Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Reset

ASUTodd
School: Appalachian State

Re: Reset

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:26 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:20 am
AppSt12 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:40 pm

I personally cant 'reset' what is acceptable simply because Shawn Clark has 0 in-game coaching ability.

Success to me would be an 11-3 season (only 1 more loss, but making the conference title game), winning the title game (i do happen to think we are slightly better than the best team in the west) and a bowl win in a weak bowl.

Of course this does feel impossible...but we cant become a fan base that accepts 6 or 7 win seasons.

In the 95 years of App State football we have an AVERAGE 8 (7.8 technically) wins per year (when adjusted for the modern 12 game schedule) at a 64.5% all time win percentage (15th best in the country).

Since 2005 (16 seasons when you take away the transitional 2013/2014 years where we werent eligible for playoffs/bowls and we redshirted tons of players to prepare for the move up) we have won:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
11 double digit win seasons
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins
Took 2 other AP top 10 to OT
6th best record in FBS since 2015
Most wins in G5 since 2015
5th best conference win percentage in FBS since 2015
1st best win percentage most conference titles of anyone since weve been in the sun belt

Some of you guys dont realize what our program is and act like we are Western Carolina. We are a big time program. The only thing we lack compared to our top competition is a NY6 bid...but from a consistincy standpoint...Boise State and NDSU are the only nonp5 programs that have a better resume than us.

Certainly our figures would be better if not for the Shawn Clark years...but we cant accept average. We are not average.
Clark has 2 of the 6 Bowl wins

Clark has a 65% winning percentage in 3.5 seasons - above the App State average of 64.5

Clark has a win over AP top 10 program Texas A and M

App State got ESPN Gameday here to Boone for the first time under Clark! Ya'll were kissing his tail that week mind you.

Clark is in the midst of flushing out the redshirts and COVID seniors that had great success in 2019, 2020, 2021 and now doing with his guys moving forward.

Clark is 19-3 in Kidd Brewer Stadium as the Head Ball Coach.

Clark has taken Mack Brown to the wire in 2 straight seasons and no loses to in state rivals ECU or Charlotte.

I'm out til next Tuesday night -- Go #TeamClark!!!

1.4 million to hire a new coach after you run Clark out of town, that Yosef membership, fancy Parking passes, beer at games and summer concert fundraising Dougie boy host will be going up up and away -- get ready to write the check -- no inheritance for little grandson Billy Bob in Claremont after PawPaw paid for a new Football coach!! 😂😂😂
I'm just gonna leave this past post of yours.....
Re: Fox fired
Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » March 16th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Go check the record from this season and look how many close games the team lead or was neck and neck in until the last 3-4 minutes and ended up losing. That’s certainly not a talent problem that’s a coaching/play calling/strategy problem."

So its ok to have that mentally when its basketball but not ok to feel this way when its football?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:40 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:26 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
AppSt12 wrote:

I personally cant 'reset' what is acceptable simply because Shawn Clark has 0 in-game coaching ability.

Success to me would be an 11-3 season (only 1 more loss, but making the conference title game), winning the title game (i do happen to think we are slightly better than the best team in the west) and a bowl win in a weak bowl.

Of course this does feel impossible...but we cant become a fan base that accepts 6 or 7 win seasons.

In the 95 years of App State football we have an AVERAGE 8 (7.8 technically) wins per year (when adjusted for the modern 12 game schedule) at a 64.5% all time win percentage (15th best in the country).

Since 2005 (16 seasons when you take away the transitional 2013/2014 years where we werent eligible for playoffs/bowls and we redshirted tons of players to prepare for the move up) we have won:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins
1st best win percentage most conference titles of anyone since weve been in the sun belt

Some of you guys dont realize what our program is and act like we are Western Carolina. We are a big time program. The only thing we lack compared to our top competition is a NY6 bid...but from a consistincy standpoint...Boise State and NDSU are the only nonp5 programs that have a better resume than us.

Certainly our figures would be better if not for the Shawn Clark years...but we cant accept average. We are not average.

Clark has a 65% winning percentage in 3.5 seasons - above the App State average of 64.5

App State got ESPN Gameday here to Boone for the first time under Clark! Ya'll were kissing his tail that week mind you.

Clark is in the midst of flushing out the redshirts and COVID seniors that had great success in 2019, 2020, 2021 and now doing with his guys moving forward.

Clark has taken Mack Brown to the wire in 2 straight seasons and no loses to in state rivals ECU or Charlotte.

1.4 million to hire a new coach after you run Clark out of town, that Yosef membership, fancy Parking passes, beer at games and summer concert fundraising Dougie boy host will be going up up and away -- get ready to write the check -- no inheritance for little grandson Billy Bob in Claremont after PawPaw paid for a new Football coach!! 😂😂😂

Go check the record from this season and look how many close games the team lead or was neck and neck in until the last 3-4 minutes and ended up losing. That’s certainly not a talent problem that’s a coaching/play calling/strategy problem."

So its ok to have that mentally when its basketball but not ok to feel this way when its football?
does the end of this game coaching not count? 1 min to go and we win?

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:41 pm

DenverOfTheEasts unquestioning loyalty to shawn Clark is beginning to be a little weird. I think he might be in love with him.
Last edited by yosef69 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:42 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:40 pm
ASUTodd wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
AppSt12 wrote:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins

does the end of this game coaching not count? 1 min to go and we win?
The end of the ULM game we did great with coaching. Can't complain. My point with the post was to show that he wants us to never question Clark but its ok for him to question other coaches...

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:54 am

ASUTodd wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
AppSt12 wrote:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins

Can Clark play a 2-3 zone defense? Can Clark control his kicker botch 2or 3 game ending kicks in 2022 from inside 30 yards.

