Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Clark: "We can't live in the transfer portal"

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Clark: "We can't live in the transfer portal"

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am

huskie3 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:32 am
Is App’s problem with accepting credits the accreditation of the transferring school or the grades of the transferring student?
The credits.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:49 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am
huskie3 wrote:
Is App’s problem with accepting credits the accreditation of the transferring school or the grades of the transferring student?
The credits.
The late reaction here is what gets me. We have had transfers before so I would have thought the admissions office, Gillin, and Clark would have immediately decided to change the credit problem when the portal started. It sounds like we waited 3 cycles before adjusting and it cost us. People will say the portal is new but that’s not a good reason because schools have had transfers before. This is just at a higher rate but not the first time we have had them.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:53 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:00 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:57 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:44 am
Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 am
I hope the "App State Way" also includes some of the Marine Corps slogan "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome". The college landscape has changed. With the COVID years and the changes regarding transfers we need a plan of how to utilize. Look, I'm not for shopping every year, and we should be good at developing talent, but we do need to learn how to be able to pick and choose to fill specific needs each year.
As it has been stated numerous times, the coaches are doing this. The issue is that the current transfer policy around credits creates a situation where they are working with one hand tied behind their back. No disrespect to Lawson or Clarke, but if App had an easier path for transfers, then those guys aren’t playing and our record might look different.
Yes it has been stated several times, and I include that particular challenge as part of what we have to adapt and overcome....
I guess my statement is missing that it isn’t something that we can easily overcome without the efforts of the academic side of App.
Yes sir, my statement was intentionally broad and was aimed at all entities even beyond football. I think we are probably stating the same thing.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:09 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:49 am
AppSt94 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
The credits.
The late reaction here is what gets me. We have had transfers before so I would have thought the admissions office, Gillin, and Clark would have immediately decided to change the credit problem when the portal started. It sounds like we waited 3 cycles before adjusting and it cost us. People will say the portal is new but that’s not a good reason because schools have had transfers before. This is just at a higher rate but not the first time we have had them.
I think the issue comes more into play with guys that have taken classes towards majors and not the general education classes that are taken in years 1 & 2. And for those with year 3 coursework, it may be that the grade in a certain class may not be high enough to transfer. I’ve been out of it for awhile, I remember that Carolina wouldn’t take classes that weren’t passed with less than a 3.0. Grad transfers don’t have to worry about it because they rent looking to transfer credits.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:07 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:09 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
The credits.
I think the issue comes more into play with guys that have taken classes towards majors and not the general education classes that are taken in years 1 & 2. And for those with year 3 coursework, it may be that the grade in a certain class may not be high enough to transfer. I’ve been out of it for awhile, I remember that Carolina wouldn’t take classes that weren’t passed with less than a 3.0. Grad transfers don’t have to worry about it because they rent looking to transfer credits.
That's how I understood it too, but my information isn't from within the athletic program. Also, I don't think this is a "Clark / Gillan" issue. It is on the academic side and it is throughout the UNC system. I don't know if there is a system rule or if it is individual institutions with parallel rules, but it's not an athletics decision.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:13 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
The credits.
I get that but I thought we would have encountered this at some point or just knew the academic transfer requirements from day one of the portal and fixed it then. I’m wondering why it took them 3 years to make this change instead of year one of the portal?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:36 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:13 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
The credits.
I get that but I thought we would have encountered this at some point or just knew the academic transfer requirements from day one of the portal and fixed it then. I’m wondering why it took them 3 years to make this change instead of year one of the portal?
The short, sarcastic answer is “losing” spawned the attention.

I guess it wasn’t an issue much in the past because how often have we taken a guy far enough along in his academic career that it was an issue. I’m sure guys have transferred in before and lost a few hours, but we have older guys losing 24 + hours of credit.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:36 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The credits.

