Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#TeamClark

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: #TeamClark

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:09 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:52 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:09 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:45 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:36 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:25 am

I want them on campus as well. Another change in our recruiting strategy that I think has hurt is trying to wrap it up a lot earlier. We use to find so many late gems and we have to be balanced by going after big time players who are coveted but also find those 2-3 diamonds in the rough that can become stars for us. We have put a lot of players in the NFL by doing that.
Surely you're not saying that, as a strategy, we shouldn't seek filling our needs earlier. Yes, we did used to get those late commits, but since the early signing period has been in effect, and now with the portal in full swing, nothing works the way it used to work. I don't know that those gems are still out there in today's world. In the old world, there were always some studs who were holding out for that possible P5 offer and lots of movement before signing day. I just think that, in today's world if you are still trying to fill needs in the High School recruiting market in February, you have likely missed the boat. I'm not saying never, but I can't imagine that being a strategy.

Hold a few spaces open for last minute or transfer but early commits are a good thing.
It's not holding the spaces that's the big deal, App State only has 1 major that these "portal kids" can technically transfer into 1) communications

It's the Progress toward degree rule where App kills their athletic programs in the new portal world, plus App State doesn't;t take C's -- only A's AND B's from other institutions.

Marshall, both Georgia schools, all the west division teams and coastal Carolina will take D's from another transcript. I would say ODU and JMU are a bit conservative but I wouldn't bet against them either.
Ivy League schools can't even recruit a player until they see their grades to make sure they can get in school so instead of recruiting first and then finding out on academics after they get their transcript so they don't waste time. We don't have as much time from portal opening to signing day so we can't do that as easily. That goes back to my point that Shawn should adjust and not dip in the portal as much so he is not left with a last minute opening because they can't get in school.
This isn't exactly true about the Ivy's. They do recruit based on previous years grades and tests scores AND the entry requirements for athletes is FAR FAR FAR lower than their regular entrance requirements. I have known several kids that were recruited by Ivys and they were tolda that they only needed a 3.5 to get in as football. None had presented their transcripts to the school prior to the recruitment. I can assure you that NOBODY except athletes gets into any Ivy with a 3.5 ever (my oldest went to Dartmouth so I am very well aware of the caliber of the student body).
I was told by someone at Harvard and Princeton that is involved in athletics about 7 years ago that they have to. Did it change or is that just for some Ivy League football programs and not all? I figured not all sports are like that but I know they don’t participate in playoffs to prevent football from overtaking academics. I know they still have a lot of rules like that which made me figure they still have to take high level academic players only.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:30 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:09 pm
t4pizza wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:36 am

Surely you're not saying that, as a strategy, we shouldn't seek filling our needs earlier. Yes, we did used to get those late commits, but since the early signing period has been in effect, and now with the portal in full swing, nothing works the way it used to work. I don't know that those gems are still out there in today's world. In the old world, there were always some studs who were holding out for that possible P5 offer and lots of movement before signing day. I just think that, in today's world if you are still trying to fill needs in the High School recruiting market in February, you have likely missed the boat. I'm not saying never, but I can't imagine that being a strategy.

Hold a few spaces open for last minute or transfer but early commits are a good thing.
It's not holding the spaces that's the big deal, App State only has 1 major that these "portal kids" can technically transfer into 1) communications

It's the Progress toward degree rule where App kills their athletic programs in the new portal world, plus App State doesn't;t take C's -- only A's AND B's from other institutions.

