Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

5+7 model close to passing. G5 would still get screwed

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: 5+7 model close to passing. G5 would still get screwed

Unread post by biggie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:59 pm

KentHogan wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:24 pm
Apple@chin1 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:54 am
https://collegefootballnetwork.com/coll ... rojection/
App predicted to make this year’s playoff by CFN.
That’s pretty cool. I still think we’ll need to go unbeaten to have a chance, but also depends on what other G5 teams have accomplished as well.
It would depend on what the rest of the SBC does as well to get us as the highest ranked G5 conf.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:59 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:42 pm
Currently, the gaudy, undefeated record is more important then SOS for the G5. Look no further than Lib last year. I love our P5 games, but id rather be in the Playoffs and play a lesser P5 then the Clemson's and UGA's of the world. Yes, that attitude would have not given us a match-up against Michigan, but that was a VERY different time. Win the division, win the Conference, Bowl game/Playoff spot. These can all be accomplished with a weaker OC conf. schedule now that the Belt is so strong.
Problem is we need the bigger P5's for the $ they can pay. Without the $ we can't afford to compete.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:51 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:59 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Currently, the gaudy, undefeated record is more important then SOS for the G5. Look no further than Lib last year. I love our P5 games, but id rather be in the Playoffs and play a lesser P5 then the Clemson's and UGA's of the world. Yes, that attitude would have not given us a match-up against Michigan, but that was a VERY different time. Win the division, win the Conference, Bowl game/Playoff spot. These can all be accomplished with a weaker OC conf. schedule now that the Belt is so strong.
Problem is we need the bigger P5's for the $ they can pay. Without the $ we can't afford to compete.
There was a time when we needed P5 money games to pay the bills. But now that we’re averaging 35,000 to Kidd Brewer, we can generate almost as much revenue by staying home. Those one-off games to Clemson and Tennessee and Penn State and Texas A&M will be less frequent.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:59 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:51 pm
mike87 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
There was a time when we needed P5 money games to pay the bills. But now that we’re averaging 35,000 to Kidd Brewer, we can generate almost as much revenue by staying home. Those one-off games to Clemson and Tennessee and Penn State will be less frequent.
You really are only as good as the teams you play.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:06 pm

biggie wrote:
KentHogan wrote:
Apple@chin1 wrote:
That’s pretty cool. I still think we’ll need to go unbeaten to have a chance, but also depends on what other G5 teams have accomplished as well.
It would depend on what the rest of the SBC does as well to get us as the highest ranked G5 conf.
It is the highest rated G5 champion. Not the highest rated conference's champion. I THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:28 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:06 pm
biggie wrote:
KentHogan wrote:
Apple@chin1 wrote:
It is the highest rated G5 champion. Not the highest rated conference's champion. I THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't think of it that way. But the rest of SBC could still play a part based on our SOS.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:31 pm

Didn’t matter for liberty, just that 0 in the loss column. And the money for going to the playoffs would make up for any payday game, plus the exposure. I’m not saying go all scrubs, just saying that it’s something to think about.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 pm

I think we need to play more ECUs and Cincinnatis of the world. Throw in some UCFs and low hanging ACC fruit like Wake. While I love the big games, the name of the game has now been changed. We have to try to adapt to it.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:21 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:51 pm
mike87 wrote:
AppOrange wrote:
There was a time when we needed P5 money games to pay the bills. But now that we’re averaging 35,000 to Kidd Brewer, we can generate almost as much revenue by staying home. Those one-off games to Clemson and Tennessee and Penn State and Texas A&M will be less frequent.
true, but every game can't be at home and you gotta feed the machine every week.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:30 am

In general what is our cost for a conference trip to Texas State or South Alabama? I'm thinking of the road trips requiring buses to the airport, plane rides, hotel and meals for a couple of days. Those home gates are great but it can't be cheap to fly to those places and then play in front of 10,000 people.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:47 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:31 pm
Didn’t matter for liberty, just that 0 in the loss column. And the money for going to the playoffs would make up for any payday game, plus the exposure. I’m not saying go all scrubs, just saying that it’s something to think about.
I would still rather play a tough schedule with a Power 4 opponent, doesn’t have to be Alabama or Georgia, but we should play one each year in my opinion.

Plus, having those games on the schedule has to help with recruiting as well and adds to the excitement for the fan base.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm

KentHogan wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:47 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:31 pm
I would still rather play a tough schedule with a Power 4 opponent, doesn’t have to be Alabama or Georgia, but we should play one each year in my opinion.

