Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Post-Game

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Wyoming Post-Game

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am

OK - I just don't want to go back through all the gameday posts - I never check-in nor post during a game -
1. Nobody reasonably thought we would playing in the NY6 game - Correct?
2. The realistic goal of conference championship is still 100% in front of us
3. Bowl game opportunities are going to be there
As for the Wyoming game I am sure many will have comments many possibly in the other threads but feel free to add here.
For me - It was a crushing defeat but, please, take my word for it, as a 70+ year fan of WVU, I and all WV fans have witnessed so many games ending like this - "the only way we are going to lose this game is this if ...................................."

- I thought we had a perfect game plan - beating them at their own game controlling the ball, working the clock, everything but we settled for FGs
- I'm sure some will have comments about coaching so go to it - personally, only a couple of play calls confused me
- The Defense was the best I have seen in some time - swarming to the ball, great coverage and solid tackling - Minus the 75 yd run (which we can't erase) they we held to 125 Total Yards - this team that the announcers continually reminded us could absolutely win the MW title ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Post-Game

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:07 am

Lipstick on a pig. I guess that’s all we can do at this point!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:22 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am
OK - I just don't want to go back through all the gameday posts - I never check-in nor post during a game -
As for the Wyoming game I am sure many will have comments many possibly in the other threads but feel free to add here.
For me - It was a crushing defeat but, please, take my word for it, as a 70+ year fan of WVU, I and all WV fans have witnessed so many games ending like this - "the only way we are going to lose this game is this if ...................................."

- I thought we had a perfect game plan - beating them at their own game controlling the ball, working the clock, everything but we settled for FGs
- I'm sure some will have comments about coaching so go to it - personally, only a couple of play calls confused me
- The Defense was the best I have seen in some time - swarming to the ball, great coverage and solid tackling - Minus the 75 yd run (which we can't erase) they we held to 125 Total Yards - this team that the announcers continually reminded us could absolutely win the MW title ---
Sorry why was NY6 not a reasonable stretch goal? Yes losing to unc in double OT was a big blow but the G5 race is wide open this year. Beating WYO was mandatory for that. But it’s ok to set lofty goals and not make them. I wish he would say that.

Personally I thought and think Clark has good game plans and prepares the team generally well(outside of UL 2021 and TXST). It’s his in game coaching that is atrocious. Burning the timeouts was inexcusable.

You can overlook the 4 fg despite questionable play calling in the red zone because we knew points were at a premium and our D was playing lights out but the TOs are 100% on clark

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:40 am

The apologists try to make Clark seem like Socrates.

His issues have been there since day one and haven’t changed. In 2020, we lost to three teams. The marshal game is what it is. The other two losses showed we were no longer the top SBC program under Clark. No SBC chip. The apologists prevailed.

In 2021, the Miami game was incredible, even with the loss. We redeemed ourselves against CCU and Marshal…barely. But then the Cajuns, who we lost to in 2020, kicked us in the nuts twice and took the chip. Then we got embarrassed in the bowl game. We have been on a steady slope down. The apologists railed the naysayers and prevailed again.

2022, Optimism to start the season with the wild UNC game and the W over a garbage Tammy team. We all know how that went. 4-6 against FBS teams. The apologists dug deep into their playbook to point to the next year because we were “rebuilding” and prevailed again.

2023…Here we are now. We have beat an FCS team, GW, that we let score 24 points on us. Then the L to UNC. Then a W against an absolute garbage ECU team who, btw only has one win….against, you guessed it…GW, and they never let GW score. Then, we inexplicably lose to Wyoming after nearly tripling their stats. But we still lost. The apologists are at it again…it’s not the coach; it must be the players, it's the fans, it’s the weather, it's the other coaches, is the uniforms, it’s another rebuilding year, it’s it’s it’s it’s …………

In season 4
0 conference Chips as HC
1-1 in Bowl games where he was the seasons’ HC
From the Chip loss in 2021 to now, we are 8-10, 5-10 when you take out the FCS teams.

JMU, Marshall, and GA ST. are still undefeated. Stink are 3-1. This is going to be a dogfight of a season, and if we don’t step up in every way possible, we are looking at a second 6-6 season. What will the apologists say then?

Let's hope for now that we right this ship and pull out 8-9 wins and a shot at the chip, but please, take off the black and gold glasses because we all need to see reality for the rest of this season.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:48 am

FWIW, most at the beginning of the year pegged us to lose the 2 games we have (even though we should have won both). Our expectations/standard have fallen in a short matter of time.

2-2 isn’t a bad position to be in after Wyoming, UNC, and EZU. But it doesn’t get any easier as after this. We better pony up and grow some kahonies and finish this slate off > .500.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:57 am

I am having a hard time understanding the negativity against Joey - I believe he has done a very good job - why would you want to go back to Ryan who has played one half of college football and has suffered with a broken finger for the last month - If Joey had really struggled it could be in the conversation - Joey has played very well in my opinion
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:25 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:40 am

JMU, Marshall, and GA ST. are still undefeated. Stink are 3-1. This is going to be a dogfight of a season, and if we don’t step up in every way possible, we are looking at a second 6-6 season. What will the apologists say then?

