Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another Portal Loss and Portal Discussion

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:57 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:27 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:15 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:00 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:14 am

If they took my viewpoint point, they should be beating down the door to play at APP.
Looks like App is losing one...I'll let the good people of the YC look for it and watch the panic level go to 10 on here. Gotta go get my popcorn. This is gonna be better that Netflix tonight.
Charles Wright is not listed on the roster so we definitely need to add 1 more QB in this cycle. I just hope we are careful because Wilson expects to start in 2025 and if we sign 2 QBs it could spook him into transferring.
Who expects Wilson to start next year?
I have heard that Wilson is working hard and he expects to earn the job. Maybe our staff does not expect it but it is still early and in this new era a QB is just not going to sit the bench for 3 years to wait anymore. I remember that the staff was nervous about Thomas at Penn State and we saw how that worked out so it is too early to expect him to start or consider him a bust. I hope our staff is putting all they can in him because we need to hit on a HS QB. It has been almost a decade.
Wilson has been on campus for all of four months so his story isn’t written yet. But I don’t know that I would pull the trigger in assuming that he is the guy in 2025. The plan was for Wright to backup and start next year so I would imagine that will be the thought process with the next man up on Frank’s shopping list. It doesn’t matter if he is or isn’t willing to sit, if he isn’t good enough to be QB1 then he is going to sit.

Now if he does turn out to be good enough to be QB1 as a RS Freshman, then that comes with some downside as well. Who can you recruit to sit for three years? Two years? And if he is good enough to start, does he get outside voices trying to lure him away? It will all work out somehow.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:58 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:17 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 pm
Boy, he sure didn't last long on the mountain. You would think that a kid that spent 3 years at Texas would have come to Boone in much better position to compete (for a backup position) than what evidently occurred. I mean, Sark is supposed to be a qb whisperer type of oc and coach. Of course, now we really have no option at QB2 except for a true freshman. Portal time.
How much time is allocated to the development of the 4th string QB?
Wright was listed as projected second string after the spring so I am guessing the QB 3-deep now is Aguilar, Hernandez, and Wilson. Correct?
Based on whose projections? He was likely #2 because that was the hope. I would probably put Estep third right now. But none of them give me the warm and fuzzies. But neither did Wright.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:14 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:57 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 pm

Looks like App is losing one...I'll let the good people of the YC look for it and watch the panic level go to 10 on here. Gotta go get my popcorn. This is gonna be better that Netflix tonight.
Charles Wright is not listed on the roster so we definitely need to add 1 more QB in this cycle. I just hope we are careful because Wilson expects to start in 2025 and if we sign 2 QBs it could spook him into transferring.
I have heard that Wilson is working hard and he expects to earn the job. Maybe our staff does not expect it but it is still early and in this new era a QB is just not going to sit the bench for 3 years to wait anymore. I remember that the staff was nervous about Thomas at Penn State and we saw how that worked out so it is too early to expect him to start or consider him a bust. I hope our staff is putting all they can in him because we need to hit on a HS QB. It has been almost a decade.
Wilson has been on campus for all of four months so his story isn’t written yet. But I don’t know that I would pull the trigger in assuming that he is the guy in 2025. The plan was for Wright to backup and start next year so I would imagine that will be the thought process with the next man up on Frank’s shopping list. It doesn’t matter if he is or isn’t willing to sit, if he isn’t good enough to be QB1 then he is going to sit.

Now if he does turn out to be good enough to be QB1 as a RS Freshman, then that comes with some downside as well. Who can you recruit to sit for three years? Two years? And if he is good enough to start, does he get outside voices trying to lure him away? It will all work out somehow.
If that plan had happened was the goal to start Wilson in 2026 you think?

I get what you are saying but everything can have a positive or negative if you look for it. My hope is that Wilson pans out and is able to start in 2025. It would be nice to have a home grown QB that gets NIL and hopefully stays a while to give a little bit of stability rather than needing to find a starter every other year all the time. I would love to have a 3-4 year starter.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:16 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Boy, he sure didn't last long on the mountain. You would think that a kid that spent 3 years at Texas would have come to Boone in much better position to compete (for a backup position) than what evidently occurred. I mean, Sark is supposed to be a qb whisperer type of oc and coach. Of course, now we really have no option at QB2 except for a true freshman. Portal time.
Wright was listed as projected second string after the spring so I am guessing the QB 3-deep now is Aguilar, Hernandez, and Wilson. Correct?
Estep might be QB2 based off practice squad play. We will find a portal guy though. Only 2 Scholarship qbs isn’t going to fly.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:19 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:16 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Estep might be QB2 based off practice squad play. We will find a portal guy though. Only 2 Scholarship qbs isn’t going to fly.
I agree we definitely need 1 QB but the buzz is we will go for 2 and I think that will be hard to do. If Estep is ahead of Wilson then why not give him a scholarship?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:19 pm
311neers wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
I agree we definitely need 1 QB but the buzz is we will go for 2 and I think that will be hard to do. If Estep is ahead of Wilson then why not give him a scholarship?
He deserves one, but he doesn’t need one. Good kid, great family. Dad knows a lot about ball.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:14 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I get what you are saying but everything can have a positive or negative if you look for it. My hope is that Wilson pans out and is able to start in 2025. It would be nice to have a home grown QB that gets NIL and hopefully stays a while to give a little bit of stability rather than needing to find a starter every other year all the time. I would love to have a 3-4 year starter.
I don’t know that the plan was for Wilson to start in 2026. It would make sense I suppose but I wouldn’t count on it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