Marshall, both Georgia schools, all the west division teams and coastal Carolina will take D's from another transcript. I would say ODU and JMU are a bit conservative but I wouldn't bet against them either.
Ivy League schools can't even recruit a player until they see their grades to make sure they can get in school so instead of recruiting first and then finding out on academics after they get their transcript so they don't waste time. We don't have as much time from portal opening to signing day so we can't do that as easily. That goes back to my point that Shawn should adjust and not dip in the portal as much so he is not left with a last minute opening because they can't get in school.
This isn't exactly true about the Ivy's. They do recruit based on previous years grades and tests scores AND the entry requirements for athletes is FAR FAR FAR lower than their regular entrance requirements. I have known several kids that were recruited by Ivys and they were tolda that they only needed a 3.5 to get in as football. None had presented their transcripts to the school prior to the recruitment. I can assure you that NOBODY except athletes gets into any Ivy with a 3.5 ever (my oldest went to Dartmouth so I am very well aware of the caliber of the student body).
I was told by someone at Harvard and Princeton that is involved in athletics about 7 years ago that they have to. Did it change or is that just for some Ivy League football programs and not all? I figured not all sports are like that but I know they don’t participate in playoffs to prevent football from overtaking academics. I know they still have a lot of rules like that which made me figure they still have to take high level academic players only.
Harvard and Princeton might do it that way. I can speak to Columbia, Darthmouth, Penn as those were schools that recruited kids I know. In the end I am sure each school has their own system.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:33 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:30 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Harvard and Princeton might do it that way. I can speak to Columbia, Darthmouth, Penn as those were schools that recruited kids I know. In the end I am sure each school has their own system.
That is good to know. Thanks for that info! I remember asking them how they recruit and they told me that they look at transcript and ask which players would consider Ivy League. Before even watching film they could dwindle a senior class at a school from 12 to 1 or even 0 pretty quick. Their presidents wouldn’t let them take a player who couldn’t at least be on bottom end of regular students academically. I always thought the Ivy League should join playoffs but they said a lot would have to change for that and they would have to relax academic requirements to truly compete regularly.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:49 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:33 pm
t4pizza wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

That is good to know. Thanks for that info! I remember asking them how they recruit and they told me that they look at transcript and ask which players would consider Ivy League. Before even watching film they could dwindle a senior class at a school from 12 to 1 or even 0 pretty quick. Their presidents wouldn’t let them take a player who couldn’t at least be on bottom end of regular students academically. I always thought the Ivy League should join playoffs but they said a lot would have to change for that and they would have to relax academic requirements to truly compete regularly.
[/qu

I always thought they should do playoffs also. On a side note, I am kind of wondering if any of their big money alums will get an ego and decide that NIL will help them regain their historic place in the pantheon of college football. Truth is, the Ivys have more money than any school and if the desire were there, they could easily go FBS and pay for the best of the best. Who wouldn't go to Harvard and get paid while earning a degree that has a lifetime earning potential greater than most pro athletes. I doubt it ever happens but there is that potential. Hell, I called the SMU rebirth and all it took was a couple hundred million in donations for them to be back in big boy football. Sadly, money talks now even louder than it ever has.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:20 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:49 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:33 pm
t4pizza wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

[/qu

I always thought they should do playoffs also. On a side note, I am kind of wondering if any of their big money alums will get an ego and decide that NIL will help them regain their historic place in the pantheon of college football. Truth is, the Ivys have more money than any school and if the desire were there, they could easily go FBS and pay for the best of the best. Who wouldn't go to Harvard and get paid while earning a degree that has a lifetime earning potential greater than most pro athletes. I doubt it ever happens but there is that potential. Hell, I called the SMU rebirth and all it took was a couple hundred million in donations for them to be back in big boy football. Sadly, money talks now even louder than it ever has.
If there is no turnover in the Ivy League among presidents or they don't change their minds it will not happen but you are right that they could do it. If they ever decide to wake up and become a football power again they could certainly do it. I wonder if some top players would just be afraid of the academics side no matter how much they offer though? I could see Harvard, Yale, and Princeton becoming powers again for sure.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:38 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:32 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:45 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:12 am
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:53 pm
Clark has been coach for 4 years. Assistant coaching turnover and losing recruits is on him too. He’s the head coach.
Assistant coaching turnover comes down to App State doesn't squat and you not keeping someone who is going to a P5, you are just being kinda stupid at this point over that topic.

Everyone loses recruits in every sport, you're making up something that isn't relevant or close to topic.
Outside of Tony Petersen, who I believe was going to be let go annyways, which assistants of Clark’s have moved on to a P5, let alone anywhere else? Best I recall, all coaching turnover has been due to Clark having to move on from guys who aren’t working out.
Peterson ==== Illinois (whether you THINK he was going to get fired is a rumor debate, they won 9 games with him as OC, #TeamClark wasn't going to fire him just because the CircleofFakes and this board wanted it.

