Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App and Boise State

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: App and Boise State

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Wait I thought we needed a new semi-truck to get recruits...[emoji109] [emoji441]

twitter.com/diesel933
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:27 pm

bcoach wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
NewApp wrote:I don't buy for a minute the getting fans closer to field argument. If anyone is honest with themself, it's all about the appearance of looking high schoolish. It didn't seem to bother Armanti Edwards, Taylor Lamb, Dexter Jackson, Kevin Richardson, Dexter Coakley, Brian Quick, Corey Lynch, Tommy Sofield, Sparky Woods, Jerry Moore, Scott Satterfield, Jim Brakefield,et al when they chose to come to Appalachian State University in the first place. If some prima donna athlete chooses to not sign with Appalachian just because of a stinking track, let him or her go the hell somewhere else.
Obviously you don't have much of a clue of how college football works Cline, it works about the same way as being recruited by a company. Better benefits, salary, work space (ie, stadiums facilities, stadium atmosphere) leads to better employees (recruits/players). It's really not hard. Thank God no one in our athletic dept has your logic, if that's even what you can call it.
John, Steve, Cathy, Sarah, and Tom work here! If some prima donna chooses to not work with our company just because we don't offer dental and a Roth IRA, let him or her go the hell somewhere else! :lol:
Well here is the difference. If you were interviewing someone for a job and they were not interested because of some thing like the track you probably would not want them. It would show how short sighted they were. Just not the kind of employee I would want to have. BUT. This is not a job interview. This is football and we have made a situation where these kids can sit back and call the shots. At the point where it is offer time we are not interviewing we are begging. It is kind of the opposite of business they are interviewing us not the reverse. Do I think it is pitiful that a kid would make a decision based on a track? Yep I sure do but we ( collage football and basketball ) have created a situation that we must now live with.
You're right about the begging, as such, it's a buyer's (perspective employee's) market. If we want the best employees we'd better offer a competitive perk package. Now, I think App State offers an incredibly appealing package, but some of these things come down to the wire and something as vain as a track might be the difference. I'd rather get that kid.

Recruiting aside, KBS does NOT photograph well. It's an impressive venue in person, but that track makes it look god awful on television.

Tract removal is priority one. I realize that I've strayed from our metaphor.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Gonzo wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
NewApp wrote:I don't buy for a minute the getting fans closer to field argument. If anyone is honest with themself, it's all about the appearance of looking high schoolish. It didn't seem to bother Armanti Edwards, Taylor Lamb, Dexter Jackson, Kevin Richardson, Dexter Coakley, Brian Quick, Corey Lynch, Tommy Sofield, Sparky Woods, Jerry Moore, Scott Satterfield, Jim Brakefield,et al when they chose to come to Appalachian State University in the first place. If some prima donna athlete chooses to not sign with Appalachian just because of a stinking track, let him or her go the hell somewhere else.
Obviously you don't have much of a clue of how college football works Cline, it works about the same way as being recruited by a company. Better benefits, salary, work space (ie, stadiums facilities, stadium atmosphere) leads to better employees (recruits/players). It's really not hard. Thank God no one in our athletic dept has your logic, if that's even what you can call it.
John, Steve, Cathy, Sarah, and Tom work here! If some prima donna chooses to not work with our company just because we don't offer dental and a Roth IRA, let him or her go the hell somewhere else! :lol:
Well here is the difference. If you were interviewing someone for a job and they were not interested because of some thing like the track you probably would not want them. It would show how short sighted they were. Just not the kind of employee I would want to have. BUT. This is not a job interview. This is football and we have made a situation where these kids can sit back and call the shots. At the point where it is offer time we are not interviewing we are begging. It is kind of the opposite of business they are interviewing us not the reverse. Do I think it is pitiful that a kid would make a decision based on a track? Yep I sure do but we ( collage football and basketball ) have created a situation that we must now live with.
You're right about the begging, as such, it's a buyer's (perspective employee's) market. If we want the best employees we'd better offer a competitive perk package. Now, I think App State offers an incredibly appealing package, but some of these things come down to the wire and something as vain as a track might be the difference. I'd rather get that kid.

Recruiting aside, KBS does NOT photograph well. It's an impressive venue in person, but that track makes it look god awful on television.