It’s sucks knowing we have the dogs for this fight, but not the handler

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:54 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:57 am
I am having a hard time understanding the negativity against Joey - I believe he has done a very good job - why would you want to go back to Ryan who has played one half of college football and has suffered with a broken finger for the last month - If Joey had really struggled it could be in the conversation - Joey has played very well in my opinion
It's the same group that thought Chase was an average to below average QB while he was one of the best passing QBs App has ever had. The back up QB is always the most popular player on the team after a loss. A story as old as time.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:55 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Joey is a weird one for me because I am not an insider. Examples:
Was the fumble throw and then a 2nd one where it was OPI and forward an improvisation or a call? If it was a call then I limit blame on Joey.
Last play of the game, was it called a screen and he decided to be a hero or worse panicked?
On that drive where we had to call TOs. Was it his inability to get set or the coaches inability to get the call in?

I think Joey is getting hate from folks who don’t want to blame coaches, but IMO all of the above was coaches and not Joey. Again I don’t know, but that is why I think Joey is getting some negatives today.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:59 am

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:55 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Was the fumble throw and then a 2nd one where it was OPI and forward an improvisation or a call? If it was a call then I limit blame on Joey.
Last play of the game, was it called a screen and he decided to be a hero or worse panicked?
On that drive where we had to call TO. Was it his inability to get set or the coaches inability to get the call in?

I think Joey is getting hate from folks who don’t want to blame coaches, but IMO all of the above was coaches and not Joey. Again I don’t know, but that is why I think Joey is getting some negatives today.
So ..all the above is coaches...so Coach Clark made QB throw a lame duck when the call was I screen to Noel I believe. Okay . Got it.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:10 pm

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:25 am
appdaze wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:40 am

It’s sucks knowing we have the dogs for this fight, but not the handler
Schedule matters here. JMU and Marshall are absolutely the top of the SBC East. GA State hasn’t played ANYBODY. I’ll start worrying about them when they are undefeated going into the game against App.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:11 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
On that drive where we had to call TOs. Was it his inability to get set or the coaches inability to get the call in?

The fumble by Davis was a designed lateral. And if Davis catches it, he's gone. Not on Joey.

The last play was a screen. That was on Joey.

On the last drive where we had to use timeouts, it was two fold. One of the time outs was because we wanted to see if Kaedin caught it and took too long to make the decision. The other was a mixture of Joey talking too long once he got the play call and the play call taking too long to get in.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt12

Unread post by AppSt12 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:

You do this every year. You sound like Shawn Clark. Making excuses like everything is ok. Its not buddy. We are average at best.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:22 pm

I'm not going to Bash those kids. From what I see we have the talent. There is some experience lacking especially at QB, not on Joey. He or Burger are probably pretty even in that. My concern is the growing number of head scratching calls and game management that has been plaguing us. I get we will have fumbles, interceptions missed and blocked field goals. Last night we had overcome all of those and still found a way to lose that game. It's a repeat of the last 3 years in 1 game. I don't think it gets better and we will be embarrassed in conference play this year. I sure hope I am wrong.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:27 pm

I’m still majorly disturbed learning HC overrules play calls at crucial points given his background.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:57 pm

There were two problems
1. We played like it was a confrence game and trying not to lose and called it that way too often.
2. Player execution.
With that said here is my absolute, main, frustration overwhelming question.
It is a NON CONFRENCE GAME!! Why the hell are you kicking FGs instead of going for it. Why are you not trying to win the game. Why are you not seeing if you can take the ball in when you are going to need to in confrence play. I am the first to say my coaching experience is in two non football diciplins so I am no expert but I just don't get it.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:13 pm

AppSt12 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Possibly because I have 70+ years experience with football - Also, I didn't see excuses - what your point?

You do this every year. You sound like Shawn Clark. Making excuses like everything is ok. Its not buddy. We are average at best.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:14 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:11 pm
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

The fumble by Davis was a designed lateral. And if Davis catches it, he's gone. Not on Joey.

The last play was a screen. That was on Joey.

On the last drive where we had to use timeouts, it was two fold. One of the time outs was because we wanted to see if Kaedin caught it and took too long to make the decision. The other was a mixture of Joey talking too long once he got the play call and the play call taking too long to get in.
Thanks - helpful. Man just wasn’t our day was it?

Hopefully our luck will flip soon.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:18 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:59 am
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
On that drive where we had to call TO. Was it his inability to get set or the coaches inability to get the call in?

So ..all the above is coaches...so Coach Clark made QB throw a lame duck when the call was I screen to Noel I believe. Okay . Got it.
Easy there buddy. Clearly said I am not an insider and I didn’t know. News seems to know and I trust him. He obviously respects our coaches and fights for them on here and I appreciate that. I’m not bashing the coaches, just trying to say we lost under weird statistical measures, somebody did mess up. I feel like we can make a bowl game and have a winning year and hopefully an even better year next year, but I’m trying to watch it play out before saying definitively who/what needs to improve.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:29 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Stats as a starter:
1-2 record
61/112 (55%)
5 TD, 3 INT
Avg of 60 QBR
18 carries, 75 yards, 1 TD
10 redzone trips - 4 TDs, 5 FGs, 1 INT

Joey has played good enough to win but hopefully these stats put into perspective the reality. When the field shrinks in the redzone, having a true dual threat QB makes everything easier.
Last edited by ASUFan4863 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”