Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Discussion

yosef69
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:08 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:06 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:03 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:52 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:59 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 pm

Common Sense meds... 3 point underdog 2500 miles away for a road game that took 12 hours to get from Boone to Wyoming door to door and the ball team played their tails off. Spoiled App fans are worse than trailer park Tar Hole fans and wannabe Dookie fans.
All of that is irrelevant once you get into the game. Had multiple chances to step on their throat and put the game away, but coached conservative and scared. 417 yards to 208. 27 first downs to 7. 40 minutes TOP to 19. Do you actually realize what you’re defending here? This is an inexcusable loss.
1) How is it inexcusable? Did you not watch the game and the actual flow? it was sold school grind it out ball game, ball control, running the clock contest. Clark's defense was playing lights out so he coached fairly conservative when he should have to avoid giving them the momentum. it worked until a fluke block FG happened.

2) How is it irrelevant? And I am defending the fact that App was the road team traveling a long way and Clark had his team well prepared and they executed the game plan perfectly except for 3/4 plays.

What is disgusting about 98% of you that type on this idiotic web site is after GW - UNC and EZU Joey was the savior and best passer App football has seen, last night you that Cheese Burger kid to come back. This fan base is gross!!
“It worked til a fluke blocked FG happened”. Yeah bud, that’s the point. When you coach like Clark does you open yourself up to fluke losses because he obviously coached not to lose instead of to go win. You guys who watch the games and can’t see that, it’s laughable at this point. And you’re not worth arguing with lol.
As soon as he gets aggressive and they throw a pic you would be crushing him for that... the Dude plays to win in more games than he doesn't. Overreaction Sunday fan base. 2-2 with a back up QB
I mean he is objectively almost always too conservative so I have no idea what you are talking about that he plays to win, myself and plenty of others feel the total opposite

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:10 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 pm

Common Sense meds... 3 point underdog 2500 miles away for a road game that took 12 hours to get from Boone to Wyoming door to door and the ball team played their tails off. Spoiled App fans are worse than trailer park Tar Hole fans and wannabe Dookie fans.
All of that is irrelevant once you get into the game. Had multiple chances to step on their throat and put the game away, but coached conservative and scared. 417 yards to 208. 27 first downs to 7. 40 minutes TOP to 19. Do you actually realize what you’re defending here? This is an inexcusable loss.
1) How is it inexcusable? Did you not watch the game and the actual flow? it was sold school grind it out ball game, ball control, running the clock contest. Clark's defense was playing lights out so he coached fairly conservative when he should have to avoid giving them the momentum. it worked until a fluke block FG happened.

2) How is it irrelevant? And I am defending the fact that App was the road team traveling a long way and Clark had his team well prepared and they executed the game plan perfectly except for 3/4 plays.

What is disgusting about 98% of you that type on this idiotic web site is after GW - UNC and EZU Joey was the savior and best passer App football has seen, last night you that Cheese Burger kid to come back. This fan base is gross!!
“It worked til a fluke blocked FG happened”. Yeah bud, that’s the point. When you coach like Clark does you open yourself up to fluke losses because he obviously coached not to lose instead of to go win. You guys who watch the games and can’t see that, it’s laughable at this point. And you’re not worth arguing with lol.
As soon as he gets aggressive and they throw a pic you would be crushing him for that... the Dude plays to win in more games than he doesn't. Overreaction Sunday fan base. 2-2 with a back up QB
Nope, I wouldn’t. I would applaud him for going for TDs and not settling for FGs. It’s simple math man. Really not that hard to figure out.

But, you are implying here that Clark is afraid that instead of executing, his offense is will make a mistake. Which implies that’s why he settles so often for FGs in opponents territory. Which you would be exactly correct. So close to getting it right.
Last edited by Yosef10 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:10 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:56 am
I swear some of you are fine with losing all our games if a fellow mountaineer is in charge.
I don't see anyone celebrating the loss. But too many folks here want to put the entire blame on Clark. It wasn't his miscue that lead to their first touchdown. It wasn't his missed gap that lead to their second touchdown. It wasn't his lack of blocking on the blocked FG. That's not to say he or the coaching staff are blameless in the loss but the idea that somehow Clark lost the game all by himself is wrong.

I have no idea what the future holds for the rest of the season and the HC's future. The season is at a critical juncture here and I suspect so is his future as the head coach. But, one can play the "what if" game all day long. What if we score one or two TDs instead of those field goals. Of course, what if we came away with no points in those red zone ventures. Its a game we should have won but when it really mattered our team/coaches failed to execute. There is plenty of blame to go around.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:15 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:10 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

Nope, I wouldn’t. I would applaud him for going for TDs and not settling for FGs. It’s simple math man. Really not that hard to figure out.
I've got absolutely no problem kicking the FGs is those situations. I do question our play calling up until we kick the FGs. I do think we got too cautious in the red zone.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:19 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Satterfield lost at UMASS.