Barbay +=== Mississippi State (Barbay replaced Ponce) and then Ponce came back this year...

Ponce ==== Miami (Ponce replaced Peterson)

Another D line coach went to Army

Old guy(former Western Carolina Head Coach and Jerry Moore assistant) went with Satt to Louisville.

Several young guys have moved that may have been GA's or analyst under #TeamClark

Jeep wade left last year for ===== Ga Tech.

You guys asking me questions like this shows you guys don't even "KNOW" your on program...
Yeah I was thinking position coaches under #TeamClark. But yeah, only you know the program.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:09 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:38 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Clark has been coach for 4 years. Assistant coaching turnover and losing recruits is on him too. He’s the head coach.
Assistant coaching turnover comes down to App State doesn't squat and you not keeping someone who is going to a P5, you are just being kinda stupid at this point over that topic.

Everyone loses recruits in every sport, you're making up something that isn't relevant or close to topic.
Outside of Tony Petersen, who I believe was going to be let go annyways, which assistants of Clark’s have moved on to a P5, let alone anywhere else? Best I recall, all coaching turnover has been due to Clark having to move on from guys who aren’t working out.
Peterson ==== Illinois (whether you THINK he was going to get fired is a rumor debate, they won 9 games with him as OC, #TeamClark wasn't going to fire him just because the CircleofFakes and this board wanted it.

Barbay +=== Mississippi State (Barbay replaced Ponce) and then Ponce came back this year...

Old guy(former Western Carolina Head Coach and Jerry Moore assistant) went with Satt to Louisville.

Several young guys have moved that may have been GA's or analyst under #TeamClark

You guys asking me questions like this shows you guys don't even "KNOW" your on program...
Yeah I was thinking position coaches under #TeamClark. But yeah, only you know the program.
Braswell was the one who went to Army for 2 years. He coached outside LBs at App, then inside LBs at Army, which he is now doing with Satt at Cinci (he was formally quality control with Satt at Louisville before he came to App)

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:09 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:38 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

With the exception of Ponce and Barbay, most of the rest of the turnover WAS guys who Clark hired who weren’t working out. And Mississippi State fans aren’t exactly enthralled with Barbay right now. Geep Wade must be a super cool guy, because he hasn’t be a successful O-line coach anywhere.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:37 pm

I do wonder if Barbay still leaves if Mike Leach doesn't die?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:54 pm

Barbay issues right now is magnified by lack of talent....but fans gonna be fans on fan pages.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:34 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:54 pm
Barbay issues right now is magnified by lack of talent....but fans gonna be fans on fan pages.
They have talent, it’s just the kind of talent needed to run an air raid offense, and that’s not what Barbay does. No disrespect to Barbay bcuz he seems like a solid OC, but idk why Miss State hired someone who wasn’t going to continue the air raid.

Unread post by 8993 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:37 pm

I don't know... maybe I'm just not content with being average and letting all of the momentum we've built up the past few years disappear for the sake of keeping an average coach? That might make me the bad guy here, but we should treat this like any other job: if you don't meet or exceed expectations, somebody else will.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:49 am

I am still scratching my head trying to figure out the last season and half. This season had a better feel out the gate on progress. Costly mistakes have lost 2 games for sure. The 3rd from how its looking we were playing way over our head vs still undefeated Holes. The coastal game getting burned time after time in the air killed us. Outside of our secondary they had a good game on both sides of the ball from what I saw. I'll continue head scratching, still don't know how much of that is coaching or lack of talent in the defensive secondary. Then again lack of talented players falls on recruiting too. Once again, I'm getting my hopes up that the rest of season will be better than last. Could see 8-4 as top out. But if they continue getting burned over the top not expecting much 4-8 or 5-7 could be result. Not so sure we don't just go tempo and try to out run everyone. I actually have confidence on the offense. Would be fun to see some 60 point shoot outs. I'm rambling, sorry.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:03 am

I've tempered my expectations on the season. I will hold my opinions on the coach until the end of the season and can look at the cumulative results.