Can Clark help that a little guy drops a two point pass vs UNC in 2022 that even you would catch at Granny's house over Thanksgiving...

You digging up a pass quotes from 4 years ago means I am winning and you are working too hard to refute me. And context is a big deal in bring up a small post and pasteing it.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:37 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:54 am
ASUTodd wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
AppSt12 wrote:

3 IAA National Titles
11 conference titles
plus two 9 win seasons
6-1 Bowl Record
2 AP Top 10 wins

Can Clark play a 2-3 zone defense? Can Clark control his kicker botch 2or 3 game ending kicks in 2022 from inside 30 yards.

Can Clark help that a little guy drops a two point pass vs UNC in 2022 that even you would catch at Granny's house over Thanksgiving...

You digging up a pass quotes from 4 years ago means I am winning and you are working too hard to refute me. And context is a big deal in bring up a small post and pasteing it.
That's not what it means at all.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:17 am

I don't get why people are scared of JMU and Marshall...but not GSU or GS. I think we will get a game from all four...including Coastal. The Sunbelt East is real. That being said, I think we run the table on the Sunbelt.

If our coach will pull the ball for a boot leg when the ends are crashing on our zone runs. Watch the replays of our games. Our zone run is not working because of being caught from behind from crashing ends.

This coach has to put some wrinkles on that zone run or it is going to be another 6 and 6 year.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:41 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:17 am
I don't get why people are scared of JMU and Marshall...but not GSU or GS. I think we will get a game from all four...including Coastal. The Sunbelt East is real. That being said, I think we run the table on the Sunbelt.

If our coach will pull the ball for a boot leg when the ends are crashing on our zone runs. Watch the replays of our games. Our zone run is not working because of being caught from behind from crashing ends.

This coach has to put some wrinkles on that zone run or it is going to be another 6 and 6 year.
Honestly, scared every week hahaha. JMU, Marshall and Southern are actually good and will be favored. Georgia State will be an even matchup.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:50 am

311neers wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:41 am
spacemonkey wrote:

Honestly, scared every week hahaha. JMU, Marshall and Southern are actually good and will be favored. Georgia State will be an even matchup.
The Sunbelt East should be -3 for each Home team. Home field advantage is worth three points to odds makers. Coastal is my 6th and ODU is my 7 but they are both capable of winning games in the east.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:48 am

pop5app wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:48 pm
Sorry fellas but we’re good enough to beat anyone and bad enough to loose to anyone. After 5 weeks I haven’t seen anything that shows me 6-6 won’t happen.
I could see 6-6 happening but I have been leaning towards 7-5 because I think we will beat someone we don't expect to beat. I do expect this to be a frustrating season where we see both good and bad. I will say though that is am 100% positive that Gillin will make a change if we go 6-6. After falling apart last year I don't think Gillin would accept 6-6. If we had gone 9-3 last year then Clark would be able to keep his job with a 6-6 record.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:12 pm

spacemonkey wrote:

Both of our qbs can run this year. It seems like over the course of CB years they forgot that we used to run a really good read option. I don’t really recall our qb doing it yet this year. If he will read the edge, that end can’t crash it every time. This is what was missing vs Wyoming. If we ran read option we win by 21.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:18 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:12 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

Both of our qbs can run this year. It seems like over the course of CB years they forgot that we used to run a really good read option. I don’t really recall our qb doing it yet this year. If he will read the edge, that end can’t crash it every time. This is what was missing vs Wyoming. If we ran read option we win by 21.
Pretty sure we ran it last week against ULM. Joey just rarely if ever keeps it. Lot of space ahead if he does. Not sure that was part of his game at Diablo Valley. May be wrong.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:24 pm

I loved when we ran that sort of triple option play. We ran the TE into the flat and our QB could hold, pitch or throw it

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:50 pm

AppDub wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:18 pm
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Pretty sure we ran it last week against ULM. Joey just rarely if ever keeps it. Lot of space ahead if he does. Not sure that was part of his game at Diablo Valley. May be wrong.
Joey has said himself, in interviews, that he is a pass first QB ...will run if he needs to. Thinking that maybe his past is not read option. .or he gave it to RB most times if read option.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:04 pm

I see alot of green grass in front of him on his reads. He will run up to the LOS and then dump if off 3-4 yards ahead when he has 10 in front. Would like to see him pull it down and run some of those.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:09 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:50 pm
AppDub wrote:
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Joey has said himself, in interviews, that he is a pass first QB ...will run if he needs to. Thinking that maybe his past is not read option. .or he gave it to RB most times if read option.
And nothing against our QB3, but we may be running less from that position because we are already at QB2. There's been times when he's had open field and still pulled up to pass the ball. Could be his style or that could be by design to limit hits.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:21 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:09 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:50 pm
AppDub wrote:
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

And nothing against our QB3, but we may be running less from that position because we are already at QB2. There's been times when he's had open field and still pulled up to pass the ball. Could be his style or that could be by design to limit hits.
Most of them I have been fine with.. there have been 2 or 3 3rd downs and 2 4th downs that I had wished he would have run...but, Easy for a fan on a couch to say.
#99ForPresident!!

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:30 pm

Just an average fan here; know I do know the level of football schemes that our coaching staff does. Why can't we be supportive of what we have. Do I want a 12-0 season, YES; but I just understand we do Very well with 3* athletes that buy into the program and play APP State football. We are the best in the nation at selling our brand. Just support the University and the future. Whining only helps us lose future recruits. Next week I pull for what we have on the field, coaches included.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:54 pm

I don't blame Joey. Offensive coordinator should call the boot leg from watching the defensive end crashing play after play.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:42 pm

It's not a bootleg. The whole idea is that QB has two or 3 choices on every play. It is on QB to make the decision. In that regard, the OC is calling an option for joey to run based upon what he sees.
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”