Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App and Boise State

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: App and Boise State

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 am

AppSt94 wrote:Getting $99.00 for 4 tickets is better than $0.00 and seeing aluminum on TV.
You mean like we did during the Howard game? We had special promotions for that one, too, you know.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:53 am

NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:Getting $99.00 for 4 tickets is better than $0.00 and seeing aluminum on TV.
True, but we should be in a position where we didn't have to virtually give away free seats. The CW on here that when we moved up attendance would "automatically" increase dramatically and we would be needing expansion within a couple years. Well we don't except in some people's dreams.
Did the clouds ruin your blood moon seance to bring back Roachel Laney?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:03 am

Boise benefits from pulling in players the PAC-12 wouldn't touch due to academics.

They also benefited from playing marketable games. They played and beat VaTech in DC and UGA in the Georgia Dome. However they don't just play all top-level teams in non-conference. They have home and homes with Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Rice, UL-Lafayette, Troy and play BYU every year. They schedule sensible when possible and win most their games.

Also, Boise State has six Friday games this year. Three at home.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:40 am

NewApp wrote:
True, but we should be in a position where we didn't have to virtually give away free seats. The CW on here that when we moved up attendance would "automatically" increase dramatically and we would be needing expansion within a couple years. Well we don't except in some people's dreams.
It's not really giving away tickets. Tickets cost what, $35.00 per? 4 for $99 is still $25 ish per. It's more of a family discount.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:59 am

AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
bcoach wrote:
S.Lewis15 wrote:I think Boise State is what every G5 team wants to emulate. Heck, they were even on the cover of the EA NCAA football game a couple years ago.
Will we ever reach that level? I hope so, but I think it will take quite a few years. If we stay at the top of the Sun Belt over that time, win games against top tier G5 teams and a few low to mid tier P5 teams, I can see us getting some National Attention especially if we do well in bowl games.

I couldn't help but take notice when the ASN announcers were talking about our team yesterday that they kept reminding fans that "this is the same team that beat Michigan and won 3 straight Nat'l Championships." Sure those were great things in our history, but this year's team and future teams have nothing to do with those events. Will we ever get past being known as the team who beat Michigan?
Well I was wondering the same thing. Same team? Different players, different head coach, different AD, different league. Different OC different DC What is the same?
Our commitment to fielding the best program possible.
Absolutely the commitment is the same but this team stands on its own. It deserves to be respected for their own accomplishments and not the accomplishments of a team from history. That is all I meant by my comment. This team deserves accolades of their own. They need not ride on anyone's coat tails.
Fair point, and I agree, but the commitment that got us here, the commitment that got a win over Michigan, is the same that has us with one of the 20 best overall (17th, maybe?) win percentages. It's the same commitment that will lead us on to whatever big thing lies ahead. Like the commercial says -- if we were a geico commercial -- "if you're Appalachian State, you win football games (and beat Michigan). It's who you are."
I agree 100% with the commitment I just wish we would drop the Michigan thing. It is ancient history and more recently we were paid back. We have done so much more than just beat Michigan I wish we would stop hanging our hat on that one game. Our commitment to excellence just goes so much farther than one game. But there is no doubt that the one constant in our program has been the commitment to excellence we have had.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:06 am

T-Dog wrote:Boise benefits from pulling in players the PAC-12 wouldn't touch due to academics.

They also benefited from playing marketable games. They played and beat VaTech in DC and UGA in the Georgia Dome. However they don't just play all top-level teams in non-conference. They have home and homes with Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Rice, UL-Lafayette, Troy and play BYU every year. They schedule sensible when possible and win most their games.

Also, Boise State has six Friday games this year. Three at home.
I had no idea. Friday nights? That is horrible. I would never ever support that.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:10 am

I thought Gillian (? Sp) made a great point in the ODU pre-game interview. ODU has sold out every home game since they put a team on the field. I think he said 13k season tickets. He made the point that we have a better longer tradition and put a better product on the field so there is no reason the rock should not be packed for every game. So I think the point being made about having to discount tickets to get people in the seats is valid. I think our AD sees attendance as a point of focus. Off topic but right now it looks like mother nature is not going to do us any favors this weekend. Still a few days out so keep fingers crossed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:14 am

NewApp wrote:

I don't recall seeing anyone say that. What I remember is that people said the move would give us the opportunity to draw better name opponents and that would boost attendance. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. The trend across the US is declining attendance at sporting events.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:04 am

AppinVA wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Did the clouds ruin your blood moon seance to bring back Roachel Laney?
What the H3LL does that mean, Richmond App :?: :?: You're the one obsessed with Roachel Laney, not me. We had 30,000 plus in KBS well after Laney left.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:10 am

appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I don't recall seeing anyone say that. What I remember is that people said the move would give us the opportunity to draw better name opponents and that would boost attendance. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. The trend across the US is declining attendance at sporting events.
I'm sorry that you don't recall several people saying that. Anyway, Wyoming should be a better opponent than Wofford for example and we sold out for the Terriers.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:20 am

appst89 wrote:Just one thing to note here, Boise St. is not in the Pac-12 right now because of their academic standards, or lack thereof. While emulating their success on the football field is something we'd all like to do,I don't think we want to sacrifice our integrity to do it.I'd rather we just carve out the AppState path to FBS success than following in someone else's tracks.

