2024 Baseball Mega Thread

JTApps1
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2024 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat May 25, 2024 8:59 pm

We had plenty of chances but couldn't get the big hit. It's amazing we had a chance to get to an if necessary game considering our starting pitching woes.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:01 pm

Had our chances in the 8th and 9th….. really all you can ask for…. Real nice season boys!!!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat May 25, 2024 9:02 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:58 pm
We just don’t have what it takes.Beat ourselves all year. Tonight pretty much a microcosm. No surprise. Good season by our standards.
You've got to be shitting me????????????
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat May 25, 2024 9:04 pm

Stonewall wrote:
We just don’t have what it takes.Beat ourselves all year. Tonight pretty much a microcosm. No surprise. Good season by our standards.
I don’t think we beat ourselves this year. Beating yourselves in baseball means a bunch of errors, mental errors and baserunning issues. For the most part, we were good in those categories.
The walks were big issues and not being to limit the damage of a big inning. We just don’t have the arms or the studs to come in and stop bleeding consistently.
Our best season since 2012, improvement from last year! Not good enough, but now we know we can play deep into a tourney and finish at the top 3rd of the belt. Keep the momentum building in the offseason.

Praying for Jackson and other injuries to heal up, and for safe travels home. The boys deserve a small welcome party tomorrow! Go Apps!

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:15 pm

Team has come a long way from Jones that set us back years (thanks again Cobb for that BS extension on your way out).
A few more pieces needed (mainly arms/lefties).

Congrats on the season guys!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:22 pm

311neers wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:04 pm
Stonewall wrote:
I don’t think we beat ourselves this year. Beating yourselves in baseball means a bunch of errors, mental errors and baserunning issues. For the most part, we were good in those categories.
The walks were big issues and not being to limit the damage of a big inning. We just don’t have the arms or the studs to come in and stop bleeding consistently.
Our best season since 2012, improvement from last year! Not good enough, but now we know we can play deep into a tourney and finish at the top 3rd of the belt. Keep the momentum building in the offseason.

Praying for Jackson and other injuries to heal up, and for safe travels home. The boys deserve a small welcome party tomorrow! Go Apps!
I'm wondering what we could have done with Xuereb at 3B plus Cross and Brooks available to pitch. Injuries are part of any sport but those three are all critical pieces.

Still, a very good season that improved on last year. We beat a lot of really good teams and programs with way more resources. I'm excited to see who all the staff brings in this off-season.
Last edited by JTApps1 on Sat May 25, 2024 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:23 pm

I'm going to miss a lot of players from this team. We lose a lot of players. Hello transfer portal, please be good to us.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat May 25, 2024 9:28 pm

Kids played hard and with passion all year. Tried their best.
Base on balls was one of our Achilles heels all year and hurt us tonight.
Not sure if 16 is starter material or not...if he can pitch like he did tonight for longer stints in 25...and 33 is back and healthy, that is two of the 3 man weekend rotation.
We got some bats to replace.
Proud of the "no quit" mentality. Coach Smith seems to have a great culture for kids to come to Boone to play....
Looking forward to 25 as I watched more App. St. baseball the last two years than I have in the last 15 years..It is great to be a Mountaineer!!
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat May 25, 2024 9:34 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:22 pm
311neers wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

I'm wondering what we could have done with Xuereb at 3B plus Cross and Brooks available to pitch. Injuries are part of any sport but those three are all critical pieces.