Drink is the only one hit wonder perfect coach App has seen -- he left town cause he knew 13-1 wasn't happening each year.

Perspective
We’re a tipped Hail Mary from 1-8 in one score ball games the past two seasons.

Perspective

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:20 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:10 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

But, you are implying here that Clark is afraid that instead of executing, his offense is will make a mistake. Which implies that’s why he settles so often for FGs in opponents territory. Which you would be exactly correct. So close to getting it right.
I stated during game or right after red zone offense should be better, maybe go for a TD in first half, But the end of game conservative play calling was absolutely the 100% correct call. and 98% P5 coaches would agree -- Wyoming offense had 1 play all night -- their WR couldn't get open. they scored a TD off a first half Turnover lateral crap play and a block FG. Clark conservative last series was correct coaching decisions, execution just didn't happen.

its also a human element not perfect football players on the field.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:23 am

Last game we failed to score an offensive touchdown was 2013 against Georgia. It's pointless now (really anytime) but if we took a show of hands how many of us would have been happy had we gone for touchdowns on those first two possessions and come away with nothing? Obviously some would have complained about the play calls or simply that we didn't score. I was fine getting 3 on the first possession. After that we just played scared. I watched the short press conference clip and I didn't hear the obligatory "this is on me" stuff. Coach uses "we" a lot. I saw several closeups of Joey and I didn't see the same look in his eyes that I saw the last few weeks. If we called that first backwards pass that was absolutely stupid. Going about 2 yards past the line and then throwing the ball, another brain fart. The last back foot heave in that situation, brutal. If the teams had been equal and we simply lost like 27-24 you can live with it (I guess) but to double up the offensive stats, limit them to 7 (yes seven) first downs and thoroughly dominate TOP and lose is mind boggling.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:24 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:01 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:59 am
yosef69 wrote:
I swear some of you are fine with losing all our games if a fellow mountaineer is in charge.
You are 2-2, not 0-4. loss to top 15 UNC in double OT and a Mountain West team that beat Texas Tech and was tied with Texas in the 3rd quarter

Get some perspective people.
You’d be right if we didn’t lose due to the same glaring issues that have caused us to lose for 4 years now.
Exactly - game management and conservative play calling/playing not to lose instead of playing to win

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:25 am

yikas1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:04 am
We have played well enough to be undefeated, less the big plays, Up a TD in overtime against Carolina and they pop off a huge run. Up big last night and they pop off a 75 yard run. Then the blocked kick. A pick six and a fumble return for a TD nearly cost us against ECU. To me it's not that we aren't better than last year. But if we manage a game to win, we cannot afford a lapse in concentration. That to me is coaching.
I totally agree. It seems like every game we need to over come multiple major mental errors to win. At best we let a lesser team hang around and still win. At worst, it costs us the game.

Untimely penalties that kill drives or extend them for the other team. Play great defense for 90% of the game, only to get gashed on letting our guard down for one play or one drive. Going for it on 4th down in terrible field position and not getting it. Not going for it on other 4th downs. Gettting too conservative and then out of the blue getting extremely aggressive on a play. Boneheaded turnovers like lobbing the ball into the middle of the field or calling for a pass into the hashes on 3rd down out of your own end zone. Playing for FGs, not taking FGs when it obvious.

We’re a much better team this year but don’t let it fool you that we are still handicapped by a bad HC.
Last edited by RunawayJM on Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:26 am

Regardless of who or what you blame for last night's loss, in college football accountability should ALWAYS start and end with the Head Coach. Plain and simple.

Whether you think Clark is the guy or not, App State football is 8-8 in our last 16 games. That is a fact. And it's the definition of mediocrity and should not be tolerated or accepted as a Program. I'm sure that Coach Clark and the staff/players would wholeheartedly agree with that. Ultimately, it's on Clark to get this fixed.

I'm personally a little dubious that it gets fixed. We have cycled in new quarterbacks, new coordinators, etc and so far, the record is still .500 when it should be better than that. Head coach needs to be held accountable if it doesn't turn around and that probably means his job.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:28 am

Just out of curiosity over the past 5 plus years what is our record against teams who finished the season over .500? So far this year it's to be determined as GW and ECU have losing records. Didn't UNC and USC finish with losing records the Drink year? A&M ended with a sub .500 year. Go back farther. How many teams have we beaten who won at least 8 games? Do we have to go back to the Sunbelt Championship years?

