Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Future Non-Conference Opponents

kornegaylw
School: Appalachian State

Future Non-Conference Opponents

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:24 pm

We seem to have a fairly open non-conference schedule startin in 2025...Are we struggling to have decent programs agree to scheduel us? Has our success really come back to bite us and are decent programs really that unwilling to play us?

Other than the in state teams I'm sure DGs preference is to schedule peer or higher institutions east of the Mississippi that we haven't played in recent history and that we have at least a marginal chance of beating (For example not Alabama)...We all know who these teams are and the longer we go without an annoucement the stronger my suspicion gets that programs are just not picking up the phone when we call.

Tru2ASU

Re: Future Non-Conference Opponents

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:37 pm

Check fbschedules.com

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:43 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:37 pm
Check fbschedules.com
It’s only showing State and Toledo.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:29 pm

There is others past ‘25. SC, CLT, etc.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:28 pm

SC, NCSU and Toledo are great...But where is the rest? We have to play somebody those weeks and the longer we go without a dance partner the less likely it is we have a partner

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:15 am

There’s another thread on the 2025 schedule where it sounds like App does have a game for 2025 week 1 on the books now, and just need to add an FCS opponent. 2026 can be finished off with an FCS opponent as well.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:24 am

Also good to have some flexibility with the schedule. Indiana just paid Louisville 1 million dollars to back out of 2 scheduled games. Not saying we could face one or the other, but stuff like this opens doors for other types of games to happen...

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:39 am

Tru2ASU wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:24 am
Also good to have some flexibility with the schedule. Indiana just paid Louisville 1 million dollars to back out of 2 scheduled games. Not saying we could face one or the other, but stuff like this opens doors for other types of games to happen...
Serious question....If we signed the one non FCS game and another opportunity came up to play Indiana or Louisville, would you be willing to forgo an FCS opponent that year to have the great schedule. I know as a fan I would want the schedule with no FCS games if the opportunity presented itself.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:27 am

^ YES!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:19 am

Would be great if we could work it out for a return visit in Boone.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:40 am

Sure. Any body, any place, any time.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:27 am

I'm wondering how much conference expansion is going to mess with this down the road. The SEC has already talked about playing one less non-conf game in favor of 1 more conference game, and I'd be surprised if that didn't happen. Hoping we can still get some good P5 (or now P2 and a half?) games. Plenty of great G5 opportunities still....really psyched for Wyoming this Sat.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:30 am

My fear is they’ll argue that they should keep the easy FCS game because they’re adding a tough conference game this squeezing the G5s out. Maybe not every year but some years.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:31 pm

I wouldn't mind a 9 game sbc schedule

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:39 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:39 am
Tru2ASU wrote:
Serious question....If we signed the one non FCS game and another opportunity came up to play Indiana or Louisville, would you be willing to forgo an FCS opponent that year to have the great schedule. I know as a fan I would want the schedule with no FCS games if the opportunity presented itself.
Players would too. It’s more fun going to play a solid P5 vs Morgan State at home. Coastal schedules weak to rack up wins, let’s not be Coastal.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:06 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tru2ASU wrote:
Only if there is a return trip to Boone in the offer. Neither Indiana or Louisville are at a level within P5 to not have some sort of home and home structure in place in my opinion.

The week those two were scheduled to play is the same week we host NC State, and I don't see that being moved. I know some think NC State will back out, which they always could, but already have FCS Campbell on the schedule so scheduling another FCS does them no good, and in less than 2 years when most schools already have plans in place with future opponents, it be a challenge for them to find another game in my opinion.

Louisiana, Coastal, ULM, Southern Mississippi, and App are the only Sun Belt schools currently with openings on September 13th in 2025. I know Sun Belt will schedule teams during the traditional non-conference month of September, but not sure how that works, or who we would play from the west that year to know if ULM, Louisiana, or Southern Mississippi would even be possibilities. I think if we get scheduled a Sun Belt game, then that likely pushes the chances of a later in the season FCS opponent as a likely opponent. If it didn't work out for the 13th to be a conference game, DG is probably looking into a home and home situation where we'd be on the road for the first meeting in 2025.

Week 1 game seems to be in place, just needs to be formally announced at this point.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:02 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:06 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Tru2ASU wrote:
Only if there is a return trip to Boone in the offer. Neither Indiana or Louisville are at a level within P5 to not have some sort of home and home structure in place in my opinion.

The week those two were scheduled to play is the same week we host NC State, and I don't see that being moved. I know some think NC State will back out, which they always could, but already have FCS Campbell on the schedule so scheduling another FCS does them no good, and in less than 2 years when most schools already have plans in place with future opponents, it be a challenge for them to find another game in my opinion.

Louisiana, Coastal, ULM, Southern Mississippi, and App are the only Sun Belt schools currently with openings on September 13th in 2025. I know Sun Belt will schedule teams during the traditional non-conference month of September, but not sure how that works, or who we would play from the west that year to know if ULM, Louisiana, or Southern Mississippi would even be possibilities. I think if we get scheduled a Sun Belt game, then that likely pushes the chances of a later in the season FCS opponent as a likely opponent. If it didn't work out for the 13th to be a conference game, DG is probably looking into a home and home situation where we'd be on the road for the first meeting in 2025.

Week 1 game seems to be in place, just needs to be formally announced at this point.
Indiana/Louisville situation used as an example only, of not having all your non-conference games accounted for several years in advance, things can happen. Not expecting either.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:36 am

Anyone, anywhere, anytime. As long as there's a home and home in it for us. 🤔

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”