Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article about Marshall's admiration of APP Football

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Article about Marshall's admiration of APP Football

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:53 pm

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Re: Article about Marshall's admiration of APP Football

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 pm

Warning to those that it bothers....They do use "Appy State" in the article.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:45 pm

That will be corrected once they start the SunBelt gauntlet ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:53 pm

The use of that term just demonstrates how far back the rivalry goes between these schools. Back then, it upset many App fans, now I doubt it has that effect with the exception of the old guard who it offended back in the day. I enrolled in 1988 and have never had an issue with "Appy State", "Happy Appy" or any other version of the term "Appy". It just doesn't bother me despite being told that it should by countless older alums. To each his own I guess but I could care less if an old journalist uses an old colloquialism for our school. I care a lot more if they beat us like they did 2 years ago. So glad they are back in the same conference, I love to hate the Blundering Terds.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:06 pm

The formatting of their website looks like something a toddler would arrange.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:47 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:53 pm
The use of that term just demonstrates how far back the rivalry goes between these schools. Back then, it upset many App fans, now I doubt it has that effect with the exception of the old guard who it offended back in the day. I enrolled in 1988 and have never had an issue with "Appy State", "Happy Appy" or any other version of the term "Appy". It just doesn't bother me despite being told that it should by countless older alums. To each his own I guess but I could care less if an old journalist uses an old colloquialism for our school. I care a lot more if they beat us like they did 2 years ago. So glad they are back in the same conference, I love to hate the Blundering Terds.
Doesn't bother me either, but know some on here seeing or hearing that is like nails on a chalkboard for them. Randy Moss could say it every day on NFL count down and I'd be happy.

Captain Morgan

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:58 pm

as an old guy who doesn't care at all if we are called Appy, I really like their new coach saying this to their fans. Marshall will always be our big rival to me, and I'm glad they're in the Sun Belt.

One of my best friends went to Marshall, and she has really lost interest since they moved into what is now the G5. I love how App moved into the G5 with incredible success, especially our record in bowls once we were eligible.

Their coach may be new, but he knows how to touch a nerve with their fanbase, and nothing will motivate them like App getting one up on them.

It's a hell of a compliment to our program.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 pm

Great separate topic for discussion- what App State names or mispronunciations do you hate the most? I remember being called Tweetsie Tech many years ago. Hated it but now that I look back that was kind of witty. None of it really bothers me anymore. I'll admit I think I hate the Michigan game references the most. The game will have been 15 years ago this season and I'm sure it will be mentioned during either the UNC or A&M games

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:58 pm
as an old guy who doesn't care at all if we are called Appy, I really like their new coach saying this to their fans. Marshall will always be our big rival to me, and I'm glad they're in the Sun Belt.

One of my best friends went to Marshall, and she has really lost interest since they moved into what is now the G5. I love how App moved into the G5 with incredible success, especially our record in bowls once we were eligible.

Their coach may be new, but he knows how to touch a nerve with their fanbase, and nothing will motivate them like App getting one up on them.

I agree Marshall rival holds more to me than the Gnats ever did.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:08 am

You know that statement had to get under the skin of all Marshall fans. He did not do it by accident. He knew they would be infuriated. Many of their fans thought we were beneath them because they moved up to FBS way before us and enjoyed a lot of success while we were still in FCS land. What do you tell your players and fans to get them juiced? That your biggest enemy is your Daddy. That pisses them off and will get the hair on the back of their neck rising quicker than anything.

I really look forward to the rivalry being renewed. This is a real rivalry that predates anything we currently have and it was real, not a WCU jug that we dominated. For any newbies, this was everything you got from Georgia Southern and maybe more because it went back further in time. It is good for our program because these types of rivalries just push you to the be better. Just to make sure everyone knows, this will be a TOUGH rivalry but it will make us better.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:18 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 pm
Captain Morgan wrote:

The teams you think of as rivalries are mainly based on your experiences. Most people who went to Appalachian see schools as their rivals as who were their rivals when they were in school. Believe it or not, Lenoir Rhyne was at one time, Appalachian's biggest rivalry.

Marshall stopped being a rival when they left the Southern Conference and Furman stopped being App's rival when App left the Sunbelt. Western Carolina stopped being a rival when they stopped being competitive in football. James Madison is a different animal all together, which will be out for blood.

My nephew is at App now and he cannot stand Coastal Carolina. (Coastal Carolina was not seen as a rival by App until they beat App and stole all of Appalachian's glory it has worked do hare to achieve.)

Marshall on the other hand is an instant rival, because of the past history and the fact they beat App and App beat them in the past two years. It will be a sad day when JMU beats App as well. JMU is Black Saturday for a reason.

