Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Discussion

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:53 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:46 am
I stated when Miller Gibbs and Harrington got hurt and were to miss games that would have an affect..... Not having a TE in those red zone plays really hurt --

I watched Clemson play calling yesterday last series vs FSU yesterday and OT was atrocious. Sean McDonough for ESPN called them out over Timeout usage and Dabo has won National Titles and makes 10 million dollars a year. That was 2 play calls that were as bad as any ever.

Some of you just hate Clark and quite frankly will never change your mind on that. therefore I hope he wins 8 games keeps his job but doesn't win the SBC so you fans have to live in purgatory. Dave Doreen at NC State is mediocre as hell, 10 years of it.
13-1 in 2019 is a farce.... 9 wins is this programs ceiling, get use to it. not enough internal resources to be better than that.
Pulling against your school to win above mediocrity just for your benefit. That’s a million ways wrong.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:59 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:20 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:10 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:06 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:03 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:52 am

1) How is it inexcusable? Did you not watch the game and the actual flow? it was sold school grind it out ball game, ball control, running the clock contest. Clark's defense was playing lights out so he coached fairly conservative when he should have to avoid giving them the momentum. it worked until a fluke block FG happened.

2) How is it irrelevant? And I am defending the fact that App was the road team traveling a long way and Clark had his team well prepared and they executed the game plan perfectly except for 3/4 plays.

What is disgusting about 98% of you that type on this idiotic web site is after GW - UNC and EZU Joey was the savior and best passer App football has seen, last night you that Cheese Burger kid to come back. This fan base is gross!!
“It worked til a fluke blocked FG happened”. Yeah bud, that’s the point. When you coach like Clark does you open yourself up to fluke losses because he obviously coached not to lose instead of to go win. You guys who watch the games and can’t see that, it’s laughable at this point. And you’re not worth arguing with lol.
As soon as he gets aggressive and they throw a pic you would be crushing him for that... the Dude plays to win in more games than he doesn't. Overreaction Sunday fan base. 2-2 with a back up QB
Nope, I wouldn’t. I would applaud him for going for TDs and not settling for FGs. It’s simple math man. Really not that hard to figure out.

But, you are implying here that Clark is afraid that instead of executing, his offense is will make a mistake. Which implies that’s why he settles so often for FGs in opponents territory. Which you would be exactly correct. So close to getting it right.
I stated during game or right after red zone offense should be better, maybe go for a TD in first half, But the end of game conservative play calling was absolutely the 100% correct call. and 98% P5 coaches would agree -- Wyoming offense had 1 play all night -- their WR couldn't get open. they scored a TD off a first half Turnover lateral crap play and a block FG. Clark conservative last series was correct coaching decisions, execution just didn't happen.

its also a human element not perfect football players on the field.
There’s no scenario in which kicking FGs on 4th and 2 from the Wyoming 8 yard line, and 4th and Goal from the Wyoming 3 yard line is the right call. It is what it is, the world will keep spinning today, but those are indefensible decisions.

Clark is a mostly fine coach, but I’m just not sure you guys who defend him to the end know what you’re really watching on Saturday’s when it comes to making decisions to give your team the best probability to win. Clark blows those decisions Saturday after Saturday. Just a fact.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:00 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:15 am
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:52 am

1) How is it inexcusable? Did you not watch the game and the actual flow? it was sold school grind it out ball game, ball control, running the clock contest. Clark's defense was playing lights out so he coached fairly conservative when he should have to avoid giving them the momentum. it worked until a fluke block FG happened.

2) How is it irrelevant? And I am defending the fact that App was the road team traveling a long way and Clark had his team well prepared and they executed the game plan perfectly except for 3/4 plays.

What is disgusting about 98% of you that type on this idiotic web site is after GW - UNC and EZU Joey was the savior and best passer App football has seen, last night you that Cheese Burger kid to come back. This fan base is gross!!
“It worked til a fluke blocked FG happened”. Yeah bud, that’s the point. When you coach like Clark does you open yourself up to fluke losses because he obviously coached not to lose instead of to go win. You guys who watch the games and can’t see that, it’s laughable at this point. And you’re not worth arguing with lol.
As soon as he gets aggressive and they throw a pic you would be crushing him for that... the Dude plays to win in more games than he doesn't. Overreaction Sunday fan base. 2-2 with a back up QB
Nope, I wouldn’t. I would applaud him for going for TDs and not settling for FGs. It’s simple math man. Really not that hard to figure out.
I've got absolutely no problem kicking the FGs is those situations. I do question our play calling up until we kick the FGs. I do think we got too cautious in the red zone.
On drive 1 or 2, there was a WR open in the end zone on 3rd down. We just missed seeing he was open.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:02 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
I stated when Miller Gibbs and Harrington got hurt and were to miss games that would have an affect..... Not having a TE in those red zone plays really hurt --

I watched Clemson play calling yesterday last series vs FSU yesterday and OT was atrocious. Sean McDonough for ESPN called them out over Timeout usage and Dabo has won National Titles and makes 10 million dollars a year. That was 2 play calls that were as bad as any ever.

