Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Keep Joey 2024 - NIL

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Keep Joey 2024 - NIL

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:32 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:36 am
bcoach wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:48 am
appdaze wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:12 am
1. They are not kids.

2. They are adults.

3. They arr making adult decisions as adults.

4. This is how capitalism works all around you, every day.

A manager gets fired, some employees leave and some lose their jobs with them. A ceo moves companies, some employees follow them. They dont sit out a year. A business goes under or loses a bu ch of money and people lose their jobs. Not an eye is bat by onlookers. But college football players get treated like the capitalist labor force they are and all hell breaks loose.

NIL is a good thing. Lets these young adults make that money while they can, because most wont make the nfl.
If they are truly the capitalist labor force then do they need to pay taxes on scholorship and benifits?
Scholarship would be reimbursement of an expense. That wouldn't be taxable.
I don't think you could sell that one.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 am

If I donate and he leaves anyway do I get my money back?

You guys are idiots for donating to collectives. Ask South Carolina how much loyalty the $1m they paid Juice Wells bought.

If any player leaves they leave. I will absolutely not put a dime into any collective ever to pay a player.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:19 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 am

You guys are idiots for donating to collectives. Ask South Carolina how much loyalty the $1m they paid Juice Wells bought.

If any player leaves they leave. I will absolutely not put a dime into any collective ever to pay a player.
Agreed. I want Joey to stay but I am not donating to a collective to keep any player. The economy is so bad that I can't afford to give to a collective without stopping my YC donations and I won't do that. I understand him going if someone offers him 500k.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:53 am

APPdiesel wrote:

Agree. In my opinion, a collective would be better served to help keep the COA stipends in the hands of student athletes rather than give them more. Fund a year round training table and create a pantry stocked with everyday necessities.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:02 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:53 am
APPdiesel wrote:

Agree. In my opinion, a collective would be better served to help keep the COA stipends in the hands of student athletes rather than give them more. Fund a year round training table and create a pantry stocked with everyday necessities.
I am all for paying an athlete by the hour the same amount other working students are making because it is a Job....almost a full time job. I worked when I was at App to have spending money...there is no way I would have had time to work if I were an athlete and study. So...I am all for an hourly pay for these athletes.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:12 am

AppSt94 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Don't they already have a year round training table and pantry stocked with stuff, or is that only in season? I was under the impression that those things were year round already, or at least when they are in school (doubt spring break and between summer sessions).

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:30 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:19 am
APPdiesel wrote:

Agreed. I want Joey to stay but I am not donating to a collective to keep any player. The economy is so bad that I can't afford to give to a collective without stopping my YC donations and I won't do that. I understand him going if someone offers him 500k.
Exactly, people could throw their $500,000 into an NIL collective and then he’s offered 750 by someone else and he’s gone. And now their money is too.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:36 am

I posted this on another thread. Just break from the NCAA have a players association and team association. Do a collective bargaining agreement for revenue the school makes on merchandise and sales and same for the conference. Players get paid.... Max the number of times you can portal at one or two times. I'm sure other factors would go into this but this current crap can't be sustainable. Also if players can just up and portal away....shouldn't colleges be able to trade players? I mean....they want to be paid for the job. I know that last part is a stretch.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:39 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:02 am
AppSt94 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I am all for paying an athlete by the hour the same amount other working students are making because it is a Job....almost a full time job. I worked when I was at App to have spending money...there is no way I would have had time to work if I were an athlete and study. So...I am all for an hourly pay for these athletes.
Trainers have even less time than the athletes and they don't get scholorships either. Why do I never hear that they should be paid?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:53 am

Well we don’t need compliance staff anymore….😀

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:16 pm

College football is becoming just like the NFL. Who can assemble the best group of mercenaries every year. Colleges will soon be hiring people to work within their NIL (Cap) space.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:22 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:32 am
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appdaze wrote:
1. They are not kids.

2. They are adults.

A manager gets fired, some employees leave and some lose their jobs with them. A ceo moves companies, some employees follow them. They dont sit out a year. A business goes under or loses a bu ch of money and people lose their jobs. Not an eye is bat by onlookers. But college football players get treated like the capitalist labor force they are and all hell breaks loose.

NIL is a good thing. Lets these young adults make that money while they can, because most wont make the nfl.
If they are truly the capitalist labor force then do they need to pay taxes on scholorship and benifits?
No selling involved. That's what it is. It's the reimbursement of educaitonal expenses (tuition and other costs). Based on the question, if the student athlete is considered an employee because of NIL money, the scholarship would be a reimbursement and therefore non-taxable. Attending the university would be a requirement of the employment, so that's how the IRS code works (or would work in the hypothetical)

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:23 pm

ASU85Grad wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:16 pm
College football is becoming just like the NFL. Who can assemble the best group of mercenaries every year. Colleges will soon be hiring people to work within their NIL (Cap) space.
That is when I will be done if not sooner.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:25 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:53 am
Well we don’t need compliance staff anymore….😀
I am enjoying your funny side

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:26 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:12 am
AppSt94 wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Don't they already have a year round training table and pantry stocked with stuff, or is that only in season? I was under the impression that those things were year round already, or at least when they are in school (doubt spring break and between summer sessions).
I don’t believe that they get fed meals everyday but I could be wrong. As for the pantry part, I’m talking about toothbrushes, toothpaste,and toiletries that they don’t have to spend money on. And to be clear, I am talking about all athletes. Football to T&F. Take care of all of them or take care of none of them.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:29 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:22 pm
bcoach wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:32 am
Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
appdaze wrote:
1. They are not kids.

2. They are adults.

No selling involved. That's what it is. It's the reimbursement of educaitonal expenses (tuition and other costs). Based on the question, if the student athlete is considered an employee because of NIL money, the scholarship would be a reimbursement and therefore non-taxable. Attending the university would be a requirement of the employment, so that's how the IRS code works (or would work in the hypothetical)
Not completely sold but I'll accept that for now. So how about all the other benifits like room and board, clothing and tutors etc.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:32 pm

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:44 pm

We heard for the years the stories about the dirt poor student athletes who could not even afford to "buy a pizza" or to take their girlfriend out for a date. That was probably the absolute extreme. I don't doubt that many college athletes come from poor homes and perhaps sending a football player who is not paying for anything at school a couple hundred bucks a month might still be tough. I've never been against giving athletes some stipend but the dilemma was always do football players deserve more than women's field hockey? Does the third string kicker who probably won't ever play deserve more than the star QB? Nope but how do you make it fair and legal? Guess NIL took care of that. Remember the other story about the star at "big time U" who got paid to turn on the sprinklers or to wash the cars at the local dealership? Do all of these athletes receiving NIL actually lend their name, image or likeness to a business or are some simply paid through the collective? How exactly is this any different from the old days when a booster simply gave a guy an envelope with cash?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:00 pm

What do the collectives themselves get out of this? Anything? Genuinely asking because I don’t know.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:16 pm

This isn’t just for Joey. It’s about being serious to be compete in the college football playoff.

Everyone can come on here to complain about how CFB isn’t the same and this ruins the game or how they are never donating to a collective.

We will lose players to the portal. This doesn’t change that. This does enhance our ability to retain players and attract players. Either be a part of the solution or complain about the state of the world now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”