Next season('23) with Marshall, Georgia Southern, and Coastal home games, which one will be Black Saturday?

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 am

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:18 am
mountaineerman wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 pm
Captain Morgan wrote:

The teams you think of as rivalries are mainly based on your experiences. Most people who went to Appalachian see schools as their rivals as who were their rivals when they were in school. Believe it or not, Lenoir Rhyne was at one time, Appalachian's biggest rivalry.

Marshall stopped being a rival when they left the Southern Conference and Furman stopped being App's rival when App left the Sunbelt. Western Carolina stopped being a rival when they stopped being competitive in football. James Madison is a different animal all together, which will be out for blood.

My nephew is at App now and he cannot stand Coastal Carolina. (Coastal Carolina was not seen as a rival by App until they beat App and stole all of Appalachian's glory it has worked do hare to achieve.)

Marshall on the other hand is an instant rival, because of the past history and the fact they beat App and App beat them in the past two years. It will be a sad day when JMU beats App as well. JMU is Black Saturday for a reason.

Next season('23) with Marshall, Georgia Southern, and Coastal home games, which one will be Black Saturday?
Every game should be Black Saturday in my book.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:29 am

This used to bother me. Now that people are using “N€£r$”, not so much.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:08 am
You know that statement had to get under the skin of all Marshall fans. He did not do it by accident. He knew they would be infuriated. Many of their fans thought we were beneath them because they moved up to FBS way before us and enjoyed a lot of success while we were still in FCS land. What do you tell your players and fans to get them juiced? That your biggest enemy is your Daddy. That pisses them off and will get the hair on the back of their neck rising quicker than anything.

I really look forward to the rivalry being renewed. This is a real rivalry that predates anything we currently have and it was real, not a WCU jug that we dominated. For any newbies, this was everything you got from Georgia Southern and maybe more because it went back further in time. It is good for our program because these types of rivalries just push you to the be better. Just to make sure everyone knows, this will be a TOUGH rivalry but it will make us better.
Marshall and Appalachian have only played 24 times http://www.winsipedia.com/marshall/vs/appalachian-state
Georgia Southern and Appalachian have played 36 times http://www.winsipedia.com/georgia-south ... hian-state

Appalachian has played 50% more games against Georgia Southern than it has against Marshall.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:46 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:29 am
This used to bother me. Now that people are using “N€£r$”, not so much.
"Go Neers" bothers me, because it is just silly. "Go App" is much better, even "Go Apps" does not bother me.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:51 am

"Appy" is annoying, bottom line.

"Tweetsie U/Tech" doesn't bother much, especially since we use the Tweetsie horn for touchdowns.

"Neers" is OK."Roll Neers" is awful and should be cast into the fire. My reasoning is that if Auburn had won 6 national titles in the last 12 years, it would be "War Damn Neers" instead.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 am

JMU gave us Armanti Edwards. That's about the only positive thing I have to say about them from a sports view.

One could argue the way in which they've been able to fund their campus expansion and enhancements are questionable, but being from this area of Virginia and seeing it grow over the years is pretty impressive. Not suggesting that what Appalachian State University also hasn't been impressive.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 am

We are likely listed first or second rival for every SBC east team outside of ODU.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 am
We are likely listed first or second rival for every SBC east team outside of ODU.
I would bet ODU folks list us 1 or 2 because we embarrassed them during their FBS debut seasons (yr 2-3). They thought they were ready for FBS and technically got the invite before we did. We went to their house and totally demolished them 49-zip in front of their home crowd. They thought they were ahead of us in the move up game. We proved we were the real deal and they still had a long way to go. It was demoralizing to them. They returned to our house and we still manhandled them 31-7. They want what we have so that puts us near the top of their wish list.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:48 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 am
I would bet ODU folks list us 1 or 2 because we embarrassed them during their FBS debut seasons (yr 2-3). They thought they were ready for FBS and technically got the invite before we did. We went to their house and totally demolished them 49-zip in front of their home crowd. They thought they were ahead of us in the move up game. We proved we were the real deal and they still had a long way to go. It was demoralizing to them. They returned to our house and we still manhandled them 31-7. They want what we have so that puts us near the top of their wish list.
I doubt that. JMU will be 1 because they’re in state. Marshall will be 2 because they’re coming in together from CUSA. I could see App being their 3. 4-6 will need time to develop between Coastal, Southern, and State.

They’ll certainly have cause to want to beat us because we’ve punked them twice in a row and have been on top of this division for years, but those two things alone do not a rival make.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”