Amen, Glenn.
Google SUX

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:32 am

NewApp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I'm sorry that you don't recall several people saying that. Anyway, Wyoming should be a better opponent than Wofford for example and we sold out for the Terriers.
Perhaps you could find those predictions because I've searched and don't see them.

Highly doubtful. Wyoming is 0-4 this year and hasn't played well.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 am

appbio91 wrote:I thought Gillian (? Sp) made a great point in the ODU pre-game interview. ODU has sold out every home game since they put a team on the field. I think he said 13k season tickets. He made the point that we have a better longer tradition and put a better product on the field so there is no reason the rock should not be packed for every game. So I think the point being made about having to discount tickets to get people in the seats is valid. I think our AD sees attendance as a point of focus. Off topic but right now it looks like mother nature is not going to do us any favors this weekend. Still a few days out so keep fingers crossed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Here's where it hurts. At the Lake Norman Alumni Chapter Kickoff Event/Viewing Party (shameless plug), Brian Burns from the Yosef Club (he's the CLT region Regional Associate Development Officer), came to the event. He told me that the Catamount Club has almost double the members of the Yosef Club!!! While they may not raise the $$$ that we do, that's quite embarrassing. We need to build the YC participation rate.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:54 am

appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Perhaps you could find those predictions because I've searched and don't see them.

I was referring to the old Delphi board and the AGS board. Doug Glenn was one of them.

Regardless of the record, don't you think Wyoming being a flagship university doesn't have more name recognition than Wofford, which has what..2000 day students? Wofford is in the so called SmallCon and is FCS vs Wyoming being FBS.
Google SUX

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:04 am

NewApp wrote:Regardless of the record, don't you think Wyoming being a flagship university doesn't have more name recognition than Wofford, which has what..2000 day students? Wofford is in the so called SmallCon and is FCS vs Wyoming being FBS.
Nope. Wofford was a regional opponent with whom we had some memorable games and with whom our fanbase had a familiarity. Wyoming, flagship or not, is 1574 miles away and is 0-4 this season. Some of our fans may remember the beating they gave us in '04, but not enought o move the attendance needle.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:24 am

NewApp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

I was referring to the old Delphi board and the AGS board. Doug Glenn was one of them.

Regardless of the record, don't you think Wyoming being a flagship university doesn't have more name recognition than Wofford, which has what..2000 day students? Wofford is in the so called SmallCon and is FCS vs Wyoming being FBS.
Nobody ever said we would sell out for every game. As Glenn pointed out everyone said we would have the chance to host better games and draw more for those opponents. Can you honestly tell me our fans won't be more excited about Wake Forest and Marshall coming to Boone than Wofford and Elon?

Our attendance has slipped for several reasons and none of them are due to who we are playing. The hysteria from the NC's and Michigan win has worn off, our record had declined for several years starting in 2011, the coaching change, terrible weather last year, and every game is now televised. Now I am excited to have better TV coverage (our games on ESPN2 are an example), but many of our fans are either too cheap or too lazy to drive up when all they have to do is watch ESPN3.

If people want to see the program grow they have to take ownership, and get to Boone for every game NO EXCUSES. Bandwagon fans don't build a program.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 am

Funny that some people are complaining the reason people aren't coming is our tickets are too cheap...and that somehow devalues our football product.

Everyone wants immediacy with everything. We IMMEDIATELY want better OOC games. IMMEDIATELY want 40,000 seats. IMMEDIATELY want sell out crowds. IMMEDIATELY want the access bowl. IMMEDIATELY want what Boise has. Newsflash all of those things take years to build. New league, new opponents hundreds of miles away, slumping win totals, lingering hard feelings over Jerry, all of those things contribute to slumping attendance. I get it, this is a message board, we're fans, and we have the luxury of being rash and reactionary but I'm glad our administration is a little more level headed.

twitter.com/diesel933
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:06 am

Here is my 2 cents about stadium expansion. Now, I'm not saying huge, just a solid 30 "actual seats" and slightly upgraded facilities.

First of all, IMO, it will help draw slightly larger schools. Not huge, but more Wake Forest/Duke's....etc. If we can get just one larger home game a year, people will be more inclined to buy season tickets to ensure a seat for these larger games (especially at our affordable rates). Myself being in the target demographic (late 20's young professional/married); I do think we need to do more things to bring in my peers. Perhaps young alum specials/sections.

For those saying how will we pay for it? Think about it, if we are able to use the better venue to bring in more WF's/Dukes/ECU's; we can charge a little more of a premium for the ticket to offset the other games. For example:

24k for a lower game at 25/ticket = 600,000
lets say 33k for a "larger" game at 45/ticket = 1,485,000

......and that's a conservative price increase not including concession, apparel, etc sales. Also, if we can incorporate some classroom seating in the addition, we should be able to get more money from the state.

I'm just saying, it makes sense....IMO. Like the great Doug Gillin once stated "if you see a crane on campus, you're doing something right".

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:20 am

I'll also agree that stadium expansion is a major factor moving forward. The track, first and foremost needs to go as the stands are too far away from the field and the track is an eyesore. Move the field closer to the press box side and extend the seating on the visitor side closer to the field. The hill is also way too far away from the field. We already have a great environment for football, but if the fans are right on top of the action it would take the atmosphere to the next level.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:06 am

WHEN we add seating, (30-35 thousand), get rid of the track, move the stands closer, because of the mountains so close to the stadium, sound has no place to go, we will make 30 thousand sound like 60 thousand, it will be one of the most unique game day atmospheres in the country.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”