Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Discussion

BallantyneApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:27 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:20 pm
To blame this loss on Clark is stupid. Clark isn’t calling red zone plays. He isn’t blocking on the FG unit. He isn’t filling run gaps. He isn’t throwing balls up for grabs on the wrong read.

Did he tell Ponce to be conservative? Idk. I’m sure he played in role in that. But that decision alone is not the reason for the loss.

It’s time for QB1 to get us back on track.
Clark isn’t doing any of that if we win. So he gets no blame and no credit. Why is he here?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:27 pm

If Ponce told Clark on his headset during that drive that he wanted to throw a few passes and was overruled then going into the play not to lose mode is totally on him. The lack of clock management is on him. The boneheaded plays are on the players. 24 hour rule. Go get them In Conference and for heaven sake please give Kanye more touches.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:29 pm

Live by the field goal, die by the field goal.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:26 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:21 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:15 pm
GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:14 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:08 pm
Same coach beat Texas A and M
Same coach has UNC down to the wire 2 straight seasons and a dropped 2 point pass wide ass open ballsy play call produces a win.
Same coach in 2021 on side kick vs CCU and energizes the crowd to win the game.
Same coach rolled over EZU last week

Clark will have another job making more money with less stress 30 minutes after you clowns decide to cut him loose.
A&M won 4 games last year
UNC is fair, but still loses. Moral victories aren’t victories
He didnt call the onside kick vs CC. The kicker admitted that he and Tucker did it on their own accord, they said it on BGP this week
ECU is terrible. does he get a star for beating another 1-3 team?
While he didn't make the call to do the kick, he did make the call to let the Hughes and Milan make that decision if they got the look they liked.

So, while it wasn't a "kick the ball to Milan" call it was a "if they give you this look, let Milan know and let's roll" call.
Actually Hughes went against the coaches on the play if you listened to the BGP last week.
Interesting. I don't list to BGP because I can't stand AJ. Same reason I can't watch the press conferences with David Ware. I don't don't have time to listen to people talk endlessly for the sole reason of hearing themselves speak.
Lol hard speak but true cudos ..soft the bgp

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:27 pm
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:13 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Same coach has UNC down to the wire 2 straight seasons and a dropped 2 point pass wide ass open ballsy play call produces a win.

Clark will have another job making more money with less stress 30 minutes after you clowns decide to cut him loose.
So how do you explain all of his inexplicable losses after the games listed above?
Which games?

Shawn Clark has a 67% winning percentage through a Pandemic and an expanded SBC that has added deeper more resourceful teams/programs,

Whose your answer for the position that actually wants to stick around and work for DG and live in Boone??
Mack Brown didn't leave App State for UNC in the 80's, Mack Brown left App State to be a P5 OC at Oklahoma.
Doug couldn't get a Clemson OC to want the job when Drink left.

And before you question my 'work for DG' comment -- he and Satt zero relationship, he and Drink didn't speak once Drink started raising money for himself/program to buy gold helmets in 2019.
To be fair, Drink shouldn't have had to raise that money. He spent it elsewhere which is why DG was pissed. And it turned out Drink spent more money elsewhere and hid it until he was gone. But, that's for a different day and a different story.

And, somebody will somehow say this is just an excuse for the reason Wyoming blocked the FG.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

I don't know what meds they have you on....but let me know so I can get some.
Common Sense meds... 3 point underdog 2500 miles away for a road game that took 12 hours to get from Boone to Wyoming door to door and the ball team played their tails off. Spoiled App fans are worse than trailer park Tar Hole fans and wannabe Dookie fans.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:31 pm

The defense was outstanding tonight. 200 yards and locked down when they had to. Swarmed to the ball and tackled well.

The one big play they gave up didn’t lose the game. The culmination of many poor plays on the other side lost it.
Give 'em hell!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:31 pm

As someone mentioned above, there’s still an entire conference slate of games to go. Many of you will be barbecuing crow in December if this team goes on a run.

However, as someone else mentioned above, this game was marred by some chickensh*t play calling. This has been an issue ever since Clark has been coach. I’m not calling for his head, but how long does it take to learn that you ALWAYS play to win. You NEVER play to not lose.

One thing for absolute certain- this defense is head and shoulders above last year’s defense. We can all at least take solace in that.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:34 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:19 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:12 pm
Most frustrating loss since Wake Forest at home. Totally dominated, Wyoming is very fortunate. I will say this, their fans were as good as I’ve been around on the road. Classy. Still, fluke loss. 7 first downs and only 208 yards of O with 80 on one play, smh, it’s going to take a while to get over this one. No one to blame imo, just extremely unlucky in this one.
Luck is when preparation meets effort and teams the last 16 games seem to be experiencing more “luck” than us. The bounces we used to get haven’t been as frequent.
We dominated, they won, that’s it. WYO very fortunate to get this W and anyone who watched the game knows it. If not, then you are looking for blame in the wrong places. I think we get a bowl game this year, and I think we will be great next. I am as frustrated right now then anyone, but this is on the players who made mistakes at the very worst time and even though there went many, they were big enough to cost us the game. That’s it.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:34 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

So how do you explain all of his inexplicable losses after the games listed above?
Which games?

Shawn Clark has a 67% winning percentage through a Pandemic and an expanded SBC that has added deeper more resourceful teams/programs,

Who’s your answer for the position that actually wants to stick around and work for DG and live in Boone??
Mack Brown didn't leave App State for UNC in the 80's, Mack Brown left App State to be a P5 OC at Oklahoma.

