Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The End of Miller Hill?

Bootsy
School: Appalachian State

Re: The End of Miller Hill?

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:55 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:52 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:19 am
1. I don't see the point. UVA, Wake, Clemson (Although only partial) make their hills work for them, why can't we? If they were going to bring the seats closer to the field I could understand, but to just put it on the hill, I don't get it.

2. I hope it's done well, and not just thrown together and look sloppy.

3. Will this allow Cline a better view of Howard's knob?
Howard's Knob? Who gives a big sh!t about Howard's knob? All I know is every time there is a game on TV, the announcers start off gabbing about what a beautiful town and area. I'm sure they aren't talking about our concrete and aluminum stadium. But thanks for the snark? Couldn't help your self could you?

But I do like your queries s about the schools' stadiums you mentioned.
A fairly consistent opening shot for every televised game is Howard(s) Knob and the skyline view from the stadium.
So I suppose ESPN cares about Howard's Knob. And they write big checks. And a lot of us alums like seeing it too.

Also, just to let you in on a little secret...many stadiums are built of concrete and aluminum. And steel and bricks and other stuff. And nobody cares either way.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:19 pm

Some of you are starting to soun d like Roachel Laney…Mr no progress or change himself. With the backdrop of Howard’s Knob and the mountain behind Miller Hill is enough. Miller Hill needs to become Miller end zone seating

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:50 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:19 pm
Some of you are starting to soun d like Roachel Laney…Mr no progress or change himself. With the backdrop of Howard’s Knob and the mountain behind Miller Hill is enough. Miller Hill needs to become Miller end zone seating

Yep. Give up a thousand or so fans. The students don't sit down. There have been many threads one here of members of this forum bitching because the people behind them keep telling them to sit down so they cans see without having to stand up. Stood on the hill for many a game standing up and didn't bother me or the people around me. Concerts are often staged these days without people sitting down. SRO.. But, hey we need mo concrete and 'luminum to make us look big time.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:55 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:50 pm
Rekdiver wrote:

Yep. Give up a thousand or so fans. The students don't sit down. There have been many threads one here of members of this forum bitching because the people behind them keep telling them to sit down so they cans see without having to stand up. Stood on the hill for many a game standing up and didn't bother me or the people around me. Concerts are often staged these days without people sitting down. SRO.. But, hey we need mo concrete and 'luminum to make us look big time.
You know, there was a time when I was thinking of donating tickets for you and your son to take in a game. Now I think that I am going to win the lottery and fund the endzone concrete and aluminum and have it named in your honor just to get under your skin.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:55 pm
NewApp wrote:
1. I don't see the point. UVA, Wake, Clemson (Although only partial) make their hills work for them, why can't we? If they were going to bring the seats closer to the field I could understand, but to just put it on the hill, I don't get it.

Howard's Knob? Who gives a big sh!t about Howard's knob? All I know is every time there is a game on TV, the announcers start off gabbing about what a beautiful town and area. I'm sure they aren't talking about our concrete and aluminum stadium. But thanks for the snark? Couldn't help your self could you?

A fairly consistent opening shot for every televised game is Howard(s) Knob and the skyline view from the stadium.
So I suppose ESPN cares about Howard's Knob. And they write big checks. And a lot of us alums like seeing it too.

Also, just to let you in on a little secret...many stadiums are built of concrete and aluminum. And steel and bricks and other stuff. And nobody cares either way.
As long as no one is suggesting making the stadium of straw and sticks.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:20 pm

Idea 1: Bring back soccer, fund full track team, give more dollars to baseball. (Need funding to do so)
Idea 2: Complaining about ideas Athletic Dept has about increasing revenue (i.e. transforming MH to generate more revenue). The AD should know what is best as they live the financial capabilities of the department 24/7.

If you complain about idea 1 and then turnaround and complain about idea 2...your talking from both sides of your mouth so to speak.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:23 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Ouch !!! That's a loooooow blow Mister.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:57 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:23 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Some, unfortunately, still long for those days. They could pull up for a noon or 1 pm kick about 15 minutes before the start of the game, park in Raley lot and buy a ticket on the 35 for $15 and be one of 12 thousand in attendance. They miss that.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:52 am

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:57 am
Stonewall wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Some, unfortunately, still long for those days. They could pull up for a noon or 1 pm kick about 15 minutes before the start of the game, park in Raley lot and buy a ticket on the 35 for $15 and be one of 12 thousand in attendance. They miss that.
100%. IF people want to continue to build APP ST programs it takes $$$$$$$$$$$$. If they can't see the bigger picture than everything that has been built so far will be for nothing. You either continue to push forward or eventually you go backwards. The same people complaining about how everything is getting more expensive/keep things the same will be the same people that complain when things go sour if the athletic programs begins to get worse.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:01 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:52 am
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:57 am
Stonewall wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
100%. IF people want to continue to build APP ST programs it takes $$$$$$$$$$$$. If they can't see the bigger picture than everything that has been built so far will be for nothing. You either continue to push forward or eventually you go backwards. The same people complaining about how everything is getting more expensive/keep things the same will be the same people that complain when things go sour if the athletic programs begins to get worse.
Truth. I posted about this in the "UNCC" thread.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 am

The starting point is MONEY! In order to do the things that need to be done ( to stay competitive) we need money. Right now we don’t have enough! Somehow we need to raise more money and we need to start NOW because I suspect we have already slipped some.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:36 am

pop5app wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 am
The starting point is MONEY! In order to do the things that need to be done ( to stay competitive) we need money. Right now we don’t have enough! Somehow we need to raise more money and we need to start NOW because I suspect we have already slipped some.
100%. Ryan Day, the HC at THE Ohio State told a group of business people that OSU needs an additional $13 million in NIL money to be competitive.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:18 am

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:27 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:42 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:22 am
The good thing is none of this is actually happening (or is planned right now). This whole conversation started over temporary SEZ bleachers being brought in for the UNC game that may or may not be left in place for the season.

