He has lived and breathed this offense for too many years to not have gleaned from Satt how to call a game. He has pretty much been on the headset with Satt to understand what needs to be called.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:09 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

I haven't researched it, but was there more success from teams in 2020 that had more stability? For instance, Napier and Levi Lewis did not have the changes that App had. Again, not making excuses (I'd rather have Ponce), but sometimes we as fans tend to view all situations as equal.

MtnMan14

Unread post by MtnMan14 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:15 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:08 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Question(s). If players were in with Clark on a daily occurrence, as you suggest, stating that they weren’t playing another game for Peterson. 1) why didn’t Clark make a move sooner? 2) why did they keep showing up and performing? and 3) why didn’t Clark bench them?

Look, I get that players want to feel heard. But telling your coach that you aren’t going to play for the guy anymore is borderline, “inmates running the asylum.”

Last post on this because it a pointless argument. I get that this is Frank’s 1st year calling the plays. But c’mon. He has lived and breathed this offense for too many years to not have gleaned from Satt how to call a game. He has pretty much been on the headset with Satt to understand what needs to be called.
I don’t post here a ton, but man I’m glad you’re not my supervisor. Anyone who is a professional in any career knows that sitting in a meetings and learning and working behind the scenes is entirely different than being promoted and being the guy calling the shots. Everyone grows into a new position and there is always a learning curve no matter the level of exposure. You’re always going to encounter things as the shot caller that you might not have anticipated or even realized were possibilities as the guy observing. I know that nobody will ever be good enough for the unrealistic folks on this board, but for a first year guy he did a hell of a job. And on top of that, he took responsibility for his shortcomings and I’m sure is doing whatever he can this off-season to progress and be better.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:00 pm

MtnMan14 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:15 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

I don’t post here a ton, but man I’m glad you’re not my supervisor. Anyone who is a professional in any career knows that sitting in a meetings and learning and working behind the scenes is entirely different than being promoted and being the guy calling the shots. Everyone grows into a new position and there is always a learning curve no matter the level of exposure. You’re always going to encounter things as the shot caller that you might not have anticipated or even realized were possibilities as the guy observing. I know that nobody will ever be good enough for the unrealistic folks on this board, but for a first year guy he did a hell of a job. And on top of that, he took responsibility for his shortcomings and I’m sure is doing whatever he can this off-season to progress and be better.
I have no issues with Ponce and yes I understand that there are learning curves as a play caller. I wasn’t insinuating that he should have been better than he was because he knows the offense. My point is that his learning curve, while understandable, the guy that he replaced was asked to come in and learn an offense that he had no experience in. So to me, it seems a bit heavy handed to ask a guy to come in and be proficient at play calling with an offense that he has never run, just because he has experience as a play caller. Just trying to understand the difference.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:24 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:00 pm
MtnMan14 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:15 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I have no issues with Ponce and yes I understand that there are learning curves as a play caller. I wasn’t insinuating that he should have been better than he was because he knows the offense. My point is that his learning curve, while understandable, the guy that he replaced was asked to come in and learn an offense that he had no experience in. So to me, it seems a bit heavy handed to ask a guy to come in and be proficient at play calling with an offense that he has never run, just because he has experience as a play caller. Just trying to understand the difference.
Clark had to make several players step back from the ledge several times. Daily is obviously an exaggeration, but it happened way more often than it should.

The players kept showing up and performing because of Clark. Clark was the glue. It was nothing like inmates running the asylum. It was players knowing they can have a heartfelt conversation with their head coach and let him know how the team feels. It was trust in Clark.

Sure, he has lived and breathed this offense for too many years -- all with a QB that is dual threat. Brice isn't a dual threat (but he can be and we will see that if Ponce stays).

While true it seems to be heavy handed on Petersen. I don't disagree there. The problem with Petersen is in the interview process he was all on board with learning our offense. He never did. As a coach with as much experience as him, it shouldn't take until the 5th game (with an entire preseason as well) in the season to learn the basic verbiage.

Bottom line -- both OCs struggled a bit. One of them ruined players' confidence, made them hate the game of football, could not take any feedback, did not listen to players, had a giant ego, and ran the players away. The other has a QB room that loves him (other rooms may be not as much), instills confidence, actually teaches the game to the players, makes it fun, and is constantly critiquing himself to get better.
tAPPedInSports.net

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 pm

So is he leaving or staying ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”