Plus, having those games on the schedule has to help with recruiting as well and adds to the excitement for the fan base.
This was the point I was trying to make . . . we don't need a top 20 P4 win (which are always very difficult to come by) but a nice, middle of the road p4 gives us our greatest opportunity at the playoffs, especially with teams like Lib out there having their toughest game of the year be ODU.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:00 pm

Wouldn't it make sense for every G5, particularly the ones who are generally good to beef up their schedules and either play each other more or go after that decent power school? While the FCS games are usually good as tuneups they will do nothing for a national ranking which is necessary for a playoff shot. You can't do anything about your conference slate especially if everyone else stinks but those other 4 games are critical.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pm

I want to play 1 or 2 P’s each year. Not top 5 per se but would like a top 25 or two on our schedule. We need them and to beat them if we are really good enough to deserve CFP slot. I want App to be that good not because we slipped in the back door.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:12 pm

I was hoping for 1 year of the 6+6. It was a pipe dream I know but just seemed like the perfect scenario with our returning cast.

I do fail to see how allowing the highest ranked G5 conference champ a spot in the playoff is "screwing the G5". I think we should be realistic here. There is a stark difference between a nationally ranked Top 10 team vs a 2nd or 3rd ranked G5 conference champ.

All we need is a chance and we have that.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:21 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:12 pm
I was hoping for 1 year of the 6+6. It was a pipe dream I know but just seemed like the perfect scenario with our returning cast.

I do fail to see how allowing the highest ranked G5 conference champ a spot in the playoff is "screwing the G5". I think we should be realistic here. There is a stark difference between a nationally ranked Top 10 team vs a 2nd or 3rd ranked G5 conference champ.

Agree. Even though we know the reality I read that they have somewhat removed the G5 description from the qualifications for a spot. Isn't it the 5 highest rated conference champions? Until there is an official 5th P5 conference it's still a level playing field (so to speak). There are probably very few examples of a G5 beating a P5 team and then that same P5 team finishing in the top 10. Usually that P5 is generally not that good. Did that Notre Dame team Marshall beat finish in the top 10? The ultimate best scenario is to go undefeated and hope that a 3-4 loss team in a power conference wins their conference championship game.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:55 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:21 am
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:12 pm

Agree. Even though we know the reality I read that they have somewhat removed the G5 description from the qualifications for a spot. Isn't it the 5 highest rated conference champions? Until there is an official 5th P5 conference it's still a level playing field (so to speak). There are probably very few examples of a G5 beating a P5 team and then that same P5 team finishing in the top 10. Usually that P5 is generally not that good. Did that Notre Dame team Marshall beat finish in the top 10? The ultimate best scenario is to go undefeated and hope that a 3-4 loss team in a power conference wins their conference championship game.
How long until the bottom feeder “power” schools who maybe aren’t known for their football program decide to form their own conference to bring the P5 back?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:09 pm

I think a lot of the conference stuff is slowly dying away (if it hasn't already). Why not simply have sport specific conferences? We already see it for several Olympic sports. A G5 type that includes the 12 or so strongest teams would help to level the football field. Basketball probably doesn't matter as much but mid majors need to be more regionalized for travel expense and fan interest.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:20 pm

One option could be the ones that feel they are the top 40 money makers form a 20 team east and west conferences make a semi pro or minor league system. Then the rest of us could get back to college sports except athletes sign scholarship contracts that pay them tuition plus some extra and have a salary cap so no one can straight up buy a team. If a high school kid thinks they are a money maker then they can play in the semi pro league. If not then accept the contracts from the real college sports teams and get a quality education while you're at it.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:03 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:20 pm
One option could be the ones that feel they are the top 40 money makers form a 20 team east and west conferences make a semi pro or minor league system. Then the rest of us could get back to college sports except athletes sign scholarship contracts that pay them tuition plus some extra and have a salary cap so no one can straight up buy a team. If a high school kid thinks they are a money maker then they can play in the semi pro league. If not then accept the contracts from the real college sports teams and get a quality education while you're at it.
Ultimately there really isn't enough true talent to field that many teams and that's why each year there are really only (maybe) 8 great teams. It would almost be like these Spring pro leagues that keep popping up. They always have a few players who are legit but for the most part their product stinks. If they go too far and water down the top team and try to have some league of, say 20 teams there will be half of their rosters filled with guys who aren't really that good, just getting a relatively small check only to be without a degree and without a football job in a few years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”