Still, a very good season that improved on last year. We beat a lot of really good teams and programs with way more resources. I'm excited to see who all the staff brings in this off-season.
Yup, Brooks would have helped a lot as he was one of our bests last year. Xuereb would have been an extra glove and bat as a starter. For the most part we stayed healthy. Hoping for the best for Steensma and that he returns!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:40 pm

311neers wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:34 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
311neers wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Yup, Brooks would have helped a lot as he was one of our bests last year. Xuereb would have been an extra glove and bat as a starter. For the most part we stayed healthy. Hoping for the best for Steensma and that he returns!
I had mostly forgotten at this point that we were short Brooks and Cross. Would have loved to see what our bullpen could have done with them healthy. Would it have been enough to take us further? Who knows. I hope Brooks comes back, but the last time I looked, he wasn't on the roster. Don't know what the deal is there. Also, I believe we'll have to come up with some NIL if we want to keep Steensma.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat May 25, 2024 9:46 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:40 pm
311neers wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:34 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
311neers wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

I had mostly forgotten at this point that we were short Brooks and Cross. Would have loved to see what our bullpen could have done with them healthy. Would it have been enough to take us further? Who knows. I hope Brooks comes back, but the last time I looked, he wasn't on the roster. Don't know what the deal is there. Also, I believe we'll have to come up with some NIL if we want to keep Steensma.
Brooks and Lewis at the end would have been nice. But you’re right, I don’t see him on the roster. I felt like he was on it at the beginning of the year, no clue what happened.
Forgot about Zang as well, not sure if he was injured but his film looked good out of JuCo.

Not sure who’s got another year but we need everyone to return if eligible, especially Steensma. Back up the Brinks truck.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat May 25, 2024 9:53 pm

Pulling for So. Miss the rest of the way as the two teams on other side are both illegitimate jacka$$es...hope they have to play two and each game is 18 innings 🤣🤣
#99ForPresident!!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat May 25, 2024 10:22 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:53 pm
Pulling for So. Miss the rest of the way as the two teams on other side are both illegitimate jacka$$es...hope they have to play two and each game is 18 innings 🤣🤣
Truth

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat May 25, 2024 10:38 pm

USM is a good team but very beatable… good all over but not great. They didn’t see our best and we did not see there’s…. would have been fun to see that. They have been more consistent and that is mostly due to what we’ve been talking about……. pitching. They have some more arms than we do.. not overpowering arms just better command of the strike zone. It will be interesting to see who comes back next season.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun May 26, 2024 6:05 am

Dear So. Miss
Please run rule Stink today
Sincerely.
App. St. Nation
#99ForPresident!!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun May 26, 2024 6:46 am

Upgrade the schedule. Find a pitcher. Exciting team with a very good coach. We stuck with Kermit I feel like he’ll stay with us. Overall good year. I’ m hopeful for the future.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun May 26, 2024 8:19 am

Which of the guys have used all of their eligibility ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun May 26, 2024 9:59 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:19 am
I fear this might be a long lost.
Tolley and Holderbach are done.
Not sure about the others:
ASL, Boyd, Moronta, Wilder…list goes on.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun May 26, 2024 10:07 am

Tough to watch a guy not swing the bat in the last at bat but hitting is really hard. Butt pucker is a real factor in sports. I don’t say this as a slight to our guy because one dude doesn’t make or break the game but damn swing the bat or take the pitches but 2 check swings to end the season is brutal. I went to watch the high school team my boys played on in the east regional. They gave up 3 (yes 3) Grand Slams in ONE game. I told some guys that the other team had more hard hit balls than swings and misses. Our pitchers were ok but simply not good enough to get guys out. It’s damn near impossible to climb out of the losers bracket especially with this many games to play. In reality this should probably be a single elimination tournament because by now arms are tired. The good teams assured of going to the post season have almost no reason to burn arms.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun May 26, 2024 10:17 am

311neers wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 9:59 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:19 am
I fear this might be a long lost.
Tolley and Holderbach are done.
Not sure about the others:
ASL, Boyd, Moronta, Wilder…list goes on.
ASL is RS-Jr if App St baseball page is correct

Not sure about "eligibility" if covid years are still in play.
.The following pitchers have Sr.or Gr. by name on roster - Chirico, LasPaluto, Tuthill, Sleeper, Cy Smith, Cross

Position Players - Boyd, Moronta, Holderbach, Tolley, Aguila, Wilder,...wow 5 starters
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”