Some of you just hate Clark and quite frankly will never change your mind on that. therefore I hope he wins 8 games keeps his job but doesn't win the SBC so you fans have to live in purgatory. Dave Doreen at NC State is mediocre as hell, 10 years of it.
13-1 in 2019 is a farce.... 9 wins is this programs ceiling, get use to it. not enough internal resources to be better than that.
Surprised it took this long in the thread for the Shawn Clark v.s. accomplished P5 head coach comparison.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:02 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Are you serious? You call us out for being unreasonable????..... that was the dumbest post I have ever read and I have read some Jcline posts.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:03 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Eric Church you sly SOB. Did Mack put you up to this?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:04 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
9 wins is this programs ceiling, get use to it. not enough internal resources to be better than that.
Lot of silly things in this post, but this may be the silliest.

Watching this game I was reminded of an article from last year where anonymous SBC coaches shared some thoughts, and it was said year in and year out App is the most talented team in the league.

App was definitely the most talented team on the field in Laramie yesterday, just have a head coach who doesn’t believe it and plays as such.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:06 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:03 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Eric Church you sly SOB. Did Mack put you up to this?
Imagine logging in and out of 3 separate accounts under 1 person on a message board. Exhausting and sad.

PPKA2019

Unread post by PPKA2019 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:08 am

You cannot trust a fast talker, especially a coach

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:08 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:59 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

But, you are implying here that Clark is afraid that instead of executing, his offense is will make a mistake. Which implies that’s why he settles so often for FGs in opponents territory. Which you would be exactly correct. So close to getting it right.
I stated during game or right after red zone offense should be better, maybe go for a TD in first half, But the end of game conservative play calling was absolutely the 100% correct call. and 98% P5 coaches would agree -- Wyoming offense had 1 play all night -- their WR couldn't get open. they scored a TD off a first half Turnover lateral crap play and a block FG. Clark conservative last series was correct coaching decisions, execution just didn't happen.

There’s no scenario in which kicking FGs on 4th and 2 from the Wyoming 8 yard line, and 4th and Goal from the Wyoming 3 yard line is the right call. It is what it is, the world will keep spinning today, but those are indefensible decisions.

Clark is a mostly fine coach, but I’m just not sure you guys who defend him to the end know what you’re really watching on Saturday’s when it comes to making decisions to give your team the best probability to win. Clark blows those decisions Saturday after Saturday. Just a fact.
Those that defend him don't see the big picture. They only want to look at one game at a time. We lose, they say it's the players who didn't execute, they win then it's "What were you saying again about Clark?"

They also dismiss things in the past, and make excuses as if adversity, COVID, etc. have only impacted App State football in the past, and that no head coach has or ever could overcome those situations.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 am

I looked back at 2016 as an example. We went 10-3 and people thought we were fantastic. We beat Savannah State, ODU who had just moved up, Idaho, New Mexico State, got throttled by Miami at home and beat some bad Belt teams. I'll rephrase the earlier question. Since the 2016 season how many "quality wins" do we have- the opponent finished with at least 7 wins (just use that as a base) and how many bad losses (the opponent finished with a .500 or worse final record)? I'm guessing that we have more bad losses than quality wins. We beat CCU when they were ranked. After that what?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 am

I hope Clark wins the next 10 games, but situational adjustments are going to have to improve and we must do the little things right from coaches to players in all phases. The margin for error in this conference is very small and we seem to fall on the wrong side there in close ones.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:19 am

I went to bed scratching my head on what happened last night. Still not sure what to think. But my gut tells me this is what we should expect going forward. I see undefeated and much improved squads all up and down the Sunbelt east division. I'm nit confident we can beat any of them right now. Do we have the talent to compete? Sure, they showed that already. Do we have youth and inexperience? Yep, showed that too? Do we have examples of bonehead coaching? Yep, and this will not change either.
I have resigned myself to several years of extreme mediocrity for who knows how long. We are being left in the dust and it's going to be embarrassing at times to be a fan. I'll still wear my App State hat every day but in my opinion our ship has sailed. No conference championship and no bowl games for a while.
This sucks, say what you want I don't see us keeping up. Don't know the answer to that.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:21 am

Some of you just hate Clark and quite frankly will never change your mind on that. therefore I hope he wins 8 games keeps his job but doesn't win the SBC so you fans have to live in purgatory….. Bad post man

I think people are in crisis mode. Y’all can debate every play, play call, game plan, game, y’all can debate anything you want. Both sides can be right. It’s not one play, it’s not one game. Yeah less people were concerned after UNC because it’s one loss against a P5. Now it’s exactly the same as last year which sucked. Nobody hates the coach. I love the coach.