I very much understand what you are saying. I just think it is sad.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm

bcoach wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
bcoach wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

I very much understand what you are saying. I just think it is sad.
99 1/2% of these kids will not go to the next level and will have to go out into the real world where 99 1/2% of job seekers don't get begged to come. Again though I sure understand what you are saying.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:57 pm

I think in order to follow Boise State, we'd have to run the table like for two seasons straight where we just flat out demolish every team we played, like how we did back during the National Championship run, beat some higher-end C-USA, MAC and AAC teams and maybe a couple Power 5 teams before people of importance begin to take notice.

As for moving up, I don't think we're going anywhere unless the Big XII decides that they need two more teams to get their championship game back, even then the teams I think they'd go after first would be Boise State and BYU, which are western teams and would have no bearing on us anyways. Unless they wanted to reunite some of the old SWC and were to go after Houston which probably would create a ripple effect through the AAC, C-USA and Sunbelt.

All this expansion talk I think is premature, it's like asking a woman who just gave birth when she'll try to have another one. We just need to be focused on being good, getting championships and bowl berths/wins and gain the term "Perennial Favorite" whenever people talk about Sun Belt football and go from there.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:52 pm

boonetown1 wrote:Here is my 2 cents about stadium expansion. Now, I'm not saying huge, just a solid 30 "actual seats" and slightly upgraded facilities.

First of all, IMO, it will help draw slightly larger schools. Not huge, but more Wake Forest/Duke's....etc. If we can get just one larger home game a year, people will be more inclined to buy season tickets to ensure a seat for these larger games (especially at our affordable rates). Myself being in the target demographic (late 20's young professional/married); I do think we need to do more things to bring in my peers. Perhaps young alum specials/sections.

For those saying how will we pay for it? Think about it, if we are able to use the better venue to bring in more WF's/Dukes/ECU's; we can charge a little more of a premium for the ticket to offset the other games. For example:

24k for a lower game at 25/ticket = 600,000
lets say 33k for a "larger" game at 45/ticket = 1,485,000

......and that's a conservative price increase not including concession, apparel, etc sales. Also, if we can incorporate some classroom seating in the addition, we should be able to get more money from the state.

I'm just saying, it makes sense....IMO. Like the great Doug Gillin once stated "if you see a crane on campus, you're doing something right".
I agree with you. Any idea if Ark St had an increase in season ticket sales with Missouri in town this season?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:25 pm

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:45 pm

In my opinion we need to build a blueprint for success that fits our needs. Scheduling takes a partner willing to dance, but we need to schedule P5 money games that fit into our recruiting footprint. We should schedule home and homes against the best that the CUSA, MWC, and MAC have to offer. Winning those games will go a long ways to improving our position for the Access Bowl. If it happens to emulate Boise and or ECU then so be it.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 pm

I hate to say it but ECU has it right. They play middle of the pack to bottom tier ACC teams and come away with wins at a good enough rate, won their last 5 against the ACC, to gain recognition. They have a home and home with VT for about 10 more years, a planned home and home with USC UNC NCSU WVU & BYU.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:44 pm

I like the conference we're in, at least for now. We have several winnable games each year and a good chance for a conference title and bowl. If we could get to ECU's level in 5-10 years, I'd personally be thrilled. They're fun to watch, have great fan support/attendance, get good home opponents, usually go bowling and beat several good teams every year.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm just happy that we are in a place to even discuss such things. Onward and upward.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:14 pm

APPdiesel wrote:Wait I thought we needed a new semi-truck to get recruits...[emoji109] [emoji441]

twitter.com/diesel933
Good one, diesel. ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:I think in order to follow Boise State, we'd have to run the table like for two seasons straight where we just flat out demolish every team we played, like how we did back during the National Championship run, beat some higher-end C-USA, MAC and AAC teams and maybe a couple Power 5 teams before people of importance begin to take notice.

As for moving up, I don't think we're going anywhere unless the Big XII decides that they need two more teams to get their championship game back, even then the teams I think they'd go after first would be Boise State and BYU, which are western teams and would have no bearing on us anyways. Unless they wanted to reunite some of the old SWC and were to go after Houston which probably would create a ripple effect through the AAC, C-USA and Sunbelt.

