The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Failure

T-Dog

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Failure

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 am

I was angry this week. So glad I wrote the UTC section on Friday.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeef/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AppGrad78
School: Appalachian State

Re: The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Failure

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:33 am

T-dog. I'm sure you're a nice person, but don't quit your day job. A 12-year-old could have written that crap. This board deserves better.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 am

T-Dog, I realize that you were / are angry over Saturday's loss; however, your contribution on the front page of Yosef's Cabin makes it appear that the entire fanbase is angry. When I saw the Yosef's Cabin feed on Facebook, I clicked the link and was sorely disappointed in what I saw.

I appreciate your willingness to write articles. I do not appreciate your attempt to lump all of us into your spoiled brat attitude. In the future, please be man enough to own your opinion as your own and present it as your opinion rather than using what purports to be official university letterhead to bash our football program.

For the record, I was not happy with Saturday's outcome. I am, however, adult enough to realize that some days are just not good at all. Also for the record, I will never attack a coach or a player in a wide open internet forum ... never. Believe me, there's nothing good that can come from that sort of ranting.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

philponder

Unread post by philponder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:15 am

Ridiculous. Embarassing. Get a clue and get a life.

philponder

Unread post by philponder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:17 am

...and another thing. If you're going to post crap like that, at least grow a set and post under your real name. Any gutless turd can throw crap from behind a message board moniker.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 am

Lost in all of this is how good a football The Citadel is. If you watched their Oline you saw a Junior and Senior ladened group of disciplined, detail oriented young men that taught our young Rfreshmen and Sophs a few lessons. Hopefully our guys will learn from the game and take out their frustrations on Chatty. The season is far from over. I have a feeling that, come November, as many as five teams will be in the mix for playoff spots including The Citadel and Samford.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 am

Ok let's all relax a bit. He's giving his time free of charge and posting free of charge. He's written some really great articles in the past. You guys are being a bit hypocritical coming on here telling him to quit jumping all over the team and coaches as they had a rough game, but then jumping all over him because he had a rough article. How about we practice what we preach and KINDLY let him know that you didn't agree with some of the aspects of the article instead of treating him like you felt he treated the team.

With that said I think it was a bit rough. Citadel beat #3 Georgia Southern a week ago. Are we really that bad or is the Citadel that good this year? I have to err on the side of the Citadel just might be that good this year.

philponder

Unread post by philponder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:32 am

appstate77 wrote:Lost in all of this is how good a football The Citadel is.
No kidding. Very interested to see what they can do with NCSU.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am

I don't even think it was that bad of an article overall. At least as far as accuracy goes. The fan base is disgruntled and rightly so. Seemed fairly representative of the mass consensus.

But I really didn't appreciate the shot at Jake Stroot. Every moto is a compilation last game's highlights mixed with an occasional movie clip or shots from a previous year's game with the upcoming opponent. What the hell do you expect? These videos sole purpose is to motivate the players. He puts them on youtube because I convinced him to (I think it adds a lot of hype to the fanbase and everyone loves them. The production value is incredible). FYI Jake himself has little to no part in the actual making of the films these days. He has 2-3 undergrad production assistants on that job while he oversees the important aspect of the job: the editing and distribution of game and practice footage to coaches as well as on-call technical support for the entire football wing of the athletic facility. That man is VERY overqualified to be a Appalachian and he stays here out of love for his Alma Mater. He has a wife and two young boys and works 60+ hours a week during the season, often sleeping in the office and pulling all nighters to help get those motivational done before the bus leaves ect.