It was hinted and theorized that this could be a dry run feasibility test for future permanent SEZ seats.

Given our future schedules, it’d be impossible (and unnecessary) to plan and build permanent seating by ECU 9/16/23. The next “need” for permanent seats likely wouldn’t be until 2025 when we currently only have 1 OOC home game scheduled vs Toledo. If a big opponent is scheduled in ‘25 you might see a push to finish construction by then.

My opinion: just as temporary seats in the NEZ begat a new NEZ facility, temporary seats in the SEZ will be seen as an opportunity to up charge for a permanent seat later (compared to GA tickets) - AND - fans who get a chance to sit in a temporary SEZ seat will really enjoy the experience of being closer to the field, at which point the call from fans to install permanent seats will increase. I sat in the NEZ temporary bleachers a few times and really liked it. I like moving around the stadium and seeing it from all different perspectives.
There are far more than 5,000 students going to the games. They are the ones paying most of the bills. They should have seats.

We can call KBS a 30k stadium all we want but it doesn't have anywhere close to 30,000 seats.
Well, try to get 5K seats on Miller Hill without taking in the concourse or going two bleacher sets high and relocating the Media Board. Maybe it can be done, but I don't see how. As to seats. Students in the present student section, don't sit down anyway. They stand butt to butt,shoulder to shoulder the entire game every time I've sat above them.
Where did you get 5,000 seats from? No one said 5k and there is no way that there are 5k there on any given Saturday. The talk was to put 3000 there and it is completely doable. The playing field is 53 yds wide. Add say 20 yards to each side and you have 279’ of space. Each seat is 18” wide so that’s 186 people per row. So to accommodate 3k, you need 16.12 rows. Let’s call it 17. So if you put in two sets of 10 rows, you can get 3720 people inside a 40 ft wide section across the length of the hill. There is your visual. You’re welcome.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am
NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:11 am
If it looks Bush league why did we go to the effort and expense of creating the ASU (or whatever) shrubbery on the hill? Fans and TV like our stadium because of the mountain setting and the grassy hill help to reinforce that in my opinion. More concrete and aluminum may just make us look like an urban wannabee. That's just my opinion and I realize I'm in the minority. FWIW, I favor progress, but don't feel it has to be just by adding more concrete and aluminum to the equation. Bowling it in as some want will make our little 30K stadium look like a big time wannabe.
The shrubbery on the hill was graciously donated, installed, and maintained by a member of this board. No expense was incurred for this by the school.
And it's not on Miller Hill.
WE ARE YOSEF!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:22 am

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
If it looks Bush league why did we go to the effort and expense of creating the ASU (or whatever) shrubbery on the hill? Fans and TV like our stadium because of the mountain setting and the grassy hill help to reinforce that in my opinion. More concrete and aluminum may just make us look like an urban wannabee. That's just my opinion and I realize I'm in the minority. FWIW, I favor progress, but don't feel it has to be just by adding more concrete and aluminum to the equation. Bowling it in as some want will make our little 30K stadium look like a big time wannabe.
The shrubbery on the hill was graciously donated, installed, and maintained by a member of this board. No expense was incurred for this by the school.
On top of Miller Hill.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:31 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 pm
Bootsy wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Then again does that even matter if NCSU will not schedule a home and home.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:34 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:22 am
goapps93 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
On top of Miller Hill.
No, it's not. It's across the walkway from Miller Hill. I don't think I've ever seen anyone sit up there, if it's even allowed. Regardless, the shrubbery would not be affected by seats on Miller Hill.
WE ARE YOSEF!

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:21 pm

My source says there WILL be temp.seats at the base of Miller hill for the tarhole game.How many,don't know.Had a chance not long ago to see the new locker room and other floors of new end zone building.Barber shop and Chiro. facility along with names and pictures of players over the lockers.Mine and my wife's sore feet love the new turf and padding.Complete training center!Need a new field house to match.Turf shot and needs to be bigger.Roof supports rusting.Don't know where to put it though.Players outlook very good.If we don't get destroyed by the Aggies we could have a GREAT season.GO APPS!!! :D

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:41 pm

Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:31 am
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:16 pm
Bootsy wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Then again does that even matter if NCSU will not schedule a home and home.
Yabbut what about Arkansas State?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:52 pm

An unpopular opinion for some, but seats on the hill, if done right can make a huge impact on Gameday. Put the band on the hill, allow students to spread out behind the bench the length of the stands and the stadium gets even louder.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”