All this expansion talk I think is premature, it's like asking a woman who just gave birth when she'll try to have another one. We just need to be focused on being good, getting championships and bowl berths/wins and gain the term "Perennial Favorite" whenever people talk about Sun Belt football and go from there.
Exactly. Planning for the future is essential, but being obsessed with it is not.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:28 pm

APPdiesel wrote:Funny that some people are complaining the reason people aren't coming is our tickets are too cheap...and that somehow devalues our football product.

Everyone wants immediacy with everything. We IMMEDIATELY want better OOC games. IMMEDIATELY want 40,000 seats. IMMEDIATELY want sell out crowds. IMMEDIATELY want the access bowl. IMMEDIATELY want what Boise has. Newsflash all of those things take years to build. New league, new opponents hundreds of miles away, slumping win totals, lingering hard feelings over Jerry, all of those things contribute to slumping attendance. I get it, this is a message board, we're fans, and we have the luxury of being rash and reactionary but I'm glad our administration is a little more level headed.

twitter.com/diesel933
At last a voice of reason and perspective.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm

Where's the guy who said I didn't know how recruiting works? Tooting my own horn, but I helped get Steve Rankin to choose NC State. He ended up playing a short stint with the Philadelphia Eagles. David Bryson, who I believe played on one of our App teams that beat USC, Wake Forest, and ECU. Rod Broadway was signed by UNC after I sent the Heels a video of him sacking an all 3-A conference quarterback 65 yards behind the line of scrimmage when Rod was playing for a 2-A team. You'll note that Rod is now head coach at A & T and beat us on our own field Coach Satterfield's first year as our head coach. Reid Squires came to App partly because I kept incessantly hounding him to take a harder look at ASU at the church we mutually attended.
Mike Hogan walked on at App when I was on the coaching staff of the team he played on. The deal breaker was that his girlfriend (now his wife for a couple decades) was recruited as a cheerleader for App.
Brad Childress was all enthusiastic about going to Davidson as a walk on basketball player, but instead, he went to Campbell as a scholarship player then transferred back home to Pfeiffer where his father AD. He loked at App, but App said he wasn't quite the caliber they needed.
Not even remotely saying I recruited anyone, but I sure helped sway all the ones I mentioned. Just letting the accuser know that I do know a bit about recruiting. Not much, but probably more than the guy who made the jab.
Google SUX

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Jesus..... Jclines still around? How many times has he quit the board or changed his name now?

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 pm

NewApp wrote:Where's the guy who said I didn't know how recruiting works? Tooting my own horn, but I helped get Steve Rankin to choose NC State. He ended up playing a short stint with the Philadelphia Eagles. David Bryson, who I believe played on one of our App teams that beat USC, Wake Forest, and ECU. Rod Broadway was signed by UNC after I sent the Heels a video of him sacking an all 3-A conference quarterback 65 yards behind the line of scrimmage when Rod was playing for a 2-A team. You'll note that Rod is now head coach at A & T and beat us on our own field Coach Satterfield's first year as our head coach. Reid Squires came to App partly because I kept incessantly hounding him to take a harder look at ASU at the church we mutually attended.
Mike Hogan walked on at App when I was on the coaching staff of the team he played on. The deal breaker was that his girlfriend (now his wife for a couple decades) was recruited as a cheerleader for App.
Brad Childress was all enthusiastic about going to Davidson as a walk on basketball player, but instead, he went to Campbell as a scholarship player then transferred back home to Pfeiffer where his father AD. He loked at App, but App said he wasn't quite the caliber they needed.
Not even remotely saying I recruited anyone, but I sure helped sway all the ones I mentioned. Just letting the accuser know that I do know a bit about recruiting. Not much, but probably more than the guy who made the jab.

And this is the post that finally convinced me to follow the advice in your signature.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:18 am

ANYWAY......

twitter.com/diesel933
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:21 am

Please fix the ignore feature on tapatalk.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:06 am

TheMoody1 wrote:Please fix the ignore feature on tapatalk.
Unfortunately I can't control how quickly or slowly a 3rd party company develops their software :). Wish I could! I'm sure it will be added back at some point but I wouldn't expect it terribly soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”