Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New world of QBs in the Portal

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

New world of QBs in the Portal

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:24 pm

We have had lots of discussions about the portal recently with our own players coming and going. This article just shows what is going on with QBs.

More than 70% of the top 50 QBs in 2017-2020 incoming class have transferred. So those folks that have complained about App taking a QB (Chase) you better get used to the new world order. If they don't get a snap in first two years they are going to be moving on.

This gives a good synopsis of the situation.

https://theathletic.com/4148781/2023/02 ... er-portal/

Saint3333

Re: New world of QBs in the Portal

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 am

QB is a tough position, only one maybe two get to play meaningful minutes each season. When everyone carries 4-5 on their roster this is going to continue.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 am

Most if not all of the (mainly D1 FBS) level QB's were generally studs in their high school years. I'm sure that most (if not all) believe that they will be good enough to start almost immediately wherever they land for college ball. Once they arrive on campus that reality sets in. Gone are the days where guys patiently wait their turns, hold clipboards and run scout teams and then hopefully start for probably a season or 2. It's hard to blame these guys honestly. I'd asked before how much had any given App backup QB really played over the past many years. We had TL and he played almost exclusively for his career. Did he miss a game? Then Zac played and I think he was out part of the Stink game and then CCU? Chase didn't miss a start if memory serves me correctly so over the last 7-8 years our backups have barely seen the field. Lots of really good programs could have very talented players (QB in this example) who never play. What I hope we don't fall into is just bringing in some perceived star P5 guy simply because of high school recruiting data.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:20 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 am
What I hope we don't fall into is just bringing in some perceived star P5 guy simply because of high school recruiting data.
I don't believe that will happen. That's never been the case at App -- well except for one year.

Our recruiting strategy is different than most schools. We look for the underdogs. We look for the chip on the shoulder kind of guys. We actively seek them out because we know those are the players that are going to lead. We know those guys are going to work their tails off to prove themselves.

Most teams wait for those players to fall through the cracks. We actively recruit them the entire time so when they do fall through the cracks, they have loyalty to us. Sure, you'll get the few that see the bright lights with the bigger offer, but most of the time, they stick to the loyalty we've built.

I was at my old high school when two coaches came to watch a practice. I overheard one coach from a peer G5 school ask an assistant "who are your highest ranked players?" The App coach asked "who are your best unsung heroes?"
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:20 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
What I hope we don't fall into is just bringing in some perceived star P5 guy simply because of high school recruiting data.
I don't believe that will happen. That's never been the case at App -- well except for one year.

Our recruiting strategy is different than most schools. We look for the underdogs. We look for the chip on the shoulder kind of guys. We actively seek them out because we know those are the players that are going to lead. We know those guys are going to work their tails off to prove themselves.

Most teams wait for those players to fall through the cracks. We actively recruit them the entire time so when they do fall through the cracks, they have loyalty to us. Sure, you'll get the few that see the bright lights with the bigger offer, but most of the time, they stick to the loyalty we've built.

I was at my old high school when two coaches came to watch a practice. I overheard one coach from a peer G5 school ask an assistant "who are your highest ranked players?" The App coach asked "who are your best unsung heroes?"
If a coach has to ask who are a team's best players, then they weren't really doing their homework.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:47 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

Always loved that mentality. On many of these powerhouse teams there are always a couple players who are really good but just don't get the hype for whatever reason and you want those. They have that chip you talk about and will prove people wrong.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:44 pm

If we are going to pay players I think we should be able to trade them.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:03 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

If a coach has to ask who are a team's best players, then they weren't really doing their homework.
This is done as part of the scouting. Every recruiter does their HW and knows who they are there to see. However, every HS coach also knows the diamonds in the rough.

Difference is we want the coal in the rough that we can turn to diamonds.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:11 pm

Here is more of the continuing saga for the $13M NIL deal that has gone south. My thinking is a few of this type of stuff will help bring a greater awareness of the bad side of this crap. I also agree some of this will balance itself out but if you can read the article you can see the evils in the process.

https://theathletic.com/4149181/2023/02 ... %40att.net

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Just my two cents, we should mine the portal for QBs. I’m not talking about simply picking up a guy who got a P5 offer. It was mentioned above that we look for the guy with a chip on his shoulder. I would bet that a bunch of very good if not great QBs who go to P5s and don’t play have a pretty big chip on that shoulder.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:15 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:03 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:

This is done as part of the scouting. Every recruiter does their HW and knows who they are there to see. However, every HS coach also knows the diamonds in the rough.

Difference is we want the coal in the rough that we can turn to diamonds.
I want graphite. It gets the job done without any mess. 😀
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:16 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:49 pm
Just my two cents, we should mine the portal for QBs. I’m not talking about simply picking up a guy who got a P5 offer. It was mentioned above that we look for the guy with a chip on his shoulder. I would bet that a bunch of very good if not great QBs who go to P5s and don’t play have a pretty big chip on that shoulder.
I get what you're saying and don't disagree but this aspect of recruiting is so subjective. Coaches recruiting kids need either a sixth sense or must be psychologists to be able to delve into the mind of these young people. High school football players in particular probably fall into different distinct categories- the absolute can't miss 4-5 star studs who will go P5 and will be solid college football players, the next tier who think they are 4-5 star but probably are not. Those guys get plenty of G5 offers but wait for and usually take that P5 deal then don't play. They either transfer or become distractions. Then there are the in-between guys who hope for P5 offers but are not considered at that level- they are probably the chip on the shoulder guy. We have brought in plenty of them. They get to App, develop and even excel. The portal has created the free agent market full of guys in mostly the second two categories. The second category group moves around because they find out that they won't start or play much and don't want to make the effort to climb up the depth chart at the P5 they coveted. The second group includes guys who now look P5ish at the school they "settled on. The key to success for an App is finding that 3rd tier guy who becomes a stud. We also take our shot at 2nd tier guy and hope he is legit and stays with us and contributes. We seem to hook a few of those guys but they are problematic and move on- usually flame out.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:00 pm

My vote is to give Burger a chance.
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”