I hate that this school that thrives from success on the football field is not having success on the football field. We haven’t been good (and some people will debate that). But 4-6 last year against FBS, 1-2 so far this year and lost last 2 games of 21. That’s 5-10 in our last 15 FBS games. So from our seat, where all we can do is cheer, the natural instinct is to blame the folks in charge.I’m not ready to say fire Clark, but we really need to get to a bowl game this year and have a winning record so we can demonstrate success on the football field.

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:24 am

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:21 am
Some of you just hate Clark and quite frankly will never change your mind on that. therefore I hope he wins 8 games keeps his job but doesn't win the SBC so you fans have to live in purgatory….. Bad post man

I think people are in crisis mode. Y’all can debate every play, play call, game plan, game, y’all can debate anything you want. Both sides can be right. It’s not one play, it’s not one game. Yeah less people were concerned after UNC because it’s one loss against a P5. Now it’s exactly the same as last year which sucked. Nobody hates the coach. I love the coach.

I hate that this school that thrives from success on the football field is not having success on the football field. We haven’t been good (and some people will debate that). But 4-6 last year against FBS, 1-2 so far this year and lost last 2 games of 21. That’s 5-10 in our last 15 FBS games. So from our seat, where all we can do is cheer, the natural instinct is to blame the folks in charge.I’m not ready to say fire Clark, but we really need to get to a bowl game this year and have a winning record so we can demonstrate success on the football field.
Fan support, brand recognition, media attention have never been higher for this program. We had the highest attendance in the SBC this year in an opening FCS game after a 6-6 year. The longer SC stays in control the longer DG is letting a great thing go to waste. He’s getting to ride on the coattails of the vibes of the university/community as a whole.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:30 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:08 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:59 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Those that defend him don't see the big picture. They only want to look at one game at a time. We lose, they say it's the players who didn't execute, they win then it's "What were you saying again about Clark?"

They also dismiss things in the past, and make excuses as if adversity, COVID, etc. have only impacted App State football in the past, and that no head coach has or ever could overcome those situations.
Especially when your strength is supposed to be running the ball and you are a 3 point dog on the road. You play aggressive and go for the TD.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:30 am

We should be the better team and favorite in the first 4 conference games. Correct some offensive issues and take care of business to set up a huge home game with the Herd. Not counting any wins but the schedule is favorable right now. Front loaded with the "easier" games. Hopefully this was just one of those stinkers.

Where is our back Marshall? He would probably help on some short yardage plays.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:32 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 am
I looked back at 2016 as an example. We went 10-3 and people thought we were fantastic. We beat Savannah State, ODU who had just moved up, Idaho, New Mexico State, got throttled by Miami at home and beat some bad Belt teams. I'll rephrase the earlier question. Since the 2016 season how many "quality wins" do we have- the opponent finished with at least 7 wins (just use that as a base) and how many bad losses (the opponent finished with a .500 or worse final record)? I'm guessing that we have more bad losses than quality wins. We beat CCU when they were ranked. After that what?
This is a great post...

Satt coached against 5 ranked teams during his total tenure.

Clark coached against 3 ranked teams alone on one season. And the SBC the last 3 seasons has had multiple top 25 ranked teams, ULL, Coastal. It's a different tax bracket Clark is coaching in.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:38 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:32 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 am
This is a great post...

Satt coached against 5 ranked teams during his total tenure.

Clark coached against 3 ranked teams alone on one season. And the SBC the last 3 seasons has had multiple top 25 ranked teams, ULL, Coastal. It's a different tax bracket Clark is coaching in.
So because the Sun Belt has grown tougher, we just sit back and have pity for Clark, and not talk about his inabilities to keep up? I think it just goes to show even more he's not the right person for the job long term.
Last edited by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:39 am

A tax bracket App created. You leave that part out conveniently. We set the standard for the last two decades, some of us aren’t as willing to concede the crown. Sorry that bothers you.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”