I guess it wasn’t an issue much in the past because how often have we taken a guy far enough along in his academic career that it was an issue. I’m sure guys have transferred in before and lost a few hours, but we have older guys losing 24 + hours of credit.
I figured that’s it and thank you for admitting this truth. That is how you lose by waiting until you lose to fix the issues that you should have seen coming. If they had fixed this in year one, which I assumed until I heard the issue on 247 this year, then the problem doesn’t come up. Our admin needs to be more proactive on these issues instead of reacting 3 years later. Hopefully it is now fixed and won’t affect us in this cycle.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:45 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I figured that’s it and thank you for admitting this truth. That is how you lose by waiting until you lose to fix the issues that you should have seen coming. If they had fixed this in year one, which I assumed until I heard the issue on 247 this year, then the problem doesn’t come up. Our admin needs to be more proactive on these issues instead of reacting 3 years later. Hopefully it is now fixed and won’t affect us in this cycle.
Really asking, not being smart. What makes you think it’s fixed?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:46 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

That's assuming it was issue before it was. Prior to the portal, we had very few junior or senior types transferring in and it wasn't an issue with JUCOs. Moreover, it's not something that the HC or AD can change. They could have been advocating for this before now and it fell on deaf ears or there was recalcitrance in admissions. It's easy to criticize what we don't know.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The credits.

It's almost like a lack of recruiting 2 cycles ago is catching up... Can someone please tell me who was responsible for that class?
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:25 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

It's almost like a lack of recruiting 2 cycles ago is catching up... Can someone please tell me who was responsible for that class?
To me, the most glaring issue in recruiting was CB. We have 1 guy that was recruited between 2018 and 2021 that is left on the roster. So I can conceivably lay that one on two previous head coaches. Let’s not forget that the current guy wanted McCall. His former boss went with a guy that isn’t playing anywhere now.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Was 2020 a Clark or Drink recruited class? Not sure if it was a lack of recruiting but the 2020 cycle was good on paper. Issue is, half those kids transferred and aren't on campus any more. 4 of the top 6 guys are gone. Not sure if they bailed because of the coaching change or if it just wasn't a fit for them.

shoot even 2019 class. 4 of the top 5 guys transferred out. Feel like we don't usually have this much attrition

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:46 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Was 2020 a Clark or Drink recruited class? Not sure if it was a lack of recruiting but the 2020 cycle was good on paper. Issue is, half those kids transferred and aren't on campus any more. 4 of the top 6 guys are gone. Not sure if they bailed because of the coaching change or if it just wasn't a fit for them.
Drink was the primary recruiter for a year, Clark signed them. Drink didn't care about fit. He only cared about rankings (hence DBG over McCall). That is why most of the top guys left.
tAPPedInSports.net

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:55 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:46 pm
311neers wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Drink was the primary recruiter for a year, Clark signed them. Drink didn't care about fit. He only cared about rankings (hence DBG over McCall). That is why most of the top guys left.
Clarks stability is key then after Drink toyed with us and didnt care about the kids. Have to retain the 2021 and 2022 class and give them a chance to produce. Excited to see the young guys finish out this year and into next!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:01 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:55 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:46 pm
311neers wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Clarks stability is key then after Drink toyed with us and didnt care about the kids. Have to retain the 2021 and 2022 class and give them a chance to produce. Excited to see the young guys finish out this year and into next!
We do have some studs waiting in the wings. The melt down of our fan base on social media doesn't help though. Players don't like seeing the fans love them only when they win.
tAPPedInSports.net

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:08 pm

Please correct me if i'm wrong. Since everyone had COVID "years" tacked on, because you had 5 and 6 years guys playing - seeing the lack of depth wouldn't be as glaring to us fans. Then some transfer out/some grade problems/ some transfer that committed then de-commit late and BOOM there's a problem. This may take a recruiting cycle or 2 to workout lack of depth/talent

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:02 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:45 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

People on 247 saying we are aware and getting it fixed now but your question is why I said hopefully it is this cycle. I don’t know for sure.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:02 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:45 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

People on 247 saying we are aware and getting it fixed now but your question is why I said hopefully it is this cycle. I don’t know for sure.
It's still a work in progress. It's not fixed yet. It's on Everts plate.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:09 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:46 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

That's assuming it was issue before it was. Prior to the portal, we had very few junior or senior types transferring in and it wasn't an issue with JUCOs. Moreover, it's not something that the HC or AD can change. They could have been advocating for this before now and it fell on deaf ears or there was recalcitrance in admissions. It's easy to criticize what we don't know.
I would suspect our admin office and compliance knew we wouldn’t take but so many hours from transfers because this isn’t a new policy. Maybe this past year was first time it prevented us from getting a player we really wanted. Supposedly it’s known and being fixed so it should not be an issue anymore. We will find out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”