YesAppCan
School: Appalachian State

App Linemen Learning on the fly WSJ

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:05 am

Rekdiver

Re: App Linemen Learning on the fly WSJ

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:47 am

If this doesnt speak to the urgent need to recruit big uglies I dont know what does.....

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:57 am

I hope they realize keeping their mouth shut and not trash talking/trying to intimidate and getting a penalty will be a big help.
Bring Your A Game!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:05 am

Agreed. I wonder where we rank nationally as far as 15 yard penalties goes? I would say, top 50 teams at least.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:52 am

I think it's bad that they feel some of the fans have lost faith in them. They have had a great year overall thus far, especially when you consider how far they have come since last year. Really only 3 bad quarters the entire year, one against the #1 team in the country.
To any players that may see this: App Nation as a whole is behind you 100%. Don't give up and finish strong. The loyal and dedicated fans will be at the Rock ready to get loud on 11-28. Prove all the doubters wrong!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:18 pm

We're 85th in fewest penalties per game and 87th in penalty yards per game (that is, 86 teams commit fewer penalties). So that does lend credence to the idea that we commit more penalties than the average team.

Worth noting, though, that teams that are penalized more than us include Alabama, LSU, Houston, Toledo, Temple, Marshall, and UCLA. And four of the six most penalized teams in the nation are TCU, Memphis, Bowling Green and Baylor. So any comments that "you don't see elite teams doing this crap" aren't really true.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/698

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:39 pm

I guess in some ways this is helpful for Collins to get these meaningful snaps as he is projected to be the center next year.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:13 pm

EastHallApp wrote:We're 85th in fewest penalties per game and 87th in penalty yards per game (that is, 86 teams commit fewer penalties). So that does lend credence to the idea that we commit more penalties than the average team.

Worth noting, though, that teams that are penalized more than us include Alabama, LSU, Houston, Toledo, Temple, Marshall, and UCLA. And four of the six most penalized teams in the nation are TCU, Memphis, Bowling Green and Baylor. So any comments that "you don't see elite teams doing this crap" aren't really true.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/698
I figured were high on this dubious list. We just seem to get lots of dumb penalties, most of which come in really inopportune situations. The elite teams have the talent to overcome penalties typically. Against crappy teams we (or any good program) can overcome penalties but our really stupid penalties seem to happen against top teams in our conference. I know that a lot of stuff happens in the trenches but our guys just have to be more disciplined. You expect a holding penalty from time to time in a passing situation but to complete a first down pass and have it come back due to unsportsmanlike penalties are excruciating.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm certainly not a fan of dead-ball personal foul penalties. Those and the first-down holding calls are killers.

But I also just think that we play aggressively, and accept that some penalties come with that. We've had a number of borderline hits from our DBs this year - some got flagged, some didn't. I'd guess that is probably the case with a lot of those heavily penalized teams who are winning a lot.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 pm

From the article, it seems like Collins, especially, knows that expectations are high and that fans (as well as his teammates and coaches) don't appreciate sloppy play. Of our 65 yards in penalties, I think at least 30 were due to his mental errors, no? Plus his low snaps were killing Lamb. If he's our heir-apparent at center, he needs to straighten up. And I'm glad he seems to know it.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Collins has always been an aggressive player that certainly plays "until the whistle" and that aggression will sometimes draw flags. Those can be lived with but the ones well after the play need to be toned down just a bit. I can't fault a guy thrown in at center in the middle of a game against a good team too much for struggling with the snap at times. With a long week hopefully the O-line will play more as a unit this Saturday and let's hope no more injuries hit that area of the team.

Go Apps, Vanquish the Vandals!!

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:10 pm

They feel some of the fans have lost faith in them? I think this is a crazy statement. It's just ONE (1) lost. I sure as hell haven't lost faith in them.

Wait, maybe he has been seeing people leave the facility too.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”