Lots of issues to fix. Do we make progress, or do we end up making the same mistakes through the end of the season?

Game planning. Do we "do what we do", or do we start game planning to adjust to our strengths and weaknesses? To the other teams strengths and weaknesses? Can we eliminate costly mistakes?

We shall see....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

AppSt91

Unread post by AppSt91 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:20 am

Looking a lot like last year. Team seems to have peaked within the first 3 games and then either stagnating or regressing from there. Don’t know what Clark’s fate will be at year end but I’d like to see Sloan hitch his wagon to another Chad Lunsford and ride out of town.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:06 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:56 pm
I hope and pray that Shawn has someone around him as smart as me to put this on paper in front of Dougie and the Circle of Fakes:

The following teams and the number of 5th year or older players, I researched each roster web site,(you are free to google this as well) the following numbers DO NOT INCLUDE normal seniors:

#17 - DUKE - has 25 Graduate Transfers, yes 25!!! probably the reason they are ranked and whipped Clemson.

JMU - 13 Graduate or 5th year seniors
MARSHALL - 13 Graduate or 5th year seniors
GA State - 14 Graduate or 5th year seniors

now here is where this sh*t gets good.....

Coastal Carolina has 31 Graduate or 5th year seniors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ga STINK University --- 31 Graduate or OLDER.
They have 11 players in their 6th year of COLLEGE!! and 1 player in his 7th year!! (this reminded me of a YosefCabin board member AppState95&97 😂😂)

Now, how many does #TeamClark/AppState have __________ only 7........

So I would say and continue to repeat myself this is the rebuild!!!!! leave him alone he is building it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides NO boosters going to ULM to support - App State Football will be taking a BUS to ODU.....
6 hours over and 6 hours back. I can make a case this is turning into the movie Major League. And you guys think you're a Big Time program. #TeamClark against the world including his admin, most fans and Circle of Fakes.

Little ole Appy is all you'll ever be.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:36 am

So, The Blowing Rocket, The Watauga Democrat and The student newspaper, The Appalachian were not there....okay
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:43 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:06 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
I hope and pray that Shawn has someone around him as smart as me to put this on paper in front of Dougie and the Circle of Fakes:

The following teams and the number of 5th year or older players, I researched each roster web site,(you are free to google this as well) the following numbers DO NOT INCLUDE normal seniors:

#17 - DUKE - has 25 Graduate Transfers, yes 25!!! probably the reason they are ranked and whipped Clemson.

They have 11 players in their 6th year of COLLEGE!! and 1 player in his 7th year!! (this reminded me of a YosefCabin board member AppState95&97 😂😂)

So I would say and continue to repeat myself this is the rebuild!!!!! leave him alone he is building it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides NO boosters going to ULM to support - App State Football will be taking a BUS to ODU.....
6 hours over and 6 hours back. I can make a case this is turning into the movie Major League. And you guys think you're a Big Time program. #TeamClark against the world including his admin, most fans and Circle of Fakes.

"You guys"..."you'll"...??? ...huh?.....Are you for App State or just a hardcore Clarkie ? .....this has become borderline cultish

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:02 am

canes_mj wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:43 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

"You guys"..."you'll"...??? ...huh?.....Are you for App State or just a hardcore Clarkie ? .....this has become borderline cultish
He’s a low life troll with nothing better to do than build up an online persona so people would believe his comments on an Internet forum about a team he doesn’t actually support. No life having loser

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:07 am

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:02 am
canes_mj wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:43 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

He’s a low life troll with nothing better to do than build up an online persona so people would believe his comments on an Internet forum about a team he doesn’t actually support. No life having loser
Every missing the point, name calling me a Troll and making fun of my grammar.....

You are missing the point and trying to turn this into me, where I have time and time again presented hard core FACTS of why #TeamClark does not have equal or better support that others in SBC are afforded.

See through my snarky/sarcasm comments to get to the truth. I make points, but I admit I present them like a prick, but it's a message board, so what.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”