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:31 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:28 am
Just out of curiosity over the past 5 plus years what is our record against teams who finished the season over .500? So far this year it's to be determined as GW and ECU have losing records. Didn't UNC and USC finish with losing records the Drink year? A&M ended with a sub .500 year. Go back farther. How many teams have we beaten who won at least 8 games? Do we have to go back to the Sunbelt Championship years?
It was like 7-11 in the Clark era heading into this season. So like 7-13?

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:31 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:59 am
yosef69 wrote:
You are 2-2, not 0-4. loss to top 15 UNC in double OT and a Mountain West team that beat Texas Tech and was tied with Texas in the 3rd quarter

Get some perspective people.
I didn’t see anybody calling out Clark after unc.

I’d be fine with this if Wyoming had lined up with us and just beat us. They didn’t.

The players weren’t the ones waiting until 10 was left on the play clock to get one of the 2 plays we call in so we burned all our timeouts. I’m imagining that’s because SOMEONE overruled a play call that wasn’t an inside handoff.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:38 am

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:19 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Satterfield lost at UMASS.

Drink is the only one hit wonder perfect coach App has seen -- he left town cause he knew 13-1 wasn't happening each year.

Perspective
We’re a tipped Hail Mary from 1-8 in one score ball games the past two seasons.

Perspective
2-8 in one score games is very troubling. It says there is a lack of execution somewhere in the chain. You can debate where that is, but to ignore the issue shows a lack of objectivity.

We used to be a program that debated what were our best wins, now I struggle with which loses are more frustrating I.e. JMU or WYO.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:44 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:55 am
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:43 am
Who is at fault that we had to waste three time outs on the drive that ended up in the blocked field goal? Plays seemed to take forever to get in all night, but especially then, only to be the same three we’ve run forever, anyway. In other words, they knew what we were going to run before we did. I knew it. I might not know “Z wide bunch whiskey flat zoom on one on one” by name, but I know play one, play two, or play three — because that’s all we run. And have run since 2020 — you know, that year we were the ONLY team in America to have to deal with Covid.

The continued excuses and the “you don’t understand football” narrative is maddening.
That offense had over 400 total yards last night.... now what.
And continued to be ineffective in short yardage situations, because they run the same damn play over and over again. That’s what.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:46 am

I stated when Miller Gibbs and Harrington got hurt and were to miss games that would have an affect..... Not having a TE in those red zone plays really hurt --

I watched Clemson play calling yesterday last series vs FSU yesterday and OT was atrocious. Sean McDonough for ESPN called them out over Timeout usage and Dabo has won National Titles and makes 10 million dollars a year. That was 2 play calls that were as bad as any ever.

Some of you just hate Clark and quite frankly will never change your mind on that. therefore I hope he wins 8 games keeps his job but doesn't win the SBC so you fans have to live in purgatory. Dave Doreen at NC State is mediocre as hell, 10 years of it.
13-1 in 2019 is a farce.... 9 wins is this programs ceiling, get use to it. not enough internal resources to be better than that.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:48 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:46 am
I stated when Miller Gibbs and Harrington got hurt and were to miss games that would have an affect..... Not having a TE in those red zone plays really hurt --

I watched Clemson play calling yesterday last series vs FSU yesterday and OT was atrocious. Sean McDonough for ESPN called them out over Timeout usage and Dabo has won National Titles and makes 10 million dollars a year. That was 2 play calls that were as bad as any ever.

Some of you just hate Clark and quite frankly will never change your mind on that. therefore I hope he wins 8 games keeps his job but doesn't win the SBC so you fans have to live in purgatory. Dave Doreen at NC State is mediocre as hell, 10 years of it.
13-1 in 2019 is a farce.... 9 wins is this programs ceiling, get use to it. not enough internal resources to be better than that.
Nobody hates him. He’s just a bad head coach. Great guy and great OL coach though.

What a BS post from an app “fan”

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:49 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:

That is the most pathetic post in the history of this board.

AppRT

Unread post by AppRT » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:50 am

No one is blaming Clark for the all of the made field goals, blocked field goal, the scoop and score, or the interception at the end. We are blaming him for being in those positions to begin with. With the right calls, there’s no need for that many field goals because we’re scoring touchdowns. There’s no blocked field goal because we were to busy getting 7 points. There’s no need for Joey to throw up a prayer at the end.

This has been the story for 4 years.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:52 am

appst89 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:49 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

That is the most pathetic post in the history of this board.
Hard to believe he’s not a GaSo troll with that post.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”