Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

#TeamClark

appvette
School: Appalachian State

Re: #TeamClark

Unread post by appvette » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:44 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:07 am
Why is it so hard to say there were very legitimate questions about the job Clark did last year and the first eight games this season AND give him credit for the turn around over the last three games?
Bingo... Seems like everyone has to be on one extreme or the other.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:45 am

We are better than JMU .It took us awhile to get here, but here we are .We played a good game and beat them. But it wasn't some kind of hitting on all cylinders miraculous effort. We missed some plays and we made some .Solid win .

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:48 am

If we can rebuild the interior of the oline, next year could be special. Does Helms still have a year of eligibility? He's a senior, but I would think he still has his extra COVID year.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Why is it so hard to say there were very legitimate questions about the job Clark did last year and the first eight games this season AND give him credit for the turn around over the last three games?
The Chase Brice group in '22 ran out of steam -

The Joey Aguilar group on '23 took a bit to get going -

#TeamClark here to stay 95/97 get use to it.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:18 pm

appvette wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:44 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
It’s because we’re incapable of discussing nuance. It has to be “I’m right, you’re wrong, recognize my brilliance or go pound sand loser”.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:32 pm

I think we all had questions/concerns/doubts. It was reasonable to speculate what could happen at season's end given our start. What I never understood were those who called for his firing before we even reached the halfway point of the season. I had no divine knowledge that things would turn around, but I did keep 2014 in the back of mind as a reminder that the season is long. It also seemed that the team never gave up and neither did the coaches. We were in every game that we lost and and literally a play here or there could have made a huge difference in the outcome. I think last night proved that it truly can be a game of inches.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:49 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:18 pm
appvette wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
It’s because we’re incapable of discussing nuance. It has to be “I’m right, you’re wrong, recognize my brilliance or go pound sand loser”.
Yes. See the post previous to yours for a shining example.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:03 pm

Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:16 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:10 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:05 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 pm
Clark is the coach and needs to be the coach next season. Topics like this need to die
Nope
You gonna want to fire a coach any time we don’t play in the CCG? Any coach?
Since Clark arrived we’ve gone from class of the conference to just another team. You can’t look past the facts.
I could not disagree more. Coach Clark has 3 wins over ranked teams. How many Ws did Satterfield have as Apps coach over ranked teams? How many Ws did Drinkwitz have over ranked teams? We will wait for you to go find these facts. You can post them on this thread.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:20 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:03 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:16 pm
goapps93 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:10 pm
Pikapp79 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:05 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Clark is the coach and needs to be the coach next season. Topics like this need to die
Nope
You gonna want to fire a coach any time we don’t play in the CCG? Any coach?
Since Clark arrived we’ve gone from class of the conference to just another team. You can’t look past the facts.
I could not disagree more. Coach Clark has 3 wins over ranked teams. How many Ws did Satterfield have as Apps coach over ranked teams? How many Ws did Drinkwitz have over ranked teams? We will wait for you to go find these facts. You can post them on this thread.
The conference has gotten better overall at a much higher rate than App has taken a step back. Youth combined with lack of needed talent at key positions in original scheme were the greatest contributors to lack of success past couple of years, NOT coaches. Took some bumps to realize that a change in scheme (a scheme that has provided us dominance in the SB BTW) needed to be made. Which is very difficult for any coach that has full faith in their scheme & style of football.

Credit to both players & coaches to continue to work hard through patience to turn this season into a success.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:02 pm

Obviously most of the people here calling for his firing were shining examples of over reacting. I hesitate to ask but do any of you still believe that's the way to go? If so what exactly would be the plan?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:42 pm

There are less than half a dozen posters here that would still claim this season has been a “bad” one and they still want a change.

Many were asking for the staff to turn around the season and go 8-4 or 7-5 and win a bowl game.

After ODU that looked really tough and unlikely, in true Mountaineer fashion they fought back against the odds to meet those expectations.

But those that are want to lump the entire fanbase in the there was nothing the team could do to change my mind camp are using revisionist history.

Kudos to the grit of this team and so proud of them for overcoming tough odds after seven games.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:16 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:42 pm
There are less than half a dozen posters here that would still claim this season has been a “bad” one and they still want a change.

