Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let's tawk Warhawks

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Let's tawk Warhawks

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:34 am

1-4 record overall with their only win coming against FCS Nicholls State, with losses to Georgia, Alabama, Georgia Southern, and a choke job against Tulsa (whom they were leading late). They are quietly averaging a punishing 95.2 rushing ypg yet a respectable 228 passing ypg and 100% fewer NCAA infractions than their cousins...err neighbors down the road in Lafayette. 3rd downs are shaky, field goals are problematic...I like our chances.

(Score prediction redacted in deference to the *OFFICIAL* BigC prediction thread later this week)

twitter.com/diesel933
Last edited by APPdiesel on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appmaj

Re: Let's tawk Warhawks

Unread post by appmaj » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:09 am

Hope the boys stay focused wit the rival coming shortly there after. #BeatULM

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:04 am

APPdiesel wrote:1-4 record overall with their only win coming against FCS Nicholls State, with losses to Georgia, Alabama, Georgia Southern, and a choke job against Tulsa (whom they were leading late). They are quietly averaging a punishing 95.2 rushing ypg yet a respectable 228 passing ypg and 100% fewer NCAA infractions than their cousins...err neighbors down the road in Lafayette. 3rd downs are shaky, field goals are problematic...I like our chances.

Score predictions? I'll spot the home team 20 (but a drunk lineman jumps offsides costing them the made FG), and we more than double them up.

Tweetsie 42
Tweetie-birds 17

twitter.com/diesel933
I don't see us putting up 42 points on their defense. I feel the 28-31 point range will be more like it. It will be very interesting to see how our run game does against this defense. Hardly any big runs against an absolutely horrid GState defense. Just hoping to get a lead on them early and relying on the defense to continue to be stout.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:28 am

This one worries me. It will probably be the closest game we've played so far and I would think ULM is getting tired of being a doormat, so they'll have some incentive to get a W over the home crowd.

App - 28
ULM - 21

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:31 am

Against GSU, we took what they gave us and really didn't push. I don't think we worked too hard to open up the running game because we really didn't have to. I also think that Coach Satterfield wanted to use that game to get Taylor ready for the rest of our schedule and bolster his confidence in the throwing game. I do think ULM will be a great test of this offense.

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:51 am

Yosef84 wrote:Against GSU, we took what they gave us and really didn't push. I don't think we worked too hard to open up the running game because we really didn't have to. I also think that Coach Satterfield wanted to use that game to get Taylor ready for the rest of our schedule and bolster his confidence in the throwing game. I do think ULM will be a great test of this offense.
I completely agree with you, we didn't push the running game because "we didn't have to". I think our game plan was to prevent injuries, establish the deep ball (gives other teams something to prepare for) and to boost confidence of receivers/QB.

Also, Lambs deep ball looked a lot better than in previous games. IMO, his arm strength looks like it is much improved on deep balls (in non monsoon conditions). He overthrew a couple receivers on deep routes, which I'd rather him do than under-throw on those shots.

Gnomeneer

Unread post by Gnomeneer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:57 am

Howard's Knob 45
Swamp Chickens 10

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:25 am

Come on guys , consider tradition and wait on Big C to start official predictions for the week. ;)

APPdiesel

Re: RE: Re: Let's tawk Warhawks

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:44 am

MDaniels84 wrote:Come on guys , consider tradition and wait on Big C to start official predictions for the week. ;)
Ha, I apologize for stealing any thunder from the resident Thor. While they are one of the better defenses we've faced thus far, I just think with ULM coming off a disappointing loss, the fact that we're mostly injury free, haven't given up too much on game film in the past few weeks, that we could make this a true "yeah but they haven't played anybody yet, so watch this" statement game.

twitter.com/diesel933
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:53 am

They certainly have played a much tougher schedule than we have. Let's face it, we haven't beaten anybody that half the conference wouldn't have beaten. I'm not belittling what we have accomplished to this point. For the most part, we have been dominant on defense and that is where success really starts. However, we really haven't been tested outside of Clemson and that game was over at halftime.

I don't know what kind of challenge ULM will give us but in two successive weeks teams have found a way to challenge us offensively. The good news is that we have shown that we are not one dimensional and have other weapons in the arsenal. Despite their concerted (and relatively successful ) effort at stopping Marcus, Taylor made them pay several times with his running ability, not to mention his destruction of them through the air. If we maintain that kind of balance and continue to play good defense we have a chance to have a great season. My only reservation at this point, is I want to see us do this against quality competition. That may come this weekend, it certainly will come on the 22nd.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:00 am

At home this is a big game for them to keep postseason hopes alive. They know how important this is so I expect them to come out ready to play. We are going to need to perform well to win. We're more talented, so if we take care of the ball and play strong D again I like our chances but I expect this to be a hard fought game.

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:14 am

ULM scares me. Their defense is good, but their offense is a mess.

At the same time, our starters have yet to play 4 full quarters in 4/5 of the games we've played this year. We've got tons of weapons on offense and we can score on their tough defense.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:21 am

App by 25. 12 of those points from Meadors' one-handed catches.

App 35
ULM 10

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 pm

I'll be the first to admit that our the offensive "struggles" (only in a relative sense) in the past two games have been a bit of a concern. I just think it's important to remember that we had both games in hand VERY early and nothing was ever in doubt. There was no reason for the coaching staff to open up the play book and in both games, we basically played clock management conservative ball in order to put it away.

It really is hard to know exactly how good we are. I'm looking forward to finding out though. It will be fun finding out though! Yes, they lost, but they

Just a reminder to those who like to dismiss Georgia State. Last week they played pretty even with a top 10 FCS program. Yes they lost, but if they were FCS, they'd be at or near the top of the SoCon. They aren't ready for FBS yet, but that should be an indicator of how far we've already progressed.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:35 pm

We had over 200 yards on the ground and Cox averaged 4 yards a tote all while making the deep ball a priority. Not bad.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Agree. We ve not played anyone other than Clemson who is worth a crap. ULM, record aside is the best we will have seen so far. We will need a new wrinkle in the run game. The off tackle right with Cox is now too predictable. I expect ULM to press cover and bring pressure to Lamb. Someone like Boyd, Lewis or Upshaw if healthy will make a difference in this game. Hoping we don't beat up Cox with a short turnaround and GASO coming to town.

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:07 pm

I say air it out....we need to use Meadors to keep him satisfied anyways.

Also, ULM scored 31 on GS. If their offense is a mess, then GS defense must not be great. Could be a high scoring game come next Thursday...but let's not look ahead.

Also, yes this game scares me.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:29 pm

boonetown1 wrote:I say air it out....we need to use Meadors to keep him satisfied anyways.

Also, ULM scored 31 on GS. If their offense is a mess, then GS defense must not be great. Could be a high scoring game come next Thursday...but let's not look ahead.

Also, yes this game scares me.
Georgia Southern jumped out to a big lead in the first half. They played soft coverage after that because they knew their offense would still score. Watched it on Watch ESPN. GSU is pretty damn good. Not worried about them yet. Let's just beat ULM and keep the momentum going.

Early Prediction

Rifle Carrying Yosef 31
Helpless Birds 21
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Leading up to this WarHawk game, I was glad to see the defense back to sound tackling...I know Hill is a good back for Wyoming but App's tackling was horrible at times including special teams. Tackling was excellent and pain was delivered at GaSt. This game with ULM might be a slobber knocker much like last years game. Interested to hear Big C's prediction and logic on this one.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Dangerous team. Dangerous game. All 1-4s are not equal. They are mad at their record, their last game, and their last game against us, and they are playing at home. We'll need the "A" game for sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”