He deserves one, but he doesn’t need one. Good kid, great family. Dad knows a lot about ball.
I know he does not need it but I did not know if perhaps the coaches have looked at giving him one because they thought he earned it. He is an underclassmen so I figured they might be more likely after his junior year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I don’t know that the plan was for Wilson to start in 2026. It would make sense I suppose but I wouldn’t count on it.
Hard to plan two years in advance but I just know most HS QBs in their head have a goal of starting by their redshirt sophomore year. It would be nice to hit on a HS QB and was hoping that Wilson would be the next one.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 am

Anyone know why Wright didn't make it, looks like that would be layup that he would be at least number #2? QB backup quality and DL worries the crap out of me at the moment. Back to my earlier thought, the success of our program should sell itself, I'm not gathering that we are having our choice to a degree in transfers or HS recruits.........but maybe that is the "homer" in my thinking?
BLACK SATURDAY

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:47 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 am
1) Anyone know why Wright didn't make it, looks like that would be layup that he would be at least number #2? QB backup quality and 2) DL worries the crap out of me at the moment. 3) Back to my earlier thought, the success of our program should sell itself, I'm not gathering that we are having our choice to a degree in transfers or HS recruits.........but maybe that is the "homer" in my thinking?
1) He wasn’t any good. The game was too fast for him and his timing was horrible and he wasn’t going to grow to fit our plan. What made you think he was a layup as QB #2?
2) We will be ok with DL. We are likely looking for depth at NT, but we have enough moving parts that we can take a DE as well. 3) You are forgetting about that smalll factor of NIL.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:49 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm
311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
311neers wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I know he does not need it but I did not know if perhaps the coaches have looked at giving him one because they thought he earned it. He is an underclassmen so I figured they might be more likely after his junior year.
I doubt he gets one. He hasn’t shown the consistency needed to elevate him to a scholarship spot.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Hard to plan two years in advance but I just know most HS QBs in their head have a goal of starting by their redshirt sophomore year. It would be nice to hit on a HS QB and was hoping that Wilson would be the next one.
The coaches have plans that are more than two years out. My personal opinion, Wilson isn’t going to be the answer at QB long term.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:07 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

The coaches have plans that are more than two years out. My personal opinion, Wilson isn’t going to be the answer at QB long term.
I agree with this statement. Very good athlete that projects to a position switch IMO.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am

AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

He has only been on campus since January and he is already a recruiting miss? We need to give players more time than that. He impressed when he came to camp, they never pulled his scholarship in recruiting, and he was MVP of Shrine Bowl. I hope we haven’t given up already. If you are right then we will not have hit a HS QB recruit since 2016 class. That is not good.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:28 am

That's at least three that have left the program not counting the recent decommitment.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

He has only been on campus since January and he is already a recruiting miss? We need to give players more time than that. If you are right then I wonder if Shawn is gonna look to hire someone who is real good at finding HS QB talent? We haven’t hit since 2016 and that is not good.
How do you glean what I said as a miss? Never said that. I said earlier that he has been on campus for all of four months and his story isn’t written yet. I also said that it is my opinion that he won’t be a QB. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong but the kid is an athlete and can play a multitude of positions. He is someone that needs to be on the field and if he isn’t QB1 then you move him to somewhere that gets him on the field. CoCo Hillary was a QB that got moved to get him on the field.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 am

The stud High School Qb’s go P5. We’re going to get our QBs from the portal or JUCO.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:42 am

QB is the one position group that I see improving across DI football due to the transfer portal. While we aren't holding onto our backup QBs neither is anyone else. Those 4* to high 3* QBs that used to sit on P5 rosters and hope to play as a Redshirt Jr or Sr are now transferring down for playing time. So while I do see depth as an ongoing issue in the QB room going forward - for everyone not just us - I also see the Starter talent being upgraded.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

I agree. Would not be surprised if our starter, more often than not, will now come from portal. After a year at P5 being redshirt, then sitting again as RS freshman...that gets old ..kids want to play. It is competitive nature.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”