To blame a pre game video as a contributing factor to the loss is absolutely asinine, but to insult Jake by name at all on the front page of a very popular fan blog is deplorable. I usually enjoy your stuff T-dog, but you hit a nerve with me on that one sentence. I would be defending you right now if not for that one, unnecessary addition.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am

I'm equally disappointed that the folks who run this board would allow this manure to run on the main page. Glenn and Rob, whose opinions I respect and appreciate, have done us a disservice in this instance.
Last edited by AppGrad78 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackangold4

Unread post by Blackangold4 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:55 am

As a video graduate I can tell you those videos are amazing pieces of work. They do an incredible job every week and I commend them on it. Attacking them is completely off base.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:58 am

AppGrad78 wrote:I'm equally disappointed that the folks who run this board would allow this manure to run on the main page. Glenn and Rob, whose opinions I respect and appreciate, have done us all a disservice.
I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think I did anyone a disservice by not censoring someone's opinion. I do not control the content on the main page, but I wouldn't have prevented it even if I did. I may not agree with all of it, but the real disservice would be to take it down just because I might not agree with all of it.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Blackangold4 wrote:As a video graduate I can tell you those videos are amazing pieces of work. They do an incredible job every week and I commend them on it. Attacking them is completely off base.
Agreed.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Good article T-Dog. Keep it up. F the haters...

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 pm

appst89 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:I'm equally disappointed that the folks who run this board would allow this manure to run on the main page. Glenn and Rob, whose opinions I respect and appreciate, have done us all a disservice.
I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think I did anyone a disservice by not censoring someone's opinion. I do not control the content on the main page, but I wouldn't have prevented it even if I did. I may not agree with all of it, but the real disservice would be to take it down just because I might not agree with all of it.
Glenn: As you probably know, I'm a big proponent of free speech. That's one of the things I like about this board. But of the many objectionable things about Mr. T-Dog's screed is that it ran as the centerpiece to this website, not as someone's random opinion buried within a thread but as if it were actually the opinion of those on this board (or those running the board), and it ran with a letterhead mocking the efforts of the team captains from a week ago. There are many on this board who possess good writing and analytical skills. I know you've solicited their help. Just because they haven't stepped forward doesn't mean you should publish work that only a 12-year-old would be proud of. We can do better.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Seems the "letter" has disappeared.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm

hapapp wrote:Seems the "letter" has disappeared.
That's an improvement. Now it is a little more clearly one person's opinion. I'm fine with that.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Got no issues with anything you wrote here. I did not see anything wrong with the sentence about Jake Stroot, we all think he does a great job, so no big deal.
This is the worst loss I have seen. This is a team we are supposed to beat. So many ramifications for the remaining year with other TO teams. Not sure why people cannot see that. What's worse is we laid down.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:35 pm

App91 wrote:Got no issues with anything you wrote here. I did not see anything wrong with the sentence about Jake Stroot, we all think he does a great job, so no big deal.
This is the worst loss I have seen. This is a team we are supposed to beat. So many ramifications for the remaining year with other TO teams. Not sure why people cannot see that. What's worse is we laid down.
I'm confused at how the video played a part in how badly the team played, and why Jake Stroot is mentioned by name as a contributor to the bad play because his video was not "inspiring."

First, how does T-dog know that it wasn't inspiring (is he simply speaking for himself)? Second, those videos are not only used as "hype" videos for the team, but also for the recruiting website. Third, if our team is relying on videos produced by someone that didn't play the game to be "inspired," then T-dog's anger would have been better directed at coaches because that is inexcusable.

It's a big deal when Jake Stroot is criticized by an anonymous person for reasons that he has no control over (i.e., not inspiring the team to play well). I don't begrudge anyone for having an opinion, but there's a time and a place to share it. T-dog's "article" where he criticizes while hiding behind a username is not the place.

FTR, I have no problem with T-dog and find his posts to generally be great. But, I think he may have gone a little too hard in this "article." Reasonable people can disagree, and as long as he makes it clear it's his opinion, then he is welcome to express it--especially if he posts it under his real name.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:09 pm

I don't know Jake, but I LOVE his work. Nothing gets me more hyped up than he does. I do think, however, this video thing is all blown out of proportion. T-Dog never raked Jake over the coals or said he did a horrible job or anything of that nature. He simply said the video was uninspiring (which is a matter of opinion) and that it focused on Montana as opposed to the upcoming game. I honestly believe he was trying to say that the program as a whole overlooked Citadel, not that Jake was the worst video producer that he's ever seen or anything remotely close to that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”