Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Discussion

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am

Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am

pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:54 am
Team has played good so far. Even though we were behind at halftime we seemed like we were ready to play, finally! This will be, IMO, our toughest test. Feel good…. But as I said in an earlier post we felt like this exactly one year ago and then the wheels fell off.
Assume that you are looking at the Texas State game? Hopefully the first significant west trip doesn't happen again with a meltdown. Compare the main aspects of the team last year at this point versus this one. We obviously played UNC twice- this version of their team is better and we went toe to toe. I'd rate our team better right now (despite that A&M win). Is our coaching/play calling better? Our line and run game looks better to me. Our receivers are more experienced and overall look better. Is our defense better than this point last year?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:17 am

Overall record west of the Mississippi: 14-14

SBC: 13-5

Kansas 0-1
WYO, Hawaii, Boise 0-3
A&M 1-0
LSU 0-2
Montana 0-3
NMSU 1-0
Idaho 2-0
Texas St 3-1
ULM 2-1
ULL 3-2
Ark St 2-1

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:26 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:08 am
pop5app wrote:
Assume that you are looking at the Texas State game? Hopefully the first significant west trip doesn't happen again with a meltdown. Compare the main aspects of the team last year at this point versus this one. We obviously played UNC twice- this version of their team is better and we went toe to toe. I'd rate our team better right now (despite that A&M win). Is our coaching/play calling better? Our line and run game looks better to me. Our receivers are more experienced and overall look better. Is our defense better than this point last year?
You can compare game logs here:
2022- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 2/gamelog/
2023- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 3/gamelog/

At a glance, through 3 games the offense is pretty comparable to last year. Defense is giving up more yards, but they are giving up fewer touchdowns and forcing more turnovers.
How crazy the UNC game was last year, and how putrid the Texas A&M offense was, really skews the data. I'd like to compare these stats again at the end of the month.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:59 am

UNC was and is our toughest test. The pressure of the game. The ability of UNC's players. The hype of the game.... no other game will come close to that. Wyoming is nowhere near the team UNC is. Wyomings only chance of winning this game is to keep our offense off the field.....exactly what we did to Texas A&M. That's it. We will win this game.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:16 pm

It will be interesting to see if we can run on Wyoming. Through 3 games our running game has been pretty good and I feel more confident in it than last year. UNC and ECU both were pretty good run defenses and it did not slow us down. Feel pretty good about our QB mobility and he has been able to put the ball where our receivers can make plays. Defense is still improving, but we have athletes and they will only continue to improve. Barring turnovers and injuries, I like our chances. Totally different feeling than last year....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:54 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:26 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
pop5app wrote:
You can compare game logs here:
2022- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 2/gamelog/
2023- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 3/gamelog/

At a glance, through 3 games the offense is pretty comparable to last year. Defense is giving up more yards, but they are giving up fewer touchdowns and forcing more turnovers.
How crazy the UNC game was last year, and how putrid the Texas A&M offense was, really skews the data. I'd like to compare these stats again at the end of the month.
Nobody excepy APP fans may remembers us losing to Texas St last year but everybody remembers APP beating Texas A&M
BLACK SATURDAY

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:20 pm

biggie wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am
ESPN has 59.9% for Wyoming.
No line out yet on there.
ESPN gave UNC at 92% chance to win. Ignore their garbage metrics.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:22 pm

pop5app wrote:
Last year App lost to UNC on a 2 point attempt, beat Texas A&M in a knock out drag out, skull dragging kind of way, then beats Troy on a hail mary, then gets up 28-3 on JMU and loses.

By that JMU game, App was playing a lot of young guys I don't think they had planned on playing. Nate and Cam were both hurt or hurting. Trey Cobb was out, Harrington was gone, a lot of young guys on defense were playing and the defensive line depth was a fraction of what it is now.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:47 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:20 pm
biggie wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:51 am
ESPN has 59.9% for Wyoming.
No line out yet on there.
ESPN gave UNC at 92% chance to win. Ignore their garbage metrics.
I do, just interesting to see what they estimate.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:09 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
pop5app wrote:
I feel like our play calling has definitely been better (except for throwing the ball on 3rd and 6 from our own 5 yard line)...

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:17 pm

Better than a 4th and 3 on our own 30
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:18 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:22 pm
pop5app wrote:
Last year App lost to UNC on a 2 point attempt, beat Texas A&M in a knock out drag out, skull dragging kind of way, then beats Troy on a hail mary, then gets up 28-3 on JMU and loses.

By that JMU game, App was playing a lot of young guys I don't think they had planned on playing. Nate and Cam were both hurt or hurting. Trey Cobb was out, Harrington was gone, a lot of young guys on defense were playing and the defensive line depth was a fraction of what it is now.
Long as we pay them back in October
BLACK SATURDAY

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm

I think I recall that Saturday we had a 3rd and maybe 6ish around the ECU 35. I turned to a guy beside me and sarcastically said well here comes a run. If I recall we did run it and took the ball down inside the 5. I turned to that guy and said "what the hell do we know"?

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:33 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm
I think I recall that Saturday we had a 3rd and maybe 6ish around the ECU 35. I turned to a guy beside me and sarcastically said well here comes a run. If I recall we did run it and took the ball down inside the 5. I turned to that guy and said "what the hell do we know"?
I don't mind that so much in this scenario. You basically have 2 downs to get it. A run call in that scenario leads me to believe that you'd go for it on 4th unless you lose yardage. Kind of like if a pitcher will throw a breaking ball 3-1, he'll throw it 3-2.

I get that worst case scenario happened on the 3rd and 6 with the pick 6 but in the first quarter, it seems wise to run the ball and punt as opposed to risking things.

I'm sure there's a valid reason for the play call, I just don't know it. Like you said "what in the hell do we know", they thankfully have never asked what I think haha.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:52 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:14 am
Not excited at all about the forecast, and not that it could be in the upper 30's, but the 25mph winds will be a problem in the passing game. With our guys, I gave us the advantage on being more multi-dimensional. Time to heal up TE's and the lines are going to have to play great. Time to whip out the winter gear for this one.
With a forecast like that I guess Joey will get an introduction to what he can expect in Boone this winter. I think some of his teammates have been kidding him about the harsh weather in Boone.⛄️❄️

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:56 pm

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:58 pm

biggie wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:56 pm
Its a menu of players to be fed to our team! GO APP STATE!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:34 pm

It seems to me that we have better quality depth for the most part , across the roster .We may not see a couple of the guys that can make a difference until conference play.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:38 pm

NeersBy90 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:33 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:22 pm
I don't mind that so much in this scenario. You basically have 2 downs to get it. A run call in that scenario leads me to believe that you'd go for it on 4th unless you lose yardage. Kind of like if a pitcher will throw a breaking ball 3-1, he'll throw it 3-2.

I get that worst case scenario happened on the 3rd and 6 with the pick 6 but in the first quarter, it seems wise to run the ball and punt as opposed to risking things.

I'm sure there's a valid reason for the play call, I just don't know it. Like you said "what in the hell do we know", they thankfully have never asked what I think haha.
I don’t think that the play was designed to go where it did. Once Joey got the call from the side, ECU rushed the box essentially creating no running lanes and no throwing lanes to the middle. He would have little to no time to do anything else but throw it away.

I agree with you about the two downs to get the 1st. Analytics tells you that you have a 44% chance of making a 1st down on 3rd and 6. However, if you can somehow pick up 4 yards to make it a 4th and 2, your odds of converting increase dramatically to 67%.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”