And before you question my 'work for DG' comment -- he and Satt zero relationship, he and Drink didn't speak once Drink started raising money for himself/program to buy gold helmets in 2019.
Honestly not a requirement. I get DG doesn’t like that aspect of the job, but that’s the job.

smokeshow

Unread post by smokeshow » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:36 pm

The man is not underpaid to say otherwise is just stupidity. I think he is the highest paid HC in sunbelt maybe a hair under new coastal carolina coach but I mean for what? The product has been just dismal.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:43 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Which games?

Whose your answer for the position that actually wants to stick around and work for DG and live in Boone??

Off the top of my head - games that he should have won include Marshall in 2020, ULL in 2020; Miami and ULL in 2021; and then there was last year’s debacle.

And here is the problem too many of our fans have - you expect and long for a coach who is going to win and stick around. Those are almost mutually exclusive at the G5 level. If you are a top G5 level program and your head coach isn’t getting poached every couple of seasons, then you have to look in the mirror. Being known as feeder to a P5 coaching position isn’t a bad thing; it is going to attract coaching talent.

APPSTATE2011

Unread post by APPSTATE2011 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:46 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:20 pm
To blame this loss on Clark is stupid. Clark isn’t calling red zone plays. He isn’t blocking on the FG unit. He isn’t filling run gaps. He isn’t throwing balls up for grabs on the wrong read.

Did he tell Ponce to be conservative? Idk. I’m sure he played in role in that. But that decision alone is not the reason for the loss.

It’s time for QB1 to get us back on track.
QB1? The guy who looked lost against Garner Webb?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:47 pm

LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:43 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Which games?

Off the top of my head - games that he should have won include Marshall in 2020, ULL in 2020; Miami and ULL in 2021; and then there was last year’s debacle.

And here is the problem too many of our fans have - you expect and long for a coach who is going to win and stick around. Those are almost mutually exclusive at the G5 level. If you are a top G5 level program and your head coach isn’t getting poached every couple of seasons, then you have to look in the mirror. Being known as feeder to a P5 coaching position isn’t a bad thing; it is going to attract coaching talent.
Exactly.

Perfectly said.
Last edited by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:48 pm

Have we ever lost a game that wasn't the coach's fault? It's like some of you think he's the only one involved in the game. He may not be the greatest, but damn, he doesn't cause us to lose every game we play

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:53 pm

LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:43 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Which games?

Totally agree with this.

But to expect him to win Miami, both ULL games is a bit ridiculous. No coach is going to win every close game... If you say this about Clark then Satt should have beat Tenn, Penn State and Wake - Satt coached in the SBC when it was pitiful, no Coastal, Marshall or JMU and ULL and the west stunk.

Drink literally had everything go his way perfectly in the UNC and South Carolina wins, but he shouldn't have lost to Ga Southern on that cold windy night huh?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:56 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:48 pm
Have we ever lost a game that wasn't the coach's fault? It's like some of you think he's the only one involved in the game. He may not be the greatest, but damn, he doesn't cause us to lose every game we play
Penn St
UTk
Wake many times
ULL SBC championship
UNCCH twice
So many more

It’s ok to be objective. One person didn’t lose the game tonight, but the team with more talent didn’t win and it’s ok to discuss why.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:57 pm

We lost because Aguilar had a bad night. Happens to the best of them. Many of his throwing decisions led to major moments for the Cowboys. Shit happens he will bounce back just fine. Probably even better. Go App.
YNWA

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:59 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

I don't know what meds they have you on....but let me know so I can get some.
Common Sense meds... 3 point underdog 2500 miles away for a road game that took 12 hours to get from Boone to Wyoming door to door and the ball team played their tails off. Spoiled App fans are worse than trailer park Tar Hole fans and wannabe Dookie fans.
All of that is irrelevant once you get into the game. Had multiple chances to step on their throat and put the game away, but coached conservative and scared. 417 yards to 208. 27 first downs to 7. 40 minutes TOP to 19. Do you actually realize what you’re defending here? This is an inexcusable loss.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:59 pm

It's OK to criticize Clark. It's been a roller coaster since he's taken over. Other than having met him and thinking very highly of him as a man, I liked the swagger and attitude he brought with the "bombs over Baghdad and sandpaper" stuff, but that was an isolated occurrence that we have not seen since. I hate it, bc that's why I supported the hire. He hasn't been that guy.

For Ponce, he frustrated the living sh out of me with similar bizarre play calling in 2021. I was one of the few that wasn't too excites to have him back. My theory is he gameplans for what he thinks and when it works it looks great, when it doesn't, he struggles to pivot. But I have to wonder about the conservative play calling on 3rd downs and different situations because the same things happened last season when he wasn't here. The common denominators? Ware and Clark.

App State has always been a culture of scrappy football, honey badger type football. Drink notably did the "play not to lose" style, but he had the personnel to do it (especially on defense led by ADG). This is not that team and Shawn should recognize the need to go into a game and play App State "smack.you in the mouth" football where we play wide open on all.sides of the ball. It's how we built our brand and legacy. You can't claim.to be "an App guy" and be scared to play like "an App guy". Now, screw this sh-t game and let's go sandpaper some Sunbelt ass.
The Appalachian State

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”