Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

we got a QB transfer from Texas

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: we got a QB transfer from Texas

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:13 pm

He was a prefered walk on at Texas.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:00 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:13 pm
He's listed as a signee for Texas on 247, and shows offers from Texas, Arkansas, Iowa State, NC State, Louisiana, UNT, Texas State, and UTSA. PWO's don't show as signees.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:03 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wrong

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:15 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:00 pm
bcoach wrote:
He's listed as a signee for Texas on 247, and shows offers from Texas, Arkansas, Iowa State, NC State, Louisiana, UNT, Texas State, and UTSA. PWO's don't show as signees.
My bad, I read too fast and missread the following
It’s also worth noting that Chip Brown of Horns247 on Sep. 13 mentioned that both Wright and the former walk-on and freshman quarterback Cole Lourd took the practice reps on Sep. 12 in place of Card.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:05 pm

Maybe Brice had similar QB accolades out of High School?
BLACK SATURDAY

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:13 pm

It seems given what we were looking for/in need of, he fits the bill. But, just because he came from Texas doesn't mean he is the automatic QB2. That's not to down play his talent, but until he hits the field here we don't know where he will fit in the QB landscape. I certainly trust Ponce to know what is needed for our system.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:06 pm

You really never know what a player can do until they are in a live game under fire especially an important game. There are guys who practice well and then melt when the real f as me starts and then there are the ones that shine when the lights are on. But you gotta show enough in practice for the coaches to give you a chance. Also if the guy in front of you is doing enough you may not get a chance. So some guys just need a break as well just so they can show out.

Remember Zac’s first game was at Penn State, Elder’s was at NC State and we know how the stories played out.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:20 pm

I used to coach a good bit of baseball when my boys played. Had some guys who would tout a kid as really good as he threw hard in the batting center. I would always say let's see how he does when people are watching and there is a batter in the box. Some still do ok some butt pucker and melt- and throw balls all over the place. Practice and games are entirely different animals.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:01 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:20 pm
I used to coach a good bit of baseball when my boys played. Had some guys who would tout a kid as really good as he threw hard in the batting center. I would always say let's see how he does when people are watching and there is a batter in the box. Some still do ok some butt pucker and melt- and throw balls all over the place. Practice and games are entirely different animals.
Yep

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:33 pm

"JUST A LITTLE OUTSIDE"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:55 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:20 pm
Just like when you watch a kicker hit a 55-yarder with room to spare in warmups but then miss a 44-yard kick when the game is on the line. It is a much different animal for sure.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 am

I agree with practice vs game. Saw it too when I help coach HS baseball. Now for me. I didn't play football at App, but we would always be out on the field playing around, kicking FGs and punting. I could punt from the 50 yard line and kick it in the end zone and out of the end zone most of the time. BUT.... I had no pads on, no fans in the stands, and didn't have 6'3' 230+ pounds of nothing but muscle trying to kill me. Put me in a game and I 100% bet my punts would suck.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:12 am

I never played much beyond Little League in baseball, was on a Middle School basketball team and played a little soccer and baseball in high school. I still recall even in those games feeling nervous, could feel my heart racing a bit and trying to calm down. It's got to be a huge challenge for any athlete at a high level to block out the crowd and the noise in order to perform. I'm amazed at kickers, golfers, guys at a free throw line and any other athlete who basically has all of those eyeballs on him/her in a clutch moment. When I was younger I could also punt a ball pretty good and often thought that I could have played but the thought of a crowd, the lights shining down and 10 dudes running at me would have made it impossible.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:15 am

And then the opposite - those players that practice poorly, but when the lights come on, they get it done. Those kind used to drive me up the wall.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:21 am

Bottomline, the coaches have a difficult job, especially with a position like QB, where it is totally make or break, single point of failure. Dude has to show enough in practice to give some confidence that they handle live game but also if the dude(s) in front of them are doing enough to not get pulled, well we all get the point. Do you pull a QB playing ok and give another guy a shot hoping for better or keep him in and hope he improves or doesn't lose it for you?

Remember Moore took a chance with Armanti and history was made. When Zac went down the next guy up didn't fare well under live game situation and proved he couldn't handle it so it was on to next guy. The Zac situation did confirm that coaches were right and he was the best guy in the group but it also allowed them to better wean out the 2's and 3's situation.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:06 pm

I like what his former teammate said about him, hard worker. looks like worst case scenario we got a guy who will push the players in front of him and be an all around good teammate. Especially in today’s environment there is no substitute for a good culture. It at least sounds like this young man will add to that good culture.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”