Many were asking for the staff to turn around the season and go 8-4 or 7-5 and win a bowl game.

After ODU that looked really tough and unlikely, in true Mountaineer fashion they fought back against the odds to meet those expectations.

But those that are want to lump the entire fanbase in the there was nothing the team could do to change my mind camp are using revisionist history.

Kudos to the grit of this team and so proud of them for overcoming tough odds after seven games.
Solid.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:32 pm

#TeamClark with a very good win over Gardner Webb (7-4) to start the season, which made the 1-AA playoffs.

Can't take any win for granted. Once upon a time 1-AA Appy beat Big Blue so there you go.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:28 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
I don't think that the questions are the point of disagreement. The fact that there were questions is pretty clear. It is the conclusions where most fans disagree. I don't think anybody is saying that mediocrity is ever the goal. Even 8-4, while not a bad season (hoping that's our regular season record after Saturday) is not the goal. Some concluded very firmly that Clark should be fired. It is my opinion that Clark was still in his learning curve which was absolutely an expectation from the beginning. He made good moves in the off-season and seem to be making strides. I get why some disagreed after some VERY disappointing losses. I do appreciate those who remain open enough to acknowledge the progress. The good news is that, with the turn-around, the App family is beginning to reconcile. Let's go enjoy some Eagle Dinner this Saturday!

GO APPS!

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:09 am

I've heard good coaches say that it's really hard to win football games. I really don't think that's an exaggerated statement. There is some misconception among some on here that App football is some G5 equivalent of Georgia. How many teams out there consistently win 9 or more games every season? If you look at this year and the past, say 5-9 years who has averaged 9 wins? I'm sure the list is small. It's all relative. We have seen those lists that get put on games from time to time that has App on the most wins since...

While we had a couple of disappointing losses and at least one pulled it out win an 8-4 (win Saturday) season is still pretty good. We all want undefeated but the reality is that App is right about even with several Belt schools and that's not terrible. Imagine if we were going through a Marshall season- started strong and fell apart.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:30 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
The Chase Brice group in '22 ran out of steam -

The Joey Aguilar group on '23 took a bit to get going -

#TeamClark here to stay 95/97 get use to it.
This is exactly why I think Matt Greenhaglh was the best hire of the offseason. We weren’t bullying teams last season like we are now, especially towards the end of the year. We ran out of gas, as you said. Look at what our DL did to JMU’s OL. We pushed them around all game & created havoc in their backfield. We had a ton of missed tackles for loss. Had we wrapped up the ball carrier (and caught all the dropped passes on both sides of the ball) we would’ve humiliated them. The score was much closer than the game. It should’ve been closer to what Boston Connor predicted. If we can retain this staff, we should be in good shape for a NY6 or playoff berth. I’m just glad that we don’t hear “fire Clark” or “let us bowl” anymore. Both were in need of bedtime.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:52 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Yeah, all the “”team this” or “team that” is nothing but divisive.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:59 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:18 pm
appvette wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
^This. The lack of clear information that comes out of the football and athletic offices makes it difficult to formulate an accurate opinion and creates a false sense of understanding. There is a great line from Michael Douglas’ character in American President. “People don’t drink the sand because they are thirsty. They drink the sand because they don’t know the difference.”

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:06 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:09 am
I've heard good coaches say that it's really hard to win football games. I really don't think that's an exaggerated statement. There is some misconception among some on here that App football is some G5 equivalent of Georgia. How many teams out there consistently win 9 or more games every season? If you look at this year and the past, say 5-9 years who has averaged 9 wins? I'm sure the list is small. It's all relative. We have seen those lists that get put on games from time to time that has App on the most wins since...

While we had a couple of disappointing losses and at least one pulled it out win an 8-4 (win Saturday) season is still pretty good. We all want undefeated but the reality is that App is right about even with several Belt schools and that's not terrible. Imagine if we were going through a Marshall season- started strong and fell apart.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25897&p=359205#p359205

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:20 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:06 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:09 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25897&p=359205#p359205
That was a good list and a reasonable criteria. We are looking like another "good" season that could get elevated with up to 3 more possible wins. Not too shabby.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”