Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What I learned today

appfury

What I learned today

Unread post by appfury » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:36 am

-The Citadel is a team on the rise, very good when they don't turn the ball over. They averaged 4 a game before today.
-Our D-line play is not up to standard. We got manhandled up front. We need more plays (tackles) from our d-line.
-Blalock, bless his heart, his mind is willing, but his body isn't able...He looks like he runs a 4.8/40, couple that with poor angles, that adds up to disaster for a safety. Time for a look at Henry Barnes??
-Our Offense is not very good, period. JJ is indecisive, and will not progress past his first option in the passing attack. Iknow some will disagree, just calling it like i see it. Offensive line still needs to grow up quick. Receivers are not open...a product of play design or execution? We are thin at RB, but that seems like the least of our issues on Offense.
-Playcalling...trying to be nice here, but so far, we look remakebly similar to ASU version 2010 and 2011. Did Armanti, make EVERYONE look better around him?
-Passing Game: No downfield stretch at all. I heard some post game comments that the Citadel was playing deep, but for the most part their safeties were playing 7 yards from the Line of Scrimmage. Me thinks they have scouted our dink and dunk passing attack all too well.
-IN-Game Adjustments: a novel idea, that I reccomend highly to our staff. We just seem stubborn to change once we decide our gameplan...How bout the 3-4, how bout a 5 -3 against the TO...HECK ANYTHING BUT WHAT WE ARE TRYING. Hello Tokyo, we are not effective in stopping the option, haven't been for a while.
-App Fans will not support a loser. Witnessed people leaving in the 1st Qtr. About got trampled at half time by the mass exodus...
-We are young and can only get better, go get the MOCS next week and lets get this train rolling again.

AppAttack

Re: What I learned today

Unread post by AppAttack » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:27 am

Good recap... We need to get Price back for that downfield threat, and Chisholm for that tough inside running. Play-calling needs to be opened up. We've lost a lot of players on defense due to injury, suspension/discipline, etc. It's starting to show. Maybe it's tough preparing for that offense in a week. A lot of this was a hangover from Montana and just not being prepared mentally to play yesterday. That was a big deal beating them after being denied a national championship game TWICE.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:30 pm

appfury wrote: -Passing Game: No downfield stretch at all. I heard some post game comments that the Citadel was playing deep, but for the most part their safeties were playing 7 yards from the Line of Scrimmage.
+1

I had to laugh during the game. When I "suggested" once more that ASU try a LONG pass, and someone said that we needed to stick to our same gameplan because otherwise we would "look" desperate, I said "We ARE desperate, and it's the only chance we have, but we won't even try it!"
WHY WHY WHY would a team stick with the same gameplan when (a) it's not working and (b) the team is down by 35 points?

:(

RichMtn

Unread post by RichMtn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:56 pm

I learned The Citadel had a heck of a game plan, one we didn't adjust to well for whatever reason. I understand they showed a different defensive front than what the offense practiced against all week. Sounds like they put a special effort into this preparing for this one...maybe they saw how decimated we were on defense, figured the young guys would struggle with contain and fighting off the blocks, wrapping up and driving on tackles. They may have seen this as their chance to end a long streak of frustration against us.

The toughest part of this is that we didn't really get off the mat. I knew this could be a game we'd lose, but the way it played out I never expected. I really felt at halftime that we'd make a go of it, despite what I had just witnessed. That first possession of the 3rd quarter was key.

The good news is, its September football - you get a chance to get beat, rise and fight again. Ought to be a big learning experience. Maybe this year we'll be that team hitting its stride in November. That said, of course, can't fall too far behind the 8-ball early.

WilkesCtyWildMan
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by WilkesCtyWildMan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:15 pm

We are all sad to lose a game at the rock. We were soundly beaten by a much better team. It's far to early in the season to give up. Cya next week!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:22 pm

As bad as it was (and it was REALLY bad) it was only one game and one loss. I don't think anyone goes undefeated in the SoCon this year, so App just has to get off the mat and get ready to play at Kidd Brewer East on Saturday. Hopefully App will play better against the more conventional offense of UTC and just remember to play one game at a time. They won a big game against Montana and lost a big one against Citdogs, now it's time to move on.

Go Apps. See you guys in Chatty on Saturday. 8-)

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:19 pm

It would be Kidd Brewer West, but you make a good point.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppScott89

Unread post by AppScott89 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:36 am

One of the things I noticed about our defensive line was that they were pushed back at least 2 yds every play. Even when it looked like we stopped them for no gain they got 2 yds. Guys if I remember correctly, when you play against a TO offense isn't the DE suppose to turn the QB back to the inside. Our outside LB and CB were never taking the correct angles on the QB and RB. If I can see this from Section 210, why can't the coaches see this from the press box.

On offense, I agree with the person who said JJ never looks through his progressions. He had wide open receivers several times. Also, sometimes I think they first 20 plays of the game are written in stone and the are not going to change them regardless of the situation.

Last thing, I hated seeing people leaving at halftime. We stayed until the end of the game. Yes it was painful, but the players need to see our support in bad times as well as good times.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 am

"One of the things I noticed about our defensive line was that they were pushed back at least 2 yds every play."

Part of that may be that Cit was doing a lot of cut blocking. Dline usually does not line up as tight when that is happening. I also saw our young guys looking around for the ball instead of going to their assignment.
Bring Your A Game!

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:17 pm

huskie3 wrote:"One of the things I noticed about our defensive line was that they were pushed back at least 2 yds every play."

Part of that may be that Cit was doing a lot of cut blocking. Dline usually does not line up as tight when that is happening. I also saw our young guys looking around for the ball instead of going to their assignment.
I think looking for the ball was the biggest reason we got trampled. I lost count of the times that a defender left his assignment to make a play on the ball, only to have it pitched to the player he was supposed to cover for a big gain, or they would anticipate the pitch and leave the QB who would kepp it for a big gain.

BrownHP800

Unread post by BrownHP800 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm

I also saw our young guys looking around for the ball instead of going to their assignment.
One thing I noticed is that they were very undisciplined on the pitch man. Seems that more often or not the defender who is responsible for the pitch man went for the QB and not wait for the pitch. Some times it was reversed and they all went for the pitch and the QB kept it and cut it up.

UTC should have more of a standard offense. I think our DL will look much better this week but they are really going to have to work on defending the TO.

It will be interesting to hear how intense practice is this week.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 am

MountainMan wrote:
appfury wrote: -Passing Game: No downfield stretch at all. I heard some post game comments that the Citadel was playing deep, but for the most part their safeties were playing 7 yards from the Line of Scrimmage.
+1

I had to laugh during the game. When I "suggested" once more that ASU try a LONG pass, and someone said that we needed to stick to our same gameplan because otherwise we would "look" desperate, I said "We ARE desperate, and it's the only chance we have, but we won't even try it!"
WHY WHY WHY would a team stick with the same gameplan when (a) it's not working and (b) the team is down by 35 points?

:(
I guess I am asking; why wouldn't the gameplan INCLUDE some down-field passes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”