Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

McBride?

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: McBride?

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:14 am

appdaze wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:49 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:45 pm
appdaze wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:52 pm
Imagine being a 4 star recruit at bama and patiently waiting your turn only to break your ankle playing in a meaningless JV game that wasn't part of the regular varsity practice or games.

These players are assets to these programs. They aren't going to take anymore unnecessary risks than they have to.
Some of the words you chose in the argument against a JV (or whatever you want to call it) are exactly why I suggested it. These days the backup guys, particularly at the skill positions aren't "waiting patiently ". They want to play, immediately or they find another team where they can play! If the 3rd string QB at App breaks his ankle in a glorified scrimmage versus a meaningful practice it simply happened but at least he was competing and probably having fun.
They are waiting for meaningful varsity division 1 play time. Keyword meaningful. If our 3rd string qb breaks their ankle in a meaningless jv game on Wednesday and then both 1 and 2 go down in the game Saturday then we are screwed because we made the choice to have a 3rd string play less meaningful highly risky minutes.

If you are a 3rd stringer and you get demoted to JV you are in the portal before the ink dries. You are right in that they want to play, but they want to play when it matters.

Again though, these players are financial assets to schools. They aren't going to risk these assets in games outside of the varsity schedule/practices. That would be foolish in this day and age.

The only way a JV works is if it is a fully separate team with its own players and coaching staff because this team would need their own practice times and playing fields as they would need to practice at the same times as the varsity team or at least in the same seasons. I would never ever ask our coaches who already out in insane hours to also go coach a JV team. So you would need money for another coaching staff and everything that comes with another team.

Someone mentioned Ivy League. Don't bother with those comparisons. That is a whole nother world of money you are talking about.
Good points. There has always been situations on every team where a kid comes in thinking he will absolutely take a job day 1 no matter who is already in front of him. Some take it in stride, work hard every day, run the scout team, hold the clipboard, etc and patiently wait for their shot- which might never come or might be mop up duty or perhaps their last year of eligibility. Others come in, get hit with reality and either can't (or won't) accept their roll and now just look for another opportunity. I guess for quarterbacks in particular you have to almost hold your breath during the Spring practice and hope a guy doesn't leave.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:18 am

I would be curious to know how many backups transferred out and wound up starting at the next school? Joe Burrow did it, but how many others.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:24 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:18 am
I would be curious to know how many backups transferred out and wound up starting at the next school? Joe Burrow did it, but how many others.
Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, Will Levis, Chase Brice, Kelly Bryant.. just to name a few in recent years. It happens often.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:08 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:01 pm
So...how many years of eligibility does Aguilar have? Was somewhat hoping Burger would be the undeniable starter to establish some long term continuity like TL and ZT.
But if Aguilar is better so be it. Thinking Burger may move on if he doesn't start this season.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. If I'm correct, Burger has 4 years of eligibility left, while Aguilar has 2. So, if Burger sticks around, he'd be favored to start his junior and senior year. Now, if they recruit some other big talent QB, then maybe Burger transfers. If Burger sticks around, and become QB2, he's one hard tackle away from being QB1, and he would be the presumptive QB1 when Aguilar graduates. I think I'd take that over being the starter at Lenoir-Rhyne or FIU or whatever. I don't know what Burger's thinking is, but that would be mine.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:10 pm

appfanjj wrote:
So...how many years of eligibility does Aguilar have? Was somewhat hoping Burger would be the undeniable starter to establish some long term continuity like TL and ZT.
But if Aguilar is better so be it. Thinking Burger may move on if he doesn't start this season.
Move to another bench, he hasn't played meaningful downs?
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:21 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:08 pm
appfanjj wrote:
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. If I'm correct, Burger has 4 years of eligibility left, while Aguilar has 2. So, if Burger sticks around, he'd be favored to start his junior and senior year. Now, if they recruit some other big talent QB, then maybe Burger transfers. If Burger sticks around, and become QB2, he's one hard tackle away from being QB1, and he would be the presumptive QB1 when Aguilar graduates. I think I'd take that over being the starter at Lenoir-Rhyne or FIU or whatever. I don't know what Burger's thinking is, but that would be mine.
The logic applied here is exactly why I think that a transfer from Burger is unlikely. He is the son of a coach and understands that iron sharpens iron.

BOONE BOUND

Unread post by BOONE BOUND » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, Will Levis, Chase Brice, Kelly Bryant.. just to name a few in recent years. It happens often.
Just a few others are Malik Willis--Quinn Ewers--Emory Jones--Cam Newton--Max Hall--Garder Minshew and the super bowl winning qbs Troy Aikman & Nick Foles are some I can remember.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:38 am

BOONE BOUND wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Just a few others are Malik Willis--Quinn Ewers--Emory Jones--Cam Newton--Max Hall--Garder Minshew and the super bowl winning qbs Troy Aikman & Nick Foles are some I can remember.
Thanks for the list. I should have been more specific in my question. I should have stated who transferred in todays portal era with minimal, if any, playing time that showed promise based on film. Hurts, Jones, Minshew, and Bryant were at some point starters at their previous schools so showed proven abilities. Newton left because he was arrested at Florida.

Ewers was an odd case in that he was a highly decorated recruit out of Texas and only left for Ohio St because the NIL rules in Texas wouldn’t allow him to make money. He came home after he qualified for NIL. So while his inclusion in the list qualifies, it’s not an apples to apples scenario.

There have been successful transfers, but I was wondering for every Burrrow, how many don’t find the opportunity that they were looking for.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 am

BOONE BOUND wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Justin Fields

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:08 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 am
BOONE BOUND wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
Justin Fields
Jake Fromm alone caused 3 or 4 to transfer and take starting positions elsewhere haha! Jacob Eason, Justin Fields, even Stetson Bennett. JT Daniels. It happens all the time.

89gradX2

Unread post by 89gradX2 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:05 pm

Question: Did we ever get a 'Thank You' note from Jake Fromm? Or do we at least get an assist on causing all those transfers at Georgia?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:10 pm

89gradX2 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:05 pm
Question: Did we ever get a 'Thank You' note from Jake Fromm? Or do we at least get an assist on causing all those transfers at Georgia?
My Dentist in Athens is a UGA guy and swears we intentionally took out Eason, then goes on to finish sentence, "but I know that ended up being in the best interest of UGA football". So yes, most will readily admit it.

On the Justin Fields point, another UGA friend always complained, "our ex-QB is now selling real estate and Fields is in the NFL". A bit of exaggeration but pissed that they let Fields get away.

So lots of different emotions from events and coaching decisions.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:37 pm

9 can flat out sling it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”