Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App and Boise State

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: App and Boise State

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:12 am

S.Lewis15 wrote:I'll also agree that stadium expansion is a major factor moving forward. The track, first and foremost needs to go as the stands are too far away from the field and the track is an eyesore. Move the field closer to the press box side and extend the seating on the visitor side closer to the field. The hill is also way too far away from the field. We already have a great environment for football, but if the fans are right on top of the action it would take the atmosphere to the next level.

How far away were Mountainer fans from the field in Clemson's 85,000 seat stadium a couple weeks ago?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:13 am

bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:Boise benefits from pulling in players the PAC-12 wouldn't touch due to academics.

They also benefited from playing marketable games. They played and beat VaTech in DC and UGA in the Georgia Dome. However they don't just play all top-level teams in non-conference. They have home and homes with Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Rice, UL-Lafayette, Troy and play BYU every year. They schedule sensible when possible and win most their games.

Also, Boise State has six Friday games this year. Three at home.
I had no idea. Friday nights? That is horrible. I would never ever support that.
Me either,bcoach.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:17 am

appbio91 wrote:I thought Gillian (? Sp) made a great point in the ODU pre-game interview. ODU has sold out every home game since they put a team on the field. I think he said 13k season tickets. He made the point that we have a better longer tradition and put a better product on the field so there is no reason the rock should not be packed for every game. So I think the point being made about having to discount tickets to get people in the seats is valid. I think our AD sees attendance as a point of focus. Off topic but right now it looks like mother nature is not going to do us any favors this weekend. Still a few days out so keep fingers crossed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I thought our resident professional meteorologist was tentatively predicting good weather for the game. Looking forward to him updating that tentative forecast. We are indeed fortunate in having his input during each season.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:19 am

appbio91 wrote:I thought Gillian (? Sp) made a great point in the ODU pre-game interview. ODU has sold out every home game since they put a team on the field. I think he said 13k season tickets. He made the point that we have a better longer tradition and put a better product on the field so there is no reason the rock should not be packed for every game. So I think the point being made about having to discount tickets to get people in the seats is valid. I think our AD sees attendance as a point of focus. Off topic but right now it looks like mother nature is not going to do us any favors this weekend. Still a few days out so keep fingers crossed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Thank you!
Google SUX

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:41 am

NewApp wrote:
S.Lewis15 wrote:I'll also agree that stadium expansion is a major factor moving forward. The track, first and foremost needs to go as the stands are too far away from the field and the track is an eyesore. Move the field closer to the press box side and extend the seating on the visitor side closer to the field. The hill is also way too far away from the field. We already have a great environment for football, but if the fans are right on top of the action it would take the atmosphere to the next level.

How far away were Mountainer fans from the field in Clemson's 85,000 seat stadium a couple weeks ago?
Not the point. Track isn't a good look. Recent quotes by current recruits reflect that. Track needs to be removed ASAP, an added bonus would be having the luxury to move the stands closer to the field.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:46 am

NewApp wrote: How far away were Mountainer fans from the field in Clemson's 85,000 seat stadium a couple weeks ago?
Mountaineer fans were a decent distance from the field in Clemson.. but Clemson fans were not.. I don't see how visiting fans distance from the field has anything to do with the argument for or against moving the track...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:56 am

NewApp wrote:
bcoach wrote:
T-Dog wrote:Boise benefits from pulling in players the PAC-12 wouldn't touch due to academics.

They also benefited from playing marketable games. They played and beat VaTech in DC and UGA in the Georgia Dome. However they don't just play all top-level teams in non-conference. They have home and homes with Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Rice, UL-Lafayette, Troy and play BYU every year. They schedule sensible when possible and win most their games.

Also, Boise State has six Friday games this year. Three at home.
I had no idea. Friday nights? That is horrible. I would never ever support that.
Me either,bcoach.
I don't think anyone wants Friday night games. I think we just want to be a premier
G5 program that others look up to, I.E. Boise St. Simple as that.

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:07 pm

NewApp wrote: How far away were Mountainer fans from the field in Clemson's 85,000 seat stadium a couple weeks ago?
Doesn't matter where our fans were sitting at an away game. Their fans were sitting closer to their field than our track does.

Last edited by S.Lewis15 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:18 pm

NewApp wrote:

We bought tickets through App and were quite close. Not that it's relevant to the discussion. Of course, I'm more measured. I'm not a fan of the track, but I'm also in support of a strategic KBS enhancement/expansion plan that has a phased approach triggered by measurable targets.

Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:22 pm

I don't buy for a minute the getting fans closer to field argument. If anyone is honest with themself, it's all about the appearance of looking high schoolish. It didn't seem to bother Armanti Edwards, Taylor Lamb, Dexter Jackson, Kevin Richardson, Dexter Coakley, Brian Quick, Corey Lynch, Tommy Sofield, Sparky Woods, Jerry Moore, Scott Satterfield, Jim Brakefield,et al when they chose to come to Appalachian State University in the first place. If some prima donna athlete chooses to not sign with Appalachian just because of a stinking track, let him or her go the hell somewhere else.
Google SUX

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:34 pm

brick+wall2.jpg
;)

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 pm

NewApp wrote:I don't buy for a minute the getting fans closer to field argument. If anyone is honest with themself, it's all about the appearance of looking high schoolish. It didn't seem to bother Armanti Edwards, Taylor Lamb, Dexter Jackson, Kevin Richardson, Dexter Coakley, Brian Quick, Corey Lynch, Tommy Sofield, Sparky Woods, Jerry Moore, Scott Satterfield, Jim Brakefield,et al when they chose to come to Appalachian State University in the first place. If some prima donna athlete chooses to not sign with Appalachian just because of a stinking track, let him or her go the hell somewhere else.
Obviously you don't have much of a clue of how college football works Cline, it works about the same way as being recruited by a company. Better benefits, salary, work space (ie, stadiums facilities, stadium atmosphere) leads to better employees (recruits/players). It's really not hard. Thank God no one in our athletic dept has your logic, if that's even what you can call it.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:53 pm

your logic is flawed, the reason why those guys didn't care about how the stadium looked is we were competing for their services mainly against other FCS programs whose stadiums were in worse shape than ours. Now, we are competing against schools willing to spend the money to upgrade their stadiums. Bottom line is our stadium was fine while we played in the FCS, now, with the quality of our competition at a higher level....not so much.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:02 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
NewApp wrote:I don't buy for a minute the getting fans closer to field argument. If anyone is honest with themself, it's all about the appearance of looking high schoolish. It didn't seem to bother Armanti Edwards, Taylor Lamb, Dexter Jackson, Kevin Richardson, Dexter Coakley, Brian Quick, Corey Lynch, Tommy Sofield, Sparky Woods, Jerry Moore, Scott Satterfield, Jim Brakefield,et al when they chose to come to Appalachian State University in the first place. If some prima donna athlete chooses to not sign with Appalachian just because of a stinking track, let him or her go the hell somewhere else.
Obviously you don't have much of a clue of how college football works Cline, it works about the same way as being recruited by a company. Better benefits, salary, work space (ie, stadiums facilities, stadium atmosphere) leads to better employees (recruits/players). It's really not hard. Thank God no one in our athletic dept has your logic, if that's even what you can call it.
John, Steve, Cathy, Sarah, and Tom work here! If some prima donna chooses to not work with our company just because we don't offer dental and a Roth IRA, let him or her go the hell somewhere else! :lol:

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Agreed, not really sure why this is such a big topic. Do i think we need to do it in a smart, cost effective, multi phased way? Of course! But it needs to be done.

As I mentioned earlier, if we can get one mid-tier P5 school to come most years, it will help with cost. Plus, stop talking about recruits. Look at donors, visiting schools and other alum. They see Appalachian investing to support our "premium" brand and more will invest and come to see what is going on up the mountain. The real key is to continue building a quality product on the field and if our product on the field is sub-par; a nicer stadium will still entice more people to come.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
John, Steve, Cathy, Sarah, and Tom work here! If some prima donna chooses to not work with our company just because we don't offer dental and a Roth IRA, let him or her go the hell somewhere else! :lol:
Well here is the difference. If you were interviewing someone for a job and they were not interested because of some thing like the track you probably would not want them. It would show how short sighted they were. Just not the kind of employee I would want to have. BUT. This is not a job interview. This is football and we have made a situation where these kids can sit back and call the shots. At the point where it is offer time we are not interviewing we are begging. It is kind of the opposite of business they are interviewing us not the reverse. Do I think it is pitiful that a kid would make a decision based on a track? Yep I sure do but we ( collage football and basketball ) have created a situation that we must now live with.

clayton

Unread post by clayton » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:23 pm

When the time comes, sliding the field towards the west-side stands and rebuilding the east-side stands seems to be the most logical move for stadium expansion. Not only would fans be closer to the field, but we could grow the stadium without killing Stadium Drive.

But, I think the bigger need (in reaching our goal of being like other successful G5 programs) is to make some smart TV deals.

I like seeing our games on CW/MY TV channels in Raleigh/Charlotte/Greensboro. If that can happen with some consistency and if it can get some promotion, then I'd imagine our games would be among the highest rated programming on those channels.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:30 pm

bcoach wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Well here is the difference. If you were interviewing someone for a job and they were not interested because of some thing like the track you probably would not want them. It would show how short sighted they were. Just not the kind of employee I would want to have. BUT. This is not a job interview. This is football and we have made a situation where these kids can sit back and call the shots. At the point where it is offer time we are not interviewing we are begging. It is kind of the opposite of business they are interviewing us not the reverse. Do I think it is pitiful that a kid would make a decision based on a track? Yep I sure do but we ( collage football and basketball ) have created a situation that we must now live with.

I'm not talking about interviewing with a company, I'm talking about them recruiting you; there's a difference between the two. If you don't understand the analogy I can't do much to help you. These things matter to a 17 year old kid, as they should. People like nice things

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

I'm not talking about interviewing with a company, I'm talking about them recruiting you; there's a difference between the two. If you don't understand the analogy I can't do much to help you. These things matter to a 17 year old kid, as they should. People like nice things
I think that is what I just said.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Yes, lets tell coveted recruits to go somewhere else because we like our high school looking track no matter what you think! That's the way to build an FBS program!!! :roll:
Last edited by JTApps1 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”